Charles Fischer

Softball Fans? I am Seeing Some Interesting Coaching...

Please forgive me in that I am NOT knowledgeable about the sport at all but have some observations that I'd love feedback on from those who DO know the game.

Paige Sinicki was a highly rated player, but it sure seems that Coach Lombardi sure saw "Star" and was right from the very beginning.  She is developing players, such as Scappoose senior Hannah Galey and I am seeing pitching changes unlike former coaches.  A bit more like what you see in Baseball?

I am noted "strategic" hitting where they are attempting to hit the holes when runners are in scoring position, as opposed to hitting for the fence.  The players appear to be well-coached on how to pull the swing to hit those gaps in the infield?

The Baylor pitcher ate our hitters alive in the first game, and it seems that Lombardi (being a pitching coach) was able to coach the players on how to hit her and relegated the opposing pitcher to the bench by the third game?  Whew!  Prettay-prettay good coaching to me!

Am I seeing this correctly, or is it my green-tinted glasses again?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I was thrilled when Lombardi got the job, and the things that Charls noted are examples of why she's right up there with Oregon's other great coaches. Hitting for average over hitting for the fences is one I'd go for. Homers are great and can still come from "precision" hitting. But the great Oregon teams were offensive threats because every batter in the line-up was dangerous. 

This is the time of year when Duck fever can subside into a brain fog waiting for any hints of progress on the football front. I'm not an avid fan of men's BB because I see it as the minor league for the NBA. Fortunately we have the Duck women to keep the fire going. Our WBB and softball teams are historically exceptional and nearly always fun to watch, er, listen to when possible. So far, the game(s) remain true sport without the influence of big bucks and stardom clouding how the game is played. We have some incredible coaches and staff, state of the art facilities, and very talented young ladies who simply love the game and play for each other. For me they are a bright spot through a bleak winter.

• Thumbs Up 2