Cockroach

Mens Basketball: Too Much Talent?’

Duck Basketball has too many 4 & 5 stars. Each player believes he is their best chance to score. Need someone to distribute the ball instead of playing one.against five. Too easy to guard, way too much dribbling.

Evidently there are no math majors. They have the talent they could still put it together and win pac-12 tournament. 
Go Ducks! Thanks 

Agree. But I don't necessarily believe it's the stars.

I think this is the first time that Dana's mishmash of new guys haven't meshed together as a team. They thought they had and then Cal happened and it deflated them.

ASU just a bad game. Then to have UA at McHale on the ropes! They missed a golden opportunity to save the season. I just don't see it happening this year. Sure hope I'm wrong but?

Oregon’s problem is getting too freaked out in clutch time. They always seem to play really good against great teams then falter at the end. Yes, I’m still salty about the Final Four game against UNC.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Oregon’s problem is getting too freaked out in clutch time."

Gotta agree.   Of course, the other team's defense has something to do with that.   Also........we just don't have that Alpha, e.g. Pritchard, Dillon Brooks, Aaron Brooks.........which is a missing cog of Altman's usual success.   Guerrier tried to do it last night, and,.........was pretty durn successful!   But, for the umpteenth time........in the end, Richardson was unsuccessful with the last shot.   I think he's 0 for the season on last-second-attempt-at-winning-shot.........   Gotta be frustrating for Richardson, too........

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

What was Richardson thinking?

Altman’s game requires a certain type of player that has exceptional reach, footwork and toughness on D, and a quick first step or lights out three point shooting on O.

Are there any NBA caliber players on this roster of 4* and 5* star players?  

On 2/20/2022 at 6:44 AM, geoquack said:

What was Richardson thinking?

He wasn’t. Was he not aware of the score?

The Ducks needed a three to tie the game. It looked like he was going to launch from behind the arc, then decided to drive. Bad choice. AZ could have allowed him to score uncontested and they still would have won. Ducks needed three, NOT two. Not the play you would expect from a 4th year senior.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:17 AM, DUCKED said:

Bad choice. AZ could have allowed him to score uncontested and they still would have won. Ducks needed three, NOT two. Not the play you would expect from a 4th year senior.

And it was Oregon's problem this season, too much dribbling. It was noted on TV that for the last play the bigs were out, ball handler's and shooters were in. There were 7 seconds, plenty of time for the inbound pass to get to any of them, then he could pass it to another one, screens could be set. Something to make AZ work on defense. Instead, Richardson gets the ball, is guarded by a big. But instead of getting the ball to anybody else, eventually tries to get to the rim?

And get to the rim for what? Two points?

The Ducks needed three!

On 2/20/2022 at 1:24 PM, DUCKED said:

The Ducks needed three!

Exactly. Everybody knew that, except perhaps, Richardson. 

I believe his season has been the most perplexing. Maybe he's not suited to be the alpha. I have seen him make so many mistakes this year that didn't seem to occur in previous years.

On 2/20/2022 at 3:07 PM, 30Duck said:

Exactly. Everybody knew that, except perhaps, Richardson. 

I saw it as Richardson couldn't get a shot off with that 7-footer on him out top so I think he thought he could drive and dish, but when nobody was open he tried to draw the foul and make the basket..... and thud.

I'll cover what i think is their top weakness tomorrow, which pertains to this exact moment in the desert. 

A lot of talking heads that Richardson was a NBA talent.  From what I have seen this year, he is a very good college player.  I could be wrong, but I don't think he has "it" to be a NBA player.

He had been on some mock drafts as a late 2nd round pick, but now has essentially fallen off all mock drafts.

• Thumbs Up 1