McDuck

Keith Hayward: Leaving Cal and Headed to UNLV

Leaving former Oregon player Justin Wilcox to work with former Oregon OC Marcus Arroyo as defensive coordinator.  Is joining a 2-16 third years coach a smart career choice?

From Football Scoop

UNLV: Cal outside linebackers coach Keith Heyward is expected to become the new defensive coordinator at UNLV, Bruce Feldman tweets this morning. We can confirm the hire. Heyward previously worked with UNLV head coach Marcus Arroyo at Oregon, where Heyward served as co-defensive coordinator.

Cal was ranked 49th best defense and he is taking over a defense ranked 88th. If he can show improvement, not a bad move. Arroyo job security seems tenuous at best, so probably a stronger move by Arroyo than Heyward. Taking risks always can be questioned, but it is what you have to do sometimes, good for Keith for stepping out of his comfort zone!

• Thumbs Up 1

Without taking the risk, when is the right time?  Go out and prove yourself, develop the talent, utilize it and open some eyes moving forward in your career.  I like this for him and wish him the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think you can be a successful coach without thinking, "I can fix this."

• Thumbs Up 1