Tandaian

ESPN Article says Miami QB Has a Chance to Win the Heisman

I guess nobody saw the Mario Cristobal's offense while at Oregon.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0302%2Fr980862_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Our team of writers breaks down which players -- both on offense and defense -- have the best chance to win the Heisman Trophy in 2022.

David Hale: The offseason hype surrounding Miami might already be too loud after the hiring of Mario Cristobal and a number of other high-profile assistants, but let's throw a little more gas on the fire: QB Tyler Van Dyke wins the 2022 Heisman trophy. Van Dyke finished last season as arguably the hottest passer in the country, throwing for 300 yards and three or more touchdowns in each of his final six games. So imagine the narrative if a hotshot QB, fresh off a stellar 2021, leads long-suffering Miami and its first-year head coach to the promised land, finally capturing an ACC title. That's a Heisman story!

Will it happen? Ah, probably not. There's bound to be some growing pains for the Hurricanes once the season starts, and we've seen too many years of dashed hopes in Coral Gables to bet on things changing all at once. Still, the possibility at least exists, and Van Dyke, who famously trash talked NC State before toppling the Wolfpack on the field in just his fourth career start, certainly has the swagger to do something few others assumed possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the take. BTW, when I tee off later today in theory I will have a chance to break the course record. RIGHT?

This is directed at ESPN and most certainly not you Tandaian, but this is the kind of 'stuff' that proves up CFB having the longest off-season of any big time sport.

How about Miami for the Final 4 and Mario for COY? OOOPS! The U has to play at Clemson and OOC, at A+M.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

when I tee off later today in theory I will have a chance to break the course record.

That's me, and then I have to play the 10th hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think cows will achieve flight first--just sayin

On 3/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think cows will achieve flight first--just sayin

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 9:26 AM, 30Duck said:

That was a tornado not a Hurricane-in a Hurricane they just blow over.

• Haha 1

Guest Axel

If ESPN pundit David Hale had only calculated the “Mario factor” as it relates to Miami quarterback Tyler Van Dyke, he would have left him well, well out of any Heisman Trophy discussion.

All of this is assuming that sports journalists will not cast their Heisman votes for the quarterback who leads the nation in handoffs. Bet your house and the family hamster that Van Dyke dominates in this area.

Last season, Van Dyke amassed 2,931 passing yards. Plugging in the “Mario factor,” (add decimal and shove it two places to the left), we can confidently predict that Van Dyke will finish the 2022 season with 29.31 air yards. (Not bad actually for a Cristobal-led offense.)

To be fair, it is theoretically possible that Cristobal may turn Van Dyke loose on the ground, and that he rushes for 1,000 yards this season. (It is also theoretically possible that Jupiter crashes into Saturn this Fourth of July and creates a sensational sky show for the grandkids.)

For Tyler Van Dyke to gain 1,000 rushing yards in a Cristobal offense, the Miami signal-caller would need to barrel into the “A” gap 1,000 times, the equivalence of bashing his head into a brick wall over and over and over and over (repeat 996 more times.)

The “Mario factor” makes it clear: Cristobal’s offense is always a rock-‘em, sock-‘em affair, and based on past statistics, we can expect Hurricane players to absorb most of the rocking and socking.

As long as Mario Cristobal remains Tyler Van Dyke’s coach, I will officially go on record and say that 96-year-old Dick Van Dyke has similar odds of winning that coveted Heisman Trophy.

Timeout, timeout, the evidence shows that Tyler Van Dyke may become the NFL rookie of the year, after college, but he won't look like a Heisman  candidate any time soon. The interesting thing is Tyler was, like Justin, a top pitcher in high school, something to ponder. Maybe Mario fell into another pretty good qb.

His this years recruit at qb sounds exactly like AB, so things should follow a similar trajectory once he gets his guy on the field. Until then expect, more timeouts, the prevent offense, and a qb playing way under his potential.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I predict at the end of next season....Miami fans will be worried about him transferring...

Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke gives Mario Cristobal and the Canes an NFL-caliber  arm and foundational piece | College Football | PFF

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Won’t take MC long to ruin another one.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, Steven A said:

That's me, and then I have to play the 10th hole.

Didn't happen today. Missed the record (64) it by a mere 24 strokes! So close, right?

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Didn't happen today.

Then you are using the wrong "course record".  What is the "course record" for a Fishduck Forum member with over 2000 posts.  Statistics never lie, congrats on today's record. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2022 at 12:53 PM, cartm25 said:

Anyone can make history if enough criteria is added.

That is why statistic show that 70% of all statistics are meaningless.

• Haha 2

On 3/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, Tandaian said:

I guess nobody saw the Mario Cristobal's offense while at Oregon.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0302%2Fr980862_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Our team of writers breaks down which players -- both on offense and defense -- have the best chance to win the Heisman Trophy in 2022.

David Hale: The offseason hype surrounding Miami might already be too loud after the hiring of Mario Cristobal and a number of other high-profile assistants, but let's throw a little more gas on the fire: QB Tyler Van Dyke wins the 2022 Heisman trophy. Van Dyke finished last season as arguably the hottest passer in the country, throwing for 300 yards and three or more touchdowns in each of his final six games. So imagine the narrative if a hotshot QB, fresh off a stellar 2021, leads long-suffering Miami and its first-year head coach to the promised land, finally capturing an ACC title. That's a Heisman story!

Will it happen? Ah, probably not. There's bound to be some growing pains for the Hurricanes once the season starts, and we've seen too many years of dashed hopes in Coral Gables to bet on things changing all at once. Still, the possibility at least exists, and Van Dyke, who famously trash talked NC State before toppling the Wolfpack on the field in just his fourth career start, certainly has the swagger to do something few others assumed possible.

That, and Crystalball won’t let him throw it!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, cartm25 said:

As much as it pains me to say it, I'm a little more bullish on MC at Miami than some - and definitely more than I'd like to admit.

We all laughed when he couldn't seem to convince an OC/DC to work for him, saying, "The word is out on MC. Coordinators have been warned and don't want anything to do with him." Then he got the last laugh by hiring what appear - on paper - to be two exceptional hires; his OC hire was the 2021 Broyles Award winner, for crying out loud.

Using the "floor/ceiling" rating system, here's my take on MC:  By virtue of MC's incredible ability to recruit players and coaches, any team MC coaches will have a really high floor . . . like higher than some teams' ceiling. But, until he embraces "work smarter not harder", his team's will have a limited upside, or ceiling.

Realized I swerved off topic a bit. If MC mimics his philosophies used at Oregon, then it will be an uphill climb for the Miami QB to win the Heisman.

Very good take.

Gattis 'fell' to Mario after Michigan 'disrespected him' by not giving him a big enough raise. Michigan was a run oriented team in 2021, running behind an OL that won the best in the nation award.

In the playoff semi-final UGA mugged the Wolverines OL. Gattis had no answer. (Like many CFB awards, the Broyles Award, IMO, should not be handed out until after the champ game. Ditto the top OL award. But ESPN's broadcast windows decides when the big awards, including the Heisman, will be presented.)

Kevin Steele? Kevin certainly did not light it up as the DC coaching for Gus Malzahn at Auburn. Another award winner who, IMO, is not all that. One wonders how long these guys will hang in at Miami?

Mario is in rich recruiting ground but he has lots of recruiting competition close by. First, he has to catch Clemson, a team that had the No. 4 ranked roster in 2021, and recruited a top 10 class in 2022. He has a long way to go to catch up with Bama and UGA. And Billy Napier at Florida is a far better recruiter than was Dan Mullen.

As us Ducks fans are painfully aware, rarely did Mario's recruits play up to their billing. I agree 100% with your take on Mario and the QB situation when playing for Mario. 

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks for the take. BTW, when I tee off later today in theory I will have a chance to break the course record. RIGHT?

I like this take a lot, Jon. Of course, he has a "chance", a WR at Vandy has a chance. But using past performance as an indicator of future production, a Mario coached QB won't put up Heisman winning numbers, 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would put more money on the Akron qb becoming the Heisman winner, and he has zip chance of doing it.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

What if he does succeed what does that say about us

Yes, this is a possibility. Another possible headline at the end of the season, How Miami Head Coach Turned a Heisman Candidate QB into a non-factor in One Season. 

If they could hide the talent of Herbert, they can certainly hide Tyler Van Dyke's talent.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/3/2022 at 5:54 PM, OhioDuck said:

Yes, this is a possibility. Another possible headline at the end of the season, How Miami Head Coach Turned a Heisman Candidate QB into a non-factor in One Season. 

If they could hide the talent of Herbert, they can certainly hide Tyler Van Dyke's talent.

Nailed it.  Herbert is a top 3 QB in the NFL in 2 seasons but you would never have known that talent was on the field when he was under the tutelage of the miami coach.  Sometimes the trash takes itself out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, Quietduck said:

What if he does succeed what does that say about us

He has already succeeded, he was ACC Frosh of the Year on O last season. But it is long way from this award to the Heisman award.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But it is long way from this award to the Heisman award.

Anthony Brown "succeeded" last season. 10-4 record, beat Ohio St., led the Pac-12 in total offense, 3,647. Another Oregon quarterback led the Pac-12 in total offense in 2014, Marcus Mariota, 5,224, and won the Heisman.