Charles Fischer

Mens Basketball: Should They Accept an NIT Bid?

The only way they are going to the NCAA tournament is by winning the Pac-12 Tournament next week.  Unfortunately, that requires consistent performance and I don't see that happening.

If they get an NIT bid...should they take it?

I say no.  They've embarrassed themselves enough; this is not the year, so no use fighting it.

AND...now do you play Bittle and Soares extensively?

Last night's game....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think Bittle is the Ducks’ big man of the future. He does some thinks that neither Dante or Franck can do…..and that is shoot the ball, even from distance, though we have rarely seen that part of his game. His instincts around the basket are impressive and he’s a quick jumper, too. 

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t played more, but Altman must have his reasons, and I trust his judgment.

Now, if the Ducks could only find a point guard who could score - just a few points - they might be the 4th seed in the Pac-12 tourney and have earned a first round bye.

$? If playing in the NIT delivers net dollars to Oregon I say go for it. Otherwise, pass.

• Thumbs Up 3

In 1974, North Carolina State won the NCAA Tournament, the next year they declined a NIT invitation. I can see that. If Oregon is invited to the NIT, I'd rather they accept, there will probably be a couple more Pac-12 teams that will be invited. 

Does anyone have an explanation for what happened to Will Richardson? He went from being Seth Curry like, wide array of shots and playmaking skills, Pac-12 Player of the Week, then O for 100 (or so it seems) when everything was in front of the team to play for. 

Absolutely baffling.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/4/2022 at 10:24 AM, John Charles said:

Does anyone have an explanation for what happened to Will Richardson? He went from being Seth Curry like, wide array of shots and playmaking skills, Pac-12 Player of the Week, then O for 100 (or so it seems) when everything was in front of the team to play for. 

Absolutely baffling.

A shooter never gives up. Will looks like he is resigned to being a role player, whose role isn't really known. He did score 2 points against sc, but 0 against the dawgs. He has to be asking himself what does he want to remembered by. The story hasn't been set yet, but this isn't he ending chapter anyone wants. 

You should accept what you deserve, the NIT is what they might deserve. If you don't accept it, you are just delusional. If the old guard has given up, give the new guys a chance to see what they can do at the NIT.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was at last night’s game and it was painful to watch.  If playing up or down to the level of your competition is what this team does, then just skip NIT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

Some sins are forgivable—carelessly starting a wildfire that burns half of California, embezzling a million or two from the company kitty, forgetting to buy presents for the kids every Christmas--but what transpired last night in that joke of a gymnasium at the University of Washington cannot be forgiven in infinite lifetimes in an infinity of multiverses.

How in Dana Altman’s name could the Ducks lose to the Huskies in such a critical contest? And to that most hated of all schools in all of recorded history? Blame everyone associated with Oregon’s bipolar team for this debacle. I even blame the pilot who could have flown the Ducks hundreds of miles away from the enemy campus, say to the Yukon Territory. A forfeit would wear better than the final box score.

So to the question: should the Ducks accept an NIT bid?

My answer is yes, of course, IF one condition is met—a total television, radio, and media blackout for all games. There is only so much torture that Duck fans should be made to endure.

Edited by Axel

On 3/4/2022 at 10:24 AM, John Charles said:

Absolutely baffling.

At the least, he's been battling recurring face injuries over the left eye. Anything that turn out to be chronic over multiple games will affect him, and any other shooter. There has to be a reason why he's bandaged up game after game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, Axel said:

Some sins are forgivable—carelessly starting a wildfire that burns half of California, embezzling a million or two from the company kitty, forgetting to buy presents for the kids every Christmas--but what transpired last night in that joke of a gymnasium at the University of Washington cannot be forgiven in infinite lifetimes in an infinity of multiverses.

How in Dana Altman’s name could the Ducks lose to the Huskies in such a critical contest? And to that most hated of all universities in all of recorded history? Blame everyone associated with Oregon’s bipolar team for this debacle. I even blame the pilot who could have flown the Ducks hundreds of miles away from the enemy campus, say to the Yukon Territory. A forfeit would wear better than the final box score.

My answer is yes, of course, IF one condition is met—a total television, radio, and media blackout for all games. There is only so much torture that Duck fans should be made to endure.

Of course, the Ducks won last night in one at least one verse of the multiverse. Hugh Everett III. One day he will be recognized for his brilliant math that 'proves up' the multiverse.

Great take, thanks.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, Axel said:

How in Dana Altman’s name could the Ducks lose to the Huskies in such a critical contest? And to that most hated of all schools in all of recorded history? Blame everyone associated with Oregon’s bipolar team for this debacle. I even blame the pilot who could have flown the Ducks hundreds of miles away from the enemy campus, say to the Yukon Territory. A forfeit would wear better than the final box score.

Your posts are getting to me more-and-more, as I enjoy your humor.  Great fun-thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There is only so much torture that Duck fans should be made to endure.

In the philosophical ethos one can only appreciate joy if they have endured torture thus this 2021-22 season has served a purpose, and I actually blame Jay Bilas, it was after he praised Oregon that they were blown out by Cal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Oregon was capable of being blown out at home, against Cal, a loss to the Huskies in Seattle should not be that big of a shock.

Guest Axel
On 3/4/2022 at 2:00 PM, DUCKED said:

If Oregon was capable of being blown out at home, against Cal, a loss to the Huskies in Seattle should not be that big of a shock.

This Ducks squad is capable of being blown out at home by Sheldon High School. The loss to the Huskies isn't a big shock. However, to essentially get knocked out of the Big Dance by those purplish dregs of humanity is in no way forgivable. 

Edited by Axel

Heck yes, and only play those who will be on the team next year.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Axel said:

This Ducks squad is capable of being blown out at home by Sheldon High School. The loss to the Huskies isn't a big shock. However, to essentially get knocked out of the Big Dance by those purplish dregs of humanity is in no way forgivable. 

It makes no sense at all. The Ducks actually did blow out the Huskies, by 28 points, 84-56, the Purple Dregs  image.jpeg.7e51568c0b09a07fb67c53700e216019.jpeg

had 13 points at halftime. This Blowout was by 11 points, but like the chill factor it felt much worse.

How does a team, fighting for 4th place, an NCAA bid play like that? Well, how did they lose to Cal. They lose at home to Colorado, but finally win at Colorado? They lose twice to ASU, but come within the last second of sweeping the Bruins and Trojans? 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, John Charles said:

Absolutely baffling.

He's not even trying.  He shot 0-3 the last game and ended the game with zero points.  His confidence is obviously shook.  Altman should make him come off the bench until he proves that he deserves to start again.  Right now, he seems content to just pass the ball.

Sadly, I don't see the NBA in his future.  He will get passed up and ride the bench all season if some team decides to take a chance on him.  If he is sheepish playing college ball, how is he going to assert himself amongst grown men in the pros?  His slender build will be even more apparent.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, DuckIt said:

He's not even trying.  He shot 0-3 the last game and ended the game with zero points.  His confidence is obviously shook.  Altman should make him come off the bench until he proves that he deserves to start again.  Right now, he seems content to just pass the ball.

Sadly, I don't see the NBA in his future.  He will get passed up and ride the bench all season if some team decides to take a chance on him.  If he is sheepish playing college ball, how is he going to assert himself amongst grown men in the pros?  His slender build will be even more apparent.

I don’t even think he’s got a shot at pro ball at any level.  Who’d pay him for what he provides: he and his inability to make a basket are a turnover machine…..that acts as an assist, I.e. 6th man for the opposition.  Sorry…..some college players just have to get a regular job, like most of us,I.e. use that degree we went to college for.

if he wants to stay in Basketball, he might try coaching…..

NIT?  Meh!  However, if they have a chance to play more games, it gives them more chances to: get game experience, and more work on improving.  Might mean some $$$$ and exposure for UO, too.   Ultimately, I think it should be up to a vote of the current team.

I think all the transfers and the roster is different every year and the one in duns I think that has an impact on the team even understanding how critical of a rivalry that is even if it's not football. We seem to step up for UCLA which is like the rivalry for basketball I guess

Absolutely accept invite to the NIT.   And then you play the guys like Bittle.   You actually don't play guys like Richardson because hes a senior and his leadership has been absolutely 0 kind of like his Box score.   

That may sound harsh but when you go to the NIT, and you win it, all you can say is "we're 69th !!!".   

So this is kind of like a tournament where you try to develop the young players and maybe you bow out in the 1st round but they get that experience at least and the seniors didn't really get us anywhere so the  seniors really aren't the ones that get to play much.  

Also at least you get a little bit of extra money or whatever and some extra practices.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I would like to see the underclassmen get minutes I think accepting post season and then benching the starters is probably bad for team moral and chemistry.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, Duckdude said:

I don’t even think he’s got a shot at pro ball at any level.  Who’d pay him for what he provides: he and his inability to make a basket are a turnover machine…..that acts as an assist, I.e. 6th man for the opposition.  Sorry…..some college players just have to get a regular job, like most of us,I.e. use that degree we went to college for.

if he wants to stay in Basketball, he might try coaching…..

The reality is that less than 2% of all college athletes make it to the pros.

It's disappointing because Richardson has the talent but lacks heart.  He often looks disengaged on offense but is capable of putting up close to 20 pts a game as a Duck.  If Richardson could shoot the ball with more consistency like before, then many teams would want him as a spot up shooter and for his defense. Last year, he had several NBA teams interested in him as a favorable second round draft pick.

He has gone on stretches, where he was shooting close to 40% from behind the arc.  We all seen him pull up and hit some deep threes.  For a player to do that, you have to shoot with confidence.  There's also a reason that he's won several Pac 12 Player of the Week honors and has been in the conversation for Pac 12 Player of the Year.

Right now, he's not playing like he wants it.  Seriously, what the hell is he doing?  He's throwing all his years of hard work away.  It's the tail end of his senior year, and he's right on the cusp of staring at a possible career in the NBA, and he is blowing it big time!  If he really wants it, it's time to show up and show out, not fizzle out and fade into obscurity.

It's disappointing because Richardson has the talent but lacks heart.”

I think what he lacks is confidence……as you also reference above.  It’s gotten to the point where he won’t even attempt a shot anymore.  Altman deemed him the Leader of the team this year.  It appears that responsibility was too heavy for him to carry.  He tried!  Just………hasn’t been up to the challenge.

Thats okay.  Some are…..some aren’t.   You’re right: he had plenty of good games for the Ducks over his career.   He just isn’t ready for the leadership role Altman had in mind for him.  Yes, disappointing, but……..sometimes it just doesn’t work out.

Onto “next year” for Altman’s Ducks!

There is only so much torture that Duck fans should be made to endure.

Couldn’t agree more! But this isn’t about the fans. This about time in the saddle. If you’re a coach, you never turn down the chance to improve, and the extra time to do it in. It’s a case of functionality over bruised egos.

In regard to Will, what happened to him was Jalen Terry. When he left, Will’s true roll went up in smoke. A shame he’ll not get the chance to redeem his game along side Dior Johnson.

I say yes, unless it will cost more to participate than they bring in. Even if it's break even, why not. I'm sure the players have worked very hard over the season and a post-season tourney is a chance for them to have some fun and go for some bragging rights, even if it's the lesser tournament.

• Thumbs Up 2

You play every game that is available to you. Its a wonderful opportunity for next years Men to get a preseason head start on the season. You Never turn that opportunity down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always believed it was terribly arrogant of teams to skip bowl games and NIT berths. We are getting what we deserve. Don't worry, I doubt we will last past the first weekend.

After the game on the Palouse, How About NO!

As of now now I'm wondering if the Ducks could defeat my D3 alma mammy Bowdoin?

Perhaps a better question is why would the NIT invite Oregon?

• Haha 1

Unless they can stop embarrassing themselves, no.

Next looming disaster:  first round tournament game vs. the hapless beevurs.

Edited by geoquack

On 3/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, geoquack said:

Unless they can stop embarrassing themselves, no.

Next looming disaster:  first round tournament game vs. the hapless beevurs.

Yikes!

Mr. FishDuck

Absolutely not.

I see no signs of life but with Dr. Altman still performing surgery, we may be writing the Ducks obituary a little too soon.

Edited by The Kamikaze Kid
  • Thumbs Up 1