Charles Fischer

Oregon Receivers Surprising at NFL Combine?

Not a surprise to me, as they were not deep threats at Oregon and had trouble gaining separation.  The newbies in the Alamo Bowl made it look routine...

OX4DMRIBFRBO5KOOR33WSZQAKU.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

It wasn’t necessarily a surprise that the former Oregon wide outs ran two of the six slowest 40-year dash times among receivers on Thursday, at 4.60 seconds for Johnson and 4.65 for Williams

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

In sharp contrast, tOSU had two receivers running sub 4.4.  

This is part of the reason I cant' pile on the AB disdain train.  Yes, he certainly had limitations, but I feel as though his passing windows left little room for error on many occasions.  

• Like 1

Hard to complete passes when the ball hits the ground 5 yards from the receiver.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nearly every team that routinely completed 3rd and 12 on a he Ducks all season long didn’t have any receivers at the combine.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

While I tried to be AB’s cheerleader as fellow fans were abandoning ship, I have to admit it seems the majority of his misses were behind the receiver.  Maybe they should have run even slower?!  😉

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guess there's a fine line between being the next best thing (the SoCal Savior), and an absolute dumpster fire that can't hit the broad side of a barn door.

2021 Completion % 

Caleb Williams - 64.5%

Anthony Brown - 64.1%  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, Jester said:

Guess there's a fine line between being the next best thing (the SoCal Savior), and an absolute dumpster fire that can't hit the broad side of a barn door.

2021 Completion % 

Caleb Williams - 64.5%

Anthony Brown - 64.1%  

Whoa!  Don't spoil the narrative with facts mind you!

Very cool you pulled that up, and I would have never known--thanks!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, Jester said:

2021 Completion % 

Caleb Williams - 64.5%

Anthony Brown - 64.1%  

Most of his “completions” were tosses to Dye in the backfield who was by far their leading “receiver “.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, Quacked and Scrambled said:

I have to admit it seems the majority of his misses were behind the receiver.  Maybe they should have run even slower?!

My thoughts exactly! AB was great at dumping the ball off to his RBs as they slid out of the backfield. But, not so great at anything past the LOS. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anthony was also very good at throwing he ball, strongly I might add, to the sideline. This was to a set receiver, taking advantage of the db laying off the receiver. One now has to wonder why the db seemed to need to give our guys that much room. It all comes back to one of my wishes, the need for speed!

• Like 1

Yes, how many of that 64% were checkdowns or behind the LOS

• Thumbs Up 2

AB hit a lot of wide open hash marks.

• Haha 5

On 3/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Nearly every team that routinely completed 3rd and 12 on a he Ducks all season long didn’t have any receivers at the combine.

That's because they threw in the seams and mostly to TEs.  The LB coverage was so horrid that you didn't even need WRs to convert third downs. 

Even this forum recognizes AB's limitations.  Yet in the second half of the Alamo Bowl, he threw fade routes to backups for TDs against Oklahoma's starters.

What does that tell you?  

It tells me the coaches spent less time solving the challenges  the offense had than trying to run the offense they wanted.

It tells me people look at limitations rather than finding solutions.  AB has a strong arm, he isn't accurate on a consistent basis, but he constantly led early scoring drives.

What almost always happened after that was the coaches expanded the playbook in ways that didn't match his skills. But we saw at the end of the year a skill NONE of us thought he had ( despite it being clear he had a strong enough arm). 

AB won ten games messing up things.  Imagine what he would do with a little help from his coaches.  

Georgia won a Natty with a QB that resembles the kind of skills AB has.  Neither QB is good enough to take over a game.  That means it is the coach's responsibility to take over the game. 

AB performed to the level he was given.  Not to the level he was capable of growing into.  

And yes, if you start WRs that don't possess separation skills, you better design that offense to maximize THEIR skills. 

That clearly didn't happen last year.  

Anybody think we don't beat Utah last year with our frosh WRs  after watching tOSU scorch their secondary ( and the way we torched OU's DBs)? 

Players will play to the level you coach them.  

Which means we don't have many elite coaches in college football.

Edited by Mike West
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, Mike West said:

Even this forum recognizes AB's limitations.  Yet in the second half of the Alamo Bowl, he threw fade routes to backups for TDs against Oklahoma's starters.

What does that tell you?  

It tells me the coaches spent less time solving the challenges  the offense had than trying to run the offense they wanted.

It tells me people look at limitations rather than finding solutions.  AB has a strong arm, he isn't accurate on a consistent basis, but he constantly led early scoring drives.

What almost always happened after that was the coaches expanded the playbook in ways that didn't match his skills. But we saw at the end of the year a skill NONE of us thought he had ( despite it being clear he had a strong enough arm). 

AB won ten games messing up things.  Imagine what he would do with a little help from his coaches.  

Georgia won a Natty with a QB that resembles the kind of skills AB has.  Neither QB is good enough to take over a game.  That means it is the coach's responsibility to take over the game. 

AB performed to the level he was given.  Not to the level he was capable of growing into.  

And yes, if you start WRs that don't possess separation skills, you better design that offense to maximize THEIR skills. 

That clearly didn't happen last year.  

Anybody think we don't beat Utah last year with our frosh WRs  after watching tOSU scorch their secondary ( and the way we torched OU's DBs)? 

Players will play to the level you coach them.  

Which means we don't have many elite coaches in college football.

Great take. Stetson at UGA, coached up. AB at Oregon and I should add Justin Herbert, coached at all?

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's pretty apparent that from Herbert to Slough to AB and maybe even Thompson,  QB development at Oregon lagged behind what it could been during the Cristobal years. Nix was coached up by Dillingham at Auburn to be SEC FOTY. The talent in the QB room is there, maybe we get to see it now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

First off, I think Brown was probably a lot better than he appeared....much like Herbert under the current miami coach, he was the victim of some of the worst coaching available in the NCAA. 

That said, here are some other stats that give a bit more context when comparing the two QBs side by side:

Brown:

7th Yr Senior

YPG = 213.5

TD/Int = 18/7

Yds/Completion = 7.7

Games Played = 14

QB Rating = 140.1

Williams:

Freshman

YPG = 242

TD/Int = 21/4

Yds/Completion = 9.0

Games Played = 7.5

QB Rating = 7.5

And Georgia's 340 lb. DT almost as fast as the receivers we had on the field.  Can I say it again, we need speed!

932e9240-9cd6-11ec-9eb5-3913f2d16249
WWW.YAHOO.COM

The Georgia behemoth would have been the eighth-fastest tight end at the combine.

KT ran a 4.65. Imagine.