nogerO

More on Oregon's 5 Star QB Ty Thompson

What does your crystal ball tell you?

Ty Thompson

Oregon football’s incoming five-star quarterback from Mesquite High School in Gilbert, Arizona has been awarded the Maxwell Football Club Offensive Player of the Year award.

In his final season at Mesquite High School, Thompson threw for 3,171 yards, 31 touchdowns, and rushed for 234 yards and eight touchdowns. He led his team to AAAA Arizona State Championships in both 2019 and 2020 and is ranked as the No. 9 overall prospect in the 2020 class.
The 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback adds the honor to a list of accolades that includes All American Bowl Offensive Player of the Year and the 2020 Ed Dougherty Award (Outstanding Player in Arizona). He was named to play in the All American Bowl earlier this month.

The big question is: "Can he fill the big shoes we have waiting for him at Oregon ??"

Well I believe he is an early enrollee so he will get the benefit of a top not training table and workout schedule as well as getting to peruse the playbook and make adjustments to college level football and the rain.  I think he will fill that as yet empty pair of shoes nicely.  The only question is when, not will he?

GO DUCKS!!!

EARLY

KT was a 5, I hope that TT gets a chance to get on the field and show what he can do asap. That means of course that Spring ball will be close to normal going in to Fall practice. There can't be a rush to get him there. But from everything we've seen of him, his potential at quarterback is unlimited. 

I think we have a lot of talent at the qb position. It will be imperative to develop more players than Ty at the position. Another player will lead the program early in the season and Ty will take over after the OSU game. 

Playing the Stony Brook Seawolves at Autzen will be the perfect start for Ty to take over the program. He may surprise us all and lead us from day 1, I hope so, but I think he needs to watch a game or two from the sidelines and he has at least 3 years to be on the field going forward. 

So I think he starts against the Seawolves, but if we throw him to the wolves, I mean Bulldogs, early then he truly must be something else or we don't have much behind him.

If he wins the job early on--the entire QB room will transfer out....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

What a conundrum to have. Does Ty start, or does he play back up, or does he sit for a year and red shirt? Some perspective; KT won National Player of the year in HS in 2018. Flowe did as well in 2019. Ty wins Offensive National player of the year for 2020. While Flowe got hurt early, every indication was that he grasped and was accelerating in the defense. KT needs no introduction. He has been a wrecker ever since he put on the green and gold and has been double teamed ever since. Yet he still disrupts the O-line. Both kids played nearly out of the gate.

That brings us to TT. Lets just clear the table and show the cards. The National player of the Year comes to Oregon....and we bench him? Red shirt? Uh, I don't think so. TT will be thrown in the mix just like every QB on the squad and if he plays as good then the dice will be rolled with him this year. Not saying that there isn't a treasure trove of quality QB's, but this is a generational pick up.

How special is he? Here's some other National player of the year award winners out of HS; Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Young, and Kyler Murray. Dominant Qb's! Yeah, TT's accolades are nothing to be skoffed at. He really has the potential of taking Oregon to the next level, from cute trendy pick to expected contender for playoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, 1Funduck said:

How special is he? Here's some other National player of the year award winners out of HS; Trevor Lawrence, Bryce Young, and Kyler Murray. Dominant Qb's! Yeah, TT's accolades are nothing to be skoffed at. He really has the potential of taking Oregon to the next level, from cute trendy pick to expected contender for playoffs.

Great perspective to give us...thanks.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

43 minutes ago, 1Funduck said:

What a conundrum to have. Does Ty start, or does he play back up, or does he sit for a year and red shirt? Some perspective; KT won National Player of the year in HS in 2018. Flowe did as well in 2019. Ty wins Offensive National player of the year for 2020. While Flowe got hurt early, every indication was that he grasped and was accelerating in the defense. KT needs no introduction. He has been a wrecker ever since he put on the green and gold and has been double teamed ever since. Yet he still disrupts the O-line. Both kids played nearly out of the gate.

That brings us to TT. Lets just clear the table and show the cards. The National player of the Year comes to Oregon....and we bench him? Red shirt? Uh, I don't think so. TT will be thrown in the mix just like every QB on the squad and if he plays as good then the dice will be rolled with him this year. Not saying that there isn't a treasure trove of quality QB's, but this is a generational pick up.

Great points, but it is the green and yellow, not gold. I do agree he looks to be a generational pick up at just the right time.

I also like the talk about each qb's ceiling. Each player has a ceiling and it will be fun to see where these new guys end up. We could have a couple guys who have NFL talent, but which one will win out. 

Think back to when we had two Heisman winners in one class, they didn't both stay, but we may have some very good players competing this spring, fall for the starting job.

Ty Thompson has been on campus since the first week of the year. Even if there are no team activities and everything on campus is being done differently due to the pandemic he’s already getting a leg up on adjusting to his new life and bonding with the team. Sometimes it’s easy to forget these are 17/18 year olds who are away from home and living on their own for the first time. Ty is in a new city and climate, surrounded by new people, enrolled in classes.

On top of those things that kids with no other significant responsibilities can fail with here’s a playbook to learn, workout regimen to complete, tape to watch, teammates to win over. No pressure or anything, but a bunch of adults are hoping you are really good at the thing we brought you here for. 

I can’t even fathom the pressure. At that age my responsibilities were to go to class and get good grades, figure out how to cook something, and to not do the following: get in a car accident, get anyone pregnant, or get arrested. 

Statistically, the odds of a true freshman QB starting are not on Thompson’s side. Before Herbert the last true freshman to do so at Oregon was Chris Miller in 1983. Burmeister did as well, but of course that was borne out of not having a choice. Of course we haven’t had a QB recruit quite like Ty, although Clemens and Dixon were both high 4-star recruits. It has also become more common in the last decade to see true freshmen QBs.

Thompson has walked into a nearly ideal situation, an open competition on a team that has depth on offense. Hopefully the virus situation allows for a regular spring of football, complete with a spring game - even if at this moment it appears unlikely that fans would be allowed. There wasn’t much of an opportunity for a QB competition in 2020, which was to Shough’s advantage. If there is no separation after the spring and the nearly inevitable transfer outs there is still fall camp. 

I don’t have a crystal ball, or at least an accurate one, but I do have a hope that I think many of my fellow Ducks share: Ty comes in and is so incredibly good that the competition is not a competition. We all know there’s a narrative attached, in the media and among fans, and if the hot shot recruit freshman wins the job it will be positive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thompson winning the job even bumps Oregon up a few spots in the pre-season polls because the narrative will be something along the lines of: superstar recruit wins Oregon QB job over incumbent starter and other blue chip recruits, Oregon looks to the three-peat as Pac-12 champs and make CFP run. 

Just my $.02. I don't think these kids see adjusting to college as monumental as we mature fans might think. We have a perspective that puts the importance of it all in a neat little package and then dissect it. For these kids, they are going from 6 classes 5 days a week down to 3/4 3 days a week, give or take. They are going to have more free time on their hands than they ever had. Also they have the option of taking a coaster of a class during the summer to keep somewhat occupied if they choose, which they most likely won't, but its possible. The real danger is the free time and your association. Oh, and sorry about the Husky reference....(gold)🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Ty comes to college with a 4.3 grade point average. I doubt too many of us came to college with that and his 5*'s. It is more likely just the goals Ratherbe expressed, I know that was my focus, although I didn't have a car, just a bike. The spring and summer are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I wasn't even a 3 point in HS. My focus was getting out of school and going to work. I've never known being this highly dedicated at anything at such a young age. 18, National player of the year, 4.3 GPA..... Ok, I'll just stop right there. That's a highly focused Young man right there. I have no idea of his character, but the results would suggest highly motivated and an over achiever. Winning is not enough for him. Going the extra mile seems to be the narrative I'm reading. Where does a kid have time to spend 6 hrs. at school, take the extra classes or at least college prep classes And perform at such a high level on the grid iron? That's a minimum 8 hrs. every day in school associated time alone. Don't forget homework. Yeah, I'm not worried about potential to wrest control of the starter position. My concern is the Big Stage. Can he perform in front of 60,000? If he's got the goods then get him acclimated.

Edited by 1Funduck

12 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

Ty comes to college with a 4.3 grade point average.

KT's GPA was "only" 3.8, Oregon is not only getting talented football players, but they excelled in the classrooms as well.

This isn't the Oregon football program I grew up with. Student athletes came away from Oregon as credible young men, but they often came with a nick or two. These guys are coming in already pretty polished, indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1Funduck said:

Just my $.02. I don't think these kids see adjusting to college as monumental as we mature fans might think. We have a perspective that puts the importance of it all in a neat little package and then dissect it. For these kids, they are going from 6 classes 5 days a week down to 3/4 3 days a week, give or take. They are going to have more free time on their hands than they ever had. Also they have the option of taking a coaster of a class during the summer to keep somewhat occupied if they choose, which they most likely won't, but its possible. The real danger is the free time and your association. Oh, and sorry about the Husky reference....(gold)🤦‍♂️

I didn’t mean that as an affront to Ty, he sounds like a great kid. As Hayward pointed out he’s also a super student, so academics won’t be an issue. You’re also probably correct in that we overestimate the difficulty of the transition, especially since these guys have a structured environment and support system within the program. 

It is a factor though, and us fans only see it when it makes news. A recent example would be Ge’mon Eaford, who had academic issues and needed to go the JuCo route. LaMike James has talked about how close he was to transferring during his redshirt year because he was homesick. We know what Colt was up to. There are others who left the program or struggled otherwise for non football related reasons. In this case we are not just talking about staying on the team, we want a kid to take over a job that automatically makes you a big name in college football

Anecdotally, I thought I would have no problems. I had really good grades, highly educated and supportive parents, played sports and did activities in school, was very outgoing, took a year off and had already lived on my own, etc, etc. It was still tough for me. Not academically, the first year or two are cake, but with things like missing my girlfriend back home, time management, partying too much, laziness - just teenage stuff. Plenty of people I knew from freshman year didn’t make it to their junior year, let alone graduation. Haha, thankfully for us Ty isn’t a slacker like me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RatherBe said:

On top of those things that kids with no other significant responsibilities can fail with here’s a playbook to learn, workout regimen to complete, tape to watch, teammates to win over. No pressure or anything, but a bunch of adults are hoping you are really good at the thing we brought you here for. 

Never thought of it in those terms, thanks for shining the light on it. 

12 hours ago, RatherBe said:

We all know there’s a narrative attached, in the media and among fans, and if the hot shot recruit freshman wins the job it will be positive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thompson winning the job even bumps Oregon up a few spots in the pre-season polls because the narrative will be something along the lines of: superstar recruit wins Oregon QB job over incumbent starter and other blue chip recruits, Oregon looks to the three-peat as Pac-12 champs and make CFP run.

Yea, I could get behind that. 

15 hours ago, 1Funduck said:

You may be right.

To all of this I say "maybe" and "what will be will be".

I'm still waiting for the next Alpha Dog QB who refuses to lose and carries the team thru adversity. A consummate winner with an obvious IT factor.

I think the Ducks may have one, but will he be identified and unleashed before he moves on?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Notalot said:

To all of this I say "maybe" and "what will be will be".

I'm still waiting for the next Alpha Dog QB who refuses to lose and carries the team thru adversity. A consummate winner with an obvious IT factor.

I think the Ducks may have one, but will he be identified and unleashed before he moves on?

Great point, and I heard stories about how Royce Freeman came onto campus, the team and made it known he was the alpha dog. I think we will know, again, who is going to lead this team come fall. 

1 hour ago, Haywarduck said:

I think we will know, again, who is going to lead this team come fall. 

And I don't think it will be anyone we have seen on the field so far. 

2 hours ago, Notalot said:

I'm still waiting for the next Alpha Dog QB who refuses to lose and carries the team thru adversity.

Whew!  Now that is a great point, and one that I kinda forgot about.  The Leader...  The Harrington type is what Oregon needs right now.

One inside guy told me that the reason that Helfrich lost the team in 2015, is because Mariota was now gone. The team so respected Marcus that they performed well in 2014 to make to the Natty, and the leader of the team was not the coach, but Mariota.  THAT is leadership...

Mr. FishDuck

Being respected and named leader is one thing. Improvising how to lead your men through the battle to victory through great adversity develops earned unquestioned leadership and great loyalty results. Berry, Fouts, Thomas, Harrington, and Mariota come to mind. There are others.

Is it too early for me to develop a man-crush on Ty? The combination of measurables, awards, and academic prowess lead me to believe that this kid may be someone special!

Ty Thompson, QB1, Day One

Cale Millen: Gunner

Okay, I took care of offense and special teams. Someone else get the defense into gear and see how high we can go.

KT:  Plays with Purpose, knows what he wants and puts in the work, leads by example.  I thought Noah was showing some leadership too, its in his genes.

DJ Johnson, I believe he will be the Special TE, just give him the ball and let him block for the RB's.  Alex Forsyth, center, I thought was solid as the leader for the O line.

Hall and Verone should be some difference makers this fall.