FishDuck Article

Three Questions Lanning Must Answer This Spring

Nothing beats the energy and excitement of college football’s opening weekend. But for all of us football-deprived fanatics, the start of spring ball comes pretty close. Optimism is in season; every team has a blank slate. Newcomers make their collegiate debuts, position battles dominate the headlines, and we even get a scrimmage to top it off. This spring is a ...

Source

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article.  I'm looking forward to Williams being on the field again because he seemed to be a play-maker like VM. 

I'm also very curious how the coaching staff manages the QB situation.  The temptation to play a more familiar but inconsistent Nix over one of the young QBs that has more potential but is less polished, may end up costing Oregon a great QB to the transfer portal, create chaos in the locker room, and likely set the team back a couple years while they develop someone again from scratch.

My hope is that one of the young gun QBs sets themselves apart this spring and makes the way forward obvious and they use Nix in change-up situations to keep a defense off balance.

Edited by DCDuckfan
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

It will be hard for Thompson to start over Nix in the beginning and I blame that totally on MC and his staff. He should have been getting plenty of minutes by the start of pack 12 play last season but that didn’t happen. If he does beat out Nix early then we will know just how good he really is. 

On the defensive side of the ball I’m not as worried. Our new coaching staff will have our defense playing on their toes instead of their heels with a controlled aggressive approach that will drive opposing teams nuts. This should cause plenty of havoc and probably will cause far less injuries than what we have seen the last couple years. Attacking defenses are much more fun to watch for all us fans.

Going to be a fun ride and will give this Forum plenty to talk over in the coming months. Let the music start.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Another excellent article Joshua!  Football fans get ready for Spring practices and discussions here on Our Beloved Duck Forum.

I'm looking forward to speedy open receivers, runners attacking the whole width of the football field, and an up tempo offense from Dillingham!

The era of Dan Lanning Duck football starts tomorrow! Quack!

Josh, if I remember correctly Ty only played one, maybe two series before Crystalball benched him for Brown even though his receiver dropped the ball that was intercepted! Even though the game was out of reach! Stupid decisions in my honest opinion. Why wouldn’t you want to get your backup some more snaps just in case?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Just Ducky said:

It will be hard for Thompson to start over Nix in the beginning and I blame that totally on MC and his staff. He should have been getting plenty of minutes by the start of pack 12 play last season but that didn’t happen. If he does beat out Nix early then we will know just how good he really is. 

On the defensive side of the ball I’m not as worried. Our new coaching staff will have our defense playing on their toes instead of their heels with a controlled aggressive approach that will drive opposing teams nuts. This should cause plenty of havoc and probably will cause far less injuries than what we have seen the last couple years. Attacking defenses are much more fun to watch for all us fans.

Going to be a fun ride and will give this Forum plenty to talk over in the coming months. Let the music start.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

Totally agree, really poor coaching to Not get Ty more snaps, totally bad decisions, so glad he’s (Cristobal) gone, I just sincerely wish he would have been able to spend more time with his Mom!😢

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, Dukduponquak said:

Totally agree, really poor coaching to Not get Ty more snaps, totally bad decisions, so glad he’s (Cristobal) gone, I just sincerely wish he would have been able to spend more time with his Mom!😢

May she Rest In Peace!

• Like 2

Spring football is like seeing the crocus's bloom. They are an indication of what is to come, but also tell us there is a lot of work to be done to before we get a full, well manicured team in the ground performing to expectations.

At qb I want to see if the coaches put out and engineer more than a manager. The previous coaching staff seemed to want a qb who would manage what was called from the sideline, and then changed from the sideline. The qb was suppose to limit himself to exactly what was called, as was the rb. My question, does the new coaching staff want a commander out on the field who does more than wait for calls and install a predictable offense. Are we, again, going to have a qb who finagles wins, and bamboozles defenses while exciting the crowd?

On defense I want to see what the Bassa's can do. Are we going to have players, again who just want to play football and excel wherever we put them. A return to the Troy Dye players who bring a passion and intelligence to our defense is what I want to see. The havoc meter should rise, but I also want to see the passion and intelligence meter rise on defense. This should also be complemented with a more disciplined squad, an extremely important element.

I will also look for the coaching identity change. No longer do I want to see a clueless coach who merely exudes intensity and strength. I want to see stoic intelligence on the sideline. There should definitely be passion, but that passion should be towards execution and savvy play on the field. No longer do I want to worry about the end of the game, or critical junctures. I want to again look toward what does our coach have up his sleeve, and the opposing team on their heals while they await the coming bombardment of well thought out, executed play calling. It will be the old Ducks, but just done better! 

• Thumbs Up 4

Man I can't wait to see the new defense!  With the talent the ducks have and more of an attacking scheme it's going to be fun watching them throttle some teams.  Quarterback wise, I think it's expected that one of the young quarterbacks will be transferring after spring ball.  That leaves us with two quarterbacks on the roster so I'm guessing we might take another for insurance via the portal.  I expect we will see quite a surge in players entering the portal after spring ball (CFB wise).  It will be interesting to see  who becomes available and how many the staff will bring onboard.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't count out Butterfield yet.  If Dillingham is going to run a more pro-style offense, why wouldn't the only pro-style QB on Oregon's roster have a decent shot?  Just saying he could be a dark horse contender come this Fall.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Great take Joshua, thank you.

OK, this is obscure, but I want to see a practice and strength and conditioning philosophy that can help, at least in theory, prevent all of the injuries we saw last season.

'Physicality' was Mario's mantra. I can't help but wonder if Oregon practices and the S+C routines were not too physical under Mario? Physical to the point where guys were unable to play; or, too dinged up on game day to play to their potential? Too dinged up to 'finish' games? 

Regardless, please football gods, take the injury curse off of Oregon in 2022.

Nix vs Thompson will be interesting to watch. Did Thompson get any coaching at all last season in Mario's Prevent Offense scheme. I watched AB play all season long 'with blinders on' and then I watched the 2nd half of the Alamo Bowl where there was 'nothing to lose' and Oregon players were finally allowed to be athletic. Viva la difference.

If you play football uptight and afraid to make mistakes you will not play to the best of your ability, and this kind of play also leads to injuries.

Thanks again Joshua, please keep the quality articles coming.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I don't feel the third question needs to be answered or even should be answered by the end of Spring. Ty Thompson or Bo Nix or Jay Butterfield... we need to see all of them get a nice chunk of snaps but who wins the starting position can wait until a couple weeks into Fall Camp as far as I'm concerned. Let them play, learn and improve and then let them show it all over again during fall camp. 

This isn't to say a starter shouldn't be chosen until the end of fall camp but the first week or two into fall camp still having a lively competition isn't a bad place to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

OK, this is obscure, but I want to see a practice and strength and conditioning philosophy that can help, at least in theory, prevent all of the injuries we saw last season.

Thanks as well to Joshua for the article!

As for Jon's obscure point, I feel like they have one of the real nationally-recognized leaders in the strength and conditioning field *still there in the athletic department* in Jim Radcliffe. We can read this older FishDuck article to remember this, and it's still true:

141108.RJK_.EMG_.FBS_.OregonUtah.0261-e1
FISHDUCK.COM

A look at the importance of the strength and conditioning coach at Oregon -- Jim Radcliffe

I don't remember the precise details, but my feeling at the time was that he was somewhat cut off from football when Taggart came in and brought the S&C coach who put several players in the hospital, and that separation has remained. Perhaps he could have a bit more of a direct role again? Nothing against the Mustache or the current S&C coach for the ducks, but lean in on his expertise.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't feel the third question needs to be answered or even should be answered by the end of Spring. Ty Thompson or Bo Nix or Jay Butterfield... we need to see all of them get a nice chunk of snaps but who wins the starting position can wait until a couple weeks into Fall Camp as far as I'm concerned. Let them play, learn and improve and then let them show it all over again during fall camp. 

This isn't to say a starter shouldn't be chosen until the end of fall camp but the first week or two into fall camp still having a lively competition isn't a bad place to be. 

Spot ON! And with today's free agency, why be in a hurry?

On 3/9/2022 at 6:53 PM, Viking Duck said:

Thanks as well to Joshua for the article!

As for Jon's obscure point, I feel like they have one of the real nationally-recognized leaders in the strength and conditioning field *still there in the athletic department* in Jim Radcliffe. We can read this older FishDuck article to remember this, and it's still true:

141108.RJK_.EMG_.FBS_.OregonUtah.0261-e1
FISHDUCK.COM

A look at the importance of the strength and conditioning coach at Oregon -- Jim Radcliffe

I don't remember the precise details, but my feeling at the time was that he was somewhat cut off from football when Taggart came in and brought the S&C coach who put several players in the hospital, and that separation has remained. Perhaps he could have a bit more of a direct role again? Nothing against the Mustache or the current S&C coach for the ducks, but lean in on his expertise.

The 'Shooter' did it Hoosiers. But darn right, hard to play ball from a hospital bed. And the S+C guy is the one coach allowed to be on the scene tear round.

If you can press a thousands pounds of weight what good does it do if you cannot max out on game day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:26 AM, DCDuckfan said:

Good article.  I'm looking forward to Williams being on the field again because he seemed to be a play-maker like VM. 

I'm also very curious how the coaching staff manages the QB situation.  The temptation to play a more familiar but inconsistent Nix over one of the young QBs that has more potential but is less polished, may end up costing Oregon a great QB to the transfer portal, create chaos in the locker room, and likely set the team back a couple years while they develop someone again from scratch.

My hope is that one of the young gun QBs sets themselves apart this spring and makes the way forward obvious and they use Nix in change-up situations to keep a defense off balance.

I too am hoping one of the young QBs takes the horse by the reins. Nix is a good backup option if they don't pan out, but I think that's a (relatively) worst-case scenario.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Just Ducky said:

Go🦆🦆🦆s

Yeah, I don't think their was ever a truly fair QB competition last off-season at all. Basically AB was handed the job. I think MC gets some blame, but so too does Moorhead, as much as I like him. He liked AB from the start (even over Shough), and I think MC deferred to his expertise.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, Dukduponquak said:

Josh, if I remember correctly Ty only played one, maybe two series before Crystalball benched him for Brown even though his receiver dropped the ball that was intercepted! Even though the game was out of reach! Stupid decisions in my honest opinion. Why wouldn’t you want to get your backup some more snaps just in case?

I think that was the Colorado game, right? Yeah, Thompson got no legitimate action in 2021, which makes his current status such a wildcard.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

Spring football is like seeing the crocus's bloom. They are an indication of what is to come, but also tell us there is a lot of work to be done to before we get a full, well manicured team in the ground performing to expectations.

At qb I want to see if the coaches put out and engineer more than a manager. The previous coaching staff seemed to want a qb who would manage what was called from the sideline, and then changed from the sideline. The qb was suppose to limit himself to exactly what was called, as was the rb. My question, does the new coaching staff want a commander out on the field who does more than wait for calls and install a predictable offense. Are we, again, going to have a qb who finagles wins, and bamboozles defenses while exciting the crowd?

On defense I want to see what the Bassa's can do. Are we going to have players, again who just want to play football and excel wherever we put them. A return to the Troy Dye players who bring a passion and intelligence to our defense is what I want to see. The havoc meter should rise, but I also want to see the passion and intelligence meter rise on defense. This should also be complemented with a more disciplined squad, an extremely important element.

I will also look for the coaching identity change. No longer do I want to see a clueless coach who merely exudes intensity and strength. I want to see stoic intelligence on the sideline. There should definitely be passion, but that passion should be towards execution and savvy play on the field. No longer do I want to worry about the end of the game, or critical junctures. I want to again look toward what does our coach have up his sleeve, and the opposing team on their heals while they await the coming bombardment of well thought out, executed play calling. It will be the old Ducks, but just done better! 

I think you bring up a great point about the type of QB that fans want to see. The good and bad news is that Nix is totally the guy you're describing. He's a playmaker and really has top-level upside. But he's sooo inconsistent, and we'll have plenty of turnovers and drive-killing sacks with him at the helm. Ideally, of course, Thompson brings the upside and limits the negative plays. Either way, I'm pretty confident both will be more of a "playmaker" than AB was. No shade to AB, but he was way more of the game manager you described.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, kirklandduck said:

Don't count out Butterfield yet.  If Dillingham is going to run a more pro-style offense, why wouldn't the only pro-style QB on Oregon's roster have a decent shot?  Just saying he could be a dark horse contender come this Fall.

I really, really want Butterfield to get a legitimate shot at the job. How quickly people forget that he too was a big signee at the time.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take Joshua, thank you.

'Physicality' was Mario's mantra. I can't help but wonder if Oregon practices and the S+C routines were not too physical under Mario? Physical to the point where guys were unable to play; or, too dinged up on game day to play to their potential? Too dinged up to 'finish' games? 

Regardless, please football gods, take the injury curse off of Oregon in 2022.

Nix vs Thompson will be interesting to watch. Did Thompson get any coaching at all last season in Mario's Prevent Offense scheme. I watched AB play all season long 'with blinders on' and then I watched the 2nd half of the Alamo Bowl where there was 'nothing to lose' and Oregon players were finally allowed to be athletic. Viva la difference.

If you play football uptight and afraid to make mistakes you will not play to the best of your ability, and this kind of play also leads to injuries.

Thanks again Joshua, please keep the quality articles coming.

I think you bring up a really good point about the physicality perhaps leading to injury. It's why many NFL teams like the Rams dial things back in practice, to preserve their players. Obviously it's different with NFL players, but that ideology may be worth looking into.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, David Marsh said:

I actually agree entirely that we shouldn't (and certainly won't) know who the starter is until later on...I really just needed to juice up the title a bit 😉

Hey Joshua,

Did you get a little pumped about this thread!?!  like your takes though.  🙂   I will say when I saw Butterfield play I thought he really saw the field better than Thompson.  Don't know which one will take the next step but they both have talent.  Just need one of them to see the light this year.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Without looking at other posts initially, I am emphatically opposed to starting Jamal Hill and Steve Stephens.  To be as diplomatic as I can, they are extremely incapable of covering elite talent, and thus a serious liability to the team.  

If you like burnt toast, those two should be on your menu.  Again, in trying to be kind, but I've seen both five to ten yards behind WRs on their way to scoring TDs on a very routine basis.  If you want to win the conference, those two must ride pine. 

I've seen a tiny sample of Dillingham at  Memphis, FSU, and with Bo Nix.  I'm pleased so far. Yes, he does set his game plan to the strengths of his starters. What he gives Thompson in the Spring Game will tell me if TT is truly elite, or bought(cough , cough- to get access to those elite camps) his stature.

I happen to believe TT is talented, but was reduced to mincemeat in MC's "I don't know how to use a QB" offense.  Nix concerns me in one area- consistently tearing defenses up.  If Nix starts consistently living up to his five star billing, then he can even beat UGA (a tall task, but when he is on his game he is a serious playmaker).

Hill and Stephens will ruin any title chances-they really are that bad.  I believe the talent on offense is good enough to do some damage.  Will they execute?  I don't know.  I subscribe to the Bill Walsh (49er offense) philosophy.  Script the first ten to fifteen plays to see what the defense wants to do, then anihilate their plan.  

In other words, football is a game of setting opponents up to fail.  Let them pick their poison, then give them an overdose that is considered criminal.

Finally, I think coach Lanning got a look at how you can develop an inferior QB into a better winner than even his thoroughbred (hopefully he looks at things as developing the best of all three QBs so they carve up any defense they face).  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Quackerbacker said:

Man I can't wait to see the new defense!  With the talent the ducks have and more of an attacking scheme it's going to be fun watching them throttle some teams.  Quarterback wise, I think it's expected that one of the young quarterbacks will be transferring after spring ball.  That leaves us with two quarterbacks on the roster so I'm guessing we might take another for insurance via the portal.  I expect we will see quite a surge in players entering the portal after spring ball (CFB wise).  It will be interesting to see  who becomes available and how many the staff will bring onboard.  

Great take. Flowe not being able to go full speed yesterday is worrisome. He had to be severely injured in the Fresno game.

Great take Joshua!

While there are questions going into a season where we have lost a lot of talented players and have a whole new coaching staff, what amazes me when I look at these questions is how many talented players are in the mix to answer them. 

In most cases it is not a question of do we have players to play at a high level at these positions, but which ones. 

A lot of fan bases out there would love to have the questions Oregon has. 

There's a lot that still has to come together right, but if they do this could be a very, very good team. 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:30 AM, Mike West said:

Without looking at other posts initially, I am emphatically opposed to starting Jamal Hill and Steve Stephens.  To be as diplomatic as I can, they are extremely incapable of covering elite talent, and thus a serious liability to the team.  

If you like burnt toast, those two should be on your menu.  Again, in trying to be kind, but I've seen both five to ten yards behind WRs on their way to scoring TDs on a very routine basis.  If you want to win the conference, those two must ride pine. 

I've seen a tiny sample of Dillingham at  Memphis, FSU, and with Bo Nix.  I'm pleased so far. Yes, he does set his game plan to the strengths of his starters. What he gives Thompson in the Spring Game will tell me if TT is truly elite, or bought(cough , cough- to get access to those elite camps) his stature.

I happen to believe TT is talented, but was reduced to mincemeat in MC's "I don't know how to use a QB" offense.  Nix concerns me in one area- consistently tearing defenses up.  If Nix starts consistently living up to his five star billing, then he can even beat UGA (a tall task, but when he is on his game he is a serious playmaker).

Hill and Stephens will ruin any title chances-they really are that bad.  I believe the talent on offense is good enough to do some damage.  Will they execute?  I don't know.  I subscribe to the Bill Walsh (49er offense) philosophy.  Script the first ten to fifteen plays to see what the defense wants to do, then anihilate their plan.  

In other words, football is a game of setting opponents up to fail.  Let them pick their poison, then give them an overdose that is considered criminal.

Finally, I think coach Lanning got a look at how you can develop an inferior QB into a better winner than even his thoroughbred (hopefully he looks at things as developing the best of all three QBs so they carve up any defense they face).  

Terrific take. I think and hope that under this staff all 3 QBs have a legit shot at the starting job. However, only 1 guy in the QB room has 3 starts vs Georgia and has played many the game in front of 80,000 plus zealous fans.

If Nix is fully recovered from his ankle injury I think it will be difficult for a player with minimal game experience to beat Nix out.

Transfer QBs starting for their new team is the way of the portal. 8 or 9 Pac-12 teams will have transfer QBs starting in 2022. Based on the fact that no Pac-12 QB was invited to the NFL Combine for the first time since 2014 this is probably a good thing.

Of course you have to recognize the right transfer. After Rising (from Texas) took over for Brewer (from Baylor) last season, Utah converted 56% of its third down attempts. No other team in the nation finished better than 54%. And Rising finished at 6 in ESPN QB rankings.

Nix has been inconsistent. But he was the SEC Frosh of the Year under Dillingham, and he has played against more talented Ds than he will see in the Pac-12.

Any QB coming out of high school, even a 5* QB, is far from a sure thing at the next level.

• Thumbs Up 1