Charles Fischer

Are YOU Celebrating "Final-Friday" in Oregon?

Today is the last weekday, while Sunday is the last day that the "mask-mandate" is still in effect in Oregon, and starting Monday--we are completely back to normal as you will not have to wear masks indoors anymore.

As it was, you enter a restaurant with it on, get seated at your table and spend the rest of your time there without the mask on, but put it back on to leave. (Stupid-as-hell...I can't make up dumber laws) In our office building...you must wear a mask as you go to the restroom, or walk into the building or out in the hallways, so I've complied completely.  However once you are in your own office--you are allowed to take the mask off as everyone in every suite does.

Of course if someone enters the building and is sick...just breathing alone gets the illness sucked into the ventilation system and within an hour...everybody in the building is breathing that air.  Perhaps that is why I got COVID, in the pre-stage one, in January of 2020.

One new habit that I will continue with, is the use of disinfectant wipes in all public areas.  The door into the building, the elevator buttons, everything at the Grocery store, etc.  I have not got sick since that worst-in-a-decade illness two years ago, and I think the wipes had a part in that.  Some may disagree, and others may feel the masks had a role in that too; no biggie, as I am not interested in arguing the points.

This is not meant to start a discussion about the efficacy of the masks, or wipes, or this state's rules versus others...I am just wondering if anyone else is celebrating today?

I started a diet five weeks ago, but tonight I am raising an Oregon Craft Beer IPA from Bend, Oregon tonight in tribute to our new flexibility. 

(Actually three IPAs from Bend, as I love Boneyard RPM IPA, 10Barrels Apocalypse and Deschutes Brewery Inversion as well.)  It will be a joyous event....Oregon Craft Beer IPA.jpg

Great to see no restrictions outside for the football team as they practice, and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling celebratory as I do?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Gutsy topic Charles,

I celebrate any easing of restrictions and getting back to the "new normal".  I dare you to find a better oxymoron (other than smart humble husky fan). 

• Haha 4

On 3/11/2022 at 10:49 AM, Steven A said:

I dare you to find a better oxymoron (other than smart humble husky fan). 

Made me laugh!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Three solid choices Charles! I'll raise my glass as I enjoy my Old 99 Half Hazzard mask free.

Too bad the celebration doesn’t include the end of dumb decisions… I will leave it at that. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, Drake said:

Too bad the celebration doesn’t include the end of dumb decisions… I will leave it at that. 

Dumb decisions....mine, or the state?  I'll volunteer it as...mine, and like you--let it go at that.  😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There will always be dumb, but hopefully there won't always be a pandemic. Here's to the end of the pandemic, although I am not convinced, yet. May we get past episodes where the dumb are highlighted.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

There will always be dumb

I just wanted an IPA!

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Today is the last weekday, while Sunday is the last day that the "mask-mandate" is still in effect in Oregon, and starting Monday--we are completely back to normal as you will not have to wear masks indoors anymore.

As it was, you enter a restaurant with it on, get seated at your table and spend the rest of your time there without the mask on, but put it back on to leave. (Stupid-as-hell...I can't make up dumber laws) In our office building...you must wear a mask as you go to the restroom, or walk into the building or out in the hallways, so I've complied completely.  However once you are in your own office--you are allowed to take the mask off as everyone in every suite does.

Of course if someone enters the building and is sick...just breathing alone gets the illness sucked into the ventilation system and within an hour...everybody in the building is breathing that air.  Perhaps that is why I got COVID, in the pre-stage one, in January of 2020.

One new habit that I will continue with, is the use of disinfectant wipes in all public areas.  The door into the building, the elevator buttons, everything at the Grocery store, etc.  I have not got sick since that worst-in-a-decade illness two years ago, and I think the wipes had a part in that.  Some may disagree, and others may feel the masks had a role in that too; no biggie, as I am not interested in arguing the points.

This is not meant to start a discussion about the efficacy of the masks, or wipes, or this state's rules versus others...I am just wondering if anyone else is celebrating today?

I started a diet five weeks ago, but tonight I am raising an Oregon Craft Beer IPA from Bend, Oregon tonight in tribute to our new flexibility. 

(Actually three IPAs from Bend, as I love Boneyard RPM IPA, 10Barrels Apocalypse and Deschutes Brewery Inversion as well.)  It will be a joyous event....Oregon Craft Beer IPA.jpg

Great to see no restrictions outside for the football team as they practice, and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling celebratory as I do?

Glad you recovered. But 3? That's a good start.

• Haha 1

Wow!!! I live in Florida where we haven’t had to wear masks in ages, probably since the pandemic first started!!! I hope all enjoy this new found freedom!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I always thought it was funny in a weird way to walk into a bank with everybody wearing a mask including the employees and the security guard.🥴

• Haha 3

Ill just say that its time to start to get back to normal--Im happy about that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I once got a new job, while my young wife was employed at the US Bank branch on the Oregon Campus.

It was rush week, so there were TONS of new enrollees in making deposits, opening new accounts, and other fun stuff.

I walked in and waited until I could get face to face with her to announce the news.

Without considering the potential consequences, I proudly announced the job title... Pretty much everyone around me started squealing and backing away!

When you think about it, "I'm a HOLD-UP MAN", probably wasn't the best choice of words!

When this pandemic first began, my bank insisted that as we entered the building, customers needed to stop, drop the mask, and face the camera, then replace the face covering before proceeding.

Let's just say the words, "Boone's Farm" will not have anything to do with my beverage of choice this evening!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I guess I'm on a different page. I'll continue to wear my mask for a while longer in certain circumstances (going to Fred Meyer, for example).

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

Yes, we in my household are indeed celebrating the end of mandatory masking.

We are planning going out somewhere every day next week to celebrate. 

It's been a long two years.

I won't say we'll get back to "normal" because these past 3 years have continued to create "new normals" for us as we have learned to adjust to multiple life changes, so I'm not sure what "normal" is.

We are grateful to no longer have to wear those things and more happy that are grandkids won't have to.

And now spring football practice has started!! Can life get any better here in Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, Annie said:

I guess I'm on a different page. I'll continue to wear my mask for a while longer in certain circumstances (going to Fred Meyer, for example).

Good for you. I'm just grateful to have the option. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

No reason to celebrate.  The virus is still here and will assuredly ramp up again at some point with a new variant.  I will continue to wear a mask in most public situations regardless of the new regs.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 3/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, geoquack said:

No reason to celebrate.  The virus is still here and will assuredly ramp up again at some point with a new variant.  I will continue to wear a mask in most public situations regardless of the new regs.

Yes. Now the mask wearers will get to be the rebels!

• Haha 1

Live in Texas, don't have to wear a mask down here but if someone wants to wear one feel free.  I am truly envious though of your beer selection Charles.  Some pretty good beers down here in Texas but its pretty damn hard to beat a good Oregon IPA!

On 3/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, geoquack said:

I have not celebrating the virus, and I think you know that. But you are clearly not celebrating “Final Friday,” and that’s fine with me.

Now back to our usual Duck discussion…

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Yes. Now the mask wearers will get to be the rebels!

I will refrain from a response in order to keep the peace.  Sigh.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, woundedknees said:

When this pandemic first began, my bank insisted that as we entered the building, customers needed to stop, drop the mask, and face the camera, then replace the face covering before proceeding.

Now that is not dumb, the rest of the banks are in the dumber category.

I am not really celebrating because of the mask regs being lifted, since I for one was an early adopter of wearing a face covering even before it became required! That was when you really DID feel like a rebel haha.

And although I got dinged by the financial effects of being laid off and having to change careers, neither I nor anyone in my immediate family got sick. Luck or careful living, we will never know 😉

But I do celebrate the fact that things have gotten so much better that even the more cautious states feel it's an appropriate time to get back to 'normal.' It's been a hard time and, despite the bitter national/political rhetoric, I really felt like almost all the people I interacted with in daily life pulled together and acted neighborly with each other during a difficult and disastrous period of our collective history.

That's the sort of spirit that I think we all see here on this forum as well, and it keeps your faith up in us being able to get through things like this. So as they'd say in a more British way, cheers to all of you!

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, Chuck Duck said:

Wow!!! I live in Florida where we haven’t had to wear masks in ages, probably since the pandemic first started!!! I hope all enjoy this new found freedom!!!

Chuck Duck you broke what I thought was the 'political discussion wall.'

Florida? Ditto South Carolina. It concerns me regarding matters of 'science' that the representatives of some people see it one way when others see it the other way. This is far from a scientific approach.

In South Carolina, small businesses were not shut down into oblivion. We had what I call reasonable COVID constraints imposed in South Carolina. Per capita we had no significant difference in deaths than happened in states that were far more COVID restricted.

I miss living in Bend, OR, but I prefer the libertarian government in which I live today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, Steven A said:

Now that is not dumb, the rest of the banks are in the dumber category.

Then again, how many cameras caught COVID? I'm kidding but as far as cameras are concerned, it's all good.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I always thought it was funny in a weird way to walk into a bank with everybody wearing a mask including the employees and the security guard.🥴

I can Just Imagine, the Police Line Up.

• Haha 1

Boneyard Hop Venom is my go to... 9.4 on the richter scale, enjoy @ home or have designated duck driver.

• Thanks 1