Charles Fischer

A COLLEGE Player HOLDS OUT for Lack of NIL Deal?

Can you blame him?  A junior in high school who has not contributed a thing yet to a college team is signed for 8 million?

jarvis-brownlee.png
WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Read “REPORT: Florida State DB Becomes First College Player To Hold Out Due To Lack Of NIL Deal ” and other Football, NCAA articles from Total Pro Sports.

I want my MONEY FOR NOTHING!

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for the post Charles. Between this post and yesterday's take on the possibility of a QB recruit being paid $8M to attend Tennessee, I do not believe there is a scintilla of a connection between the CFB we have watched for decades and what we are seeing today. 

Frankly, I am depressed. If I want to watch pro football I can do so on Sunday where the NFL makes a collective effort, in concert with the players, to arrive at roster parity. It is not always the case, but consider the 2021 NFL playoffs from the quarter-finals on that for the most part gave us hotly contested, competitive games. (BTW, games that for the most part finished within the allotted broadcast time.) Compare this to the blow outs we most often witness in the CFB semi-final games. 

Michigan and Cincinnati in 2021 were very good college football teams. Both were mugged by SEC teams in their semi-final game. 

Simply look at the roster rankings coming into the 2022 season. 3 of the final 4 teams, at least, will be in the top 8 roster rankings. 

Then add to this roster disparity scheduling disparity. How do you hold a 'playoff' when contenders for playoff participation do not play the same number of conference games. In 2019, if Oregon plays Portland State at home instead of tripping to ASU for its 4th cross over and 9th conference game, the Ducks is in the playoff. And a 2nd Pac-12 team is in a NY6 money bowl game.

I love this board and my Ducks brothers and sisters on this board and I will continue to chime in (likely to the chagrin of many.) But my following CFB with zeal is over and out. I am but one soul; however, I am seeing this same attitude of mine across the entire country.

Money is not evil. The love of money is evil. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 3

Thanks for summing it up, Jon. Unfortunately, this news is neither surprising nor disappointing. The NIL just dropped out of the sky, and nobody has any idea what to with it. College football is now just another part of the entertainment colossus. 

• Thumbs Up 1

To paraphrase an old saying "There is no NIL in team".

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Next up, tutors wanting a piece of the NIL from the players they are keeping eligible.  Can't wait.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

My friends....you gotta hide your surprise, I mean, what did you think was going to happen?  And now it is....you are surprised?

We have a small window of the "old" college football, and I am going to enjoy it while I can.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think Justin Herbert, as a top 10 pick, is going to average about $6.6 million per year over his first four year contract.

Imagine paying a high school kid $8 million to just show up on campus?

We may also see a kid like Bryce Young (Alabama), who should be off to the pros after this next season, get an NIL offer to come back to Alabama for another additional year, because as a top 5 NFL pick, he might be slotted at about 8 million, when Alabama's NIL group might offer him 10 million.

Go to a bottom feeder NFL club or stay and make a couple extra million playing for (another) national championship?  He still would be getting his first NFL contract going at a young age if he stayed for a 4th (or maybe even 5th) year. 

Take less money and go get beat up over 17 games in Detroit, or in Carolina, or with the Jets, on take more money and stay and play for national championships with all the best talent in Alabama?

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t have enough knowledge to comment intelligently about NIL. However, it seems to me that a college education is still going to be more important to the largest percentage of “student athletes” in the long run. 

This subject reflects just one problem with the current structure of NIL payments. There are certainly many more scenarios that can potentially derail a “team” that has highly paid vs. non-paid athletes. 

Currently NIL is in it’s infancy and money is going to be thrown around haphazardly. Sustainability of NIL cash flows is probably going to be much more important than a one time lump sum payment to an individual. 

As it stands now, only a few teams are competitive for a National title. That is not going to change. However, some of the contenders might. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think these outrageous NIL money amounts are going to be awful for team chemistry. This will be especially true if the recipient doesn't live up to potential. Jealousy can show its ugly head and how can a team bond around these circumstances to play well for a season?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I think these outrageous NIL money amounts are going to be awful for team chemistry. This will be especially true if the recipient doesn't live up to potential. Jealousy can show its ugly head and how can a team bond around these circumstances to play well for a season?

I agree. I think part of Clemson's 'difficulties' (Tigers still went 10-3 last season) in 2021, was the result of DGU scoring the big Doctor Pepper deal and then throwing 9 TDs and 10 Ints. 

These insane, inane NIL deals will affect the locker room. How can they not? 

I do not begrudge anyone making money, even money well beyond their market value. But I bemoan the obvious, loyalty from coaches on down is now a myth. Travis Dye heading to LA was for me, a kick in the guts. Far more so than Chip, Slick + Mario leaving. 

I understand and fully support Charles' position to support what is left. I more than many, am not surprised that CFB has become all about the Benjies. I have, in a Cassandra-like manner, been predicting this for years. 

I simply HATE, there is no other word for it, that from the inception of the BCS you could see this coming from the proverbial mile away. And if a dolt like I could see this coming, where were the august leaders of the Conference of Champions?

I have nothing but love for the Ducks, Charles, and the good people who populate this great board. And much love for the folks who show up at Autzen on game day. 

I have nothing but disdain for 'leaders' of the Pac-12 who bought into 'this' and allowed 'this' to happen. 30 Duck is spot on. CFB is simply part of an entertainment colossus. And the colossus on the Left Coast, football-wise, is left picking up the pieces.

But please adopt Charles' and not this old man's attitude. My being grumpy does not mean that Oregon one day cannot win it all in CFB and CBB.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 1:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I do not begrudge anyone making money, even money well beyond their market value. But I bemoan the obvious, loyalty from coaches on down is now a myth. Travis Dye heading to LA was for me, a kick in the guts. Far more so than Chip, Slick + Mario leaving. 

I understand and fully support Charles' position to support what is left. I more than many, am not surprised that CFB has become all about the Benjies. I have, in a Cassandra-like manner, been predicting this for years. 

Nobody is going disdain your grumpy old man attitude; I look for your posts when I log on here, because they are excellent!

I have a feeling that a longing for how things used to be was part of the reason why the 'old time players' agitated for Wilcox becoming the next head coach, and part of the reason why I supported that idea too. The changing landscape of the NIL maybe was part of the reason why he turned the job down. I realize it was a contentious issue and I am in the minority with my opinion about that hire! But I think there is a connection.

I imagine in the end that market value will end up putting some limitations on how much money gets thrown around. At some point,  you cannot pay 85 players 8 million a year and still get any revenue, and the donors are not going to chip up that much money unless they are getting championships every year... and maybe not even if they are.

But it seems like we are in for a year or two of the wild west, with great discrepancy in how much players are earning and accusations of rich schools buying their way into the championship.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

This is just the beginning of what I predicted.  Soon, as more and more players are signed for big money, the rumors of a super conference will become prevalent.  Most likely that will happen and that will be the beginning of the end of college football as we know it.  Smaller conferences will cease playing football.  Who will be the savior if there is one.  It very easily could be the Pros.  Why, because their source of players will start drying up.  Just a hunch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gone full circle. The fledgling pro leagues could not compete with the colleges for top tier players,

On 3/13/2022 at 1:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

My being grumpy does not mean that Oregon one day cannot win it all in CFB and CBB.

If it does, I'll start a go fund me for your brain transplant.   Otherwise, keep the curmudgeonese coming as it is insightful, entertaining and welcomed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to be on the fence about NIL with serious misgivings about how it was structured.  Now that those concerns are starting to emerge, I have to say I'm now against it.  I wish college football would go back to what it was before.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is actually a very good thing to happen or potentially good anyways. 

A player sitting out spring ball because he is not getting paid enough to his liking is going to accelerate this whole NIL insanity... Now I know what some of you are thinking that that would be a bad thing... 

Well bad for the short run yes... But the lonn run is pulling NIL into line with something that is reasonable. Right now there is a whole lot of money flying around because it can... But once there is a large enough number of players who don't give a good return on investment the money flow is going to slow. 

A player refusing to literally play ball because of not enough money is going to drive some investers away. I feel someone is going to probably pay this kid but that will drive other investers away as they see this sort of behavior rewarded. 

NIL will get rules and be tempered at some point... But when that happens all comes down to just how crazy and insane it has to get first... So this is just accelerating the process so maybe we see some rule changes at some point sooner. 

Other thing to think about ... Scholarships are contracts... We may see some of those rules get tightened up first concerning opting out of practices. 

• Like 1

Hugh McElhenny reportedly said going to the NFL meant a pay cut from what he got from boosters of the Dirty Dogs of the North.  Hugh's teams went 11-8-1 during his time at Washington but that didn't slow down the money pipeline. 

For years cars and cash have flowed freely in the SEC yet the same few programs rule the top of the standings.  All those lucrative handshakes didn't really change results on the field yet they continued unabated.

Hope springs eternal, each year is a new season.  Wealthy donors don't think about the NIL recipients that don't work out--surely the next recruit will lead them to the promised land.  Lack of success didn't stop under the table payments, why would that change now that it is no longer cheating?

I doubt NIL sanity will prevail without a governing body to set rules and then enforce them.  At this time we don't have such an entity.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:06 AM, David Marsh said:

This is actually a very good thing to happen or potentially good anyways. 

A player sitting out spring ball because he is not getting paid enough to his liking is going to accelerate this whole NIL insanity... Now I know what some of you are thinking that that would be a bad thing... 

Well bad for the short run yes... But the lonn run is pulling NIL into line with something that is reasonable. Right now there is a whole lot of money flying around because it can... But once there is a large enough number of players who don't give a good return on investment the money flow is going to slow. 

A player refusing to literally play ball because of not enough money is going to drive some investers away. I feel someone is going to probably pay this kid but that will drive other investers away as they see this sort of behavior rewarded. 

NIL will get rules and be tempered at some point... But when that happens all comes down to just how crazy and insane it has to get first... So this is just accelerating the process so maybe we see some rule changes at some point sooner. 

Other thing to think about ... Scholarships are contracts... We may see some of those rules get tightened up first concerning opting out of practices. 

Rules? What entity is going to bring rules to the table?

This is not, so far, the NFL. And it will not be rule governed without a players union. Without an entity to negotiate with who knows what, where and when?

Today in CFB we are witnessing the 'wild west.' Instead of a peacemaker it's the banditos with mucho dinero who are making the rules.

$8M and Lanning has a chance to compete against this? A+M just paid for best recruiting class ever? And is there anything to prevent this?

I see further chaos coming and I see no governing body in a position to make any king of rules. 

David, I hope that your hope  for some kind of constraint happening. But I don't see it happening after a 9-0 Supreme Court spanking of the NCAA and no one in charge of today's big time CFB.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 3/13/2022 at 10:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

David, I hope that your hope  for some kind of constraint happening. But I don't see it happening after a 9-0 Supreme Court spanking of the NCAA and no one in charge of today's big time CFB.

Rules will come... Even if that results in the entire system breaking down entirely and we get a lesser NFL that only has school affiliation in name alone. You have mentioned these scinarios before. 

College football of the past is dead. Right now is the wild west of what will be the new era but it is also too unstable to live in its current form. 

You have stated how you are bring driven off by the sport ... You are not alone there. This is still a big business but what if interest starts to trend downward? We have already seen declining attendance numbers at stadiums, even more COVID. 

What will "college football" look like a few years down the road... No one knows and if they think they know they are lying. But again... What currently exists is not sustainable and is not brining new fans in but driving fans away. That's not a sustainable long term business model. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing ticks me off more than entitled athletes. 

Especially an unproven commodity.  The NBA and NFL players are bad enough.  They talk about the game being a business, but more than enough of them are broke when they retire.

What a joke.  

The guys that really earn their paychecks are the men and women that entertain us while we watch the games ( like Joe Buck and  Troy Aikman for example).  

At some point, college football fans are going to say "enough".  Attendance has been falling the past three years, and inflation is going to treat it's ugly head in earnest this fall.  

Interesting times.  

Where's Jon Joseph and his point spread picks when you need them?

Edited by Mike West
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:47 AM, Mike West said:

Nothing ticks me off more than entitled athletes. 

Especially an unproven commodity.  The NBA and NFL players are bad enough.  They talk about the game being a business, but more than enough of them are broke when they retire.

What a joke.  

The guys that really earn their paychecks are the men and women that entertain us while we watch the games ( like Joe Buck and  Troy Aikman for example).  

At some point, college football fans are going to say "enough".  Attendance has been falling the past three years, and inflation is going to treat it's ugly head in earnest this fall.  

Interesting times.  

Where's Jon Joseph and his point spread picks when you need them?

Mike, I'm out buying more beer to cry into.

BTW, looks like Las Vegas is odds on for the new site of Pac-12 HQ. 

Last season, the starting QB for the University of Alabama earned considerably more money than the starting QB for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Just sayin'...

As Babe Ruth said to the President when he earned more, "I had a better year".

• Haha 2

The sad reality is coming like a thief in the night. We will one day hear if a kid getting an NIL deal to stay at his college for 'One More Year', or maybe two. He will get $10 million to replicate the NC Winning performance and or even 3-Pete. $20 million later, the kid has blown through 1/2 of the cash and doesn't pay his taxes and decides to forgo the NFL for living in the Mediterranean or Caribbean with his friends and family. Then the harsh reality will set in with a '30 for 30' the following year. 😔

• Thumbs Up 1

Broke college athletes brings up a sad topic. Most high school students have no training in finance at all, not part of their education anymore. College football players would be smart to take a home finance class as freshman. Colleges would be smart to put together a class for their NIL students so they have a fighting chance at leaving college with a little money and able to handle an IRS audit. Colleges should try and get ahead of this train wreck, and slow it down, at least with education. Give these 'student athletes' a fighting chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:17 AM, Haywarduck said:

Colleges would be smart to put together a class for their NIL students so they have a fighting chance at leaving college with a little money and able to handle an IRS audit.

I believe Oregon does have a program built around NIL and how it works and how to not just lose all that money. The forward thinking schools have programs in place to train athletes... We will just have to see if it works.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:36 AM, David Marsh said:

I believe Oregon does have a program built around NIL and how it works and how to not just lose all that money. The forward thinking schools have programs in place to train athletes... We will just have to see if it works.

There is no control regarding NIL. IMO, one of the disappointments in this regard was not requiring a certain % of NIL $ to be placed in trust.

How long will it take an 18 year old's 'posse' to blow through the dough?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Can you blame him?  A junior in high school who has not contributed a thing yet to a college team is signed for 8 million?

jarvis-brownlee.png
WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Read “REPORT: Florida State DB Becomes First College Player To Hold Out Due To Lack Of NIL Deal ” and other Football, NCAA articles from Total Pro Sports.

I want my MONEY FOR NOTHING!

Ridiculous! I'm not on board with this BS no matter how they play it. Its stinking greed at it's worst. Might as well call this SEMI Pro league but at a ridiculous wage.

Somebody gonna have to stand up and stop this ridiculous amount of money these players are getting. I don't believe Kayvon earned whatever he got? I seriously don't think he earned one penny of that money.

He under performed and the way he's acting now it's no wonder.  HOF players at the next level don't worry about the money as they go out and earn it.

• Thumbs Up 1