Charles Fischer

Ducks Beat Utah State 83-72!

Ducks Secure Coach Altman’s 300th Win at Oregon

LOGAN, Utah — Oregon men’s basketball defeated Utah State 83-72 tonight in the opening round of the NIT. The Ducks advance to play Texas A&M this weekend.

How It Happened: Utah State scored the first bucket of the game, before Oregon went on a 10-0 run, making their first five shots in the paint. Franck Kepnang and Rivaldo Soares each scored four to kick things off for the Ducks. The Aggies followed with a run of their own behind four three-pointers from Steven Ashworth. Utah State built up a four-point lead before big three-pointers from De’Vion Harmon and Jacob Young tied it back up at 21 with eight minutes left in the half.

The game of runs continued with the Aggies scoring 11 unanswered points to go up 32-23 at the four-minute mark. Oregon answered and was able to cut the lead to four, trailing 37-33 at the half. UO came out strong in the second half, starting on a 12-5 run to go up 45-42 at the 16-minute mark. Things continued to go the way of the Ducks from there, as they outscored the Aggies 30-13 in the first 12 minutes of the second half. 

Oregon pulled away and led by as many as 17 points in the half. The Ducks ended the night shooting 51 percent from the field and 42 percent from three-point range. Oregon also dominated in the paint, outscoring the Aggies 48-28.

Oregon Secures 300th Career Win for Coach Altman

Who Stood Out: Harmon led the team with 19 points, with Young following with 17. Soares finished with a career-best 13 points and four rebounds, followed by Kepnang with nine points and nine rebounds.

What It Means: Oregon has now won 20 or more games in 12 consecutive seasons. Coach Altman’s 300 wins make him the fourth Pac-12 coach in the modern era (since 1978-79) to win 300 or more games at a Pac-12 school.

Up Next: The Ducks await their game time on either Saturday or Sunday, facing Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I would love to see Dana's men get a 20 win season again and 300 career wins at Oregon for Altman!

Edited by ICamel

Ducks move on to round 2 of the NIT with an 83-72 victory over Utah State in Logan Utah.

Wow.  Great win. Huge to keep the now 12 year streak of 20 win seasons.

Great second half with good ball movement and passing.  Good effort on defense in the 2nd half.  But what was the final free throw %?

We beat the Aggies, and now get to play....the Aggies!  (Texas A&M)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Kepnang, Williams and Soares all had good games. Much better ball movement and defensive energy in the 2nd half.

I thought the keys were Harmon’s 14 in first half to keep things in reach, then Young’s drives in second half…Aggies had no answer to that.

The Ducks played pretty well tonight, barring a few lapses of several minutes each, which is a recurring theme. Excellent minutes for Johnson and Bittle. The Aggies are scrappy for sure. I don't know much about the next group of Aggies Oregon Plays. I'll have to look into them.  

Much was written pre-game about the Ducks travel plans, or lack thereof. Dana mentioned that they'd ride a bus overnight if they had to.  I wonder if that was his way of asking to borrow Uncle Phil's plane without actually having to ask for it. I know that's they way I like asking for things.......

If Oregon can shoot close to what they shot against Ootah State when they play A&M they'll have a fighting chance. I've thought for quite some time that it'll be an extended cold shooting stretch that will end the season. Hoping it comes right after the NIT championship...........

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy cow!  Franck Kepnang was 1 point and 1 rebound away from a double-double!!  I know there is still a lot of growth and development for Franck, but I am super thrilled with his progress this year!

Go Ducks!!