LADuck

Biggest Letdown Game Memory

I was driving home from a meeting in Arizona today and stopped for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel. We don't have them in Southern Cal and they have unbeatable pancakes in my humble opinion.

When I paid my bill I struck up a conversation with a lady who was a Washington native and a UW fan. She said she used to go to games in the 80's. The conversation brought me back to thinking about the 1983 epic showdown when UW and the Ducks were both 2-0. It was hyped up and if I remember correctly the Lady Quackers (or whatever they were called) sent Roses to the locker room before the game. Talk about getting carried away!

There was a big crowd for the game and an overall feeling of confidence. It just felt so positive and the energy was surely going to help fire up the Ducks and lead them to victory. It was 12 to 0 UW at half and some were still optimistic. By nature I am a positive thinker so definitely was waiting for great things to come.

I don't remember details of how it unfolded but the 2nd half went from Chocolate Cake to Urinal Cake in a hurry. The final was 32 to 3 and of all the games I have been to it went from a Flounder like "this is going to be great" to an overall feeling of "my brother is going to kill me" quickly. It was the biggest energy drop of fans I have ever witnessed. It really was a bummer. Sure I drowned my sorrows after the beatdown. 

Side note: Lew Barnes on that team and had classes with him. Nice guy.

Edited by LADuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any Fusky loss is a major letdown, but for me it was the Boise St game (Chips first game). Every Cal loss is a major bummer too as well as the Beavs--Actually every loss is a major loss to me. 

Looking back at records my first two years in Eugene we were an overall 4 - 17 - 1 in 80 and 81. That was what made it such a bummer. We were 2 - 0 in conference play and thought man this is the year! Shattered dreams are tough to handle.

Edited by LADuck

Dennis Dixon’s injury. Would of been our first natty. That team was good on both sides of the ball. Had Nick Sabin totally freaked out.

• Thumbs Up 2

January 2nd 2016.

31 - 0  All Ducks at halftime. The rest is ugly history. This is the biggest letdown game in my memory.

The 2011(2010 season) NCG would come in at a distant 2nd... I mean, we were in that game until the end, at least. 

Furd in 2012,  Zona in 2013,  Zona in 2014!, tOSU in 2014 (first ever playoff NCG... C'mon!)

There are others, for sure. But these games stand out above all, to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've tried to block them out honestly. 

Denial is not just some river in Egypt. 

However, my list would almost certainly include some involvement of Mark Helfritch. 

Yuck 

I may have been let down, but I got right back up, as has the program!