srf1957

Underwhelmed

For having PK as a sponsor that is supposed to buy the best everything .. Most of the sports results this year are meh !😭

Bad day for Oregon basketball. I wasn't surprised by the men's score, however, I was expecting more from the Lady Ducks. Neither team could get going when it counted.

Oregon football was that way too this year. 

Can't have every year be brilliant... But this year has been very disappointing from a fan perspective. 

Look at the bright side though... There is always next season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Football-preseason #11 ended losing 3 of 4.

Men's BB-preseason #13 ended losing 5 of 7.

Women's BB-preseason #10 ended with a disappointing loss but at least they were competitive and worth watching.  Can't say the same for the other two.

At least the national media respected the Oregon brand.  Will that last? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, McDuck said:

At least the national media respected the Oregon brand.  Will that last? 

Yeah it will... Women's basketball will have some key players returning next year and have a veteran team. 

Men's basketball will have an off season to deal with a very sour taste in their mouths because they know they could have been more... Altman will get the chance to reshape his team and players will buy in or leave. 

As for football... Lanning is in charge now and loads to look forward to... Lock down defense? Yes please... Up tempo offense designed to score points? That's back on the menu. 

Football is very hopeful ... I think first year Lanning and con could easily come away with a 10 win season with this roster (including a bowl game) ... And I dare say there is an outside chance of a playoff appearance... 

I know a playoff appearance seems really far fetched... But if they get the QB right and the defense to hold opponents to 20 points per game and the offense is scoring around 40 per game... There is a chance. 

The football roster is in great shape... Just need some development and to get the xs and os right. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sorry, how can any of the above be blamed on Phil Knight?

PK has built exceptional facilities in a medium sized city in the NW.

CFB this season and IMO, the prior 3 seasons +, can be blamed if blame is due, on the AD and not Phil Knight.

CFB under Mario was a gut wrench experience. He brought in great players recruiting ranking wise and on very rare occasions had his team prepared to play to the standard of its talent.

The basketball team under Dana Altman has for the most part come through, in conference and in NCAA Tournaments.

Oregon is not a sure thing in any season in CFB or in CBB. Compared to back in the day Oregon is now a BRAND. Without Phil and Penny Knight, Oregon would still be a school that on very rare occasions played for a Rose Bowl and not a BCS/Playoff Champ game berth. A school that would be happy with an NIT bid and not sweet 16 plus opportunities.

PK has not bought players. He has paid for facilities over and beyond most of those in the nation.

If there is blame you know who I blame? Those who believed that Mario was a great coach with a great 'culture' when the high water mark was a 1 point win over a 3L B1G team in the Rose Bowl. This with the NFL Rookie of the Year and all pro playing QB.

If I have a beef it is with Mullens who reached out for the Georgia and A+M AD jobs; most certainly not with Phil and Penny Knight.

Without Phil Knight and the NIKE branding, Oregon would be an off-the-radar team in CFB and CBB.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

I would wager that the money spent by PK has bought more glory than that of Boone Pickens at Okie State. It's not an exact science.........

• Thumbs Up 1

College basketball, even for women has become a 3 point shoot out with very little defense being played. It’s ruined the nba and college basketball is an embarrassment with very few teams actually playing the game correctly. Guess my age has decided my fate as a basketball fan. Very sad.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/19/2022 at 10:48 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Without Phil Knight and the NIKE branding, Oregon would be an off-the-radar team in CFB and CBB.

Good rant! (Apologies for calling it a rant, but it's still good!)

The UO facilities and infrastructure are what has made it successful enough to be a national brand in college sports, and that can be traced back directly to Knight. I live in Southern California, and I regularly see cars with UO Ducks stickers on them! Imagine that a few decades ago...

Speaking to the topic of this thread, I think we would all agree it was a disappointing year so far, because we hope for more. Tying it to Knight's money does not track though.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, srf1957 said:

For having PK as a sponsor that is supposed to buy the best everything .. Most of the sports results this year are meh !😭

Speaks to what can be bought, and what has to be earned. PK has put in enough effort and money for the programs to exceed expectations. The programs haven't put in the hard work to meet or exceed those expectations. Interesting statement in these times of NIL and transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

The results have been disappointing so far this year no doubt.  on the bright side we still have baseball, softball, and track & field to look forward too.  Maybe one of those sports can come through for us.  Not sure what is expected from the track teams this year but excited to see how they do.  The facilities are just phenomenal.  The womens softball team has performed pretty darn well also.   Hopefully that will tide us over until fall camp starts!  🙂 Go ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/20/2022 at 7:31 AM, Quackerbacker said:

The results have been disappointing so far this year no doubt.  on the bright side we still have baseball, softball, and track & field to look forward too.  Maybe one of those sports can come through for us.  Not sure what is expected from the track teams this year but excited to see how they do.  The facilities are just phenomenal.  The womens softball team has performed pretty darn well also.   Hopefully that will tide us over until fall camp starts!  🙂 Go ducks!

And the dawgs are still waiting for their first men's NCAA title, I mean never have the men won at anything. The women up in seattle also have the only club championship for the dawgs, in boxing, sounds about right.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

And the dawgs are still waiting for their first men's NCAA title, I mean never have the men won at anything. The women up in seattle also have the only club championship for the dawgs, in boxing, sounds about right.

Wrong, The fuskies dominated crew on a national level.

Well, it could be worse.

You could be an insufferable Buckeye fan whining about winning the Big10, a playoff game victory, but a National Championship loss to a historic Bama team?

Or you could be a Fuskie?

Can't all be winners. Bama lost twice this year.

I'm good

Go Ducks 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, Duckhart said:

Crew is not an NCAA Mens sport; it is club sport.  For the Women...it is an NCAA sport, and they do have a championship in it.

The Huskies have eight National Championships, all by the women.  Oregon has 34 National Championships...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm sorry, how can any of the above be blamed on Phil Knight?

Right on.

He has supplied the facilities and the salaries for the coaches.

We can't be at the top of the big three sports every year.

Very true, and thank goodness we have him and Penny, plus many others.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, Duckhart said:

The men's programs most often lauded in preseason polls. Remember they were predicted to go undefeated last year. The truth, they can barely lift their hind leg on the national level.

• Haha 2

Guest Axel

The men’s loss yesterday is easily explainable. Schizophrenia. The Ducks were two different teams this year.

But the Lady Ducks loss to Belmont? Totally unexplainable. In the wise words of Bill Murray’s character in the classic movie Tootsie, “We’re getting into a weird area here.”

I read Coach Kelly Graves' comments. He seems as mystified as the rest of us. I’ve done a little digging, and I may have identified the problem—and it’s not us, it’s Belmont. More to the point, the mythical Belmont. The Brigadoon of basketball.

Have you ever seen Belmont? No, you haven’t. Have you ever heard of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, or Southeast Missouri State University, or for heaven’s sake, Lipscomb? No, never. But those are all teams that a Belmont allegedly defeated this season.

I now suspect, with a grateful nod to Rod Serling, that if Belmont exists, it must occupy that middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition--somewhere between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge.

You can blame the Lady Ducks loss on poor shooting or poor defense. I say it was a glitch in the matrix.

Leave it to Our Beloved Ducks not to be screwed by the refs, but by the Twilight Zone.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, Axel said:

Leave it to Our Beloved Ducks not to be screwed by the refs, but by the Twilight Zone.

I never like to blame refs, but there was a couple of calls vs Ducks very late that were questionable.  But that last sequence was a real head scratcher, where was a double screen to free a 3?

On 3/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, Axel said:

I say it was a glitch in the matrix.

Belmont did hit a couple three's that were out of this world.  One defied the laws of physics, the other defied all earthly odds.

Lady Ducks need to get 3 point shooters that are a consistent threat, especially at the 3 guard. There were too many games that the 3 point percentage was in the teens -  all in losses.

Pappao and Rogers were hot and cold 3 point shooters. Parrish was very inconsistent 3 point and 2 point shooter.

The Ducks recruiting class two years ago was ranked #1. It turns out so far, that none but PaoPao is a scoring threat. Parrish so far is not. Watson, Scherr are good defenders and rebounders. Angela Dugalic is a good rebounder, good defender and scorer around the basket and out front. I was disappointed when she transferred; not so much on Chavez's transfer.

Oregon's 2020 recruiting class is now ranked #2 behind UCLA. (It was #1 until the number 1 point guard committed to UCLA.) Oregon class has two point guards who are

top scorers in high school, Chance Gray (Ohio, 5 star ) and Jennah Isai (Arizona, 4 star) .  A 6'3" forward Grace VanSlooten (Ohio and now IMG, Florida, 5 star) and a 6'7" center Kennedy Basham (Arizona, 4 star). Ducks have a 2023-24 commitment from Amar Whiting a high scoring point guard (Idaho).

Women's b-ball teams with 3 or more 3 point consistent shooters (starters or subs) are now the top tier teams.   

Kelly's press statements after the Belmont loss acknowledged the Ducks must improve in this area. I think his next two recruiting classes may address this.

• Thanks 1

I totally expected the gentleman Ducks to fail but had hoped the women's team would advance.