Charles Fischer

Mens Basketball: Changes Coming?

While I did not comment in the thread....I was surprised to see statements of "Expectations" of what Phil "bought" for Oregon?  You cannot buy a championship; yes, you need talent, but the talent has to listen to coaching.  It was not a losing year in basketball, but not one up to the fans expectations.  It happens some years that way....

Mr. FishDuck

hmm? Fundamentals--these guys had very little. Ill just leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Woah! I can't believe what just happened.

Charles, I agree with you that Phil Knight’s generous donations can’t buy everything. If the man never donated another dollar the impact he has made on U of O is enormous.

I always have optimistic expectations of our various teams. However, not all teams and players mesh together well. 

To me, Altman sounds frustrated with his teams work ethic. It sounds to me that the hard work and discipline required to play consistently at a high level as a team under his coaching style was amiss. 

Change will be necessary. What that entails is a big question. 

On 3/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Drake said:

To me, Altman sounds frustrated with his teams work ethic.

So, tweak the system with transfers?  This is the first year in a while that they didn't gel.  Demand more early, no laurels allowed, everyone starts as a 1*?

Maybe he has to be more up-front in the recruiting process..."My system has proven to work and put players into the NBA.  If you cannot follow our system, then this might not be your cup-of-tea."

"If you do not follow our system, then you will not play."

Dana Altman vs. Michigan with Payton Pritchard_Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"If you do not follow our system, then you will not play."

I have always assumed this was Altman's motto from the beginning. He has always asked a lot of his players and for many years, they have responded. 

I wonder what part NIL played in this season's results. Was it a threat to team cohesiveness? Did NIL chatter sway their determination? Was it a 'behind the scenes' distraction?

On 3/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, Steven A said:

This is the first year in a while that they didn't gel.

And sometimes when those ingredients to the stew are substituted the main meal isn't as tasty. 🥴

He also lost a top coach who had been with him for I believe 9 years. That alone would have a negative effect. As we see, the guy he hired as a replacement has left.

We see this all the time in sports, business, politics, etc.  The Philadelphia Eagles "dream team" with Michael Vick that fell flat.  The Nets with Durant/Irving/Harden that ended up a disaster.  Texas teams loaded with five star players that ended up in a minor bowl game.  US Olympic basketball teams that were individually far move talented than their opponents but couldn't play together and didn't medal.

Talent (both individual and team) only takes you so far.  Hard work, coaching, buy-in, sacrifice, and having players who are content playing specific roles rather than everyone vying to be the star are all critical components as well.  

Every team needs a Kurt Rambis.  😁

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Not everyone wants to play defense or are capable of doing so. This team was not capable or willing to do the work. The offense looked ridicules at times. I’m sure Dana will cure this problem. He is a great college coach. His system won’t work in the NBA, where defense is optional at best.

Edited by Just Ducky

Part II

A more in depth article from Matt Prehm at 24/7.  Looks as if Dana knows this year "just didn't work".

10962496.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

There will be change within the Oregon men's basketball program this offseason. The only question is how much change will we see from one of the nation's most consistent

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:06 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Every team needs a Kurt Rambis.

Or The Hanson Brothers!

Edited by ICamel
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Drake said:

Charles, I agree with you that Phil Knight’s generous donations can’t buy everything. If the man never donated another dollar the impact he has made on U of O is enormous.

I always have optimistic expectations of our various teams. However, not all teams and players mesh together well. 

To me, Altman sounds frustrated with his teams work ethic. It sounds to me that the hard work and discipline required to play consistently at a high level as a team under his coaching style was amiss. 

Change will be necessary. What that entails is a big question. 

I agree 100%

I've It's called read on other sites that Oregon next year should be good enough to be a 4 seed and I spit up some pretty good wine. This team this year had the best talent ever assembled that clearly should still be playing. Makes perfectly good sense what coach A said about nobody was there early or left late. If that doesn't open up these players eyes then their all sleep walking. Look at the players coming in next year two top 20 players so lets hope they got work ethic. As far as Dana saying he thinks there will be transfers and even mentioned Bittle then he's obviously being clear as day.

So maybe Mr Bittle was a little over rated or doesn't like working a whole lot when he should because that statement Altman made was crystal clear to me. Seems as there was a little bit of that on the lady's team also. First the Football team the the BB teams. WOW maybe they were all hanging out together a little to much. It was to say the least a very odd year for two of Oregon's top sports program. To me this " CODDELING " stuff is over rated or hey take a time out. No this is about a whole lot of money now and way to much than just the free DEGREE they are getting.

I'm finally getting turned off by this and the rich greed that goes with it. I mean look at the whole world and the crazy going on and these players are getting 8 million dollar's to play for Tennessee? Then watch them when they say I don't want to play because I've got a hang nail, or my leg hurts, or I'm not gonna play because were playing Stony Brook.