Charles Fischer

Where Does Kelly Graves Go From Here?

The past and the future is addressed in this article...seems like next year is a crossroads year.  Are they vaulting back, or settling in?

USATSI_17737323.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The 2022 season didn’t end how they planned, but Kelly Graves and the Ducks have reasons for optimism going into the offseason.

Mr. FishDuck

Very poor 3 point shooting throughout the season. Sherr, Watson and Parrish were not offensive threats this year. Ducks will need a consistent 3 point shooting guard and consistent 3 point shooting from Paopao and Rogers, if they are to be a powerhouse next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget Prince. Amazing how someone 6'-7" can become invisible for minutes at a time.

• Thumbs Up 2

It was surprising to hear Coach Graves being so frank...."we act entitled, and we haven't done anything."  Whew!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I've said it before, that class had 5 x 5 stars, all McDonald AA's.  TeHe has been good but inconsistent, is not the "alpha".  Sherr has some spark but D and a few steals, boards and assists isn't enough, many nights ended with 0 points.  Parrish only a couple games all year were notable.  Dugalic transferred last year and is a bench player for sUCLA.  Watson only got a few minutes a game and had more fouls than points or rebounds in many of those games.  Sedona, not sure if it was just over-hype?  Really good when she was on, but wasn't on much.

Nyara  was the MVP but injury prone and not always consistent either.  The PG and SG coming in are higher rated than all of them, but ratings don't always pan out.  Sabrina wasn't even the #1 in her class, (#2 or 3?) but may be the best collegiate player of all time, for women's at least, she's in the discussion.  Ruthie was only a 3* I think?  Add Satou to that bunch, we probably win in all in '20 but we'll never know.  

Shooting was dismal this season, from 3 and the free throw line.  Way too many turnovers.  I hope KG can figure it out, maybe it is just the lack of an alpha and some serious chemistry.  Most of those 5 stars have never even looked close to the part.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dugalic was injured most the year. When she returned in middle February she was usually the first substitute. Of the 5 5stars last year she was the most physical with potential to develop into WNBA player. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Don't forget Prince. Amazing how someone 6'-7" can become invisible for minutes at a time.

And as I recall, Graves was quite giddy about her prior to the last two seasons.

I recall Graves declaring that Prince would be one of the top draft picks of the WNBA when she left.

Mr. FishDuck