30Duck

"The "Playoff" Is A Mess, Here's How It Can Be Fixed

The "Playoff" has to go, it has put a premium on winning the championship but only a select few teams, selected by, "The Committee", get a chance. So entrenched in this way of doing things, Bill Hancock, Executive Director Of The College Football Playoff, didn't see any reason to change anything this last season, a season that was anything but normal.

The good thing is, football fans outside of Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Clemson, don't have to take it anymore.

giphy.gif

The NCAA doesn't run , "The Playoff", Bill Hancock, ESPN and its contracted conferences do. But the NCAA does run the Playoffs for Division 2 football, and those schools and their fans love it. So, why can't the NCAA take over the playoffs for Division 1 and run it the same way for  Division 2?

I'm sure the answer comes down to money. The NCAA can't decide tomorrow to start their own Playoff. But I don't think that the "Invitational" is ever going to do anything that doesn't serve the needs of ESPN's chosen few first.

Back in the 1930's, the NIT was the big thing in college basketball. But, in 1939, the NCAA started its own tournament, and crowned its first champion, the Oregon Webfoots , winners of the first championship game over Ohio State. 

Things have changed. The NIT now doesn't mean as much as does the Idaho Potato Bowl. The same thing can happen for Division 2 football. 

When the contracts come up in 2024, the NCAA has a decision to make.  Does it continue to finance the Beauty Pageant masquerading as a Playoff? Or does it decide to run Division 1 football with as much care and consideration as it does Division 2?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that boat has sailed a long time ago.  Conferences are not going to give up control of their cash cow.  As we have seen with recent articles, there have already been some talk of the Power 5 conferences moving away and doing their own thing with football.  If NCAA were to try and grab that from them, they would definitely walk away and take Men's basketball with them.  

However, Pac 12 and Big 12 get the shaft the most, so if they could pull the BIG TEN with them to make changes. the SEC and ACC would have to follow.

25 minutes ago, Tandaian said:

However, Pac 12 and Big 12 get the shaft the most, so if they could pull the BIG TEN with them to make changes. the SEC and ACC would have to follow.

I'm sure the SEC and ACC would pull back and they are much stronger then the Pac-12 and Big 12. The best solution for the Oregon Ducks would be to join a different conference, like the Big 12 for example. This can be done in a couple of years from what I understand. 

This next TV contract is going to be huge for the Pac 12.  They are going to need to drop sole ownership of the Pac 12 Network and come to an agreement with either Fox or CBS.  I'd really be pushing for Fox, since they are trying to keep up with ESPN when it comes to sports.

I wish 30Duck's suggestion could happen, since it is proven to work well for Division 2 and Division 3, not to mention basketball.

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

proven to work well for Division 2 and Division 3, not to mention basketball.

Absolutely. This is not some out of left field scenario. It is simply treating Division 1 football in the same manner as is Div.2, and basketball. The interest, by fans across the country in thse playoffs, and the money they generate, should be the model.