Steven A

Each Oregon Football Player Earned at Least 15K Last Year

The following is a Q and then answer to a Duck Territory Quack Chat:

Q:  With subpar NIL can Oregon compete with the likes of the SEC, SC?

A:  Yes. They don't have subpar NIL. Division Street isn't spending money like monopoly money. They are doing it stratgeically. Do we forget that KT got a United Airlines deal last year? Or that all of the football players made over 15K this year for shoes that were sold, and in that process all of Oregon's other athletes in other sports got cash. We know that the women's program has been getting deals with the Pape Group as well.

So, I'm sure without guarantees, FB recruits are going to be aware of the 15K and the POSSIBILITY of more.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Canzano addressed NIL in a recent iece which Charles posted.  His numbers are wildly different.  

In the first six months Oregon athletes signed 273 endorsement deals. The average value: $1,087. Biggest deal: $100,000 (Thibodeaux). But if you remove that six-figure outlier you get a better idea of how the typical Oregon athlete fared.

Average at UO without Thibodeaux: $723.

• Like 1

Oregon is building a floor for NIL first. Other schools are building the ceiling. 

We will see how this all shakes out over the long run but usually building a floor before the ceiling is better from an architectural point of view. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, McDuck said:

Average at UO without Thibodeaux: $723.

So now, take 15K per 85 scholarship FB players, and the $723 avg will shrink substantially for the "rest" of the FKA (formerly known as) student athletes.

Plus, I think Sedona Prince is well into 6 figures.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, Steven A said:

Plus, I think Sedona Prince is well into 6 figures.

If this is true, she may be making more that if she was in the WNBA. There´s a good reason to stay another year.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jon Sousa said:

she may be making more that if she was in the WNBA.

I think as NIL develops some players will recognize the ability to earn significant amounts that make them reconsider the timing to the pros. Good but not yet elite players can maximize the scholarship training and earn possibly significant money. I believe some will recognize the opportunity to stay may pay.