Charles Fischer

Huskies Headed for Recruiting Investigation?

Is NCAA President Mark Emmert looking into his Alma Mater?

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif

Leave no stone unturned.

giphy.gif

They probably already are... these things tend not to be public until late in the process.

I know Oregon was also recruiting Smalls for a time... hope we don't get wrapped into it.

21 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

I know Oregon was also recruiting Smalls for a time... hope we don't get wrapped into it.

And maybe that is why we did not get him, as we would not provide the McDonald's bag?

Mr. FishDuck

dog i cant handle this GIF

Mudslide....that is a perfect GIF!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

8 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

And maybe that is why we did not get him

And I am COMPLETELY ok with that!

Yesterday, the Huskies did beat the Buffaloes  for their 1st conference win, (1-7) and second overall, (2-11).

giphy.gif

On 1/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Is NCAA President Mark Emmert looking into his Alma Mater?

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. 

Warning: Long. Brevity may be the soul of wit but you’re welcome to call me Polonius. After the procedural stuff about the minor violations this is a story and some speculation that is of relevance to Oregon fans. Nothing bad, to my knowledge, about Washington. In their stead other villains take the stage.

It looks like all of the violations were relatively harmless. There is nothing that Washington appears to have run afoul of. Luckily for us they look like they sanctioned themselves by giving the program to Jimmy Lake.

There are, however, some very prominent connections here that could be of interest to Oregon fans. But first, here is a summary from the Indy Star on Notre Dame’s heinous misdeeds:

the former assistant coach had impermissible contact with a prospect when he met privately with the prospect (Smalls) at his high school before July 1 after the completion of his junior year of high school.

During that meeting, the former assistant coach expressed the school’s interest in recruiting the prospect. 

The Notre Dame assistant was Todd Lyght. He wanted to get a head start in showing Sav’ell Smalls that this heavy decision should lead to Notre Dame. You may remember Todd Lyght for being a good NFL CB for a decade. I personally don’t, but I did meet him when he worked at Oregon for the last two years of Chip’s reign as an intern/analyst. He then followed Chip to the Eagles. But he’s not the story. The story is Joey Thomas, who was the head coach at Garfield High School where this transpired and where both Smalls and former Oregon commit, Florida State Seminole, and current Oregon State WR Tre’Shaun Harrison were students. 

I don’t know if many people remember how the Tre’Shaun Harrison recruitment went down, but there were rumors that Ol’ Willie Taggart had made coach Joey Thomas some promises of future employment. These are just allegations. Nothing in stone, most people do not use stone for writing their unethical plans, very time consuming. For compliance purposes it would need to be two years removed from the signing of the recruit. 

They made that rule after Michigan hired high school coach and former NFL player Devin Bush Sr to be a defensive analyst in February 2016, just two months after his son spurned his alma mater of Florida State. Bush Jr would up becoming an All-American and the 10th overall pick of the 2019 draft, where he had a fantastic rookie season for the Steelers. Right around that time Tennessee got a commitment from 5-star OT Trey Smith, the number one recruit in one of the rankings. His sister had been hired as the recruiting director earlier in the year, Smith is a two time first team All-SEC selection. 

Once the Florida State rumors began Harrison de-committed citing the coaching uncertainty, while other recruits were tweeting that Willie promised them he was staying. Maybe Harrison knew something that others, like Braden Lenzy, didn’t. You know the rest of the story, Willie and Tre’Shaun to their dream job and school but Smalls was still up for grabs. It seems unlikely that Florida and Notre Dame would purposefully risk even these wrist slaps for just to make contact first. They know the rules. Maybe they weren’t expecting to be turned in. Maybe something got messed up elsewhere.

Sav’ell Smalls tumbled in the recruiting rankings. Once the number 2 overall recruit he fell to 59th on 247 and 48th on Rivals. Only ESPN and their nearly worthless one man rankings (a story for another time) kept him as a 5-star, and he was two spots away from being a composite 4-star. 

As for Joey Thomas, congratulations are in order. This week he was named the WRs coach at Florida Atlantic University after less than a year as an analyst there in Boca Raton, a job he landed two years after Tre’Shaun Harrison made a temporary stop in Tallahassee. At FAU Joey Thomas will work alongside familiar names such as Jim Leavitt, Michael Johnson Sr, and Head Coach Willie Taggart. Maybe Willie will rediscover his coaching magic, if he did have some to begin with. In the meantime Willie has a promising team and a second gig as a receptionist for Owls, getting familiar ring-ring-rings and tweeting out that there are good news for Owls. 

Thanks for that, especially this, 

2 hours ago, RatherBe said:

Luckily for us they look like they sanctioned themselves by giving the program to Jimmy Lake.

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

Thanks for that, especially this, 

Sleepless in Seattle.

RatherBe, what a worthy post.  Please start writing articles for the sister site.  Many thanks for the information and entertainment.

And I'm sure I'm not the first to ask...what would you rather be?

Edited by Mudslide