30Duck

10 Candidates To Take Over For Larry Scott

Great article and some great candidates with Oregon ties...

Shaw is pretty smart and could be a shrewd pick?

Mr. FishDuck

Ugghh... Chris Petersen should not be considered for the job.

Also... isn't it a bit weird that Las Vegas is considered neutral for the Pac-12? I mean geographically it makes sense... but there aren't any Nevada teams in the Pac-12 so I guess that would make it neutral but it also just makes it weird. California would be ok to keep the headquarters there... just NOT in hyper expensive San Fransisco. That will be a top priority for whoever gets the job is get the Pac-12 out of San Fransisco. That is money that can be used and invested in so many ways.

3 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Las Vegas?

Las Vegas is where the Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments ae held, so it does have a connection to the conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Las Vegas is where the Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments ae held, so it does have a connection to the conference.

And it is where the future pac-12 championship games for football will be... And it does make a lot of sense... It just doesn't feel right for the headquarters. 

I suppose it really doesn't matter... After all it's all about money at this point. 

Relocate to geographically neutral Las Vegas?

Great idea Charles

48 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

And it is where the future pac-12 championship games for football will be... And it does make a lot of sense... It just doesn't feel right for the headquarters. 

I suppose it really doesn't matter... After all it's all about money at this point. 

David, you must spend more time in Vegas, for enjoyment purposes, and stay up all night and all day. 

44 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

Great idea Charles

I did not come up with that idea, as I have to credit the tweet.  Besides...I am not sure it makes sense there anyway.  California has the most Pac-12 teams and there are remote places in that state with cheap rent...

Mr. FishDuck

Greg Byrne is the man for the job. He has a lot of ties to the conference. Byrne grew up in Eugene, college at Arizona State, worked as assistant or associate AD at Oregon and OSU, and AD at Arizona. Was also AD at Mississippi State. 
At Oregon he had the job of cultivating the relationship with Phil Knight 1995-98, so key for Oregon’s growth. He raised a lot of money. At Miss State he hired Dan Mullen, and RichRod at Arizona. Other than being an experienced conference commissioner he is the perfect candidate.

President Dr. Schill is ideal to lead the search, because he will listen to the right people. People who understand sports have Schill’s ear, and the other presidents will defer to him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

Greg Byrne is the man for the job.

He's my hope too. Can the hometown ties to Oregon and the Pac-12 tear him away from Alabama?  A challenge can be compelling to people and that will clearly be the case with resuscitating the Pac-12.  

I have no problem with Vegas as the new HQ. I would suggest putting all the tournaments there as well. They have the infrastructure. They have the facilities. Tradition means very little anymore....see Rose Bowl. But an office that is a 90 minute flight to the farthest reaches is a geographical non starter as far as an issue. The championship or tournaments are only 2 weekends for Bball and 1 game for the championship for FB. I would say it makes the most sense to centrally locate it in Vegas.

The added benefit is that fans would make it an extended vacation and the Arena or Stadium would be packed. That's a sight better than SF where its a fortune and is raining or enveloped in dense fog during these events. PAC12 championship and a killer buffet, then finish it, with Blue Man group or some other top notch show.

• Thumbs Up 2

"California has the most Pac-12 teams and there are remote places in that state with cheap rent..." 

275a5762-01f0-4d4d-96ad-36e6ac836109_d.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Byrne would be an excellent pick.  Get the headquarters out of SF asap!

Cat Kitty GIF by good-night

The next Leader will have to consider the relocation of Conference HQ, Conference expansion or how to prevent Top Schools USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington from going independent, or jumping ship to another conference.  This situation would have a big effect on the TV Deal.  I would like to think that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St maybe revisited by the new Commissioner to improve the reach and marketability we need IMHO.  Nevada as a potential HQ, may not be such a bad place depending upon future expansion, Texas has seen a lot of Corporations relocating there because of the California issues.  Something to consider in our ever changing world.