Duckdude

Why Travis Dye Transferred

DYE.PIC-16x9-1.jpg?w=640
WWW.OCREGISTER.COM

The former Norco High standout and his fiancée agonized before he chose to play for the Trojans and their new coach over staying at Oregon or heading to the NFL

Time to get my Rolaids!    🤮  Not a fan of what happened, but appreciate you and everyone posting articles--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

Call me cynical. Which is OK, I am a stoic/cynic. 

Please do not try and tell me that $ was not involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to the new college sports dystopia.  I wonder when personal greed in college sports will outreach team loyalty.  Not long, I suppose.

But then I'm just a grumpy old man who is getting grumpier while dealing with a dry socket ex-tooth.  Ouch.

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, Mudslide said:

But then I'm just a grumpy old man

I hope there is room on that bench, because there are a bunch of us!

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I hope there is room on that bench, because there are a bunch of us!

image.png

Uphill

Both ways 

• Thumbs Up 1

Travis who? The only Dye to ever play at Oregon was Troy, and he is a legend. Maybe after this season I will read about the family again, not now.

• Thumbs Up 7

I will add if there is a Travis in the backfield for sc on December 2nd, I hope we pound him! I would love to see Noah lay him out, offer a hand up, wait and say nothing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Haywarduck said:

I will add if there is a Travis in the backfield for sc on December 2nd, I hope we pound him! I would love to see Noah lay him out, offer a hand up, wait and say nothing.

1000% this! Sportsmanship above all else, but it's my hope that Sewell and Flowe crack on him all day. Truth of the matter is, if it were someone else I wouldn't mind so much...but this is Dye, and it's like being betrayed by a family member. Speaking of, I now more understand how EWU must have felt when Vernon Adams transferred here and why they were so rough on him on the field. Perspective anyone? Just now realizing this was a tough look in the mirror...

Edited by Wrathis
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I don't see him mentioning NIL at all. His logic is sound for his decision making, he would be learning a new offense anyway...

...but this is hard when he was such a popular player.

I guess it's something we better get used to, players will come and go and we will have a new roster every year. 

TD gave us all he had when here, I have to not be selfish and wish him the best for his future and family.

Thanks for sharing article. 

Also, if we are to accept transfers in as part of the family (see dudes from UW, Auburn, etc) then we have to be gracious if we lose some, at least in my humble opinion. 

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's obvious Travis' family means a lot to him. I get it and I can't blame him for wanting to play close to his family and his actual home. As DanLduck said, he gave us all he had while he was at Oregon. Given that the NFL is his ultimate goal, I can see how if he manages to shine in USC's offense this year, it will enhance his chances to achieve his NFL dream.

College football, with the NIL, the transfer portal, and everything else, is changing fast. Loyalty to a school,  a coaching staff, or team mates now takes a back seat to making decisions based on what an athlete perceives as in their own personal best interest. Best not get too attached to a given star player on your favorite college team. It's a business moving in the direction of an ever more keen focus on the bottom line.

I will be interested to see how Travis does at USC and I wish him nothing but the best in his future.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Travis was one of the best true warriors to ever put on a Duck uniform. I will never have a negative thought about the guy.

He was the perfect Lombardi style back for Mario’s Lombardi style offense. How many times did he shake off a defender in the back field, power through another defender at the line of scrimmage then drag another for a five yard gain?

He may have seen his fit being less than ideal for the new wide open style offense coming in which may have contributed to his looking elsewhere and I can’t really blame him. I see his joining USC more as going home and not going to a rival but that’s just me.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:33 AM, DanLduck said:

I don't see him mentioning NIL at all. His logic is sound for his decision making, he would be learning a new offense anyway...

...but this is hard when he was such a popular player.

I guess it's something we better get used to, players will come and go and we will have a new roster every year. 

TD gave us all he had when here, I have to not be selfish and wish him the best for his future and family.

Thanks for sharing article. 

Also, if we are to accept transfers in as part of the family (see dudes from UW, Auburn, etc) then we have to be gracious if we lose some, at least in my humble opinion. 

You bring up a great point. I do have a hard time accepting transfers. AB took away from our guys on the bench. I appreciated his effort and willingness to put his body in harms way, but never accepted him as a true Duck.

The only guy I have seen elevate himself is DJ Johnson. He came I and did whatever was needed. He only played one season at another school, and who in their right mind wouldn't want to transfer from Miami to Oregon?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I gave up on thoughts of loyalty to a team, city, school, job, or anything else a long time ago.  Let's face it, if the Ducks found a better RB, Dye would be a backup this season.  Teams "suggest" to players all the time that they transfer if things aren't working out as hoped, or the player doesn't fit the system of a new coach.  Coaches leave all the time for better (or at least different) jobs.  

In the NFL, fans often still expect players to be loyal to their team, even though the team can cut them, bench them, lowball them on a new contract, etc.  And let's face it, college football is becoming more and more like pro ball all the time.  Not just in terms of the NIL, but coaches moving around for huge new contracts, players worrying about their brand, worrying about their draft position, etc.

And in non-revenue sports, schools frequently pull the scholie of an athlete who sustains a serious injury.  Oklahoma State did that to my daughter's physical therapist when she sustained a back injury and couldn't participate in gymnastics any more, and we've heard that from swimmers at other schools as well.

Can't blame a guy for lacking loyalty when teams so often show no loyalty to players and coaches certainly show no loyalty to teams.  I wish it were different, but...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I gave up on thoughts of loyalty to a team, city, school, job, or anything else a long time ago.  Let's face it, if the Ducks found a better RB, Dye would be a backup this season.  Teams "suggest" to players all the time that they transfer if things aren't working out as hoped, or the player doesn't fit the system of a new coach.  Coaches leave all the time for better (or at least different) jobs.  

In the NFL, fans often still expect players to be loyal to their team, even though the team can cut them, bench them, lowball them on a new contract, etc.  And let's face it, college football is becoming more and more like pro ball all the time.  Not just in terms of the NIL, but coaches moving around for huge new contracts, players worrying about their brand, worrying about their draft position, etc.

And in non-revenue sports, schools frequently pull the scholie of an athlete who sustains a serious injury.  Oklahoma State did that to my daughter's physical therapist when she sustained a back injury and couldn't participate in gymnastics any more, and we've heard that from swimmers at other schools as well.

Can't blame a guy for lacking loyalty when teams so often show no loyalty to players and coaches certainly show no loyalty to teams.  I wish it were different, but...

Married once, for a long time. It hasn't always been easy, but it was better. I get always looking for something better, but I don't play, nor respect that game. I work for myself so maybe it is easier, but I am loyal to my customers, maybe to a fault.

I am a karma guy, you get what you put out there, and I feel like the luckiest guy there is.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/29/2022 at 5:49 AM, Wrathis said:

and it's like being betrayed by a family member.

image.jpeg.dbbfeb32f6aaf4e0758de85f09e23bb6.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Call me cynical. Which is OK, I am a stoic/cynic. 

Please do not try and tell me that $ was not involved.

I certainly hope money was involved. If so, that kid deserves every penny.

He gave his heart and soul to the Ducks for 3+ years, and when Mario headed East and Riley headed West, his decision to move closer to home and play for an offensive minded coach rather than a defensive coach with no head coaching experience makes total sense.

Travis Dye IS a Duck and always will be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, Duckdude said:

DYE.PIC-16x9-1.jpg?w=640
WWW.OCREGISTER.COM

The former Norco High standout and his fiancée agonized before he chose to play for the Trojans and their new coach over staying at Oregon or heading to the NFL

Well I can't hate on Mr Dye because the kid gave his all on every play it's just that I can't root for him at SC and that would be ever. I can't see him beating out some of the highly rated RBs on that roster unless they just don't give their all. Kind of like a certain 5 star DE that just left Oregon for the NFL who if he would of gave his all like Travis I'm quite sure he could of been the number 1 pick in Aprils draft. Makes me want to puke nonetheless with him wearing that ugly scarlet puke uni's. Sorry TD just can't root for you now.

• Thumbs Up 1