McDuck

WBB Parrish, Sabally, Watson and Scherr Leaving

Transfer and the draft.

4CMLLQHQA5CE7H2NQD5TO4DC24.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Forward Sydney Parrish, who averaged 8.5 points and 3.3 rebounds over 32 games this season, announced she’s entering the transfer portal.

SNQU5TCDDBE2BADXFOQ7JM66FQ.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Fourth-year sophomore forward Nyara Sabally, who led the Ducks in scoring, rebounding and blocks and was an all-Pac-12 honoree in each of the past two seasons, is entering the WNBA Draft, she...
11003233.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Oregon forwards Sydney Parrish, Kylee Watson enter transfer portal

Not a surprise, and next year's team will sure look different!  Thanks for posting McDuck.

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Not a surprise, and next year's team will sure look different! 

And Erik Skopil at 24/7 thinks there will be more, but not Paopao or Rogers

I am really not surprised! Our thanks to all three of the young ladies! 

Coach Graves I'm sure has a great plan. Hopefully Sedona will get her legs healthy and really shine like the player everyone thought she can be! 

Along with Te-Hina and Endyia, I hope Maddie stays put.

Looking at a healthy Taylor Bigby along with Phillipina understanding how to dominate with her size will more than make up for the two transfers. 

Great group of young players coming in to go with the other strong players that will be returning, should put the Lady Ducks right in the thick of a very strong Pac-12! 

Bottom line for me is getting one or two players to step up as true leaders. There comes a time that every teams ceiling is only reached with strong player leadership.

I can't wait to see how this new team comes together!  I'm betting they will be great! 

• Thumbs Up 1

This leaves Pao-Pao the only one left of Oregon's "Fab 5"

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if Maddie Scherr ends up at Florida State?

Micah Pittman

YouTube Video Statistics for COUPLES Q&A - NoxInfluencer

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sabally is not unexpected. The others give the feel of a real disconnect between players and the coaching staff. This isn't little brother, here things went well last year and then this year...not so good, so lets dump some coaches.

It's amazing to me how the women and men seemed to have totally paralleled themselves this year.

Yep 4 of 5 of the fab 5 gone...TeHina only one that was ever really productive.  KG has a true PG coming in, and a top wing, both top level 5 stars.  Anyone bet he'll hit the portal too?  Everyone is doing it, I don't like it, but the chemistry of the big 5 was never there.  Maybe they'll flourish elsewhere and I wish them the best.

I've said it before, Sabrina (and Ruthie and Satou as well) were on another level.  I wonder how much is on KG and how much is on a rating system that didn't pan out?  Did coaching flaws get masked by Sabrina and company?

Edited by JDuck

Only Nyara was a scoring threat of those leaving. 

I have to wonder if Mark Campbell leaving hurt the team. My understanding is he was pretty good at game planning, Xs and Os, and was well-liked by the girls. He may also have been the main recruiter of that class.

I often wonder how much pandemic restrictions affected Oregon sports.  Each state imposed their own regulations, and then each institution within a state developed their own protocols.  My general impression was Oregon maintained fairly restrictive standards on group activities and social distancing.  Kelly Graves reported the 20-21 team didn't even have post-practice meals together or group meetings to watch video.   It is hard to develop team cohesion and unity when separated.

During that timeframe OBD's lost team leaders, Alpha dogs if you will.  Troy Dye, Payton Pritchard and of course Sabrina all moved on.  Chris Duarte helped carry MBB but he was gone for this disappointing year.  Both football and women's basketball did less than expected the last two years.  Is it possible covid prevention measures contributed to the lack of performance?

Note this is not a commentary on the measures themselves.  Based on limited reports the Oregon teams avoided serious outbreaks and that is a good thing.  I wouldn't want to emulate LSU who reported that "most" of their players caught the virus.

On a positive note they do have the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in.