30Duck

Pac-12 Offices are Going "Remote"

I am not sure HOW to read that.  Seems kinda strange?

Not that I'm anyone to call

something else STRANGE?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

From the Pac 12 Website

200748_Conference_shield.jpg?itok=xb1dt5
PAC-12.COM

Pac-12 to forego permanent headquarters to best support employees and deliver savings to member universities; production facility location to be determined for continued broadcast...

• Thanks 1

Bold move. Could be great. I'm glad there's outside the box thinking going on. 

I wonder if the savings/"payout" to each school will be the same as a NY6 bowl game.

And, another parting shot at Larry.  Thanks George.

• Thumbs Up 2

Moving out of SF would have been enough savings in my mind, but going 100% remote is millions in savings.  I know a lot of people think working from home means less work gets done, but my employer has decided to leave it up to the employees whether or not to keep working remote or not.  Before COVID my employer was completely against employees working from home, but these last 2 years has shown production hasn't gone down.

Finally, something tangible from GK. Now, get the network in the black and out of SFO or BK the SOB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Finally, something tangible from GK. Now, get the network in the black and out of SFO or BK the SOB.

Exactly, and now start making more for the Pac-12 and you can have the job for life!

• Thumbs Up 1

This feels like it might be a stop gap measure while they work out where to build actual head quarters. They need a place that is cheap enough to not be a burden on the conference. There are still a whole lot of advantages to having an actual building. 

However, getting out of San Francisco is the first priory for the conference head quarters. That is a lot of money that can be diverted into other parts of the conference. There is a timer on media rights but those can't really be changed until the current ones expire. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, David Marsh said:

This feels like it might be a stop gap measure while they work out where to build actual head quarters. They need a place that is cheap enough to not be a burden on the conference. There are still a whole lot of advantages to having an actual building. 

However, getting out of San Francisco is the first priory for the conference head quarters. That is a lot of money that can be diverted into other parts of the conference. There is a timer on media rights but those can't really be changed until the current ones expire. 

The whole west coast is a white hot real estate market. I would love to buy a new office building for my business, but it doesn't make too much economic sense right now. The reason prices are going up now, is because people think they are going to continue going up. There isn't a real good economic justification in my opinion. When this is the sentiment, it often doesn't end well for those last in, or those who push their envelope of ability to buy. 

When I invest in real estate it is because I can make money, or save money. Building has to make economic sense, it is cheaper to build than to rent. Even the idea building costs are cheap, rates are cheap, and you have a plan to pay off the building might push me to build or buy. I think it would be prudent for the Pac-12 to rent in a business friendly location and figure out what is necessary going forward. I am just happy GK got away from lavish larry's mentality.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, Tandaian said:

Moving out of SF would have been enough savings in my mind, but going 100% remote is millions in savings.  I know a lot of people think working from home means less work gets done, but my employer has decided to leave it up to the employees whether or not to keep working remote or not.  Before COVID my employer was completely against employees working from home, but these last 2 years has shown production hasn't gone down.

The company I worked for was in the same boat.  We had a COO who was staunchly against remote work and it took the pandemic to make it happen.  The result was productivity was even higher when the company was 100% remote...so much that for most of the 1st year the company instituted a company-wide mandatory paid day off every other Friday because management was worried about employee burnout.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 3:00 PM, kirklandduck said:

The company I worked for was in the same boat.  We had a COO who was staunchly against remote work and it took the pandemic to make it happen.  The result was productivity was even higher when the company was 100% remote...so much that for most of the 1st year the company instituted a company-wide mandatory paid day off every other Friday because management was worried about employee burnout.   

It wasn't just the rent, which was absurdly high, it was the witch of a commute in and out of downtown SF.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It wasn't just the rent, which was absurdly high, it was the witch of a commute in and out of downtown SF.

Yeah, I have similar issues with commute up here in the Seattle area.  I wasted 1-2 hours every day just in commute until I started working 100% remote.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jon Joseph said:

All for the glory of being in a high rent district, absurdity defined!

On 3/30/2022 at 8:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

All for the glory of being in a high rent district, absurdity defined!

And as I sit here and watch SF neighborhoods being gentrified, as is the case across the country, I worry about my poorer brothers and sisters who are being pushed farther and farther back into a longer commute.

I don't mean this to be and hope it is not too political a comment for the forum.

Moving the HQ and network operations to downtown SF has cost the conference $92M+ in rent.

How this made sense to Larry's bosses is well beyond me.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How this made sense to Larry's bosses is well beyond me.

Who were they impressing?  The other conferences?  The SEC/B1G laughed all the way to the bank...

Mr. FishDuck

Impressing their own egos is all I can figure out. Otherwise, how do you a start a network in the Pacific time zone without a media partner and without all necessary cable agreements in place?

Larry Scott had dumb and dumber employers. The same folks who turned down an owner/operator purchase offer from ESPN.

And the ACC with a lousy media deal with ESPN though 2036 still has the ESPN/ACC network going for it. A network now up on Comcast and with close to double the subscribers than has the Pac-12 Network.

Is there a cogent business person among the Pac-12 'leaders?'

• Thumbs Up 1