30Duck

Can You Buy the Championship?

With all the news about their class coming together it looks like it is championship or bust, but is anybody even picking them to win the SEC?

I think it is a big... "we will just have to wait and find out" 

I think a lot of these schools are going to be disappointed with their results in years to come. There are some rumors coming out already about some of these big time recruits who have some big NIL deals who simply aren't buying into their program and coaching staff. It is not everyone... but it doesn't take many to ruin the culture of a program. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Bride's maid?

Overton was born in College Station when his parents worked in athletics administration at Texas A&M.

"I was considering Oregon before I went (on my last visit) but once I stepped on that campus and got to the real stuff that’s when I knew.”

Webster’s “the real Stuff” = NIL $$$ ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, onto the next priority recruit.

"This $30 million deal is a joke... it didn't affect recruiting at all!"  Jimbo Fisher

Neither did Jimbo's 70+ Mil contract affect where he ended up!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

TAMU would not be getting this many high recruits, except for the motto "Show Me The Money."  It sure is on full display at this university.  

We should refer to that Texas school as ATM!!

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, DanLduck said:

We have tOSU, to why not ATAMU?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think you can buy a championship CBB team. Far fewer guys required.

Let's see how A+M does this season at Bama? Under Jimbo, A+M has lost 4 games every season and nearly lost at CU last season. A+M did defeat Bama in College Station last season. Since then the QB who defeated Bama has transferred to Auburn.

How many 4 and 5 star recruits that A+M bought in will pan out ?

Jimbo was a 'star' at FSU when Jameis showed up. He left FSU in shambles. Last seen by Oregon, the Ducks and Marcus pasted A+M.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, DanLduck said:

All That Money

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Jimbo got his hat handed to him by the Ducks. Ol' Crab legs. Weren't the on a 20+ game winning streak? Fun times.

• Thumbs Up 1

You obviously can try to buy one. However, what happens if you don’t win? 

Will the big money boosters spend more, or fire the coach? 

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be better spent on buying Saban, or maybe hiring a young prodigy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Drake, good point. Most big dollar boosters will want and demand results. Results or lack of results, over the next few years, will drive the NIL Pay To Play Bus.

The crazy fanatic booster will keep paying regardless of the results. Coaches, not players, will get fired when the reality on the field doesnt match big dollar booster expectations.........

Afterall only 1 SEC team can win the SEC Championship. And only 1 SEC team can win the Natty when they play each other again in the National Title game....

Besides, tOSU and Clemson, who outside the real conference of champions (insert SEC) will truly have a chance? Most all teams who get to dance at the CFP Party fall short. Nice payday but no slipper.

• Thumbs Up 1

NIL is like a come out roll at the crap table. Much like the pips (stars)on the set of dice the odds of a seven are greater than all other possibilities. However the other possibilities out number the seven. My point- it’s a crap shoot.

the original question is can you buy a championship? Not possible but you may perhaps rent one😀

8 five stars, 19 fours stars, and only 3 three stars. They are going to end up with a very good product on the field as talent wins. It might not be a National Championship but they are going to have a lot of success.

Crazy what it takes to compete now days but hopefully we figure out how to get the best players out there for 2023. I still like my idea of us true Duck fans starting our own GO FUND ME page to build funds for recruiting!

On 4/2/2022 at 6:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

It would be better spent on buying Saban, or maybe hiring a young prodigy. 

Interesting thought--could Saban be bought, er, hired away?

On 4/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, Annie said:

Fun response Annie.

Texas tried to 'buy' Saban a few years back. Nick had no interest in going to UT but did get a nice pay raise from Bama as a result of the UT offer. (Nick reportedly advised Sark not to take the UT job. Rat poison in Austin?)

Not only is Saban paid $10M+ a year when you include incentives, he owns a number of small businesses in Alabama, including his successful car dealerships. 

Tuscaloosa is not an especially pretty town but it is close to Saban's beautiful lake front home. And he is 71, I doubt he has any desire to build up another program?

These crazy NIL #s are going to get even more idiotic; especially, in the SEC. I'm certain NIL is being used and used often in the B1G, but you don't hear about the kind of money being tossed at recruits in the B1G like in the SEC.

How many schools in the Pac-12 have the desire and the money to compete against 'THIS?' Utah did give Ohio State a heck of a run in the Rose Bowl. But that was with 6 Buckeyes starters opting out.

Interesting take up on Yardbarker today. Back when Spurrier was at Florida, a RB recruit who went on to play in the NFL was paid $50K to attend Georgia. He took the UGA money but played ball in Gainesville. But it was UW that was slammed by the NCAA and not UF.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think A & M will fall on their face, and I think the same will be true at Tennessee.  I can see tremendous resentment at Tennessee to one person getting 8M and the rest basically nothing, I think that will end up with a lot of missed blocks ending with QB sacks.  A & M, in my opinion will still get their ass kicked by Alabama and Georgia and most likely more which will cost the coach his job.

Most so called experts that I've talked to think Oregon will do better than most intros NIL era, do to the fantastic success Knight has had with top drawer athletes around the world.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, mrspenney said:

I think A & M will fall on their face, and I think the same will be true at Tennessee.  I can see tremendous resentment at Tennessee to one person getting 8M and the rest basically nothing, I think that will end up with a lot of missed blocks ending with QB sacks.  A & M, in my opinion will still get their ass kicked by Alabama and Georgia and most likely more which will cost the coach his job.

Most so called experts that I've talked to think Oregon will do better than most intros NIL era, do to the fantastic success Knight has had with top drawer athletes around the world.

I hope you are right but  A+M is building one heck of a roster. A roster that is closing the gap with Bama and surpassing Auburn and LSU. A+M plays UGA once in a blue moon. It's permanent E division cross over opponent is Mizzou. Playing Mizzou every season is far different than playing UGA.

And it won't be long before OK and UT officially join the SEC. Once this happens, divisions probably go and pods arrive. The most geographically likely pod for A+M is: A+M, Arkansas, OK and UT. There will be a number of seasons where A+M will miss Bama or LSU, or both.

Tennessee improved greatly in Heupel's 1st season as HC, despite many guys departing due to the NCAA investigation and other reasons. Will TN even be punished for the pay-for-play program it was running before NIL? I can see ASU getting blasted for its 'COVID-recruiting' and TN taking a walk. Compare what the sanctions were for the Ole Miss pay-for-play with what SC got for 1 guy receiving 3rd party benefits. 

Some team has to come in 2nd in the SEC E and it certainly could be TN. 1 very difficult thing for the Vols is having to play Bama and UGA every season.

I don't think we will see 'Ole blocking' because skill guys are making more money than the other guys?  If TN or any school is successful it only raises the NIL market value of every player. NIL in CFB will be the same as salaries in the NFL. Certain positions will be paid more money.

BUT, I sure hope you are right!

I imagine more kids dream of starring in a Nike commercial rather than repping a " vertically integrated real estate company" which boasts "The company seeks niche theses targeting attractive risk-adjusted returns" (Can anyone explain what that means?) as Caleb Williams has signed up for.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, McDuck said:

I imagine more kids dream of starring in a Nike commercial rather than repping a " vertically integrated real estate company" which boasts "The company seeks niche theses targeting attractive risk-adjusted returns" (Can anyone explain what that means?) as Caleb Williams has signed up for.

Other than dinero for Caleb, I don't know?

What’s crazy here is that with this open market for paying players (and even if there we some ‘salary cap’ which I doubt would be legal but that’s another topic), schools are going to seriously need to think about hiring the equivalent of a GM.  

There are going to be misses and a $20MM miss is going to anger boosters funding the talent fund.  Or at least there will be pressure to have more ‘hits’/ROI.  

And if you accept this premise, how does this impact a coach’s ability to offer and pick players.  

Totally wild and I kinda hate it and love it all the same time 

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, Steven A said:

"This $30 million deal is a joke... it didn't affect recruiting at all!"

Say something so that I know I should never take you seriously 

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, Annie said:

How about stolen, you didn't mention that...Just being helpful

• Haha 1

I'd say on rare occasions you can buy a championship.  They Yankees and Dodgers have been a top 3-5 spending team in the MLB since 2000.  Yankees have 2 titles and Dodgers 1. 

Remember the Jail Blazers years?  They were one of the highest paid teams in the league and never made a WCF.  Brooklyn Nets, LA Clippers and LA Lakers are the #2-4 highest paid teams in the league this year. 

I don't see any of the 3 winning a title.  It certainly helps because on very few occasions does a cheap team win

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, Tandaian said:

I'd say on rare occasions you can buy a championship.  They Yankees and Dodgers have been a top 3-5 spending team in the MLB since 2000.  Yankees have 2 titles and Dodgers 1. 

Remember the Jail Blazers years?  They were one of the highest paid teams in the league and never made a WCF.  Brooklyn Nets, LA Clippers and LA Lakers are the #2-4 highest paid teams in the league this year. 

I don't see any of the 3 winning a title.  It certainly helps because on very few occasions does a cheap team win

I think you bring up a great point, it takes a balanced approach to put together a winning program, team. The Lakers have arguably three of the best players in the league, paying massive money, but it isn't working. It will be interesting to watch what balanced means in the new college football world.

I do think the jail blazers may be the outcome for many programs leading the NIL world right now. SC has had a discipline problem for a long time, and this won't help them in that department. Let them feed that enabled mentality to their detriment! 

• Thumbs Up 1