Jon Joseph

Kansas vs Villanova/ Duke vs UNC - The Winners?

It's too bad the Stanford women went down against UConn. However, the Stanford players get to return to Palo Alto and not Storrs, CT.

It's the first game up but in the 'undercard' today I like Kansas to to defeat Nova in a close game.

Tickets for the semifinals with Coach K coaching his last game vs UNC are through the dome. A 2 vs an 8 seed and it looks like Coach K has destiny on his side? I'm going with Duke. This tournament has been a heck of a rebound for 'Tobacco Road' after an underwhelming regular season.

BTW, Coach K is looking darn good for a 75 year old guy. And I should definitely know. K was the born on February 13, 1947, a week to the day after I arrived. What a difference a week makes? I'm exhausted after riding 18 holes in a golf cart. 

I'm not surprised at this kind of grit from a guy of my generation, who played his college ball at West Point under Bobby Knight.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

If I have to admit it, I'm a Duke fan, and was before Coach K started there in 1980. It was because I was fascinated by the names of two of Duke's star players, Mike Gminky and Jim Spanarkel. Kevin Pittsnoggle from West Virginia is also on my All-Name Team

Anyway, I think Duke will win this thing, send Coack out with another championship, and what better way to do it then by knocking UNC out the first time the two teams meet in a March Madness game.

Currently I see Duke -4.5 and Kansas -4 over Villanova I'm going with the favorites.. I can't think of another time when all 4 in a Final Four had multiple championships

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, 30Duck said:

If I have to admit it, I'm a Duke fan, and was before Coach K started there in 1980. It was because I was fascinated by the names of two of Duke's star players, Mike Gminky and Jim Spanarkel. Kevin Pittsnoggle from West Virginia is also on my All-Name Team

Anyway, I think Duke will win this thing, send Coack pout with another championship, and what better way to do it then by knocking UNC out the first time the two teams meet in a March Madness game.

Currently I see Duke -4.5 and Kansas -4 over Villanova I'm going with the favorites.. I can't think of another time when all 4 in a Final Four had multiple championships

I do see a Duke win and cover. I see a Jayhawks win but no cover.

Anyone but Duke.  

Everything about that school is fake, all the way down to the worn down stone steps leading into their buildings (seriously, look up the story of Duke’s architecture history).  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm not surprised at this kind of grit from a guy of my generation, who played his college ball at West Point under Bobby Knight.

Jon, I totally agree. When you think of what he has accomplished in his career with playing at West Point, college coaching, Olympics coaching, and many others, he just seems a step above others. There is something to be said for the "older" generation!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, CalBear95 said:

Anyone but Duke.  

Everything about that school is fake, all the way down to the worn down stone steps leading into their buildings (seriously, look up the story of Duke’s architecture history).  

The school tobacco built. Well one of several in NC. Seriously, a good school, great education, but I wouldn't root for their basketball team if they were playing literal devils (kind of what UNC used to be to this guy who grew up rooting for UVA).

I really don't care who wins this, want them all to lose and not even be here. This is the ultimate of a blue blood final four. Yuk!

Pulling for Villanova all the way.  They build a team the old fashioned way, recruit freshmen and keep them in the program.  If I glanced at their roster correctly they have a single transfer, Caleb Daniels, unrated out of high school and originally enrolled at Tulane.  

If we don't really care for the portal shouldn't we pull for teams that don't use it?

Also I prefer Jay Wright to Coach K.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, McDuck said:

Pulling for Villanova all the way.  They build a team the old fashioned way, recruit freshmen and keep them in the program.  If I glanced at their roster correctly they have a single transfer, Caleb Daniels, unrated out of high school and originally enrolled at Tulane.  

If we don't really care for the portal shouldn't we pull for teams that don't use it?

Also I prefer Jay Wright to Coach K.

I live in the Philly suburbs, about 10 minutes from Villanova. Jay Wright is a great coach, more from the "old school." Although he is often mentioned for other "bigger" opportunities, he shoots them down and has remained loyal to Villanova. Even more notable since he did not attend college there.

He is active in the community and I hear he is good with players past and present. Since taking over in 2001, Wright has built up the program into what it is today. He will get a couple of high recruits each year, but he seems to really know how to coach up "average" players to do well in his system.

This has been a difficult year for Nova due to injuries and Wright has definitely shown his coaching skills. He is worth rooting for.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I live in the Philly suburbs, about 10 minutes from Villanova. Jay Wright is a great coach, more from the "old school." Although he is often mentioned for other "bigger" opportunities, he shoots them down and has remained loyal to Villanova. Even more notable since he did not attend college there. He is active in the community and I hear he is good with players past and present. Since taking over in 2001, Wright has built up the program into what it is today. He will get a couple of high recruits each year, but he seems to really know how to coach up "average" players to do well in his system. This has been a difficult year for Nova due to injuries and Wright has definitely shown his coaching skills. He is worth rooting for.

Thank you.  Nice to have my gut hunch confirmed.

I’ve got two kids at UNC. My wife went there, as did her mom, as did her grandfather Chuck Erickson, who played tailback and then golf coach and AD, hiring Dean Smith and getting inducted into UNC HOF. In summary…GO HEELS!

On 4/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, CalBear95 said:

Anyone but Duke. 

I second that!  I'll never forgive Coach K for lecturing Dillion Brooks after the Sweet 16 tournament game.  Whether it was the late heave by Brooks to knock down the deep three or the celebration that followed afterwards, Coach K got into his head for the next game against the Sooners.  Brooks should have been riding on cloud 9 and ultra confident going into that game.  Rather than focusing on the game in front of him, his focus was on the last game and what he did to disrespect the Great Coach K and his Blue-Blooded Blue Devils.

Brooks tried to brush it off when asked if it was a distraction but his performance against the Sooners said it all.  That was one of his worse games if not the worst as a Duck.

Classless or not, it wasn't Coach K's place to speak out against matter.  That would be Coach Altman's job.  If Coach K wanted to make it his mission to put an end to showboating in the sport, he should have started with the NBA stars who lead the youths by example.  Better yet, he should have taught his own players better. 

His past teams haven't exactly exemplified class.  Let's not forget, he was personally responsible for coaching players like Christian Laettner and Grayson Allen, some of the dirtiest players in the last 40 years.  To pick that specific moment to take a stand and rain on young man's parade, doesn't only make him look petty and egotistical but a hypocrite.

Edited by DuckIt

On 4/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

BTW, Coach K is looking darn good for a 75 year old guy. And I should definitely know. K was the born on February 13, 1947, a week to the day after I arrived. What a difference a week makes? I'm exhausted after riding 18 holes in a golf cart. 

I bet if you dyed your hair, you'd look that good too!

• Haha 1

All righty then, Monday night tune in for the Roy Williams Bowl?

Coach Self followed Williams at Kansas and Coach Davis did so at UNC.

Hadn't thought of this before but Williams leaving KU for UNC was kind of like Riley leaving OK for SC, other than for UNC being Williams alma mater.

• Thumbs Up 1