AllOregon

Coach K’s Final Karma for Unethical Behavior Ends Career

How perfect that karma ends Coach K’s career with his two most important last games ending in devastating losses to his hated nearby rival.  NC beats him in his last home game and in his last ever game when Duke actually led late. Perfect lasting memories that will never go away, that he deserves.

I lost all respect for him when he meddled with Dillon Brooks, disrespected Altman and tried to hide it after the Ducks crushed Duke in the 2016 Big Dance. It certainly impacted Dillon and the Ducks in coming out flat in a loss the next round during Elite 8.

And how Karma showed its face several times.  Coach K’s wife leaves her seat with Duke slightly ahead late to go be near the bench only to see NC go on a run with Duke choking free throws.  Reminded me of the Falcons owner leaving his seat early to be on the field in the Super Bowl before the Patriots came from behind.

Karma, thank you.  You are awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Coach K gets Zero love from the Duck faithful, good riddance!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, AllOregon said:

How perfect that karma ends Coach K’s career with his two most important last games ending in devastating losses to his hated nearby rival.  NC beats him in his last home game and in his last ever game when Duke actually led late. Perfect lasting memories that will never go away, that he deserves.

I lost all respect for him when he meddled with Dillon Brooks, disrespected Altman and tried to hide it after the Ducks crushed Duke in the 2016 Big Dance. It certainly impacted Dillon and the Ducks in coming out flat in a loss the next round during Elite 8.

And how Karma showed its face several times.  Coach K’s wife leaves her seat with Duke slightly ahead late to go be near the bench only to see NC go on a run with Duke choking free throws.  Reminded me of the Falcons owner leaving his seat early to be on the field in the Super Bowl before the Patriots came from behind.

Karma, thank you.  You are awesome.

Where's the karma for two decades of academic fraud at UNC getting a pass?

Dissing Brooks and Altman? No excuse.

But I am loathe to blame the following loss on K's churlish behavior. If the other coach is a jerk at the end of a game and it affects the Ducks play in the next game, that's on the Ducks.

Get the animus against K, but he is the 'modern' (post Wooden) CFB GOAT.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Also agree on NC, but I will agree to disagree on Coach K as GOAT.  He also cheated to get there.

He is no more the GOAT than how the baseball Hall of Fame looks at Barry Bonds’ accomplishments as cheating.

Corey Maggette on Natty runner up team getting paid back in the 1990s, Chris Duhon’s mom (from 2001 Title team) getting paid, Grant Hill’s car,, Lance Thomas from the 2010 title team with the $100K jewelry payment, Zion Williamson benes, it goes on and on.  Was a Duke system and who was at the helm the whole time…

A few years ago, CBS Sports did a survey of 100 coaches to respond anonymously on who is best at getting away with breaking the rules.  Calipari was #1, followed not far behind by Coach K.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Get the animus against K, but he is the 'modern' (post Wooden) CFB GOAT

I was finding it especially annoying that the media was pushing the narrative they were. He was never going to be my hero. It reminded of the 60s and 70s promotion of the Dallas Cowboys.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill Self is another scumbag who can’t seem to follow the rules, so it’s a showdown between two schools with a rich history of fraud. The only coach in the Final Four with any ethics is Jay Wright. Maybe one day Altman and Few (Duck alumn) will make it back and return some class to the championship weekend. And yes, I know Mark Few has had his personal issues with his DWI. I still think he’s an ethical coach.

Also, it’s well known about Coach K’s cheating, but Grant Hill came from a very prominent family. His parents could have afforded to buy him a very nice car. I can’t imagine his dad letting him accept a car for playing for Duke.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 4/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Bill Self is another scumbag who can’t seem to follow the rules, so it’s a showdown between two schools with a rich history of fraud. The only coach in the Final Four with any ethics is Jay Wright. Maybe one day Altman and Few will make it back and return some class to the championship weekend.  

Also, it’s well known about Coach K’s cheating, but Grant Hill came from a very prominent family. His parents could have afforded to buy him a very nice car. I can’t imagine his dad letting him accept a car for playing for Duke.

Grant Hill's dad was a great RB at Yale and a very good RB for the Cowboys.

Not disagreeing with any of the above takes.

But have younger forum members ever heard of Sam Gilbert? 

Sam was John Wooden's bag man. 

This 'stuff' has been going on for a long time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But have younger forum members ever heard of Sam Gilbert? 

Sam was John Wooden's bag man. 

The younger folks probably not. But Sam was a huge treason for UCLA's success. This was all back in the day when sports reporting was a lot of wink, wink. Coach Wooden is portrayed as a wonderful guy. But you don't have the streak that his Bruins went on without  stretching, covering some stuff, and, as referenced in the marvelous book by Bud Withers. Mad Hoops, Wooden hated Oregon and Dick Harter. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, 30Duck said:

Wooden hated Oregon and Dick Harter. 

To be fair, no visiting team wanted to play Mac. I have been in two places where an earthquake occurred in my life. One- I was inside the containment building of a nearby nuclear power plant during the World Series quake- 2 any time wooden’s bruins played the Mac. 

How many  games have you seen delayed because the backboard was jumping up and down? The Mac was electric.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 3:42 PM, Flyin Vee said:

The Mac was electric.

It truly was. As much as we credit Chip for revolutionizing college, and pro football, Dick Harter, the Kamikaze Kids, and Mac Court, did the same in college basketball. UCLA was on top, and it was finesse, with a capital F.

Enter Dick Harter and defense with a capital D. Nobody was taking charges, or really making a player think twice about getting to the rim. That all changed with Harter and Oregon, and then you put that in. "The Pit?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, 30Duck said:

The younger folks probably not. But Sam was a huge treason for UCLA's success. This was all back in the day when sports reporting was a lot of wink, wink. Coach Wooden is portrayed as a wonderful guy. But you don't have the streak that his Bruins went on without  stretching, covering some stuff, and, as referenced in the marvelous book by Bud Withers. Mad Hoops, Wooden hated Oregon and Dick Harter. 

A little OT, but my Dad watched John Wooden play at Purdue, waaaaaaaay back in the day. The day of tip offs after every basket and 2 handed underhanded set shots.

No shot clock, no 3 point line and a game that finished 40 to something else in the 40's was a scoring fest.

No dunking the ball, but who could dunk? And yes, racism had much to do with 'this.'

John Wooden like all great men has skeleton's in the closet.

Spot on. Reporters back then were more promoters than they were journalists. And this continued well into the 70's.

Folks back then would have been shocked by what what we routinely see on 'social' media today.

I'm not certain that myths back when were not better than what today passes for 'truth?'

Sorry, I need to go lean on my cane.

Grew up in ACC country, people here were excited when K came and after a few years of sputtering final began to challenge UNC's reign in the conference.

After a few years and the retirement of Dean Smith, it was then who will rise up and challenge Duke and that whiney Coach K.

Soon it was common knowledge among ACC fans you could not get a fairly called game in the ACC if Coach K was on the sidelines. This bothered many people in the MId Atlantic more than any recruiting "irregularities" that went on. 

Later I knew the parents of one of the Duke players. They conceded the guy knew his basketball and could coach, but would quickly follow that he was not a good example to their son in the way of character. They gave many examples that I won't go into here.

It can be frustrating when you follow a program, that you have involvement in and know they are doing things the right way and watch them lose out to programs, recruiting and on the court or field to programs who are well known for not doing things the right way.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

John Wooden like all great men has skeleton's in the closet.

Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone, not seeing a lot of stones thrown.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:00 PM, Steven A said:

Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone, not seeing a lot of stones thrown.

AMEN! 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:44 AM, OhioDuck said:

Later I knew the parents of one of the Duke players. They conceded the guy knew his basketball and could coach, but would quickly follow that he was not a good example to their son in the way of character. They gave many examples that I won't go into here.

It can be frustrating when you follow a program, that you have involvement in and know they are doing things the right way and watch them lose out to programs, recruiting and on the court or field to programs who are well known for not doing things the right way.

Probably a good example of this is his tolerance of Grayson Allen.  That kid would have been kicked off most other teams for his horrendous behavior.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to perseverate on this, and it is a UNC perspective, but this seems a little classless to do on your way out.

https%3A%2F%2Fkeepingitheel.com%2Fwp-con
KEEPINGITHEEL.COM

Following a loss to the UNC basketball program in the Final Four, Duke head coach...

On 4/3/2022 at 12:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Bill Self is another scumbag who can’t seem to follow the rules, so it’s a showdown between two schools with a rich history of fraud. The only coach in the Final Four with any ethics is Jay Wright. Maybe one day Altman and Few (Duck alumn) will make it back and return some class to the championship weekend. And yes, I know Mark Few has had his personal issues with his DWI. I still think he’s an ethical coach.

Are we allowed to call people scumbags on here?

Self just guided Kansas to a national title and presided over one of the biggest second half comebacks in championship game history.

And, yes, he reportedly has done some shady things, which without question is wrong, but using the term “scumbag” seems at odds with the culture of the Forum With Decorum.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:24 PM, DUCKED said:

using the term “scumbag” seems at odds with the culture of the Forum With Decorum.

We allow "commentary" about anyone/anything of a personal nature with the exception of current players and coaches.  We can be negative about the player performance or coaching decisions, but we cannot get personal about current players and coaches.

Everyone/everything else is fair game.  While it would be nice to limit some of that--it is a nightmare enough enforcing a standard not known anywhere else on the web as it is.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/5/2022 at 2:24 AM, DUCKED said:

Self just guided Kansas to a national title and presided over one of the biggest second half comebacks in championship game history.

And, yes, he reportedly has done some shady things, which without question is wrong, but using the term “scumbag” seems at odds with the culture of the Forum With Decorum.

The biggest comeback in tournament history. Happy for KU and Self, a guy whose Dad passed 2 months ago.

No a whole lot of love for some very good CBB coaches on the OBD.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:24 AM, DUCKED said:

I stand by my assessment of his attitude toward coaching ethics. Kansas was 4 for 14 on layup attempts in the first half. If they make their high percentage shots they don’t have to come back. 

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I stand by my assessment of his attitude toward coaching ethics. Kansas was 4 for 14 on layup attempts in the first half. If they make their high percentage shots they don’t have to come back. 

Scoreboard?

Ethics in big time CBB may be an oxymoron? He brought it upon himself but it is amazing for KU to win a title when recruiting under the NCAA gun for 4+ years. 

Not a lot of these KU guys will be playing in the NBA. Question his ethics? I get it. But Self is one of the best coaches in CBB bar none. The NCAA runs him off and many the NBA team will be ready to sign him up.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Ethics in big time CBB may be an oxymoron

Why limit it to CBB?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2022 at 1:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Scoreboard?

Ethics in big time CBB may be an oxymoron? He brought it upon himself but it is amazing for KU to win a title when recruiting under the NCAA gun for 4+ years. 

Not a lot of these KU guys will be playing in the NBA. Question his ethics? I get it. But Self is one of the best coaches in CBB bar none. The NCAA runs him off and many the NBA team will be ready to sign him up.

You’re correct. He cheated and it worked for him because he won a national championship. Just like John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Pete Carroll and Barry Switzer. He wouldn’t even have the team he has now if not for the NCAA slow rolling their investigation.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 4/5/2022 at 9:04 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

You’re correct. He cheated and it worked for him because he won a national championship. Just like John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Pete Carroll and Barry Switzer. He wouldn’t even have the team he has now if not for the NCAA slow rolling their investigation.

Doctor, I get your point. But's what new since James Naismith hung up a peach box on a stanchion at Springfield College?

Win one for the Gipper? ND won with the Gipper when they could find and drag the Gipper out of a South Bend pool hall.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

This is looking at things from some pretty Yellow and green colored glasses. You know that wright is the only coach in the final four with any ethics? Hubert Davis is a first year coach. The ducks and Nike have never helped encourage a player to come to Oregon financially? I’m a huge duck fan, but we sound totally self righteous if we believe we haven’t played these games too.

And jay wright somehow is not doing this at Villanova? On what grounds? Much more likely that he is doing the same thing every other successful coach is doing. I agree we shouldn’t be lauding the nobility of krzyzsewski, but it’s not like the ncaa is super effective at finding and exposing all the fraud going on across college sports. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, Nautique Duck said:

This is looking at things from some pretty Yellow and green colored glasses. You know that wright is the only coach in the final four with any ethics? Hubert Davis is a first year coach. The ducks and Nike have never helped encourage a player to come to Oregon financially? I’m a huge duck fan, but we sound totally self righteous if we believe we haven’t played these games too.

And jay wright somehow is not doing this at Villanova? On what grounds? Much more likely that he is doing the same thing every other successful coach is doing. I agree we shouldn’t be lauding the nobility of krzyzsewski, but it’s not like the ncaa is super effective at finding and exposing all the fraud going on across college sports. 

When I see the investigations then I’ll change my tune on Oregon, Gonzaga and Villanova. As far as football goes, Chip cheated and we’re lucky we didn’t get hit harder.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:40 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

When I see the investigations then I’ll change my tune on Oregon, Gonzaga and Villanova. As far as football goes, Chip cheated and we’re lucky we didn’t get hit harder.

Spot on regarding Chip. But was Chip the only guy using a 'runner' to help out with recruiting? Oregon was an easy target.

The NCAA did nothing regarding two decades of academic fraud at UNC so UNC is a squeaky clean program?

The NCAA practices selective investigation and enforcement. Teams in the west and the Midwest, like the 'Kansas City Jayhawks,' are more likely to be slammed than teams down south.

When investigations take years and years and years, like the SC/Reggie Bush investigation and the Kansas CBB investigation now into its 4th plus year, something is fundamentally wrong with the investigators. 

If I used the NCAA as my moral compass I likely wouldn't be able to back out of my garage.

Roy Williams was happy to let Butch Davis take the fall for the academic misconduct that ran rampant through the UNC athletic program. He got canned and they vacated his wins for two seasons.  I already lumped Roy Williams in with the likes of Pitino, Carroll, etc. as his players were just as guilty. Butch was the sacrificial lamb.