Charles Fischer

(FishDuck Article) “Limousine Larry” Scott’s Ride is Coming to an End

Come this June, the Pac-12 will purchase one final plane ticket for current Commissioner Larry Scott, and it will be a one-way ticket to anywhere but here.   Thank goodness.   While Scott did bring the Pac-12 up to date and into the 2000s (His predecessor Tom Hansen had fallen woefully behind the times) with marketing and branding, it became ...

Read the full article here...

Mr. FishDuck

That's great.  What took so long?  Guy was the definition of "in over his head." You Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Darren, your article was spot on today, Thanks

It's to bad it has taken so long for our Pac-12 CEO Group to recognize this and take action. It seems we had to wait for the turn over of enough presidents to reach the proper consensus.

I also want to give a shout out to John Canzano for his continuous attention to this problem. He's a good source of information as you point out. 

Your summary of "And if they screw it up? No biggie. It’s only the end of the Pac-12 as we now know it." is so right, we must get it right this time. 

Found this over on another board (Notre Dame Rivals) for this past year on ratings this year. From something called Sports Media Watch. Had not seen if but forgive if it is a repeat.

Who is watching this Pac-12 conference?

Most games televised
Most viewers in tota
Viewers per gamel
Change in avg viewership from prior year equivalent game

1: Bama - 12 / 87.6M / 7.3M / 3%
2: N Dame - 12 / 70.5M / 5.9M / 104%
3: Ohio State - 8 / 69.6M / 8.7M / 21%
4: Clemson - 9 / 60.2M / 6.7M / 33%
5: Florida - 11 / 44.3M / 4M / 10%
6: Georgia - 5 / 34.7M / 6.9M / 20%
7: Oklahoma - 10 / 30.7M / 3.1M / -30%
8: Auburn - 8 / 28.7M / 3.6M / 7%
9: Texas A&M - 8 / 27.4M / 3.4M / 47%
10: Iowa State - 12 / 27.1M / 2.3M / -1%
11: Texas - 9 / 26.2M / 2.9M / 3%
12: N Carolina - 8 / 24.2M / 3M / -13%
13: OK State - 11 / 23.9M / 2.2M / -15%
14: LSU - 6 / 23.3M / 3.9M / -8%
15: Miami (FL) - 7 / 21.7M / 3.1M / 24%
16: N'western - 7 / 21.6M / 3.1M / 85%
17: Michigan - 5 / 19.9M / 4M / 22%
18. Oregon - 7 / 19.8M/ 2.8M/36%
19: Penn State - 7 / 18.3M / 2.6M / 69%
20: Indiana - 7 / 18.2M / 2.6M / 10%
21: Wisconsin - 6 / 17.6M / 2.9M / 33%
22: Michigan St - 7 / 17.5M / 2.5M / 43%
23: Tennessee - 5 / 17.3M / 3.5M / 27%
24: Cincinnati - 8 / 16.5M / 2.1M / -12%
25: West Virginia - 10 / 15.5M / 1.6M / 4%

29: USC - 6 /13.4M/ 2.2M / -17.75

65 Power Five teams and, if this is accurate, only two in the top 30? Not exactly new news but still interesting to see in black-and-white. All factors considered, a decent number for Oregon I"d suggest?

Other Numbers:

The Fiesta Bowl finished 6th in bowls with 6.6M, behind the 3 BCS games and the Peach (Georgia-Cin) and Cotton (A&M-NC). The Pac-12 Championship had 3.85M, ahead of the Big 12 Championship (Oklahoma shows State) at 2.99M.

The Huskies had a later game schedule, their 4 games drawing 0.74M, 1.14M, 2.02M, 1.3M for an average of 1.3M per game, which wasn't ranked in the available chart I saw.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherOD said:

65 Power Five teams and, if this is accurate, only two in the top 30?

Your research in providing evidence to your points is impressive, and boy...that is as bad as I feared.  Thank goodness it is Oregon who is up there!

Mr. FishDuck

It's amazing that USC, in the 2nd largest television market, is so far down. But, that's the west-coast for you, that's the Pac-12 foot-print. Our region as a whole just doesn't care as much as the rest of the country does. I mean heck, LA went 22 years without and NFL team. That would be unfathomable in most cities that currently have a team. Even Cleveland got a team back in 4 years!

Larry has alot of money left to be paid, so that probably played a part in why it took so long. But now he's gone, we can only focus on the future, and the right hire can get the Pac-12 back to where it should be ..... oh, and, uh, if USC could ever get their sh*t together!

7 minutes ago, Darren Perkins said:

oh, and, uh, if USC could ever get their sh*t together!

UCLA, where apathy towards football reigns supreme could surge past USC if it stays stuck in Clay. 

I don't like to celebrate the failures of others. It was well past time to move on from Larry Scott for the survival of the conference.

Was it too late?

The ravages of the pandemic forced many changes and adjustments to established systems.

Will the Presidents of PAC12 universities make changes to restore the conference and achieve financial competitiveness?

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but here goes anyway, "WINNING puts butts in the seats".

Was it too late? (in regards to firing Scott)

I don't think so, I don't think we're on red alert quite yet, but deep into yellow alert for sure. 

If the right hire is made, the gap between the Pac-12 and evreybody else should slowly but surely go away. It's take several years, maybe a decade, but it can happen. 

1 hour ago, Notalot said:

I don't like to celebrate the failures of others.. It was well past time to move on from Larry Scott for the survival of the conference.

Well past time to move on for sure.

When people suggest the Pac-12 has had little conception of "urgency", to it's detriment, this appears an excellent example.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Like 1

Darren, nicely done.  Of course, the end of the Pac 12 as we know it right now, might not be a bad thing!

We were backing into an Ivy League type athletic conference. I think there may have been some who really didn't care about the direction we were headed, some presidents who are more academically focused perhaps. Something had to be happening to have Larry get another contract and the carnage to have continued.

We can all be grateful for this step. Now can the Pac-12 hire a Cristobal type commissioner that can bring the action back to the Pac-12 like Mario did, I hope so!

• Like 1

I generally have a rule against rooting for anyone's demise but I admit I have been known to complain about the PAC 12 leadership in recent years. It appears to me that there is a general (if not overwhelming) agreement that a new direction is needed. Thus, heading into Friday Night I will be celebrating that new direction, and the hire of Tim DeRuyter as DC. I look forward to all of your reactions and thoughtful opinions on the hire. Go Ducks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Geezer said:

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but here goes anyway, "WINNING puts butts in the seats".

You are so right about winning. For Pac-12 schools to win over other Pac-12 schools is easy. However winning over the schools of other conferences is much harder. When the second best of the Big12 embarrass the best of the Pac-12, you know the Pac-12 has a problem. That problem is money. 

It takes money for schools to draw elite coaches and keep them. Just ask Colorado about that, they couldn't even keep a mediocre coach because of money. 

Yes, winning will put butts in the seats and to win you have to spend big money to get a big coaching. Or you can be content with winning the Pac-12 conference and not going any further in the win game.  As for me I would like to have the Ducks win a national title while I'm still around to see it. (They better hurry)

6 minutes ago, Carl LeDuck 85 said:

I look forward to all of your reactions and thoughtful opinions on the hire.

He beat the Ducks and he passed the MC entrances exam so he must have something going for him, but can he recruit ??

On 1/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

BigDucksFan, you must be elated!

Yes, I've been dancing in the street since hearing about it. The news has a lot of ramifications to it.

One is that the leading Pac-12 schools will no longer think about jumping ship to another conference.

Two, we know which school presidents are not concerned about improving the Pac-12 and must be removed.

Three, the players that created the "protest" within the Pac-12 last season will probably get their issues addressed, defused and go away.

Four, the schools should start getting a little more money, which I'm sure they will be happy about, after all a few million dollars split 12 ways is still a lot of money. 

Five, I can now stop complaining about Larry Scott and concentrate on more important things. 

giphy.gif