RatherBe

Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as Defensive Coordinator

Per FootballScoop

Alma Mater: Air Force Academy

Position(s) coached: outside linebackers

Tim DeRuyter is currently the co-DC and Associate Head Coach at Cal, where he has been since the 2017 season. 

From 2012-2016 he was the Head Coach at Fresno State, winning two Mountain West conference titles and coaching players such as Derek Carr and Davante Adams. 

Prior to getting the Fresno job DeRuyter spent two seasons as DC at Texas A&M, where his defense led the country in sacks with his star pupil Von Miller. 

B5D91059-E77D-4FEC-936E-A4743919E45E.jpeg

• Like 1

If Mario thought that DeRuyter was the best DC out there, I'll go with that, he's got an impressive record of picking assistants. Mario didn't pick him just because the "Matrix" said to, but whatever it was that prompted that recommendation must have had some resonance to it.  

Whoa a bit surprised but my first (and not especially knowledgeable) glance looks good. Some notes I came across from a Cal site:

It's a normal, base 3-4 alignment, with the defensive ends in a '5 technique' in front of the tackles and the nose playing on top of the center. Both outside linebackers are stand-up pass rushers and the top priority for players moving to that position is their ability to rush the passer.

*That being said, there isn't a concrete form for this defense... they're going to move around, "be multiple", use a lot of different blitzes and line stunts to confuse protection schemes. When they go to a nickel, it'll be a 4-2-5, with those rush outside linebackers coming down to the defensive end spots.

A big part of a DeRuyter defense is aggressiveness, blitzing, feigning blitzes, causing confusion to the point of forcing turnovers, sacks, and tackles for loss... as far as actual scheme goes, DeRuyter is willing to send both rush ends on a blitz, while trusting his linebackers to provide contain on a blitz.

Other times, they'll lay off and rush four, sending one of the rush linebackers into coverage. It's likely that Cal will use converted DEs on one side of the linebacking core, but the other side should be a more traditional outside linebacker that can drop and cover, like on this play...The defense provides solid pressure with a four man rush ...other times, a DeRuyter defense will show blitz, back off, bring pressure from elsewhere, and run a line stunt.

*What DeRuyter has brought to the table in past stints as a DC: an aggressive defense that can cause havoc and force mistakes. As far as coverage goes, with the amount of blitzing expected, there should be more man defense played by the Bears...

Not the most recent article though:

• Like 1

I think that Justin Hopkins at ScoopDuck.com explained it well when he admitted that Coach DeRuyter is not the sexy pick for Oregon's DC.  But his defenses have performed well and what you have seen at Cal is his work primarily and not that of Justin Wilcox. JHop was early in on Tim DeRuyter as one of the main candidates and has consistently placed him as one, if the not the most likely DC successor.

ScoopDuck is a subscription site, but the information provided in recruiting and topics such as this make it quite worthwhile.  (I urge everyone to support all three of the subscription Oregon sites ScoopDuck, 247-Duck Territory, and Duck Sports Authority, as they provide information that major media does not and later rips off of without giving credit....something I know about well.)

Mr. FishDuck

25 minutes ago, AnotherOD said:

Not the most recent article though:

Excellent article and superb information AnotherOD....you are killing it these days and THANKS.

Fresno State 2012 DAT_KC.jpg

Tim DeRuyter was the coach of Fresno State when the Bulldogs came to Autzen Stadium in 2012 with Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota at QBs, although De'Anthony Thomas had a big day.

Mr. FishDuck

The fact that he helped developed Von Miller has to be a selling point to our elite LB's and maybe even JTT. The fact that his record at Fresno State was a downward spiral doesn't bode well for his recruiting ability. In the end I have faith in Cristobal and what he thinks we need. Welcome Mr. DeRuyter to the Oregon Family!

13 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

The fact that he helped developed Von Miller has to be a selling point to our elite LB's and maybe even JTT.

Fantastic point with the February National LOI day coming up!

Mr. FishDuck

Doing some reading around different programs, the message board fan opinion tends to lean toward OC and DC becoming less and less a primary recruiting positions? 

I don't know if it is now a even stronger emphasis/responsibility put upon position coaches, or an expansion of the role of support staff? Don't really have any conclusions on the matter, but it seems to be out there?

My initial thought for whoever the new defensive coordinator: you’re going to look good. 

Oregon’s defense massively underachieved last season. A variety of factors ranging from the conditioning due to the players being gone, to opt outs, to injuries, to plain bad luck. Fumbles bouncing the wrong way, refs swallowing the whistle on holding or blowing it too soon on ending of forward progress that stopped some fumbles.

With the returning talent and experience DeRuyter is going to be able to improve it in a lot of statistical categories just by being average. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. The thing I’m most excited for is his defenses performance against the pass. That’s an area they’ve always excelled in, and is becoming more and more important in college football. 

I think this is a solid choice. Its not as exciting as some of the splashier names out there but Oregon doesn't need splash it needs a GOOD defense. With so much raw talent on the roster it needs some development and be put in the position to make plays.

Oh... and we may have made Jimmy Lake's job more difficult in the UW DC hire. That would be a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

It appears that if you coach a good game against the Ducks, Mario will hire you.

Other good news: Jaylon Redd comes back for another year, and the crystal balls are pointing to commitments from Byron Cardwell and Gracen Halton.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jrw said:

Other good news: Jaylon Redd comes back for another year, and the crystal balls are pointing to commitments from Byron Cardwell and Gracen Halton.

Yes, we have a thread below about Jaylon Redd, and I will be writing about Oregon's Final Push for 2021 recruiting in a Sunday article on FishDuck.

Mr. FishDuck

One of my main takeaways from this hire is it will make recruitting of JTT types easier. He looks big on rushing the passer. That's what guys like Thibs want to do... over and over again. After Thibs has a great year next year, he will be gone. We need to keep a pipeline of good defensive linemen and edge rushers. Having a guy that wants to put a lot of pressure on the QB will do nothing but help in the recruiting of these guys, even if the DC himself is not the best recruiter out there.

It is very possible that one of MC's selling points to TD is that he will learn how to become a better recruiter at Oregon.

Was looking at Cal’s defensive stats:

2017 defense allowed 28.4 pts/gm, ranked 79th (out of 130)

2018 defense allowed 20.4 pts/gm, ranked 22nd

2019 defense allowed 21.9 pts/gm, ranked 33rd 

For comparison, Oregon’s defensive stats:

2017 defense allowed 29.0 pts/gm, ranked 81st

2018 defense allowed 25.4 pts/gm, ranked 48th

2019 defense allowed 16.5 pts/gm, ranked 9th

DeRuyter has available some of the best defensive talent in the PAC 12. His 3-4 alignment should excel with outstanding linebackers, DE’s that can pressure the QB, and DB’s that are capable to cover man to man...I think our defensive personnel will fit his defensive style of play  : )

If we get improved play at DT, we will be formidable on defense...if we get our QB back on track, we should be fun to watch.

Edited by Drake

The more I read about DeRuyter the more I like this hire.

Oregon has some INCREDIBLE raw talent on the defensive line and linebacker and this hire is going to get the most out of that talent. KT is going to be put in position to win at the line of scrimmage and break into the backfield on every single down. He was basically doing this already but a scheme designed to do this will make him even more terrifying.

Perhaps the biggest weakness is recruiting. This is something that can certainly be an area of growth and Cristobal obviously wasn't too concerned about this as he choose to hire him. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see DeRuyter working with some of Oregon's big recruiters and see his own recruiting improve while working at Oregon. He has a scheme that can be VERY attractive for many potential recruits.

Who knows this system might be enough to make a final push to get JTT which would take the Oregon defense to the next level.

• Thumbs Up 1