Kurt Rambis

Transfer Portal Honesty

I have to say I'm getting rather tired of kids entering the transfer portal with an announcement that thanks and lauds all their coaches, teammates, fans, the school, etc.  If so-and-so coach showed you how to be a man and improved your play, your teammates are all your brothers, the fans are all the best, the experience was awesome, and you'll be a Duck/Sooner/Gator forever, why are you leaving?

I'd like to see a more truthful transfer portal announcement from some of these kids.

"It really wasn't a hard decision, and I'm transferring from Tennessee.  As a three-star recruit (which was insultingly low), I thought I'd come in and start right away at LB.  Instead these clown coaches didn't recognize my innate talent and brilliance and stuck me at third team.  Totally unfair.  The guys starting in front of me don't deserve it; they're just all-SEC selections, fifth-year seniors and future first-round draft choices.  But they're not future hall-of-famers like I am.  

"I also didn't like that sometimes the coaches would yell at me and hurt my feelings.  And that dang academic advisor actually expected me to attend class!  

"So I'm leaving UT because I've already had people whispering in my ear that I can get a huge NIL deal at another school.  I'll be expecting UCLA or Texas to ship me a buttload of money and let me come in as a starter right away.  Can't wait to blow this dump!  See ya, suckers!"

• Haha 10
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kurt Rambis, I totally agree with you. Whenever I read a portal transfer announcement, I think what a bunch of BS. We all know the real reason is most likely they're stuck down on the totem pole or they want to make more NIL. People don't transfer because they are enjoying and are appreciative of a situation so much!

It's sad commitments to a program don't mean as much anymore.

The problem with the truth is that it doesn't make them look good where they land. No one wants to see an ungrateful player join their team. 

Though it would be nice if there was a little more honestly in their departure announcements. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 3:39 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I have to say I'm getting rather tired of kids entering the transfer portal with an announcement that thanks and lauds all their coaches, teammates, fans, the school, etc.  If so-and-so coach showed you how to be a man and improved your play, your teammates are all your brothers, the fans are all the best, the experience was awesome, and you'll be a Duck/Sooner/Gator forever, why are you leaving?

I'd like to see a more truthful transfer portal announcement from some of these kids.

"It really wasn't a hard decision, and I'm transferring from Tennessee.  As a three-star recruit (which was insultingly low), I thought I'd come in and start right away at LB.  Instead these clown coaches didn't recognize my innate talent and brilliance and stuck me at third team.  Totally unfair.  The guys starting in front of me don't deserve it; they're just all-SEC selections, fifth-year seniors and future first-round draft choices.  But they're not future hall-of-famers like I am.  

"I also didn't like that sometimes the coaches would yell at me and hurt my feelings.  And that dang academic advisor actually expected me to attend class!  

"So I'm leaving UT because I've already had people whispering in my ear that I can get a huge NIL deal at another school.  I'll be expecting UCLA or Texas to ship me a buttload of money and let me come in as a starter right away.  Can't wait to blow this dump!  See ya, suckers!"

Great take……..hilarious.

Many of us I’m sure have those same thoughts, but you absolutely nailed it.

And the parting post often ends with, “Having said that…….I’m outta here!”

Well done, because they all make me want to hurl.

Axel's post making fun of Travis Dye's announcement was epic; using his words and attaching them to traitors in history--awesome.

This post of yours Kurt--in the same vein, but a different form of humor that was a riot as well.  I'm glad others are feeling what I am when they announce...

Mr. FishDuck

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Just about everybody expects some type of announcement after a decision is made.  Are kids supposed to not say anything when they are leaving?  Then they will get screamed at for not giving a reason.  Or are the kids supposed to say they hated the coaches and their teammates?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just guessing on percentages but probably 3/4 of these kids will end up with no scholarship and no nil deal. It’s a gamble that some should not take. 

Wonder how many transfer because of their girlfriend. 😂 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, Tandaian said:

Are kids supposed to not say anything when they are leaving?

I'd be fine with that. All the "This was a really tough decision, " I can do without. If it was so tough, and they still left, then it wasn't that tough. Again, "Once a Duck, always a Duck" is the most disingenuous of all. Is Dye still a Duck next season while he's wearing the Trojans uniform?

Great job! It’s pathetic that these transfers can use the same language as those who are really moving on to the next level and foregoing their college eligibility. Not only do they lack honesty, they also lack imagination. Good riddance.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, 30Duck said:

Again, "Once a Duck, always a Duck" is the most disingenuous of all. Is Dye still a Duck next season while he's wearing the Trojans uniform?

He was a Duck for three years, and will never be one again.  That is MY view!

Travis Dye and Oregon Fans...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 2

Mr. FishDuck

I see it a lot like leaving a job that you may not be getting the pay or opportunity you deserve, or do not have a good relationship with your boss.  Sometimes a tough decision because there are good things about it and sometimes not tough at all.  I think what you say when you leave is important especially now since it will be on social media and in print forever.  

My advice to my kids if they are going to leave a job might help some transfers:

First of all get good advice before you make a rash decision - be thoughtful about short and long term implications

Be honest but don’t come across bitter or disingenuous (Dye).

Be succinct and don’t make it personal

Be respectful for the opportunity you had

Don’t burn a bridge with how you leave - even though leaving may burn the bridge - don’t make it worse

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/8/2022 at 6:39 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

There are schools paying more than TENNE$$EE? Who knew!

On 4/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, David Marsh said:

The problem with the truth is that it doesn't make them look good where they land. No one wants to see an ungrateful player join their team. 

Though it would be nice if there was a little more honestly in their departure announcements. 

How about just letting entering the portal speak for itself with no need to say or do anything else? Too Old School?

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out you self-absorbed XXXXXXX!

I think it might be good to give them a template they just put their name on, much like they do for the papers due in many classes.

I, name here, think I am different than the 75% stuck in the portal with no scholarship or NIL money. I am choosing to go to a school with more/less (choose one) competition because I think I will thrive in that environment better. My choice comes after consulting my coach/parents/homies/other schools/agent (choose all that apply). I realize this will be a huge decision and look forward to living with the consequences of this choice. My choice is mainly based on academics/athletics and I have a clear, opaque, completely clueless idea about how my future will play out. I want to thank myself, my coaches, a host of people I have no idea their motives, for helping me with this decision which will impact me greatly over my lifetime.  

Sign Here AKA _______________Portal_________________

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

That was awesome!  Thanks for the laugh!

I know I've struggled in past jobs when new ownership came in. I've left jobs I liked because of it. Sometimes for better sometimes for worse.

It is a quandary that I'm sure most of us have faced. So with that I'm going to give these players who are still kids a pass. I know it hurts when we lose one and am happy when we get one and will leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess I'm seeing this the same as I do celebrating a touchdown. Give mt LMJ handing the ball to the Ref. The kids make big deals of Signing, so I guess transferring needs a show too. 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, Goutes18 said:

First of all get good advice before you make a rash decision - be thoughtful about short and long term implications

Be honest but don’t come across bitter or disingenuous (Dye).

Be succinct and don’t make it personal

Be respectful for the opportunity you had

Don’t burn a bridge with how you leave - even though leaving may burn the bridge - don’t make it worse

All sound advice. Appreciate the opportunity you had. After all,  that

school recruited you and offered a scholarship. You had the chance to compete. It's OK to move on to a less competitive college where you have the chance to play.  But the odds are you won't get to earn your living as a pro athlete so take advantage of the education and learn to do something that will give you a career. And enjoy your time as a college athlete and student. It's likely to be the easiest and most carefree time of your life. 

• Thumbs Up 1