Viking Duck

OBD Lands 2022 5-Star Josh Conerly Jr.!

11026249.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Seattle (Wash.) Rainier Beach 2022 offensive lineman Josh Conerly Jr. has made his decision and is headed to Oregon...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

YES!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is beyond big...

Oregon-v-Washington-2019-Tom-Corno-300x3
FISHDUCK.COM

When J.T. Tuimoloau, a five-star recruit out of the state of Washington, announced Oregon as one of his final four schools, the Ducks were hopeful they could...

Now in the 2022 recruiting class cycle Oregon turns it around and lands a 4 star and a 5 star! 

This is game changing huge from a recruiting standpoint. A big win for Lanning and the first major blow to Riley and USC. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I think he means Oregon Territory.

Conerly is the second offensive lineman in the state of Oregon that the Ducks landed in this class, following Puyallup (Wash.) four-star offensive lineman Dave Iuli.

• Haha 1

Don't forget the transfer from the sinking ship up north too. Well done DanLan and the team of recruiters! Welcome to the family Mr. Conerly!

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy Moly!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Very nice pickup.......and in spite of it all a very good year for the OL. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wooooah, color me genuinely shocked and pleasantly surprised. Coached Klemm earned his paycheck this month!

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow!

• Thumbs Up 1

Great Duck news!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow

I’m so happy right now.

I was in a post Mario Cristobal depression.

I didn’t think we’d ever recruit at that level again!!

glad I was wrong 

Go 🦆 s!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Step one to being a great coach….Recruit great players.

Congrats to all involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! 

I honestly did not think we had a shot once MC bolted and was starting to get discouraged, not winning the recruiting battles on offense.  It appeared as though all signs pointed to SC. 

Kudos to Coach Lanning and Klemm for working their magic and reeling in this whopper to close out this recruiting class strong.  And to think, Riley and MC have been courting and pressing hard after Conerly for over a year and were unable to land him. Then, along comes Coach Lanning and Klemm who strolled into the party late and they end up, stealing the prize away.  They only had 3 months to recruit him and really, only became a major player in the last week or month, according to Huffman.

• Thumbs Up 3

That moved us up from 25th to the 16th best class in the natiion in 2022.   Oh yes did I forget to mention the number 1 class in the Pac-12 AGAIN!!!

• Thumbs Up 5

This is NOT an OL recruit that Cristobal would have got.  Why?  Because by now the exodus of players leaving Oregon would have been HUGE if Mario stayed.  The vibe with the program would be 180 degrees south of where it is right now.  

That, and the fact that Adrian Klemm has Super Bowl rings on his fingers playing for the Patriots, and coaching in the NFL?  If you are an offensive lineman...how much BETTER coaching can you get than that?

And who hired Klemm?

This is a massive victory for Coach Dan Lanning, as this is WHY he went after Coach Klemm.

Riley, Debore and Cristobal?

You can get a sniff,

but Dan-Man will prevail.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

Is it possible that Coach Lanning uses him on defense too?  He's a beast on either side of the ball, in all trenches.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is NOT an OL recruit that Cristobal would have got.  Why?  Because by now the exodus of players leaving Oregon would have been HUGE if Mario stayed.  The vibe with the program would be 180 degrees south of where it is right now.  

It was apparent that MC lost control of the team last season, especially on offense. Most of us, see him as the worst coach to have on the field for game day.  Yet, guys like Cyrus Moss and former Duck, Logan Sagapolu are willing to follow him clear across the country to play for him at Miami.  It just baffles me how MC can have such a hold on these kids, when he has proven time and time again that he can't coach, only recruit.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:24 PM, David Marsh said:

This is beyond big...

Oregon-v-Washington-2019-Tom-Corno-300x3
FISHDUCK.COM

When J.T. Tuimoloau, a five-star recruit out of the state of Washington, announced Oregon as one of his final four schools...

Now in the 2022 recruiting class cycle Oregon turns it around and lands a 4 star and a 5 star! 

This is game changing huge from a recruiting standpoint. A big win for Lanning and the first major blow to Riley and USC. 

Those Fishduck writers are always wrong! 😄

• Haha 3

On 4/9/2022 at 12:08 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

Those Fishduck writers are always wrong! 😄

I kid.  Please don't ban me!

• Haha 2

It is FishDuck, if you please.

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This guy is a beast.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon vs. USC recruiting battles in the Lanning/Riley era: Oregon 1 - USC 0

As it should be and

Hopefully a sign of things to come!

Big time commitment for the Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just pissed we didn't have this elite recruiter last season, maybe we would have landed JTT!

• Thumbs Up 1

Who knows? JTT could hit the portal?

FishDuck?

More like CATCH Duck, in this case!

Funny. I told my grandson. When I heard Conerly was on the Oregon campus last weekend,  that I had a sneaky suspicion the Ducks had just scored a win over Riley's USC.

QUACKS ME UP!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 2

Big time recruiting victory for the Oregon coaching staff...........

Traveling on vacation this week in California has been grueling. $6.75 per gallon for fuel. $335 a night for hotels was taking the fun out of the trip.

But true to form the 8 grandkids in Cali brought joy to my heart and a smile to my face . .......

Reading that we stole a top recruit from Riley, MC and the always smelly butt sniffers was, well,

Not only priceless but icing on the cake!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 9

You can see, hear and feel the passion from Coach Lanning and his staff. I dont jump up and down anymore but if i could i would be joining in.

Well done Ducks staff. Coach em up and lets win the PAC 12 title.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just priceless. Every Duck fan should see this video. Thanks  Hayward for finding and posting this.

Charles was Absolutely Right about being positive about the Ducks and their future. 

Guys we just finished off the #4 top class in the PAC. What an awesome turn around from the Dec low. Now let's show the doubters and shock the country this coming season and then get the top recruiting class in 2023 and make it 5 straight.

In my life I never thought this possible.

What else is possible now?

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess Nemec was right, Conerly was FAR from being a lock to USC!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, Haywarduck said:

How the USC coaches room looked at the same time.

giphy_s.gif?cid=790b7611bb174bed92967684
GIPHY.COM

Discover & share this The Simpsons GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search...

• Haha 1

USC assistant coach: "Coach Riley, um, there's some important news!"

Coach Riley: "Shush! I told you all I am watching Tiger this weekend!"

• Haha 1

I'm pumped up for next season watching the coaches' victory celebration.  The chuckles before the announcement, gave away that Conerly probably has been a silent commit since his last unofficial visit.  You could hear and tell that the coaches were all in good spirits like they knew some good news was about to drop along with the mic, literally.  Chalk another one up for the Good Guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

riley underperformed at ok. 

the minute usc announced his hiring, i thought a) riley is a perfect match for usc, b)   riley is good for the pac, and c) both usc and riley are going to continue to underperform. 

win-win

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/9/2022 at 11:26 PM, DR Hilarius said:

the minute usc announced his hiring, i thought a) riley is a perfect match for usc, b)   riley is good for the pac, and c) both usc and riley are going to continue to underperform. 

win-win

In the playoff he underperformed. But he won the B12 year after year and went to the playoff 4 times in 8 seasons. And, he produced 2 Heisman winning QBs.

I very much disagree that he underperformed as the HC at OK.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In the playoff he underperformed. But he won the B12 year after year and went to the playoff 4 times in 8 seasons. And, he produced 2 Heisman winning QBs.

I think that the Big-12 in that time frame was really just a one team conference where Riley caught Oklahoma's upswing at the right time as Oklahoma was rising and the rest of the league sputtered. 

It was also the downfall of the Pac-12 during those playoff appearances for Oklahoma as Oregon declined and the rest of the league pretty much followed. 

It takes skill and ability to take control over a conference at the right time. Kelly did it in the PAC when USC fell due to some dubious pay of play stuff bedore it was legal... Oh yes, USC I went there. 

Clemson seized control over the ACC in a time when FSU bottomed out spectacularly... Thanks to Oregon's help in part. 

Riley took control of a solid program and took over the conference. Now, the big question is whether he can do it again?

Timing can play a major role in success... And I do think Riley has been a good coach at the very least but is he going to be able to prove whether he is a great coach? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, David Marsh said:

I think that the Big-12 in that time frame was really just a one team conference where Riley caught Oklahoma's upswing at the right time as Oklahoma was rising and the rest of the league sputtered. 

It was also the downfall of the Pac-12 during those playoff appearances for Oklahoma as Oregon declined and the rest of the league pretty much followed. 

It takes skill and ability to take control over a conference at the right time. Kelly did it in the PAC when USC fell due to some dubious pay of play stuff bedore it was legal... Oh yes, USC I went there. 

Clemson seized control over the ACC in a time when FSU bottomed out spectacularly... Thanks to Oregon's help in part. 

Riley took control of a solid program and took over the conference. Now, the big question is whether he can do it again?

Timing can play a major role in success... And I do think Riley has been a good coach at the very least but is he going to be able to prove whether he is a great coach? 

Therein lies the rub? Can he do it again?

Agree with all of the points you made.  Although I note that at OK,  Riley never had a roster ranked, if it was higher ranked, significantly higher than the Texas roster. During his time at OK the B12 was not blown out in a NY6 non-playoff Sugar Bowl, and the B12 representative usually defeated the Pac-12 opponent in the Alamo Bowl.

If Riley performs at SC like he did at OK it will be far from 'underperforming.'

On 4/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, DR Hilarius said:

win-win

In the interest of being honest, I can't talk down on Riley b/c had he ended up with us, I'd have been thrilled about it. While it's true he didn't topple the SEC, he did dominate the B12 which included a good Oklahoma State, Baylor, Iowa State and a dangerous West Virginia team. Given the talent and financial backing of the University of Spoiled Children (and our lackluster conference), it would be foolish in my estimation to overlook him...

On 4/11/2022 at 8:18 AM, Wrathis said:

In the interest of being honest, I can't talk down on Riley b/c had he ended up with us

Thank you for that honesty and in truth I think we all would have felt that way too if he were hired here. 

However, it is just the nature of coaches and teams as well. If Cristobal decided to stay we would be having some very interesting conversations right now but the truth of the matter there is that a large portion of the fan base didn't want to lose MC. 

Lanning is full of unknowns which means that as fans we have to recognize that this is Lanning's first HC job and that may come with some less than impressive results out the game. But most of our initial fears have worn off and he was not the splashy hire but he was at least so far a good hire.

Personally, I found myself wanting Kiffin for the job at the top of my list... Or at least the top of my list for splashy hires for Oregon. But I am now pretty happy with the Planning choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, DuckIt said:

Is it possible that Coach Lanning uses him on defense too?  He's a beast on either side of the ball, in all trenches.

I wondered this too watching some film. The guy is crazy athletic for his size. Playing on both sides of the ball is hard for seasoned vets, but give him a little time and maybe we'll see him in on goal line/short yardage, as a really big linebacker! That would be fun!

Remember Riley took over from Bob Stoops and Oklahoma was already dominating the Big 12. That they didn't drop off is a credit to him, but that is not the situation he has at USC. 

We'll have to see how he does. I'm sure they will be better, I'm not sure how much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:18 AM, Wrathis said:

In the interest of being honest, I can't talk down on Riley b/c had he ended up with us, I'd have been thrilled about it.

It seems to me, now, that Riley fits perfectly at USC and Lanning, the same at Oregon, switching them seems like it would be a mess. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, OhioDuck said:

Remember Riley took over from Bob Stoops and Oklahoma was already dominating the Big 12.

Exactly! Kind of like when Chip took over from Bellotti who had things progressing...

Chip has found it much harder to build a team from scratch. I feel Riley will as well.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

i don’t think anyone who saw OK lose to Baylor would be impressed w riley. not that baylor wasn’t good, but riley and team looked whiney and undisciplined. it reminded me of a lot of past usc teams. 

• Thumbs Up 1