Southwest Duck

Does Conerly Start This Season?

Two questions?

Do you guys think Conerly starts this season as a true freshman?

and

If he does start who out of our top 5 o line group gets dropped to second string?

Walk,  Sala, Forsyth, Jones, or Bass 

I certainly believe he will play, but I do not believe that he can beat out either Sala or Bass with all their experience.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

He may break into the two-deep but not starter. He needs to add at least 20lbs first and dragging out his recruitment to April prevented him from important experience with Spring workouts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Barring injury no, but definitely will contribute.

Agree with kirklandduc, 20+ lbs will help him. A lot of guys his size end up red shirting so they can get a full year of college level weight and conditioning. 

He has everything needed to be really, really good. Once he is bigger and stronger he'll be pushing to start.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'm with Charles on this one... He will absolutely play. 

But he is unlikely to start. Now, if something were to happen with anyone along the line injury wise then he could move right into a starting spot. 

That is the scenario that got KT into the starting lineup. He didn't start until there was an injury and the moves right into that spot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I think he'll play. I don't know if the "80 plays a game" will happen, but however many it is, OL rotation will be necessary, 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm with Charles on this one... He will absolutely play. 

But he is unlikely to start. Now, if something were to happen with anyone along the line injury wise then he could move right into a starting spot. 

That is the scenario that got KT into the starting lineup. He didn't start until there was an injury and the moves right into that spot. 

Have we ever had a year without injury to Olinemen? If he is this highly rated he will play and start when there is injury.

• Thumbs Up 2

He's a natural tackle and likely wouldn't start this year given the experience Oregon has already. A year of crosstraining at G and C and 20-30# more muscle will have him starting next year. I think he rotates in this year, but hopefully not to fill in for an injured starter. Big upside is that Klemm gets to coach him up in his system.

• Thumbs Up 1

O-line is a tuff position.  If he is Sewell  good it will come down to how well he learns the play book. Late start won't help him. If JC is a fast learner he will start. I don't see that happening early in the season tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, DanLduck said:

Have we ever had a year without injury to Olinemen? If he is this highly rated he will play and start when there is injury.

2019 I recall being pretty good... But... No there will always be some dinged up olinemen... That is a given in every season. 

I thought this was an interesting fact in an article from the Oregonian: at the moment, due to injury, transfer attrition, and several freshmen who will not be on campus until the fall practices start, the O line has two walk-ons playing with the second unit, and the third unit is entirely walk-ons.

I think this shows that there is definitely that potential for him to start if he comes to fall camp ready to go; even if he can't beat out one of the experienced men, he will be poised to step in when injuries inevitably happen.

The article:

STX7IAQNORHCNABA25WFUHN674.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Attrition along the offensive line prompted Oregon to have Powers-Johnson move back to practicing with the offense on Thursday.

• Thumbs Up 1

He postponed his commitment because he wanted to finish out his basketball season.

I'm more concerned about him picking up the playbook than packing on the weight.

• Thumbs Up 1

In agreement with many of the above. No, he won't start. But I think he will see playing time.

• Thumbs Up 1

He will definitely be needed to start next season. With a senior laden O-line Klemm has his work cut out getting next years O-line ready and keeping this years going. Fortunately he seems more than up to the task.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I certainly believe he will play, but I do not believe that he can beat out either Sala or Bass with all their experience.

Interesting. It has now been 7 years since SC signed a 5* OL guy.