Steven A

Lanning--'A Juice...And Excitement About Oregon Football'

10792366.JPG
247SPORTS.COM

The new Oregon staff had a massive day on the recruiting trail Friday as they build their foundation for success moving forward.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

That was definitely fun to read! While Riley was watching The Masters, Lanning was bringing in Conerly. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lanning has that IT factor. His confidence in himself is huge, rare. He is a BIG personality yet not arrogant.  This dudes special.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, you just sense that whenever you see him, especially when you see  him around the players. They seem to love him already, hopefully that leads to total buy in to what the coaches want to get done. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, OhioDuck said:

They seem to love him already, hopefully that leads to total buy in to what the coaches want to get done. 

Loyalty and buy in have really changed on the college football landscape. If a player doesn't buy into the program anymore they leave... Or a coach may try and push them out the door. 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, 30Duck said:

That was definitely fun to read! While Riley was watching The Masters, Lanning was bringing in Conerly. 

LOL funny. Thanks Man.

Riley has been taking a lot of heat on OBD. But?

In his 5 years at OK, FBS CFB teams averaged 29 points a game; OK averaged 43.6 points a game. And over this period of time, Riley played against more top 50 Ds than did Saban and Alabama.

Riley produced 2 Heisman winning QBs at OK. He never had the same QB finish with the most passing yards in consecutive seasons. He plugged QBs in, they played and produced points.

Riley is 16-6 vs the AP top 25. He never lost more than 2 games a season in his 5 seasons at OK. This puts him in elite company, company that does not include Saban at Bama, Shaw at Stanford and Smart at Georgia.

Adding transfers from the portal, Riley brought in the 10th ranked class to SC in this recruiting cycle. (Of course losing Conerly was a big whiff and huge for Dan Lanning. SC has not recruited a 5* OL guy in the last 7 years!)

Will he turn SC around? Remains to be seen of course. But he does come with bona fides that no other coach in the Pac-12 has. He certainly should not be feared but IMO, he should be respected.

But and not being the least bit sarcastic, keep the jokes coming; priceless!

• Thumbs Up 4

No quarrel with Riley's offensive credentials. I do question his defensive acumen and would bet that the Ducks will have the better defense next year and probably for years to come. Here is something to consider: For all the success that Riley has had, he has not won a playoff game, similar to Brian Kelly at Notre Dame (now LSU). So while both guys are darn good football coaches, I'd hesitate to place either of these 100 million+ coaches in the elite category.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In his 5 years at OK

So, he takes over Stoops recruits and does well.  His cupboard isn't quite the same at sc, but he does bring his rep.

Hopefully Lanning can duplicate that success with Cristbal's (again leaving out the "o") recruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:21 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

No quarrel with Riley's offensive credentials. I do question his defensive acumen and would bet that the Ducks will have the better defense next year and probably for years to come. Here is something to consider: For all the success that Riley has had, he has not won a playoff game, similar to Brian Kelly at Notre Dame (now LSU). So while both guys are darn good football coaches, I'd hesitate to place either of these 100 million+ coaches in the elite category.

To be elite, you have to win a championship. (But winning a championship does not make guys like Gene Chizik and Larry Coker anywhere close to elite.)

Grinch was up and then down at OK. He did well as the DC for Leach, not an easy task in the Pac-12. But what does he have to work with at SC? I think Riley will need two years of solid recruiting and portal picking before SC is a legit Natty threat.

But I also think you'd best be able to put up plenty of points vs SC, starting in 2022, if you are going to defeat the Trojans. The D is a mess. But the run game averaged 4.4 yards per run last season and the OL only gave up 18 sacks playing in front of a far less mobile QB than Caleb Williams. Four OL starters are back and Riley picked up an accomplished OL guy from UVA out of the portal.

Drake London is gone. But the overall talent at the skill positions has significantly improved.

On paper, I see SC having the best O in the conference in 2022. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

To be elite, you have to win a championship. (But winning a championship does not make guys like Gene Chizik and Larry Coker anywhere close to elite.)

Grinch was up and then down at OK. He did well as the DC for Leach, not an easy task in the Pac-12. But what does he have to work with at SC? I think Riley will need two years of solid recruiting and portal picking before SC is a legit Natty threat.

But I also think you'd best be able to put up plenty of points vs SC, starting in 2022, if you are going to defeat the Trojans. The D is a mess. But the run game averaged 4.4 yards per run last season and the OL only gave up 18 sacks playing in front of a far less mobile QB than Caleb Williams. Four OL starters are back and Riley picked up an accomplished OL guy from UVA out of the portal.

Drake London is gone. But the overall talent at the skill positions has significantly improved.

On paper, I see SC having the best O in the conference in 2022. 

If everyone stays healthy this is a fair estimate of their offensive ability this season. However, no team ever stays healthy and if Williams has to run as much as I expect, the depth on the OL and QB will likely rear it's head mid-season.  I'd have concerns about QB and OL depth which could well impact them down the road. They ware woefully thin beyond the starters and October is when their schedule amps up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:
On 4/11/2022 at 10:21 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

All elite coaches have championships, but all coaches with championships aren't elite.

Wicked Green....welcome to the forum and DO post your thoughts often!  And....love your handle!

Could that be a good name for the new Oregon Defense?   😲

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

GangGreen to WickedGreen. I like it to.