Steven A

Former Oregon Ducks OL Doug Brenner Adds $100M Damages Claim to Lawsuit Against NCAA

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0122%2Fr173428_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Former Oregon OL Doug Brenner added a $100M punitive damages claim to his lawsuit against the NCAA.

$100M here, a $100M there, pretty soon it all adds up. Everett Dickson, kind of.

As much as I hate seeing UofO as a codefendant, I hope Mr Brenner wins.  The injury that the snake’s workouts caused were inexcusable.

I don't remember Doug Brenner.  Did he ever play for the Ducks, where was he from?

On 4/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, mrspenney said:

I don't remember Doug Brenner.  Did he ever play for the Ducks, where was he from?

Brenner is often villianizes by some fans as one of the factors that lost us that horrible 2016-17 Alamo bowl. In that game both VA and the starting center (can't remember the name but Notre Dame transfer) went out with injuries. 

Brenner was brought in as the back up center and Lockie was brought on as the back up QB. Between a sharp decline in QB play and low snaps the offense didn't do anything in the second half. 

However, with all that said I do think Brenner deserves to win the case and at least some money. The work outs that caused his long term health issues were 100% avoidable and pretty much every player who was around the program at the time has said those work outs were designed to get some athletes to leave the program. 

That sort of behavior is a dark mark on Oregon's football history but the message needs to be sent that that sort of behavior is unacceptable for any coach in the NCAA... Regardless of how toothless the NCAA is these days. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Brenner was a UO o-lineman. 3☆ in state kid from Jesuit. Was academic all Pac12 a couple of years. Mainly a backup and rotational player. Part of the second half breakdown of the infamous Alamo Bowl where he replaced the injured starting center and repeatedly snapped the ball at Jeff Lockie's (who had replaced the injured Vernon Adams) ankles. 

That said, I agree with David that I would like to see them win the case and get some financial accommodation as the injuries they sustained were significant and were preventable. Never would have happened had Coach Rad still been in charge.