30Duck

CJ Verdell Will Return In 2021

Verdell wanted to rush for 1000 yards every season, even the shortened 2020. In the first two games he ran for 100 yards against Stanford and Washington State. But the rest of the season didn't go as planned.

See the source image

• Like 1

Glad to see!

Mr. FishDuck

CJ’s a warrior. I hope he can be healthy and productive finishing with a record year. The competition in the RB room is getting deeper.

Absolutely Love CJ but the Ducks need new backs, faster, bigger backs, backs with breakaway speed. Backs with hard pounding between the tackle durability and strength. 

Same goes at receiver. The seniors  returning are not very big and not exceptionally fast. It matters. 

I Love them, their contributions their hard work, heart, and effort but football is also about physics and when performance is otherwise equal bigger stronger and faster usually wins. Speed kills in college. 

I actually hope they each get beat out for significant playing time this year.

Not because I don’t like them but because to win a natty you need size and speed at WR and a punishing running back for the 4th quarter.

Physics matters. And when you compare the Ducks to the best teams our skill talent is slower shorter and not always dominant. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

"I actually hope they each get beat out for significant playing time this year."

You have the best "Handle" or Posting Name ever on the forum?  We love it...

I am glad they are back because we need that experience at the beginning of the season, but I too hope the new young-guns coming in break into their playing time.

Johnny Johnson and the Ducks have to go to Texas to play LSU and Auburn_Melissa Macatee.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

The running back room dynamic is very interesting. There are also some predictions that Oregon is going to pick up Cardwell (he announces Monday). Cardwell looks more like the type of running back Oregon has had in the past and a better fit for the vision at Oregon. 

The running back room on the whole is going to be very crowded this year. 

Dye will see the field even if they need to make him into more of a full time receiver. Dye has proven he can catch the ball and make some incredible plays. 

Verdell has shown he can do all the tasks required of a running back in the Oregon offense... Running, catching, and blocking... But he just isn't big enough. If he is going to have an NFL future he will probably need to move to receiver.

With all that said... There is a lot of talent in the receiver room as well. So even trying to get Dye and Verdell on the field as receivers may be difficult. Especially with Redd and Johnson returning for another year. 

This is a very good problem for the coaches to have. 

• Like 1

"This is a very good problem for the coaches to have."

Amen to that brother! 

Good to see the seniors coming back for one more year. I think they recognize that while they may be on the fringe of NFL ready, another year will give them a better chance. Hopefully they all take advantage of the sure thing: a better education heading into the future. Don't just take basket weaving men, take something that will help your future earning power.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the ceiling concept for a players ability. I think we have seen the ceiling on some of these players, and we may see some players come in with more potential.

These seniors and experienced players will, can play a role. They can show these young kids what it takes to get yourself to heights of their potential. The bar needs to be raised for every player who wants to see the field. 

One note is Barner rushed for 1700 yds 2013, two years later, 2014, Royce came on, and rushed for almost 1400 yds. The year between those, 2013, Byron Marshall rushed for 1,000 yds. He then became a 1,000 yd. receiver in 2014. 

Who is going to become Byron Marshall and get big receiving yds? More importantly who is going to become the Royce? Who is going to come in and take over the RB position and run for substantial yds?

I tend to think we are in this type of scenario, where Byron did a very serviceable job at RB, but the talent coming in may take over. It will be fun to watch!

If Byron Cardwell commits, he's got the type of frame to bulk up to 220 lbs and be that big powerback we need.  

4 minutes ago, kirklandduck said:

If Byron Cardwell commits, he's got the type of frame to bulk up to 220 lbs and be that big powerback we need. 

And there just might be an article about Cardwell on Monday!  👍 🏈 🦆

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

And there just might be an article about Cardwell on Monday!  👍 🏈 🦆

And I'll be happy to read it!  

5 hours ago, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Absolutely Love CJ but the Ducks need new backs, faster, bigger backs, backs with breakaway speed. Backs with hard pounding between the tackle durability and strength. 

Same goes at receiver. The seniors  returning are not very big and not exceptionally fast. It matters. 

I Love them, their contributions their hard work, heart, and effort but football is also about physics and when performance is otherwise equal bigger stronger and faster usually wins. Speed kills in college. 

I actually hope they each get beat out for significant playing time this year.

Not because I don’t like them but because to win a natty you need size and speed at WR and a punishing running back for the 4th quarter.

Physics matters. And when you compare the Ducks to the best teams our skill talent is slower shorter and not always dominant. 

Well said, I totally agree.