30Duck

USC: Oregon Touted 'SEC Mindset' to Get Conerly

You know, they might be onto something, or maybe Matt Z has been checking out the Forum.

USATSI_17871018.jpg?w=640
TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It’s no accident Oregon is leaning into an “SEC of the West” identity while Lincoln Riley is at #USC. The Ducks clearly have a recruiting...

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Riley's pitch of come watch golf with me in my bling palace needs a little work.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

i have to say i am surprised by the self-awareness in that article. they actually acknowledged riley left bc he didn’t want to coach in the sec. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how everyone "knows" why Conerly made his decision (just like there are many experts on why every kid made his decision).  This article claims it was negative recruiting against Riley as not being tough enough for the SEC.  Other articles claimed he was given more NIL money.  And I'm sure others out there think they have secret knowledge of other reasons.

Unless we hear it from someone truly in the know, like Conerly or his family, I tend to discount all of these claims.  Maybe they're entirely true.  Maybe they're half true.  Or maybe someone is simply trying to read tea leaves, make assumptions, or jump to conclusions.  Maybe Oregon coaches made some of those claims and Conerly didn't agree with them or didn't take them into account but chose the Ducks for other reasons.

Maybe he prefers staying closer to home...didn't feel entirely comfortable in LA...felt Oregon would give him a better shot at being a high draft pick...felt SC and UW would spend his first season or two of college ball with losing records...really likes a girl in Eugene...thinks Oregon offers a major that really interests him...was given a big bag of cash by a booster.

I mean, do we really think anyone but Conerly and a few people close to him fully understand why he made the decision he did?  Do we really think some writer for Trojans Wire or WashingtonUsedToBeAGoodTeam.com or whatever it is has some inside scoop on why Conerly made his decision?

Heck, I'll bet in many cases even the kid himself doesn't fully understand why he chose Oregon or Stanford or whatever--he went with a gut feeling.  Yet writers will claim all sorts of things or cite "unnamed sources."

I miss actual journalism.

• Thumbs Up 8

Hmm, there must be something wrong with Riley if Oregon gets a 5° over U$C. I have a different take. Kids want to go to schools that win. They are being recruited for Football. Also, they want to go to a good school that offers what they want to major in. Being relatively close, a 4 hr drive, makes it massively convenient to visit on GameDay or go home for mommas cooking.

It makes it easier for your siblings to visit as well. I'm not saying that I know anything, I'm simply saying that there is more than just one major reason that goes into a Colossal decision made by these kids. Love what Lanning and Co. is doing in convincing these kids to sign up with 'the University of Oregon!'

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, 1Funduck said:

Hmm, there must be something wrong with Riley if Oregon gets a 5° over U$C. I have a different take. Kids want to go to schools that win. They are being recruited for Football. Also, they want to go to a good school that offers what they want to major in. Being relatively close, a 4 hr drive, makes it massively convenient to visit on GameDay or go home for mommas cooking.

It makes it easier for your siblings to visit as well. I'm not saying that I know anything, I'm simply saying that there is more than just one major reason that goes into a Colossal decision made by these kids. Love what Lanning and Co. is doing in convincing these kids to sign up with 'the University of Oregon!'

I agree with most of this: When speaking of a blue-chip recruit, I can imagine they want several things. Undoubtedly they want to play and they want to win. I doubt the degree aspect as much b/c in reality I think it was 30% of these guys go to the NFL. (it was in a previous post and I'm trying to pull that from memory) I'd have to imagine "scenery" plays a part, as does NIL dollars.

I don't at all doubt that proximity to home also played a major part in this also. Again, it's all speculation but I doubt the field of study matters as much when $$$, "scenery" and NFL aspirations are the driving ambition.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:11 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I love how everyone "knows" why Conerly made his decision (just like there are many experts on why every kid made his decision).  This article claims it was negative recruiting against Riley as not being tough enough for the SEC.  Other articles claimed he was given more NIL money.  And I'm sure others out there think they have secret knowledge of other reasons.

Unless we hear it from someone truly in the know, like Conerly or his family, I tend to discount all of these claims.  Maybe they're entirely true.  Maybe they're half true.  Or maybe someone is simply trying to read tea leaves, make assumptions, or jump to conclusions.  Maybe Oregon coaches made some of those claims and Conerly didn't agree with them or didn't take them into account but chose the Ducks for other reasons.

Maybe he prefers staying closer to home...didn't feel entirely comfortable in LA...felt Oregon would give him a better shot at being a high draft pick...felt SC and UW would spend his first season or two of college ball with losing records...really likes a girl in Eugene...thinks Oregon offers a major that really interests him...was given a big bag of cash by a booster.

I mean, do we really think anyone but Conerly and a few people close to him fully understand why he made the decision he did?  Do we really think some writer for Trojans Wire or WashingtonUsedToBeAGoodTeam.com or whatever it is has some inside scoop on why Conerly made his decision?

Heck, I'll bet in many cases even the kid himself doesn't fully understand why he chose Oregon or Stanford or whatever--he went with a gut feeling.  Yet writers will claim all sorts of things or cite "unnamed sources."

I miss actual journalism.

Negative Events With Spin. Some guy claimed Conerly was NIL paid $1.2M to commit to Oregon. This un-social media is off the rails.

Wah wah wah