Charles Fischer

Wow! Georgia Fans--About Lanning

Below is a quote from a Georgia fan answering me on a Georgia forum...

I read your article asking if Dan Lanning is the next Saban? We Dawgs think that he is, and we lamented that he would be ready to be a head coach before Kirby retired--as that means we lose him...as we did.

We've lost coaches (Pruitt, Chaney, Hankton) we were glad to see go, and others that were so good, we hated losing them but appreciate them so much the overwhelming sentiment is support in their new role. (Lanning). 

Oregon got an extremely good coach. We are not surprised Lanning became a head coach, we are surprised Oregon was smarter then every other NCAA program to get him. 

His first season may not be a W/L success, it takes a while to get there, but Oregon has one of the finest coaches in football.

Whew! Can you get praise much better than that?

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 14
  • Like 4

Mr. FishDuck

I am a fan and will continue to pump the sunshine until DL throws some shade on it himself. I will know pretty quickly whether he can coach game time or not. Everything up to this point has been great. It's good to be a Duck fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another example of how great the Georgia fans have been about Lanning being the new coach at Oregon. Throughout the process, unlike the noise coming from Oklahoma concerning Riley, Georgia fans are wishing Lanning well and are doing their part in setting up the game between Oregon and Georgia to open the season, to be one that both fanbases can be excited about. 

• Thumbs Up 5

But THIS guy has got magic beans Hollywood sprinkles and LA love dust. How could Lanning ever top this ? 

90ECFB66-8D42-411D-BDC5-EF7B4454B53F.jpeg

• Haha 13

I think this would be great moment to give a shout out to the great UGA fans out there giving props to Lanning after he moved on to the Ducks. Instead of being resentful, they are cheering him on in his new coaching gig. This is what happens when high character people go about doing things the right way.

He could have jumped ship as soon as the ink was dry on his UO contract but he did the right and very difficult thing of staying until the championship was won making both fan bases proud. I wish UGA and their fans good luck in defending their title and look forward to a great game next year. No matter what the outcome the Dawgs will now be my new non Duck favorite team.

And no I'm not talking about those fuskies!

• Thumbs Up 11

On 4/14/2022 at 10:00 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

But THIS guy has got magic beans Hollywood sprinkles and LA love dust. How could Lanning ever top this ? 

90ECFB66-8D42-411D-BDC5-EF7B4454B53F.jpeg

Jeez! Talk about retinal burn... I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to "un-see" that.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I read your article asking if Dan Lanning is the next Saban? We Dawgs think that he is, and we lamented that he would be ready to be a head coach before Kirby retired--as that means we lose him...as we did.

We've lost coaches (Pruitt, Chaney, Hankton) we were glad to see go, and others that were so good, we hated losing them but appreciate them so much the overwhelming sentiment is support in their new role. (Lanning). 

Oregon got an extremely good coach. We are not surprised Lanning became a head coach, we are surprised Oregon was smarter then every other NCAA program to get him. 

His first season may not be a W/L success, it takes a while to get there, but Oregon has one of the finest coaches in football.

I agree with the article you wrote on this and with the Bulldog fans.  Really liking what I am seeing with this coaching staff and DL himself.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think this would be great moment to give a shout out to the great UGA fans out there giving props to Lanning after he moved on to the Ducks.

In the process of gathering information about Lanning from them for my six-article series....they have been nothing-but-classy through the whole process.  These are like Tennessee SEC fans, not LSU SEC fans, and I believe we will have fun trading information about our teams over the summer.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

I want to know who doesn't like Dan Lanning? Who doesn't respect his football IQ? What recruit said I would never play for this guy? Is there anyone out there who doesn't like the guy?

Seriously, what coach said no I am not going to leave the NFL and coach for you in a smallish town in Oregon? It seems like every recruit he contacts at least puts him on their list. I haven't heard anyone say he was too young, too inexperienced to be the DC at Georgia.

This seems to also confirm he hasn't reached his level of incompetence. It would seem he hasn't even come close to that level when no one seems to see him faltering in his abilities, nor, more importantly does anyone question his integrity. I almost expect him to hit a phone booth and head off to solve even more difficult problems in his time away from the program and family.

Oh yea, Joey wasn't buying Dan when they first met, I wonder what Joey is saying now?

FLc0fWPUcAMYC55.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

His first season may not be a W/L success

This is the only point I am going to disagree with.  The cupboard is not bare, especially on the D side.  The only thing that may bring us down is injuries.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/14/2022 at 12:15 PM, Haywarduck said:

Oh yeah, Joey wasn't buying Dan when they first met, I wonder what Joey is saying now?

As I wrote before....some of our former players Are Not On the Fans Team at all.  At some point--Joey would be advised to "shut-it" before his legacy with us completely goes down the drain.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/14/2022 at 12:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As I wrote before....some of our former players Are Not On the Fans Team at all.  At some point--Joey would be advised to "shut-it" before his legacy with us completely goes down the drain.

Some of the former players were on the keep it in the family side of things. Agree they came off as looking like they were from a part of the country where you keep your sisters close and your cousins closer.

I do wonder where they sit now that he is reaching out to alumni and former players. I can't see Joey legacy ever going completely down the drain, by the way, the guy is, and always will be, an Oregon Legend.

• Thumbs Up 2

I heard an interview with Joey and the letter.  After hear the interview, I think how the letter came across on the message boards, wasn't how he was writing it to be.  He was never against Dan Lanning or any other outside coach to be hired.  His main concern was the recent revolving doors of head coaches.  The letter was written before Lanning was hired.

I haven't seen one article or quote from Joey specifically mentioning not wanting Lanning.

Other than the letter what has Joey done to not be on board with Lanning?

• Thumbs Up 4

Nice endorsement from Georgia.

The Georgia fans might not have been quite as gracious if he left them to go coach at Georgia Tech or Auburn…lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Really nice words of praise from the Georgia fans. Coach Lanning earned their praise by his actions. As we know, actions speak louder than words. Coach Lanning earned his shot as a head coach and Georgia fans recognized that fact.

Now Coach Lanning gets to cut his teeth as the Oregon Ducks head coach. Many on this forum expect a learning curve for Coach Lanning and his staff. That is reasonable and i hope Duck fans appreciate that ups and downs will occur.  Coach Saban didnt win Nattys his first 5 years as a head coach. Check out his record at MSU and first season at Bama.

IMHO Coach is laying the foundation and prepping this talented roster to learn, grow and improve daily. This preparation will serve the team handily. Whether they start up (3-1) or down (1-3) the roster will be prepared by the staff to handle it.

Handling success is just as important as handling adversity. How Coach Lanning handles that will be part of his journey as a head coach. Just as Coach Saban did. The difference is that Coach Saban has more yesterdays on his resume than tomorrows.

Arent you excited to be part of Coach Lanning's coaching tomorrows? Lets enjoy the journey.

• Thumbs Up 5

The Georgia fans also seem to see Coach Lanning as kind of a Chip Kelly type coach. A coach they thought might have something special just below the head coach. We were fortunate to land him before he took over somewhere else.

I still remember Bellotti stepping away when he still had plenty left in the tank, but saw the writing on the wall. It seems we lost our way after the ascension of Chip Kelly. I suppose even Chip Kelly wasn't the whole package, Lanning seems to be. At least let's hope he is! 

One thing which seems to be in Coach Lanning's favor is he doesn't have the arrogance of CK. Lanning seems to be as humble and curious as the day he started coaching. That will serve him well as he moves through these first few years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder what his parents have to say about him. That would be interesting.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:12 AM, Just Ducky said:

I wonder what his parents have to say about him. That would be interesting.

how-could-anyone-not-like-you-seinfeld.gif

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, 30Duck said:

Another example of how great the Georgia fans have been about Lanning being the new coach at Oregon. Throughout the process, unlike the noise coming from Oklahoma concerning Riley, Georgia fans are wishing Lanning well and are doing their part in setting up the game between Oregon and Georgia to open the season, to be one that both fanbases can be excited about. 

I wonder if the good will expressed by the Georgia fans will diminish a bit should the Ducks trip up the Bulldogs in Atlanta.😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:12 AM, Mudslide said:

I wonder if the good will expressed by the Georgia fans will diminish a bit should the Ducks trip up the Bulldogs in Atlanta.

I hope it would be, "Okay, see you in the Natty!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:03 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IMHO Coach is laying the foundation and prepping this talented roster to learn, grow and improve daily. This preparation will serve the team handily. Whether they start up (3-1) or down (1-3) the roster will be prepared by the staff to handle it.

Kool Aide Mike won't admit it, but analyst "wanna be" Mike West will:. 

OBD are a work in progress.  Albeit a very talented group.  We really won't see results until fall given our depleted DL group hasn't worked much in the new defensive scheme 

I truly hope the players go all out this summer.  Whatever work they put in will determine how good they are this fall.  

There is a framework Lanning can put into place (under NCAA rules) to coach them up if they're serious enough to put in the work.

Kool Aide Mike hopes the players shoot for the moon. That the players go into summer with the mindset they can beat UGA.  It doesn't matter if the win or lose, it's how they play in that game.  

Junk yard dog? Wild beast? Or dear in the headlights or somewhere in between?  If Lanning and staff can instill ferocity only Chip's 2010 team demonstrated, this team will do wonders. 

Kool Aide Mike just threw a Hail Mary.  Let's hope OBD catch that pass. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Something that never looks better on your permanent record Chip.

Great stuff. Great looking future.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, Steven A said:

This is the only point I am going to disagree with.  The cupboard is not bare, especially on the D side.  The only thing that may bring us down is injuries.

Man, it's tough seeing all of the DL starters plus Flowe dinged up. Hopefully, these guys will all be good come the 1st game?

Lots of great guys on the roster but have to stay healthier than last season. 

I like Lanning holding these guys except for learning the new schemes, out of spring ball contact. 

Need all hands on deck come 9/3.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jon Joseph

@Charles Fischer

@30Duck

and others,

Just a reminder to you Duck fans UGA's spring game is on espn2 tomorrow at 1PM eastern, 10AM pacific.  Spring games are a bit vanilla but I thought you may want to tune in or rewatch online to "do a little scouting".  Cheers.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, amcdawg said:

@Jon Joseph

@Charles Fischer

@30Duck

and others,

Just a reminder to you Duck fans UGA's spring game is on espn2 tomorrow at 1PM eastern, 10AM pacific.  Spring games are a bit vanilla but I thought you may want to tune in or rewatch online to "do a little scouting".  Cheers.

I've got the game ready to tape as I play even more bad golf. Thank you.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I've got the game ready to tape as I play even more bad golf. Thank you.

I hear you. I’m so bad I have to get my ball retriever re-gripped after every round.

• Haha 2

On 4/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mudslide said:

I wonder if the good will expressed by the Georgia fans will diminish a bit should the Ducks trip up the Bulldogs in Atlanta.😉

It will be. We love Lanning for what he meant to the program. We would hate the loss but the CFP trophy he helped us get will keep us warm at night

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

In replying to Drake's comment  above, I am sure that I speak for the vast majority of Georgia fans in wishing Dan Lanning success wherever  he might have landed, even at GA Tech or  Auburn. The reaction to the successes at former assistants Sam Pittman (Arkansas) and  Shane  Beamer (South Carolina). have been very favorable.

I root for  both coaches except on the Saturdays in which they take on the Dawgs. Knowing what I know about Nick Saban, who was called Satan by some of the more volatile posters on the bulldawg blogs, I suspect that he takes great pride on the achievements of his many successful assistants, two of whom (Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart) have won their own Nattys.

On September 3, Kirby will be rooting for a strong showing by your Ducks, even though he will be doing all he can to beat them while the teams are between the lines. Great coaches are wired like that.

• Thumbs Up 5