30Duck

Dont'e Thornton: Oregon's Offense will be 'Very Explosive!'

Don't you just smile every time you see or hear what Oregon's offense is going to be like next season?

USATSI_16783971.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With a new OC, new QB, and explosive young wide receivers, fans are being encouraged to get excited about Oregon’s new offense.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Man, I wish I could take one quote, and spin a short article out of it like that!  But it is an exciting quote, and one that helps assure us Greybeard-age fans that explosion plays will return to Autzen.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Explosion on offense + havoc on defense = happy fans in the stands.

• Thumbs Up 8

On 4/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I wish I could take one quote, and spin a short article out of it like that!

Oh you could.... and it will get you more clicks!

But, thank you for putting a bit more effort into your articles. Substance over quantity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how the article ends, return the Ducks’ offense to its explosive roots, and give Oregon fans something to get excited about on Saturday afternoons this fall.

Oregon explosion plays defined:

• Thumbs Up 1

Great to hear the positive talk from one of the young receivers, but, as grandma used to say, "the proof is in the pudding." I hope he's right, but we'll have to see come next fall. 

I'm not really worried at all about the loss of the veteran group of receivers (Johnson, Redd, and Williams). They all developed into a pretty reliable group, and I can see why they were starters; However, I think the young guys we have now (Franklin, Thornton, Hutson, McGee and Lowe) have greater upside potential. And Franklin and Hutson got quite a bit of playing time last year, so it's not like they're unproven.

Certainly, Thornton had some huge plays in his limited playing time. So, when you combine that (in your mind's eye, anyway) with improved quarterback play this year and a more wide-open playbook, there's plenty of room for optimism.  In fact, I'm currently looking around for that "fast forward" button to get us quickly to September.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

I love how the article ends, return the Ducks’ offense to its explosive roots, and give Oregon fans something to get excited about on Saturday afternoons this fall.

Oh, 

DAT was pure dominant explosive plays.  I'll take the just plain explosive crew the 2010 set of WRs/TEs were.  And their eye of the tiger mindset.

See, we already have a dominant Oregon team that set the bar. The team that shattered the narrative Oregon can't play with the elite.

That team was good enough to reach all eight playoff rounds.  Good enough to reach the finals just about every year.  And they weren't the most talented any of those years.

But they had "it".  The inner drive, the lunch pail work ethic, the poise, the pride, the juice.  

You can't fake what the 2010 Oregon Ducks had.  You have it, or you don't.  

What truly generates explosive plays and dominant defenses? Thermonuclear, weapon of mass destruction attitude.  An inner force that explodes outward and won't be stopped.  

Again, Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell show it already.  The rest of the team need only produce thier versions of that willpower. 

And yes, DAT had inner fire like that.  If you've ever seen DAT's high school highlights, you'd know he was far more than a fast dude. And that is why he was a legit five star high school prospect. 

Utah kicked our butts last year because they had it.  Brooks' 1994  crew went to the Rose  Bowl because they had it.  

I could babble another fifteen years about it, but I hope to see it this year.  

I think DL alludes to it every day.  

Now Thornton has produced billboard material.  Let's hope DL put it on our billboard too, so the team can live up to it. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, Mike West said:

Oh, 

"it".    You have it, or you don't.  

Well done, you never said the 'c' word but covered 'it' all.

• Thumbs Up 1

All I can say is wait and see. College football players have the greatest impact and transformation from their freshmen year to their sophomore year. That is when you'll see what kind of potential they have. 

I see we are going to shock the naysayers. Bring it on, we will be ready!

• Thumbs Up 3

The system and scheme in CFB so matter. The prospect of bringing back the Brand is super exciting.

I just hope Flowe will be day 1 good to go? And the QB that wins the competition is far more than a game manager.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

DAT was a "Visionary"... He saw holes most running backs wouldn't (or couldn't) recognize.