Charles Fischer

Canzano: Pac-12 Officiating Under a Spring Football Microscope

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

Oregon State’s spring football game was held on Saturday at Reser Stadium.

CORVALLIS — I was minding my business on Saturday, watching Oregon State’s spring football game from the end zone at Reser Stadium, when an interesting thing happened. David Coleman, the Pac-12 Conference’s Vice President of officiating, waved me over from his position near a corner pylon.

Coleman is a pleasant guy. He’s been in charge of the conference’s officials for seven years. But it struck me as we talked that the former United States Army officer is facing a critical season as the supervisor of Pac-12 officiating.

A report surfaced late in 2020 revealing that Coleman’s on-field experience as a game official was limited to two major college football games. The conference is now led by George Kliavkoff, a commissioner with fresh ideas. And a Pac-12 source told me there’s a special emphasis this spring on training and improving the football officials.

Coleman reports to Merton Hanks, the Pac-12’s supervisor of football. Hanks told me near the end of last season that he thought the officials had a good year and said, “Officiating is a tough job and we can never rest on our laurels.”

None of the Pac-12 football teams qualified for the College Football Playoff invitational last season. The bowl teams went 0-5 and the Pac-12 had its worst non-conference performance in football since 1983.

Is it possible the officiating was improved amid all that carnage?

It sort of felt that way. Or maybe we were all just happy to be back inside stadiums. But certainly what was absent last season were glaring and embarrassing in-game officiating errors that require the Pac-12 to issue a public statement.

A lot of us know the 2018 season was a disaster for the conference officials. A well-documented instant-replay scandal involving former executive Woodie Dixon rocked public confidence in the officiating. The mess prompted the conference to introduce new protocols and commission an independent review.

In 2019, the Pac-12 had three occasions in which it had to issue public statements related to large-scale officiating miscues. In 2020, that happened only once.

Last season?

Zero.

On Saturday, Coleman wore a blue “Pac-12” trucker-style baseball cap to the Beavers’ spring game. He observed from a vantage point near the corner of the end zone. Jack Folliard, a long-time Pac-12 referee and prominent retired trial lawyer in Oregon, was present and in street clothes. Folliard held a notepad and pen and jotted down notes.

The crew working OSU’s scrimmage warmed up and treated it as if it were a live, regular-season football game. Afterward, the officials walked off the field together. As they passed by, one of them looked up, smiled and said, “Be nice to us.”

I’m trying.

Seeing the officials work the scrimmage helps. Because it’s evident that the football players weren’t the only ones getting reps on Saturday. At one point, for example, a Beavers’ tight end caught what appeared to be a touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone.

The offense celebrated.

The sideline erupted.

The closest official blew his whistle, came sprinting in, and waved off the catch — incomplete. He ruled the ball was juggled as the tight end went out of bounds. Players complained. The crowd jeered. But I was a few feet away, and despite the protests, it sure looked like the official got it right.

The Pac-12’s training program for officials includes video review, detailed reports and analysis after each game and weekly evaluation meetings with officials. Also, it includes offseason training sessions and spring scrimmages.

Said Hanks: “We are constantly training our officials.”

What the conference has to get real about, though, is how vital it is to retain the best officials. Too often in recent years the Pac-12 lost top officials to other conferences. That can’t happen if the conference wants to be at its best on the field.

Coleman’s predecessor, Tony Corrente, quit because of chronic meddling from former commissioner Larry Scott and Dixon, per a source. Said one person with knowledge: “Those two weren’t qualified to weigh in but never let it stop them.”

Kliavkoff won’t make that mistake.

Mr. FishDuck

So we are supposed to feel sorry for the incompetence that has hurt us so many times?  Did you watch the Oregon-Stanford game last fall John?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

Game pacing is something that must be improved upon as much as anything else. So many games last year were super slow because of the constant replays and discussions. 

I get not every call is going to be right and I can live with that but as long as the game's pacing is not unduely impacted and calls are consistent then the reffing will improve. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

How come it seems we get the Larry, Moe and Curly crew every time we play the tree stumps?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/16/2022 at 10:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So we are supposed to feel sorry for the incompetence that has hurt us so many times?  Did you watch the Oregon-Stanford game last fall John?

Other than going remote with HQ, what has GK done? The person overseeing the referees is an ex military officer and not a long time college referee?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pac-12 officiating doesn't need a microscope to see the problems, but some decent glasses, and average processing speed. I find it interesting that the article is proud of not issuing a statement admitting they made a mistake. Just because you didn't admit to a mistake doesn't mean you didn't make one or more!

It is astounding that a guy has been in charge of officiating for the past 7 years, and still has his job. I think it is telling the refs said, 'be nice to us' as they walked off the field. How would it be perceived if one of our qb candidates came off the field and said 'be nice to me?' The coaches would probably point the guy to the transfer portal and walk him through how to use it.

The officiating in the Pac-12 seems to be under the same kind of guidance the Pac-12 was under Larry. He was able to convince those in charge all was good. Our officiating is the laughing stock of college football. The Stanford game last season is a perfect example. Just because these guys decided the game was called well doesn't mean it was. Let me be clear, we lost that game, the refs didn't decide the game.

Officiating is a perfect area for George to put his stamp. With a guy in charge of officiating with two games of experience, there seems to be some low hanging fruit ready to be picked. Time to step up and show us what you got!

6cverl.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

What can GK do other than fire the unqualified person overseeing the refs and also perhaps, fire Larry's guy, Merton Hanks? Another guy who is being paid well while seemingly doing nothing? I see no other option(s) available to GK?

Also, especially in today's world, why not make public the person(s) evaluating the refs and a crew's post-game evaluation. Also, what are the credentials for being hired as referee and what is considered to be an adequate grade to remain employed as a referee?

To David Marsh' excellent point, why can't games be speeded up by setting a time limit in which plays can be reviewed. IMO, if a call 'cannot' be overturned after two minutes of review, the call should stand and play on.

How much independence and authority does GK have? He reports to a board of 12 people. Thus, he cannot change anything material without board approval. Taking the HQ remote is a great move. But look at the numbers and how could any commissioner and governing body not have accomplished this year's ago?

I like GK. He 'gets 'it!' He knows the conference has to step up in CBB and CFB; and this includes how the games are reffed. But without help from the folks he reports to, GK can't make this happen on his own.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure the refs were better last year - I just think people had forgotten some of the incompetence because 2020 was such a messed up season.  I know one thing for sure - I would never have kept a leader in my company for 7 years with the mediocre performance that Coleman and team have had.  There has to be a better option.  

I thought the Mountain West refs were terrible when Utah was there and then was shocked at the Pac-12 poor quality.   And I agree - just because they didn’t apologize doesn’t mean they didn’t have some major mistakes.   Just because you haven’t gotten a speeding ticket doesn’t mean you haven’t deserved one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Excellent comments. But Jon Joseph hit the nail square on the head.......

It starts at the top. Ask yourself this question: Are the 12 PAC Presidents trained and qualified to be making these types of decisions? 

Their track record proves they are not. These arrogant knuckleheads kept King Larry around 5 years too long. They cost the schools millions in wasted expenditures.

I may be breaking a rule here but their failure to expand membership to at least 4 schools will cost each school millions in future revenues.

This leadership group moves too slowly. Ask yourself this question: Do all 12 of the presidents really love athletics? I dont think they care in the least.

Change usually comes from people who care. People who have the passion to bring about change. True change.......

Officiating, expansion or media rights need to be handled by those that care. Handled by those whose paychecks depend on it. Do the PAC 12 Presidebts paychecks depend on any of these items? Absolutely not.....

Where is their motivation to change?

On 4/17/2022 at 10:12 AM, Flyin Vee said:

How come it seems we get the Larry, Moe and Curly crew every time we play the tree stumps?

Because of a Puddles Cardinal Sin?

On 4/17/2022 at 10:03 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Where is their motivation to change?

None. Their prowess is evident. This group of knuckleheads has band majored the entire league into a culdesac designed to be a circular firing squad.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2022 at 7:57 AM, Haywarduck said:

there seems to be some low hanging fruit ready to be picked

For Costanza, there was no hanging fruit in that episode 😉

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if this guy can work a football game, the Pac-12 might be a good fit!

8c193785ccb001384310093416a8a6bb
WWW.YAHOO.COM

Home plate umpire Jeff Nelson missed quite a few calls on Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1