David Marsh

Favorite Oregon Player of All Time?

Not talking the best Oregon player... Just your favorite player. 

Mine will sound boring and uninspired but... Marcus Mariota. I really started following Oregon football intensely in 2012 when MM started his Oregon career. This last summer I took a tour of past games as we sat in a football drought and it was a complete joy watching him work the Oregon offensive system.

Second favorite... DAT... Because DAT. Enough said. 

Do who is your favorite player of all time? 

This should come as no surprise to anyone, my favorite, not only Oregon player, but any player, is Ronnie Lee.  He is the all time leading scorer for the Ducks, and would have even more points if there had been a 3 point line back then. He didn't have a great shooting %, but at the end of the game, he had the green light, except, because above all, Ronnie played to win, Greg Ballard usually, or any other Duck had a better shot, he'd get the ball to them.

He was the captain of the Kamikaze Kids, was in the middle when the Ducks used to stand on the midcourt line and, "stare down" the other team. I have to give Marv Harshman, coach of the Huskies back then, for giving the Huskies, Groucho Marx masks to wear during one of the stare downs. Much better humor than John Wooden had.

Ronnie and the Ducks never made the NCAA's, they actually didn't do all that well in post season play. But, even more than did Chip's teams change the way football was played, Harter, led by Ronnie Lee, changed basketball. Ronnie didn't have a great NBA career, the Trail Blazers could have taken him, but took Lionel Hollins, from ASU, after Ronnie and the Ducks beat Lionel & ASU in the Far West Classic. He ended up going to Phoenix, where he played an otherwise anonymous player, named Don Buse.

But, despite all the great, record setting, award winning Ducks since, Ronnie Lee is my #1. 

Always tough to name one player. So I will name three...Mariota, LaMike, Herbert. 

Mariota for obvious reasons...have to pick a guy that had a building named to honor his achievements. LaMike was such a warrior for his size and played a significant role during the Chip Kelly years. Herbert is just a class act and is starting to make me a Charger fan. 

Never watched Phil Knight run, but.....I am a huge fan.  😇

Go Ducks

• Pick one? Too hard to do. Since 1994, I could probably limit to a favorite 150?

150. Nathan Villegas - K

149. Justin Phinisee - CB

148. Eric Edwards - CB

149. Darrell Wright - DE

148. Michael Fletcher - S

147. Josh Bidwell - K

146. Rasuli Webster - S

145. AJ Tuitele - LB

144. Eddie Pleasant - S

143. Jaiya Figueras - S

142. Tyler Johnson - OL

141. Brandon Bair - DL

140. Tasi Malepeai - OL

139. Aiden Schneider - K

138. Boseko Lokombo - LB

137. Avery Patterson - S

136. RaShon Harris - DL

135. Charles Nelson - WR

134. Hornus Grasu - OL

133. Eric Dargan - S

132. Stevie Moore - CB

131. Mike Schmidt - DL

130. Henry Mondeaux - DL

129. Terrence Whitehead - RB

128. Alex Balducci - DL

127. JD Nelson - S

126. Justin Hollins - DL

125. Chris Solomona - DL

124. Nick Steitz - OL

123. Darren Carrington - WR

122. Reggie Jordan - LB

121. Carson York - OL

120. Braylon Addison - WR

119. Matt Toeaina - DL

118. Cameron Hunt - OL

117. Lee Gundy - OL

116. Dontae Rosario - TE

115. Dietrich Moore - LB

114. Jordan Holmes - OL

113. Marc Gregg - OL

112. Muhammad Oliver - S

111. Jake Hansen - OL

110. Ricky Whittle - RB

109. Josh Kaddu - LB

108. Pharaoh Brown - TE

107. CE Kaiser - OL

106. Marc Asper - OL

105. Byron Marshall - WR

104. Saladin McCullough - RB

103. Marshaun Tucker - WR

102. Deke Moen - OL

101. Tony Graziani - QB

100. David Paulson - TE

99. Jalen Jelks - DL

98. Derrick Barnes - LB

97. Keith Lewis - S

96. Enoka Lucas - OL

95. Anthony Trucks - LB

94. Demmodore Lenoir - CB

93. Kelen Clemens - QB

92. Darrion Weems - OL

91. Taylor Hart -DL

90. Jaison Williams - WR

89. Casey Matthews - LB

88. Josh Huff - WR

87. Vernon Adams -QB

86. Will Tukuafu - DL

85. Tim Day - TE

84. Rich Ruhl - LB

83. Blake Spence - TE

82. Junior Siavii - DL

81. Christian McLemore - WR

80. Akili Smith - QB

79. Talmadge Jackson - CB

78. Jeremiah Johnson - RB

77. Jerome Boyd - TE

76. Josh Wilcox - TE

75. Dennis Dixon - QB

74. Spencer Paysinger - LB

73. Herman O'Berry - CB

72. Geoff Schwartz - OL

71. Kenny Rowe - DL

70. Calvin Throckmorton - OL

69. Shane Lemeaux - OL

68. Kenjon Barner - RB

67. Wes Mallard - LB

66. Terrence Mitchell - CB

65. Jeremiah Masoli - QB

64. Jake Fisher - OL

63. Damon Griffin - WR

62. Jed Weaver - TE

61. Romeo Bandison - DL

60. Devan  Long - DL

59. Dan Weaver - OL

58. Blair Phillips - LB

57. Jeff Maehl - WR

56. Jim Adams - OL

55. Demetrius Williams - WR

54. Thomas Graham - CB

53. Michael Clay - LB

52. Paul Wiggins - OL

51. Steve Smith - CB

50. Ontario Smith - RB

49. Fenuki Tupoa - OL

48. Sammie Parker - WR

47. George Wrighster - TE

46. Nick Reed - DL

45. Kyle Long - OL

44. Pat Johnson - WR

43. Eric Castle - S

42. Cliff Harris - CB

41. Darron Thomas - QB

40. Jeremy Asher - LB

39. Kevin Mitchell - LB

38. Tyrell Crosby - OL

37. Ed Dickson - TE

36. Jarius Byrd - S

35. Matt Smith - LB

34. Tony Hartley - WR

33. Peter Simon - LB

32. John Boyette - S

31. Maurice Morris - RB

30. Sal Patu - DL

29. DeAnthony Thomas - WR

28. Keenan Howry - WR

27. Ifo Ekpre-Olomo - CB

26. Walter Thurmond III - CB

25. Chad Cota - S

24. Arik Armstead - DL

23. Jevon Holland - S

22. Royce Freeman - RB

21. Ernest Jones - LB

20. Dion Jordan - DL

19. Rueben Drougns - RB

18. Kayvon Thibodeaux - DL 

17. Alex Molden - CB

16. Adam Snyder - OL

15. Kiko Alonso - LB

14. Joey Harrington - QB

13. Patrick Chung - S

12. Troy Dye - LB

11. Igor Olshanski - DL

10. Kenny Wheaton - CB

9. Justin Herbert - QB

8. Rashad Bauman - CB

7. Max Unger - OL

6. Penei Sewell - OL

5. Jonathan Stewart - RB

4. DeForest Buckner - DL

3. Marcus Mariota - QB

2. Haloti Ngata - DL

1. LaMichael James - RB

Kenny Wheaton - the guy who started it all

There were three players who changed the way I viewed the sport they played and how I live. First was Prefontaine in track and field, not an exciting sport, until Pre. Nobody ran like Pre, you weren't suppose to just go as hard and long as you could, that wasn't done. The next was Ronnie Lee, you weren't suppose to dive after loose balls, that wasn't done. The last was DAT, a guy who could break it all the way on any play, and you could't afford to miss even a minute of the game. These guys along with Phil Knight have made The Oregon Athletic Department famous around the world.

The combination of talent and effort of these three guys has defined the way I live and experience sports. I try to give it my all because, as Pre said and lived, to give anything less is to sacrifice the gift that was given you. Ronnie Lee taught me to look for opportunities where few thought there were any, never give up. DAT taught me to always appreciate the talent in others, be grateful for the moment you are in. They were great to me, because they live within me everyday.

images-13.jpeg.b22ad829ce1fd4024c2fd727d9612600.jpeg

Edited by Haywarduck

Impossible to select just one, there have been so many who stand out.

But for me, if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Marcus Mariota. Not just for his football talent but for the character he has always displayed. He is in a special pantheon of great role models.

My first Favorite Duck was Billy Gaskins, he was the 2 guard for the Ducks when they played, and beat, #1 UCLA 78-65, ending a UCLA 25 game winning streak, that game, Feb.21, was my intro-Duck-ion, and have bled green & yellow ever since.

I also want to recognize a Duck I will always remember. Her name is Janelle Lindvall, and she was the catcher on the softball team, from 2013-16. She was a good, not great hitter average wise, but if the Ducks were coming up and needed  a hit, it was always nice to see that she'd get an at bat.

What really drew me to her though was on defense, and just how she handled her job. I don't recall her ever having a passed ball, and very few wild pitches, and she always looked calm, had to be a confidence builder for the pitcher. Janelle has a sister, named Lauren, who played 2nd base for the Ducks, 2015-18.

For me and reason I can't fully articulate: Kiko Alonzo. He overcame adversity and always showed out when it mattered most!

Edited by Big G Dub

6 minutes ago, Big G Dub said:

For me and reason I can't fully articulate: Kiko Alonzo. He overcame adversity and always showed out when it mattered most!

Kiko Alonzo was so much fun to watch. Just a game wrecker on the field.

30Ducksaid:
“This shou
ld come as no surprise to anyone, my favorite, not only Oregon player, but any player,is Ronnie Lee. “

I agree!  He was tremendous as a Duck!  So glad he made it to the NBA.  Have you noticed that they’ve given his RETIRED NUMBER(30) to Figueroa?  What’s up with that?

After Lee: loved watching the very talented Luke Ridenour, and Aaron Brooks!

Football?  Hard to find better’n: Bobby Moore, Jonathan Stewart, and/or LMJ!!,

Edited by Duckdude

40 minutes ago, Duckdude said:

Have you noticed that they’ve given his RETIRED NUMBER(30) to Figueroa?  What’s up with that?

I absolutely noticed that, and quite frankly was bothered that until you just brought it up here, it hadn't seem to have been noticed. I have a lot of respect for Figueroa, and hope he does well. But watching him out there on the court, wearing 30 will never be right. 

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

I absolutely noticed that, and quite frankly was bothered that until you just brought it up here, it hadn't seem to have been noticed. I have a lot of respect for Figueroa, and hope he does well. But watching him out there on the court, wearing 30 will never be right. 

Agree, 30 is Ronnie Lee, there is no time limit to the appreciation Oregon should give to the number 30. A mistake to give that number to anyone, I don't care who he is.

Looks like the word got out. Kudos to all involved. AJ switched to #12. Doesn't sound like the announcers read OBD (they suggested AJ changed his numbers due to shooting woes).

47 minutes ago, AnotherOD said:

Looks like the word got out. Kudos to all involved. AJ switched to #12. Doesn't sound like the announcers read OBD (they suggested AJ changed his numbers due to shooting woes).

Yes, I noticed that.  Kudos to the Athletic Dept., Altman, And L.J. For doing the right thing out of well deserved respect for what Ronnie Lee did for the UofO on the basketball court!

By the way, Did you SEE that last-second shot of the half be Estrada?  WOW!!!

10 hours ago, Duckdude said:

(they suggested AJ changed his numbers due to shooting woes).

He hit his first shot, but went 4-14 for the game, so his shooting woes continue. The important thing in that he looks much better in 12, and 30 is being accorded the respect it deserves.

I was looking at my list and probably need 200. Some guys who I forgot who probably need to be in there somewhere:

LaGarrette Blount, TJ Ward, Troy Bailey, Bo Than, Terry Miller, Ugo Amadi, Mathew Harper, Zac Freiter, Bryant Jackson, Aaron Gipson, Derrick Barnes, David Weber, Troy Hill, Leie Sualua, Robin Knebel, Hamani Stevens, Wade Keliikipi, and a bunch more.

100% agreement on Ronnie Lee. 
But my football favorites is another couple of warriors that I can’t choose between:

Michael Clay and John Boyette.