FishDuck Article

Should Oregon Football Fear USC?

Interesting to ponder your "concern" level regarding USC?

Snag_202b35d-300x300-cropped.png?p=19461
FISHDUCK.COM

This has been a turbulent offseason to say the least for Oregon. On top of the Mario Cristobal fiasco and a ton of talent jumping ship, there'
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

How much of Riley’s success at OU was a a result of what Bob Stoops built? 

How much of things outside of Riley’s making led to their success?

USC is a rebuild with some talent. It’s nothing like what Riley inherited. 

Lincoln is building a new culture and exchanging a roster for his own. It may not happen overnight. 

Not only will it take time for USC to change the roster but coach em up. 

One coach tailored practice to watch the masters. Another coach kept his head down

cant say that made the Conerly difference but I’m yet to be nervous about usc football dominance quite yet. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Respect, certainly, fear no. Riley's situation at USC is totally different than when he took over from Stoops. Oklahoma was a healthy blue blood program already hitting on all cylinders.

USC needs lots of work. USC will be better this year, but I think it will take 3 years + for Riley to get them back on track and until then they will be sniffing Duck tail feathers. And still may be after that!

• Thumbs Up 3

Riley has won the contest for the nicest house of any pac-12 coach. Even this contest is nothing without the fence and security around it. Without that fence and security it would be destroyed in a week in LA. The same can be said of his program.

Right now he has the nicest qb of any pac-12 coach. The problem is he has very little security for that qb. Programs will be going after his qb, I know at least Oregon will be, and they will be relentless. The O-line is weak and thin, so this security system is just like a little white picket fence, hop over and your in. Once in the security of Williams is all they got, no back-up system. The offense is a house of cards. The RB position is also weak, and thin.

On defense they have no line. SC also has no culture of relentless play. Until Riley can build the nice house with a security system with redundancy sc won't be feared, nor respected, as it should be! That is actually what sc football is right now, all show and little substance.

But he can always go back to his beautiful house and turn on the alarm system there. There won't be any fear there, but any coach at usc should fear for his job, as it only looks good on the outside, much like that house. 

• Thumbs Up 6

In times before the wide open transfer portal I think it would have taken at least three years to get this team up towards the top of the P12. With the current portal situation I think Riley will accelerate progress. This year will be much better than last year's 4 - 8 record and the 2023 team will contend for a P12 Championship.

He will recruit high schoolers/transfers at high levels. There is a lot of talent in his own backyard and he is a good coach. Will be some competitive Oregon vs Trojan games in the near future.

• Thumbs Up 3

Riley is a very good proven coach and recruiter.  It's going to take a couple years to clean up the dumpster fire he inherits, but he will bring USC back there is no doubt in my mind about that.  We should respect the Trojans just as we should respect all our opponents (ok that is stretching it when it comes to the butt lickers).   

They will definitely compete for top end talent at all the skill positions.  They do have some talent on the offensive and defensive line (Corey Foreman) but obviously need some more.   If and when they finally start getting talent consistently in the trenches that's when they will be dangerous.  Respect your opponent, never fear them.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Fear not the trojans until Riley proves himself. I still fear Utah over the trojans. 

I will concede that the trojans have a recruiting advantage over any team in the Pack. But they have had that advantage since Pete left and how has that worked out for them. 

Wit is a proven, quality, head coach. 

His players are more physically and mentally mature than any other team in the P12. It’s the nature of both Utah and BYU because the average player is two years older.

If Wit can keep his QB play at a level it is now they are a scary bunch for sure and he will not roll over for  usc or Oregon for that matter any time soon. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Oregon should respect every opponent and fear none.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to expect from Lincoln Riley yet.  He has never lost more than 2 games as a head coach.  I think that streak will end this season.  He coached 5 seasons at Oklahoma, so he had a full recruiting cycle to end up with the majority of the players his kids in 2021.

In 2020 Oklahoma lost to Iowa St. and Kansas state in game 2 and 3.  Iowa St. ended up being ranked in the top 10 to finish the season.  Oklahoma finished that season beating Iowa St. in the Big 12 championship game and #7 Florida in the Cotton Bowl.

In 2021 Oklahoma lost to Baylor and Oklahoma St.  Both finished in the top 10 at the end of the season.

Riley didn't make the CFP his last 2 seasons, but it isn't like he was losing a ton of games or losing to teams he shouldn't lose to.  The Kansas St. game in 2020 was a team they should beat, but it was game 2 in 2020.  I think we all have erased 2020 as being any type of season worth remembering.  

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree with the sentiment, respect USC. Neither USC or that school up north have ever extended that courtesy to Oregon. The Trojans are the buzz, Cowherd has them champs already. I'll show some respect to Riley, but while Lanning has probably found a nice place for him and his family, it isn't a mansion, and practices weren't scheduled around Tiger's tee times. I like how Lanning is handling things so far. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I am aligned with "Just Ducky" on this one. Utah humbled our DUCKS twice last year. I am not going to worry about USC until we climb the Utah mountain.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/18/2022 at 7:55 AM, Just Ducky said:

Fear not the trojans until Riley proves himself. I still fear Utah over the trojans. 

I will concede that the trojans have a recruiting advantage over any team in the Pack. But they have had that advantage since Pete left and how has that worked out for them. 

Wit is a proven, quality, head coach. 

His players are more physically and mentally mature than any other team in the P12. It’s the nature of both Utah and BYU because the average player is two years older.

If Wit can keep his QB play at a level it is now they are a scary bunch for sure and he will not roll over for  usc or Oregon for that matter any time soon. 

Interesting take on Utah, but Utah last season had a special inspiration which may be hard to replicate. The two players who passed away, plus the underdog qb who took over created a unique mentality within that team. I was actually surprised, and saddened they lost to the nuts in the Rose Bowl. Agree Whit is the dean of college coaches in the Pac-12 and deserves respect.

Also agree about the trojans, and I'll believe the hype when they put together a solid season from start to finish. They may be a shell of themselves by the end of the season with the lack of depth they have. Any injuries may seriously damage the ability of that team. Injuries and a culture which may turn out to be more delicate than tenacious, if history is any indicator.

USC might look good like their cheerleaders, but unfortunately they also play like a bunch of cheerleaders without leadership. I'll take our cheerleaders and players over usc anytime!

IMG_0997_2edit.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that fear isn’t meant to mean that we cower at the thought of playing USC, that’s absurd. Therefore, having some fear/respect of an opponents ability should always be used to motivate the competitive spirit in both the coaching staff, and players. 

With that said, I fear that USC is improving and that we never underestimate their abilities as a team.

As Dan Lanning and staff constantly reiterates they are striving to improve each and every day. That is part of building the winning culture that this staff is trying to instill in this team. Ultimately, if that is embraced that is a never ending task.

I look forward to some epic games with USC in the future. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Haywarduck said:

Riley has won the contest for the nicest house of any pac-12 coach. Even this contest is nothing without the fence and security around it. Without that fence and security it would be destroyed in a week in LA. The same can be said of his program.

Right now he has the nicest qb of any pac-12 coach. The problem is he has very little security for that qb. Programs will be going after his qb, I know at least Oregon will be, and they will be relentless. The O-line is weak and thin, so this security system is just like a little white picket fence, hop over and your in. Once in the security of Williams is all they got, no back-up system. The offense is a house of cards. The RB position is also weak, and thin.

On defense they have no line. SC also has no culture of relentless play. Until Riley can build the nice house with a security system with redundancy sc won't be feared, nor respected, as it should be! That is actually what sc football is right now, all show and little substance.

But he can always go back to his beautiful house and turn on the alarm system there. There won't be any fear there, but any coach at usc should fear for his job, as it only looks good on the outside, much like that house. 

I agree the OL is thin but it does have talent. Average rush last season was 4.4 yards. Gave up only 18 sacks in 12 games, with a less mobile guy than Caleb Williams playing QB. Brought in a very good OL guy from UVA. 

RB? Getting Dye from the Ducks and Jones from Stanford were 2 very solid pickups. The same at WR with Williams from OK (no relation to Caleb) leading a talented group of WR transfers.

If the OL holds up and with the other talent on O including Caleb Williams who finished with the 4th best QBR last season, I think this team could shoot-out its way to 10 wins in 2022, and make a run at the S division championship. Teams will be coming at Caleb no doubt, but the cat is elusive.

SC missing the Ducks in 2022, and Utah having to play in Autzen, could really help out the Trojans. SC can take a loss in Salt Lake City and still win the South title.

Yes. Riley took over a great situation with Oklahoma, but how can he not be an improvement over the incompetent who preceded him? He has assembled a much better staff than Helton ever had at SC, and he understands what a championship program looks like and what has to be done to compete at a championship level.

Riley is competing in a conference that is less difficult than the B12. The Pac-12 went 0-5 in its 2021 bowl games. At 5-2 in its bowl games, the B12 finished with the best P5 bowl record. The 2 teams that defeated OK in 2021? Baylor defeated Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl and OK ST defeated Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. We all know what happened in the Alamo Bowl.

Terrific take from Alex. Of course Oregon is not going to fear SC, but I think many the Pac-12 fan may be selling Riley short?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting take on Utah, but Utah last season had a special inspiration which may be hard to replicate. The two players who passed away, plus the underdog qb who took over created a unique mentality within that team. I was actually surprised, and saddened they lost to the nuts in the Rose Bowl. Agree Whit is the dean of college coaches in the Pac-12 and deserves respect.

Also agree about the trojans, and I'll believe the hype when they put together a solid season from start to finish. They may be a shell of themselves by the end of the season with the lack of depth they have. Any injuries may seriously damage the ability of that team. Injuries and a culture which may turn out to be more delicate than tenacious, if history is any indicator.

USC might look good like their cheerleaders, but unfortunately they also play like a bunch of cheerleaders without leadership. I'll take our cheerleaders and players over usc anytime!

IMG_0997_2edit.png

I think this take on Utah is spot on - It will be hard to replicate the emotion that the Utes had based on their unique sad situation last year.  It was a different feeling than I have ever seen at Utah.  Also the qb debacle at the start of the year shows a huge weakness in an otherwise strong coaching staff.  Never should have had Charlie Brewer start over Rising - they just have a hard time evaluating QB talent - game vs practice skills.  This will be what keeps them from being great every year.  Still the team to beat next year in the South with the talent they return. It seems unlikely they could beat the Ducks twice again though!

Oregon should fear no team in the PAC-12 right now.  I don’t think usc will take 3 years to build back, but Riley can only do so much next year with the dysfunctional group he inherited.  the good news is all the hype they get will be a positive for the conference by getting more athletes to look out west.  Lanning has already proven he can capitalize on that.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 7:55 AM, Just Ducky said:

I will concede that the trojans have a recruiting advantage over any team in the Pack

I cannot concede that point. 

True So Cal has the volume of Athletes close by and that provides some small advantage. But MC recruited So Cal and so will DL and staff. 

However oregon has a better stadium campus facilities and football operations. The investment into facilities, training resources, medical and the like is a big draw to Oregon. USC does not presently compare. 

Nike and the NIL efforts of others are solid

USC sits in a ghetto that is getting worse by the week and despite Trojan wire angst, LA ain’t no college town. 

I will however concede the weather, women, food, and access to entertainment which could easily be viewed as potential distractions and sources of de motivation for dedication to football. No shortage of SC players getting in trouble over the years. However shooting at people from cars is totally normal so they got that going for them. 

I feel blessed Oregon has a great new staff, a increasingly talented roster, the facilities-better than others, and a coaching staff that looks perhaps more motivated than The university of second choice, n  spoiled children. 

USC ain’t got no Fish Duck either. 

AD924F2F-C799-4F90-A636-7884D8DBE630.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, Goutes18 said:

the good news is all the hype they get will be a positive for the conference by getting more athletes to look out west.

The incredible nationwide hype is wonderful for the conference....and for every team that beats them!  I wish we were not playing Utah or USC during any regular season so that a Pac-12 Championship game against either would be that much more epic.

Georgia fans were telling me how Oregon vs. USC could end up being "must-see" TV with all the hype of the Riley Offense and the Lanning Defense.  We ALL win from that including our colleagues in SLC.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I NEVER thought I'd see this in my entire life...and it is true right now!  More talent than USC?  Whew!

On 4/18/2022 at 11:45 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

USC ain’t got no FishDuck either. 

And that warms my heart--thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/18/2022 at 9:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

I'll take our cheerleaders and players over usc anytime!

Me too.

2013 Cheerleaders_Craig Strobeck_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/18/2022 at 11:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Me too.

The main reason 'it never rains in Autzen,' just sunshine!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The incredible nationwide hype is wonderful for the conference....and for every team that beats them!  I wish we were not playing Utah or USC during any regular season so that a Pac-12 Championship game against either would be that much more epic.

Georgia fans were telling me how Oregon vs. USC could end up being "must-see" TV with all the hype of the Riley Offense and the Lanning Defense.  We ALL win from that including our colleagues in SLC.

Great take. The SEC with 8 regular season games means a title matchup will most often not be a rematch. UGA plays Bama in the regular season once every 6 or 7 years.

When OK and TX come on board I think the SEC will go to pods instead of divisions and will play 9 conference games. But even with 9 conference games in a 16 team conference there will be fewer champ game repeats than we will witness in the Pac-12.

With the B1G's reluctance to drop to 8 conference games to facilitate OOC games vs the Pac-12 and the ACC, I imagine the Pac-12 will stay with 9 regular season games?

I hope the Pac-12 will eliminate divisions but if the conference stays with divisions I'd like to see the cross-division games follow the OOC games. If there is a rematch, the first game will have happened earlier in the season. (I also hope the CA schools playing one another every season goes away?)

In 2022, I would much rather have the Ducks playing Utah in October and not in late November.

Coherent conference scheduling has rarely been seen in the Pac-12; especially, under the aegis of Scott and Merton Hanks. This is an issue that GK, IMO, needs to address prior to the schedules being formatted for the 2023 season.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, McDuck said:

Oregon should respect every opponent and fear none.

My kind of post. Short and correct!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Me too.

Ah, wouldn't it be nice to have that choice? And be young enough to do something with it?

• Haha 2

I believe we should have strong teams like the SEC and B10. So when we beat them they will be ranked. Also playing tougher competition will make us even better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

Top 10 Reasons Not to Fear USC

10.  The great John McKay can’t call plays where he’s at

9.  The not-as-great Pete Carroll has gone bye-bye, too

8.  Lincoln Riley must be full of it—his new crib has 12 bathrooms

7.  Dan Lanning didn’t buy an over-the-top house atop the world’s most dangerous earthquake fault

6.  Traveler about ready for the glue factory

5.  Board of regents looking at new USC appellation--Useless Snotnose Crackheads

4.  Lori Loughlin offering to help with football recruiting

3. “Big One” overdue to move USC far, far out of the Pac-12

2.  Jersey of homicidal maniac hanging in Coliseum ensures wrath of football gods

1.  The Duck can beat to a pulp any uppity boy of Troy

On 4/18/2022 at 11:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I'll take our cheerleaders and players over usc anytime!

I’m 54 greying quickly and turning into a dirty old man rapidly. I’d take most any college cheerleader I could get. 

However,  this beauty might not breed any Rhode Scholars. 

EC61B51C-E1E9-482F-A0AE-642A4ADDA335.jpeg

Fear No Team.  Respect is fine for the teams that earn it.

The undisciplined spoiled children deserve no more and no less than our complete and total attention the week they play The Ducks.

The butt sniffers to the north would deserve our pity if they weren’t such a pathetic bunch of sniveling curs.  As such, we should give them no more and no less than a monumental beat down every time they dare to step on the field with us.

Edited by PittDuck
Fixed

Divisions are a thing of the past we need to move forward and go to some kind of pod system.  We need to get ahead of the trend here rather than being dragged kicking and screaming into the new world of college football.

I fear their rally girls. 😀