Kurt Rambis

Another Lost to the Transfer Portal--DL Jonah Miller

KF47L3GU5VG2XI3SHHO2IXCOHU.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Jonah Miller, a redshirt-freshman who moved to defensive tackle from offensive line this spring, entered the transfer portal on...

As has been expected, we knew there would be some attrition on the way. Players that are lower on the totem pole or that don't like the expectations placed upon them etc. I do hate to lose players, but if this opens up a scholarship for a Kyler Kasper, (or another player that fills a need) then I'm 100% for it and wish them success wherever it is they go.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

These are signs to me that the coaching staff will not accept mediocrity and I’m sure there will be more. Some players and coaches just don’t mix. It’s not high school any more. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounded like the Ducks were working to find a spot where he fit, now Jonah will trying to find a place to fit in. I wish him well in his journey and hope he finds the best place academically, socially and athletically for him to thrive!

This seems to be where the portal can provide an opportunity for a player to step into a better fit. I hope he finds that place, and doesn't become just another scholarship athlete without a scholarship. Thank you Jonah for giving Oregon a shot and keep on working towards you dreams, it is a journey with many turns!

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Like 2

With the ease of transferring now via the portal,  I can't blame these kids for going that route when they find themselves low on the depth chart, playing a position of need instead of where they were recruited to play, or just plain ready for a change of scenery and atmosphere. Jackson Powers-Johnson and DJ Johnson have adapted well to the need to be versatile and it shows out in their play and how the coaches talk them up. It just may have not been the best fit for Jonah Miller. Best of luck to him going forward. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

I wish him well in his journey and hope he finds the best place academically, socially and athletically for him to thrive!

This seems to be where the portal can provide an opportunity for a player to step into a better fit. I hope he finds that place, and doesn't become just another scholarship athlete without a scholarship. Thank you Jonah for giving Oregon a shot and keep on working towards you dreams, it is a journey with many turns!

Great post, rinse and repeat for anyone entering the portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

These guys entering the portal should have an agreed upon landing spot. Lots of young men who are giving up their current scholarship are finding that the not only is the grass not greener, but there is no new grass. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

These guys entering the portal should have an agreed upon landing spot. Lots of young men who are giving up their current scholarship are finding that the not only is the grass not greener, but there is no new grass. 

Isn't talking to an athlete from another institution before they enter the portal a NCAA violation?  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, McDuck said:

Isn't talking to an athlete from another institution before they enter the portal a NCAA violation?  

If nothing else it should be tampering.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, McDuck said:

In theory, yes.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:32 PM, Just Ducky said:

If nothing else it should be tampering.

I agree but it is going on all over the place. Especially when it comes to poaching talented guys from the G5.

I know first hand a situation where a dad is contacting a school indirectly about his kid transferring. If your a parent and not helping manage your kids transfer then you aren't doing your job. There is undoubtedly some kids without parents doing their job, but I can guarantee it is going on.

I have no idea what the coaches are thinking when they decide on a transfer. I would think there is some skepticism about accepting a transfer when there are freshman who don't have the baggage transfers have. Seems there are some kids who think they are still as or more desirable as a transfer and they are sadly mistaken.

• Thumbs Up 1

It could also being the coaches asking them to leave to free up  scholarships. Especially since they didn't recruit them to the program.

Because of all the coaching changes in CFB especially at major schools is why I believe the portal has exploded this year.

If you also add in the covid exemption it's a lot harder to get HS players and portal incomers. You are going to have to many players under scholarship so the only solution is to have previous players leave.

Sad but true IMHO.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, Duck 1972 said:

t could also being the coaches asking them to leave to free up  scholarships. Especially since they didn't recruit them to the program.

I think I read that with this transfer Oregon stands at 86 scholorship athletes, which is one over the limit. They need to lose another one before September. If they land another commit or transfer, then hey have to lose 2.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

These guys entering the portal should have an agreed upon landing spot.

I am not sure they are allowed to.  Tampering CFB style?

On 4/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, Steven A said:

I am not sure they are allowed to.  Tampering CFB style?

All this 'stuff' is under the radar. It's a 3rd party on behalf of school X who reaches out to someone 'close' to the player and discusses the transfer 'details.'  

Gary Paterson, before he was let go by TCU, complained about so many of his good players 'hearing' from SEC teams. Easy to allege but far from easy to prove and unlike the NFL, there is no ipso facto remedy for tampering. 

The Commish of CFB doesn't exist; so, he can't levy fines or take away draft choices that do not exist in CFB.

Report a tampering violation to the  to the NCAA? Perhaps the NCAA will get around to doing something about it 3 to 6 years down the road?

On 4/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, McDuck said:

Yes.... But what usually happens is what is called as tampering which is also technically illegal but no one is enforcing it and it is super difficult to track. 

They comunicate using old high school coaches and friends of friends sort of thing. 

So basically what happens is their old high school coach, or 7 on 7 coach or whatever other coach... Is contacted by a perspective team and that old coach reaches out to the player and communicates there is interest and that there is a starting spot waiting for them. 

It is all in a legal grey area at best but the NCAA isn't going to even bother with these kind of investigations because they are just way too much work and not always that easy to prove. 

From the sound of it sometimes those communicating with the player are just super vague with something like "if you enter the transfer portal you will find a better team".

Then throw NIL on top of it. 

It all needs regulation but that isn't going to happen soon enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:31 PM, David Marsh said:

It all needs regulation but that isn't going to happen soon enough. 

Yes, it is the Wild Wild West and to some, college football's Tombstone. 

Well, even the pros have their agents talk to whomever.  It pretty much comes down to as long as the player doesn't talk to any coaching staff, it isn't tampering.  Silly, but just how it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:55 AM, Steven A said:

Yes, it is the Wild Wild West and to some, college football's Tombstone. 

I think that regulation of 'tampering' and other CFB concerns of the moment will not come before the Transition Committee presents it recommendations for G5/P5 governance free of the NCAA.

The Transition Committee is co-chaired by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and the Ohio University AD. 

One wonders if there will be uniformity between the G5/P5 and even conference to conference? I believe the Pac-12 has 2 representatives on the 20 person committee? Unlike the 4 person committee that recommended the 12 team playoff format, this committee is inclusive.

It will be fascinating to see how G5/P5 football will be regulated without the NCAA being involved. 

If you listen to Noah Whittington’s interview from last week, he pretty much says that he knew he had a spot on the ducks before he entered the portal. Who knows how, and hopefully not coach to player, but I would expect some of the portal transfers are pre-arranged and some are players entering the open market. 

One of the UGA 5* OL guys who entered the portal is back with the Dawgs.