BYUTexan

BYU and Oregon Fan Here--I Come in Peace!

I'm a BYU alumnus who cheers for his alma mater, yet also cheers for Oregon as my #2 team (my late father who passed away from cancer recently, was from Eugene and was a big ducks fan) so I may be dressed up as a walking-contradiction on 9/17 wearing both BYU and Oregon gear at the game (since I root for both my alma mater (BYU) and my late father's team (Oregon)). 

I plan to come up to Eugene from Texas both for the game and to see my late father's Eugene roots.  Anyways I'm hoping to catch some great fishing in the area (both inland and coastal, my father loved to fish up there) and do some tailgating to get the full UO experience, knowing y'all have the most passionate fanbase in the Pac12.  Still trying to figure out if I'll be driving up or flying in (we play Baylor the week before so I want to go to that game too).  Any fishing and tailgating recommendations?  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awesome!  My father went to Winston Churchill Highschool (Class of 72?), joined the LDS church in Eugene in 1968, played church basketball with Danny Ainge and was fellowshipped by the family of NFL Tight End pioneer Todd Christensen who's father was the bishop in Eugene.  My father always spoke fondly of Eugene and I can't wait to visit!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome, and since I am over the Cougars kicking our butt in basketball...I can say now that sincerely.  Fans of all schools are welcome, and please know--we do have some friendly Utah fans here as well!  Do post your opinions, and perhaps this fall you can give us your thoughts on your football team prior to our big game.

BTW...I gave you a BYU helmet avatar for fun and it looks great.

And--as a note to everyone?  The reason he might have come in walking on eggshells?  It is because I revised our registration process and got it completed TODAY.  I warn new members FIVE TIMES in the registration process that we are different here, have rules and enforce them immediately.

Most who join are great people and we really have a wonderful community, but some will sign up and fling mud and feign ignorance of the rules when I email them.  Our deletion/editing rate of over 10,000 posts was only 1/4th of 1% in the first quarter, but it seems a large number of those are newbies who don't believe we are serious about maintaining a GREEN REFUGE from the nastiness of the real world.

Thus good people, like BYUTexan are quite welcome.

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

September is a good time to go chinook salmon fishing on the coast out of Winchester Bay (mouth of the Umpqua River). There are numerous guides available that know the area very well. The fall run of chinook in that area is well known for fish that range from 20 to +50 lbs. 

It is approximately a 90 minute drive from Eugene. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

For tailgating you would be welcome to join us anytime. Our tailgates vary in size, but usually have 10 to 15 people stop in to join us. We tailgate in the parking lots across from the main entrance to Autzen Stadium. 

Btw…watched Danny Ainge score over 50 points on our BB team in high school. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, Drake said:

For tailgating you would be welcome to join us anytime. Our tailgates vary in size, but usually have 10 to 15 people stop in to join us. We tailgate in the parking lots across from the main entrance to Autzen Stadium. 

He was quite the athlete.  He also was really good at baseball, having gone pro as well.  One of the first two-sport professional athletes.  

I look forward to joining you at your tailgate, let me know if I can bring anything.   

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Drake said:

September is a good time to go chinook salmon fishing on the coast out of Winchester Bay (mouth of the Umpqua River). There are numerous guides available that know the area very well. The fall run of chinook in that area is well known for fish that range from 20 to +50 lbs. 

It is approximately a 90 minute drive from Eugene. 

Started looking at fishing charters for Winchester Bay and surprisingly they aren't all that expensive!  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:30 AM, BYUTexan said:

Started looking at fishing charters for Winchester Bay and surprisingly they aren't all that expensive!  

I would look for a smaller guide boat. When you say charter my mind leaps to a boat that Carry’s 10 to 12 people… you definitely don’t want that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:15 AM, BYUTexan said:

He was quite the athlete.  He also was really good at baseball, having gone pro as well.  One of the first two-sport professional athletes.  

I look forward to joining you at your tailgate, let me know if I can bring anything.   

If you can see my profile it should have contact info…I think…if not let me know…text me and we can connect.

Btw…never required to bring anything to our tail gates…people generally over supply everything.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:15 AM, BYUTexan said:
On 4/18/2022 at 9:47 PM, Drake said:

That 1976-77 basketball season for boys class AAA was, in my opinion, the greatest year ever. As the state tournament began, there were four teams who were undefeated, with each one led by a star player. Lake Oswego had Jeff Stoutt, Parkrose (a power back then) had Ray Blume, Grant had Mark Radford, and defending champion, North Eugene, had Danny Ainge. Lake Oswego lost to Parkrose in the quarterfinals. Parkrose lost to North Eugene (51-40) in the semifinals. And, North Eugene won their second consecutive state title in the final, beating Grant 56-45. North Eugene coach, Barney Holland, eventually became an assistant coach for the Ducks.  And, of course, the Ducks fanned on keeping Danny Ainge in Eugene for college while the Beavers recruited the three other guys for their still-powerful basketball team.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, WiseKwacker said:

That 1976-77 basketball season for boys class AAA was, in my opinion, the greatest year ever. As the state tournament began, there were four teams who were undefeated, with each one led by a star player. Lake Oswego had Jeff Stoutt, Parkrose (a power back then) had Ray Blume, Grant had Mark Radford, and defending champion, North Eugene, had Danny Ainge. Lake Oswego lost to Parkrose in the quarterfinals. Parkrose lost to North Eugene (51-40) in the semifinals. And, North Eugene won their second consecutive state title in the final, beating Grant 56-45. North Eugene coach, Barney Holland, eventually became an assistant coach for the Ducks.  And, of course, the Ducks fanned on keeping Danny Ainge in Eugene for college while the Beavers recruited the three other guys for their still-powerful basketball team.

There probably wasn't that much that Oregon could have done to lure Ainge as he was LDS, so naturally he would choose BYU.  Same with Tualatin star RB Luke Staley (though recruited by most of the Pac 12 schools) who would go on to choose BYU because of his background.  It was just what it was, a unique recruiting situation for players with those backgrounds.  Granted that has changed and many with LDS backgrounds (like Penei Sewell and Haloti Ngata) have been choosing schools other then BYU as other schools are letting their athletes serve missions.   

Though the hype over finally gaining P5 membership was initially surrounding the football program, I think our basketball program is going to see the biggest boost being in the same conference with Kansas.  

Edited by BYUTexan

I know I'm sounding like a broken record (and a Mom) when responding to anyone talking about going on/near the water here for any reason, but wear a life jacket!

And welcome in advance to Oregon, Eugene, and Autzen!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'll make sure to wear a life jacket, I learned to never underestimate the power of the cold ocean water!

Edited by BYUTexan
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 4:28 PM, BYUTexan said:

I'll make sure to wear a life jacket, I learned to never underestimate the power of the cold ocean water!

And in Oregon, the river and lake water too! 🙂

On 4/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, BYUTexan said:

There probably wasn't that much that Oregon could have done to lure Ainge as he was LDS, so naturally he would choose BYU.  Same with Tualatin star RB Luke Staley (though recruited by most of the Pac 12 schools) who would go on to choose BYU because of his background.  It was just what it was, a unique recruiting situation for players with those backgrounds.  Granted that has changed and many with LDS backgrounds (like Penei Sewell and Haloti Ngata) have been choosing schools other then BYU as other schools are letting their athletes serve missions.   

Though the hype over finally gaining P5 membership was initially surrounding the football program, I think our basketball program is going to see the biggest boost being in the same conference with Kansas.  

Great take. But when you are in the B12 and ranked No. 13 in the final college football PO Committee Poll you will be going to a much better bowl than playing UAB in an off the radar exhibition game.

Probably would have played Clemson or Miss St in 2021?

• Like 1

I would suggest for a very Oregon Coast fishing experience that you find a charter in Pacific City on a dory. They launch off the beach on the leeward side of Cape Kiwanda. The very nice ling cod in my picture was caught off a dory very close to Cape Kiwanda. The picture was taken less than a minute after I pulled it in. The reason I'm dressed so warm is that it was caught in January. Click on my picture and you can see a bigger version of it.

Welcome to Oregon!

• Great post! 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I would suggest for a very Oregon Coast fishing experience that you find a charter in Pacific City on a dory. They launch off the beach on the leeward side of Cape Kiwanda. 

As a guy who fished commercially off Cape Kiwanda in the late 70’s and early 80’s, I gotta agree with Jon here!  

You will find no better experience than launching off the beach, limiting out with bottom fish and salmon, then riding the boat through the surf and onto the beach.  It’s about 3 hours north and west of Eugene, but we’ll worth the trip.

Welcome to our little slice of heaven!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest Axel
On 4/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, PittDuck said:

Welcome to our little slice of heaven!

For more than 100 years, dory boats have been launched into the ocean from Cape Kiwanda on the Oregon Coast. Meet a dory-boat fisherman and his young sons in this compelling five-minute video shot in Pacific City.

The McKenzie River near Springfield easily is among the most popular fishing streams in the Willamette Valley.

The McKenzie has abundant wild and hatchery trout, runs of both spring Chinook and summer steelhead, and at least some angling opportunities all year.

This river is on our top choice for Western Oregon in our run-down of Best Fly Fishing Rivers in Oregon, and there are a number of local guides who specialize in fly fishing here.

One more....

Southwestern Oregon’s Umpqua River system offers some of the state’s best and most diverse river fishing in its mainstem and two big forks.

Here you can find some of the biggest Chinook salmon around (both in the spring and fall), steelhead (both summer and winter runs) and fall coho.

You’ll also find some of the region’s best fishing for hard-fighting non-native species including astounding numbers of smallmouth bass and shad and some giant striped bass.

Suggest a guide from the Reedsport area for lower river salmon, sturgeon, or striped bass. A guide from Roseburg, Sutherlin, or Glide can get you steelhead, trout, salmon or smallmouth depending on water conditions from rain or no rain. The upper river is likely to be low in mid September.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

And still one more...

Oregon Ducks fans are renowned around the globe for their wonderfully accommodating hospitality to opposing fans. We have won thousands of awards for our tremendous sportsmanship, and as soon as we can find evidence of even one of them, we will let you know.

Even though Washington Huskies fans hate us and are irredeemably stupid and psychotic, we go out of our way to ensure that they have a unique and exciting fan excursion in a setting that we don’t offer to any other fan base.

It just so happens that there is awesome fishing (heh-heh) in the rapidly rushing, not-too-shallow stream at the top of 620-foot-high Multnomah Falls. It also just so happens that the rocks in that stream are very, very slippery and that the current is very, very strong.

Husky fans go head-over-heels for this breathtaking nature experience.

Axel, my man, you are just too much!

On 4/20/2022 at 11:55 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Axel, my man, you are just too much!

Axel posting is "must read content" in much the same way Oregon football games are "must see TV"...meaning that since I've discovered them both, I never fail to take advantage of ingesting them as rapidly as possible!

• Thumbs Up 2

My father mentioned fishing at a spot called Sister Peaks?  Is that nearby?

bump

Sounds like you want to fish at or near where your dad fished. "spot called Sister peaks" is most  likely the Three Sisters area.

My dad fished that area for 40+ years. I still fish there just to spend time with him, in spirit. So I get it. 

But that area is huge. Many lakes and streams. Do you recall anything more than Sister peaks? ( The Three Sisters are proper  mountains, btw, all over 10k ft elev). 

Without more info, I'd suggest just driving up the OLD  McKenzie River highway (turn right off the NEW highway a few miles after McKenzie Bridge), find a stream to toss your hook in. You dad will be there with you.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Man, reading this thread makes me miss Oregon. As much as I love the mountains, how did I end up on the eastern Shore of Maryland and Western Ohio. 

I need a trip out west for and Oregon fix bad!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I caught my largest trout (21") at three creeks lake on the flanks of one of the sisters. It was Memorial day weekend and snow blocked access to half of the lakes' camp sites.

• Cool 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm leaning towards fishing the coast.  I love me some saltwater fishing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, BYUTexan said:

I'm leaning towards fishing the coast.  I love me some saltwater fishing.  

Check out charters out of Newport! It's a beautiful drive just north of Florence. Some of the best fishing on the coast. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 5:37 PM, BYUTexan said:

My father mentioned fishing at a spot called Sister Peaks?  Is that nearby?

Sisters Peaks refers to the Three Sisters mountains in what we refer to as Central Oregon. Depending on the location it is 2 to 3 hours from Eugene. Remember that there will have been fishing pressure all summer on trout. 

I still recommend Chinook salmon fishing at the mouth of the Umpqua river on the coast. (Less than a two hour drive from Eugene). The fall run of chinook has consistently yielded fish in the 20 to +40 lbs range. Winchester Bay Is the harbor town for the Umpqua river. 

Contacting a fishing guide service vs. “Charter boat” is recommended. You want to fish from a smaller boat, not in a large group, and use a much lighter pole and reel than what they provide on larger charter boats. Which is more fun and challenging.

Generally, that time of year you are fishing less than 1/4 of a mile from the mouth of the river in the ocean. Therefore, a larger charter boat is certainly not necessary , and cumbersome to maneuver amongst other boats. 

I grew up in that area and my family kept a 26’ boat docked at Winchester Bay for years. I have literally caught hundreds of salmon in and around that area. 

Not recommending this guide (I have not fished with him). But, he has nice equipment, which usually means he has been a successful guide…lol

offshore-boat-300x225.jpeg
CASEYSGUIDESERVICE.COM

The bottom fishing adventures are out of Winchester Bay and Charleston, Oregon.   We only go out on the days that the ocean is calm.    The fishing is typically very good and there is a large...

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, AfriDuck said:

"spot called Sister peaks" is most  likely the Three Sisters area.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Drake said:

Sisters Peaks refers to the Three Sisters mountains in what we refer to as Central Oregon.

@AfriDuck and @Drake are spot on. Your Dad may have been fishing the lakes along the Cascades Lakes Highway which all have great views of the Three Sisters Peaks(North, Middle, and South Sisters Peaks).

On 5/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, AfriDuck said:

But that area is huge. Many lakes and streams. Do you recall anything more than Sister peaks? ( The Three Sisters are proper  mountains, btw, all over 10k ft elev)

Hundreds of lakes and streams!

Photo taken from the South Sister Peak.

1427745880_OregonPeaks.thumb.jpeg.29ada6b25796c7cc89cabb59a885fd5b.jpeg

• Like 1