FishDuck Article

Could Ty Thompson be the No. 3 Quarterback?

Jay Butterfield making a move?

ty.thompson-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=194630
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com wonders aloud who will be the backup quarterback for the 2022 Oregon Ducks.

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I was actually surprised AB lasted all last season. I am not talking about his play, just that he stayed healthy. Depending on how these guys are used we could need all three to play next season. Who knows we might even see AJ Abbott end up our starter. 

It may be strategic giving each of these guys reps, but it is also smart to have these guys ready. It has happened before where we go way down the depth chart, and we need depth at the qb position. AJ actually sounds like an interesting prospect, more in the mold of our qb's of old. I agree it may be the new way to keep qb's in the fold, but it also may be just the way we are developing talent, as compared to our previous staff. 

Anyone have news on how AJ looks? I love a good underdog!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix transferred to Oregon, so if anybody should be taking 3rd string reps, it is Bo.  If he were to transfer again, he'd have to sit out a year.  I think Lanning is trying to keep all QBs engaged.

It very well could be that Ty isn't worthy of his 5* rating. Maybe MC was more right than wrong about not putting Ty in when fans thought he should've.

Bringing Bo in pretty much guarantee's the offense will not sputter to start the season. A wise move by Lanning. 

If Ty was all that he's been hyped to be then there wouldn't be a need to bring Bo in.

It doesn't seem like it's commonly done this way, but, if I'm a coach who's evaluating a specific position, I'd want to see all the potential players performing under similar circumstances as much as possible. Although you can judge a player's mastery of the playbook by just watching them perform with a random group of teammates, it seems to me that the real eyeball comparison is best made when each one is playing alongside the same set of teammates and against the same set of teammates on the opposite side of the ball. Thus, rotating all three of the QB candidates through reps with the first team makes sense to me while the evaluation process is still underway.  But what do I know?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Ty doesn't see 3rd string on this roster ever. He may have come from a smaller school, and his star rating might just be slightly over-valued but he is talented none-the-less. He knows this and will transfer the second he isn't in contention for the starting gig. Other schools would be happy to open a much clearer path to the starting job knowing he's coming their way.

Unless something drastic happens, like we find out he simply cannot comprehend Dillingham's offense; he winds up no lower than 2nd string. Is he better than Bo Nix? Probably too close to call. He IS flat out better than Jay Butterfield.

I expect the QB competition to go well into 'fall' practice. 

Of course Ty could end up 3rd string but so could every guy in the QB room. The CFB off season is so long that us fans have a tendency to make far too big a deal out of spring practice and the spring game. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Too early for the coaches to make the decision of exactly where people are on the QB depth chart. Until guys play meaningful minutes you never know who can manage the game and their emotions on game day. We have had highly touted QBs before that never played a game.

Butterfield is a smart kid. He may not be that far behind any of the other QBs.

We do need to get someone besides Nix game experience this year. It will be interesting to see how the coaches handle that situation. I was disappointed with the last coaching staff and the limited opportunities that they provided to our young QBs to gain game experience. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:47 AM, WiseKwacker said:

the real eyeball comparison is best made when each one is playing alongside the same set of teammates and against the same set of teammates on the opposite side of the ball.

Whoa whoa whoa.... that makes entirely to much sense. We can not expect our coaches to do anything that makes sense!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The rotating depth chart isn't much of a depth chart. Pretty much the only group that is settled on offense right now may be the offensive line because of the amount of expirence of those players playing together and how Klemm wants a consistent unit. 

Brown was coronated as the starting QB last spring. This coaching staff wants there to be an actual competition and if that is to happen then they need to see how each quarterback works with each grouping of players. I'm using grouping here and not string because it really looks like everything is still in motion. 

It's spring... Let the players play and show off what they have learned and how much they have grown. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I echo others here that it's likely DL is rotating the QBs for a couple reasons: continued and fair evaluation for each with comparable personnel to work with and to keep each engaged to minimize transfer risk.

That being said, I think it can't be discounted that maybe Butters is starting to flourish in the kind of offense Dillingham is putting together.  He's the only pro-style QB (top 5 in his recruiting class) in what's claiming to be a fast-tempo pro-style system, plus he has an extra year in the college ranks over TT.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

While I don't doubt Butters is not that far behind, if behind at all, to Nix and Ty, I don't think we really know who is ahead of who or behind who at this point.

Lanning and Dillingham have been clear it's an open competition with all three taking reps with different groupings of team mates. 

Let's see who performs well in the Spring Game, but even then I think we'll only know who the QB starter for next season a weak or 10 days before September 3. At that guy is going to have two guys hot on his heals.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, DUCati855 said:

Whoa whoa whoa.... that makes entirely to much sense. We can not expect our coaches to do anything that makes sense!

That’s exactly what I expect out of our new coaching staff is to do things that make since. It goes clear back to not going after Tua. That made perfect sense and we’ve been dealing with coaches and bad decisions ever since. I’m with you DUCati on this subject for sure. Just because Mark, Slick, and MC were coaches doesn’t mean they were suited for the head coaching position hopefully Mullen’s got it correct this time. Time will tell but I like what I’m seeing so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 AM, Tandaian said:

Bo Nix transferred to Oregon, so if anybody should be taking 3rd string reps, it is Bo.  If he were to transfer again, he'd have to sit out a year.  I think Lanning is trying to keep all QBs engaged.

Nix has been at a qb at football factory in the SEC, and it could be how they are handling themselves in meeting, intangibles, etc., etc.Plus, we have a new coach, so everyone is new to him. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

It very well could be that Ty isn't worthy of his 5* rating. Maybe MC was more right than wrong about not putting Ty in when fans thought he should've.

Bringing Bo in pretty much guarantee's the offense will not sputter to start the season. A wise move by Lanning. 

If Ty was all that he's been hyped to be then there wouldn't be a need to bring Bo in.

Agree. If we had anyone other than MC as coach last year, then we'd feel comfortable saying the Thompson didn't play because he wasn't ready, but we learned to question MC's offensive decision making. But, it may well be that Mario was correct in not playing Thompson last year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I will add if the previous staff had developed the, or a, back-up, we may not have needed Bo. Because we had nobody with game experience, and play Georgia, in Atlanta game one, the new staff was left with no other good choice.

What this staff is doing isn't so much as brilliant, just what an astute coaching staff should do. You have a competition, always a competition, and develop the talent. Without a real competition and development I am astounded Ty and Butters stuck around.

I suppose the fact Mario could sell ice to Eskimos is the only logical explanation.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:47 AM, WiseKwacker said:

It doesn't seem like it's commonly done this way, but, if I'm a coach who's evaluating a specific position, I'd want to see all the potential players performing under similar circumstances as much as possible. Although you can judge a player's mastery of the playbook by just watching them perform with a random group of teammates, it seems to me that the real eyeball comparison is best made when each one is playing alongside the same set of teammates and against the same set of teammates on the opposite side of the ball. Thus, rotating all three of the QB candidates through reps with the first team makes sense to me while the evaluation process is still underway.  But what do I know?

Agree, it could be whole lot about nothing. But man, it sure gives us stuff to talk about!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Ty doesn't see 3rd string on this roster ever. He may have come from a smaller school, and his star rating might just be slightly over-valued but he is talented none-the-less. He knows this and will transfer the second he isn't in contention for the starting gig. Other schools would be happy to open a much clearer path to the starting job knowing he's coming their way.

Unless something drastic happens, like we find out he simply cannot comprehend Dillingham's offense; he winds up no lower than 2nd string. Is he better than Bo Nix? Probably too close to call. He IS flat out better than Jay Butterfield.

But, do we really know if he is better than Butterfield? He may be the more gifted athlete but first and foremost a QB has to be able to pass the football, which is something Butterfield is good at, so I've heard. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I expect the QB competition to go well into 'fall' practice. 

Of course Ty could end up 3rd string but so could every guy in the QB room. The CFB off season is so long that us fans have a tendency to make far too big a deal out of spring practice and the spring game. 

Totally agree, but the idea of Thompson falling to 3rd hasn't really crossed the minds of Duck fans, so just wanted to peeps to be prepared for anything. ; )

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, Drake said:

Too early for the coaches to make the decision of exactly where people are on the QB depth chart. Until guys play meaningful minutes you never know who can manage the game and their emotions on game day. We have had highly touted QBs before that never played a game.

Butterfield is a smart kid. He may not be that far behind any of the other QBs.

We do need to get someone besides Nix game experience this year. It will be interesting to see how the coaches handle that situation. I was disappointed with the last coaching staff and the limited opportunities that they provided to our young QBs to gain game experience. 

Would have been nice to see others get some PT. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, David Marsh said:

The rotating depth chart isn't much of a depth chart. Pretty much the only group that is settled on offense right now may be the offensive line because of the amount of expirence of those players playing together and how Klemm wants a consistent unit. 

Brown was coronated as the starting QB last spring. This coaching staff wants there to be an actual competition and if that is to happen then they need to see how each quarterback works with each grouping of players. I'm using grouping here and not string because it really looks like everything is still in motion. 

It's spring... Let the players play and show off what they have learned and how much they have grown. 

No doubt, it's open competition at this point, but interesting to see how things are being handled by Lanning. 

On 4/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, kirklandduck said:

I echo others here that it's likely DL is rotating the QBs for a couple reasons: continued and fair evaluation for each with comparable personnel to work with and to keep each engaged to minimize transfer risk.

That being said, I think it can't be discounted that maybe Butters is starting to flourish in the kind of offense Dillingham is putting together.  He's the only pro-style QB (top 5 in his recruiting class) in what's claiming to be a fast-tempo pro-style system, plus he has an extra year in the college ranks over TT.  

Yeah, athleticism is great, but gotta be able to read defenses and make accurate throws, could be Butterfield is ahead in this area. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love all three of these guys....we are fortunate to have these choices.  Butterfield has looked the more natural passer and reader of defenses, but Ty clearly has the physical skillset.  Nix has SEC conference experience and knowledge of the offense clearly a capable high quality college QB.

With Georgia and BYU up in Games 1 and 2, and a first-year coach, you have to think Nix is the odds-on favorite to start.  If not, then he was beaten out by a QB with NFL potential.  

Someone will have a tough decision to make after Spring.  Maybe potential QB recruits are waiting to see how things shake out before committing.  If someone transfers, another program is going to get a great QB....

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/19/2022 at 11:27 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Yeah, athleticism is great, but gotta be able to read defenses and make accurate throws

This!

QB is the one position that is much more than being a great athlete. Many of the greatest QBs of all time were not great athletes.... But, they all had great minds that could process all the moving parts of the game quickly. Ty even admitted a week or two ago that things are finally starting to click. Hopefully, this portion of his game will catch up to his athleticism.

Edited by DUCati855

Coming out of spring I see Bo as the starter. Too much ability and experience for Ty and Butters to overcome. Bo is gifted yet inconsistent at times.

I don't know that Lanning is obligated to name a 2 or 3. Starter yes. If Ducks put up sizable lead I could see either backup get plugged in with next man on deck when next opportunity arises.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really think the coaches will play it close to the vest all the way up to the first game in regard to who is the no 1 quarterback.  They will probably let all know the competition is ongoing and both Ty and Jay are neck and neck, and Bo is just slightly ahead.  We really need all of these guys to stick around, if possible. 

We know Bo is here for the long haul and most likely starts against Georgia and BYU.   I suspect the Eastern Washington game we will see alot of both Jay and Ty.   Then once the Pac-12 schedule starts I'm guessing Bo is the guy but that doesn't mean Jay or Ty can't continue to improve and take over the no 1 spot later in the season.  And probably Bo goes down at some point with an injury (minor not trying to jinx things here just statistically speaking pretty likely) so someone will have to step up at that point and could be the guy for the remainder of the season.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still rooting for Robbie Ashford, oh wait................We have the potential this year to be down to one scholarship QB and that is without injuries. Perhaps we will end up running an offense like Army.

Thanks Darren, great food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

We have the potential this year to be down to one scholarship QB and that is without injuries.

Unfortunately, so does every other team, with the popularity of the transfer portal.  Guys who don't get selected as the starter may just up and leave, because it's so easy and seems so promising. 

About the only way it's probable to have a true succession without much risk of the backup leaving is either to have a guy who CLEARLY is not as good as #1 - and he knows it - so he's happy to be #2 in a big-time program, or to have a senior starter with a freshman backup who is willing to be patient as the heir apparent.  I think the days where you recruit and keep a big-time QB every year or every other year are gone. 

Who wants to ride the pine for two years when you can just transfer to someplace and have a much greater chance of immediate PT?  Who's going to wait for three years for one year as a starter?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Unfortunately, so does every other team, with the popularity of the transfer portal.  Guys who don't get selected as the starter may just up and leave, because it's so easy and seems so promising. 

About the only way it's probable to have a true succession without much risk of the backup leaving is either to have a guy who CLEARLY is not as good as #1 - and he knows it - so he's happy to be #2 in a big-time program, or to have a senior starter with a freshman backup who is willing to be patient as the heir apparent.  I think the days where you recruit and keep a big-time QB every year or every other year are gone. 

Who wants to ride the pine for two years when you can just transfer to someplace and have a much greater chance of immediate PT?  Who's going to wait for three years for one year as a starter?

And, the lure of needing to play in a major program to impress the NFL scouts is really a thing of the past as evidenced by guys like Josh Allen, Trey Lance, Malik Willis, Carson Strong and others. Thus, any of these three guys could likely identify a college team where he could transfer and become an instant starter, and, importantly, show his skillset to pro scouts.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

First team varies day to day.  Alert the Auburn writers that Bo Nix has fallen to third string.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

I am still rooting for Robbie Ashford, oh wait................We have the potential this year to be down to one scholarship QB and that is without injuries. Perhaps we will end up running an offense like Army.

Thanks Darren, great food for thought.

Robbie balled out in the Auburn spring game and has a real shot to be the starting QB at Auburn this season.

At Army (Navy + Air Force) every player is being paid.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, DUCati855 said:

This!

QB is the one position that is much more than being a great athlete. Many of the greatest QBs of all time were not great athletes.... But, they all had great minds that could process all the moving parts of the game quickly. Ty even admitted a week or two ago that things are finally starting to click. Hopefully, this portion of his game will catch up to his athleticism.

Yup, that's why I brought up Tua vs Mac Jones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:18 AM, Darren Perkins said:

But, do we really know if he is better than Butterfield?

I keep hoping to see that Butterfield winds up in the 225-230lb. range. With that size and arm he would undoubtedly resemble a "kid" that played here a few years back. He would only add to his arm strength while also being hard to bring down. I would love to see him running with the Ones in that scenario. He still looks scrawny like JH did his freshman year; which is saying something about Herbert's natural size coming into college.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 AM, Tandaian said:

In this day and age I try to think of it less as "Player X transferred from School A to School B," and more along the lines of "Player X was picked up in the Waiver Wire by team B," or "Player X was traded from team A to Team B for nothing in return." In this sense, college football is becoming more like NFL Fantasy Football. It can be fun for the fans and for the players (if they become famous), but I suppose it does lessen the spirit of college sports. That said, I don't think Bo Nix should be handicapped just because he's late to the party. He already put his time in risking his body in "The League".

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thanks 3

Yeah, athleticism is great, but gotta be able to read defenses and make accurate throws, could be Butterfield is ahead in this area. 

Donte Thornton lights up when asked about Butterfield.  “I love Butterfield.  When his time comes he’s going to show a lot of people he’s a great quarterback”.

skip to 5:25 of the video

• Like 1

Me in 2022: "We have two Rivals five star quarterbacks and one four star top 100 QB on the roster competing for playing time."

Me in my heyday of being a teen fan of Ducks football (1980's): "What have you been smoking??"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Orebcker said:

Donte Thornton lights up when asked about Butterfield.  “I love Butterfield.  When his time comes he’s going to show a lot of people he’s a great quarterback”.

skip to 5:25 of the video

Translation, just give the ball to any of our qb's and let him throw it and I will go get it, or block like a mother for my brother who catches it. I just want to ball out!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 5:14 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Yup, that's why I brought up Tua vs Mac Jones. 

And how about Hurts being benched in the 2nd half of the playoff champ game vs UGA and Tua bringing Bama back?

If Nix improves his accuracy (fundamentals in my opinion, he seems careless at times when he throws the ball), he will easily win the job.

It does sound like the coaches are giving TT plenty of shots to take the helm, and he isn't ( looking and playing elite enough that is), while Butterfield is more of a natural that really can't be overlooked (and is probably executing as well as TT and thus keeping up with him). 

High performance is all that matters.  OBD can have an explosive offense if these guys execute. 

• Thumbs Up 2

From Canzano via Twitter:

Nick Aliotti ranked the Oregon Ducks' QBs just off the spring game performances:

1. Bo Nix
2. Jay Butterfield
3. Ty Thompson

I do believe we will have two years of Nix followed by a Butterfield campaign. Thompson hits the portal. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tom Brady is an excellent QB, but his bread and butter is boring plays to exciting playmakers. Its mostly between the ears

Agreed…….Tom Brady, the most successful quarterback in NFL history, is hardly a great athlete. Decision making, poise under pressure, and of course the ability to accurately deliver a catchable ball, are all much more important than athleticism.

Butterfield seems to play with less fear of incoming than does Thompson.