FishDuck Article

BOOM or BUST? How Lanning Can Silence the Doubters

Will Rob Mullens' gamble pay off for Oregon fans?

Dan-Lanning-2_Oregon-Athletics_FP-300x30
FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning was a risky hire. The 36-year-old former defensive coordinator has no head coaching experience, and frankly, he has little experience as a...

• Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great take Joshua! But did you have to rub-it-in with: "before this writer was born?" (KIDDING!) 

Yes. you have to score points to win in CFB today. The final score for UGA in the Natty was an pick 6 but UGA played far better O vs Bama in the champ game than in the SEC title game.

Smart, unlike Pruitt, is a heck of a recruiter without handing McDonalds bags full of money to recruits. (One wonders if Tennessee will be dinged for this and other illegal recruiting in today's environment? Can the Ducks get its schollies back for Chip using a 'runner?'  Talk about selective enforcement!)

Dan to date has made great hires among making all the right moves. I hope Ducks fans will evidence patience if necessary, with Dan. It took Kirby Smart 6 seasons to get over the Saban hump.

Thanks for another great take.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remove the name Lanning, and insert Kelly and you may have read a similar article 10 plus years ago. 

With great risk comes great rewards. Safe plays get you the average.

from what I have gleaned from available information every position coach was hand picked by DL as one of a band of brothers. Comments from current Ducks indicate a evolving culture. I have always believed if your job is to eat the elephant, don’t look at the size of the job, just do it one bite at a time.

“New shooter coming out!”

• Thumbs Up 3

Well written and thought out piece of writing. I will say the wild card is how well will/can he handle the variables which effect coaching is another question I will be watching. I think Chip Kelly handled the Blount incident incredibly well, and the team was under his control. The way Mario dealt with the airsoft gun incident, to me, was just another nail in his coffin. The little things, and big things were wearing away the program under Mario.

As stated most importantly can a DC get our offense off the ground. This isn't a little thing and an O-line coach couldn't. I think this could be the most intriguing question of the season. Can we create some magic, or just out coach the opposing defenses we face. We are completely unproven on this side of the ball at qb, coach, coordinator, and most importantly scheme.

I do go back to the wild card which will undoubtedly pop up with this young coach. Every leader is challenged by a situation which loudly, or quietly defines them by the players, and fanbase. I don't know what it will be, but something will create a crisis and how will Dan Lanning handle it. There are also countless little things, but we don't often see that. 

From calling timeouts, to the airlift incident this blindspot for Mario showed the inner workings of the dysfunctional side of Mario. He sold many on the fact that he was the field general, but we could see from his game management he didn't have it as a coach. We also thought he was an amazing manager of players, but the airlift gun incident gave us an insight into just how he managed the student athletes.

All these wildcards which happen in games and while coaching add up to the 'it' of coaching. Does Dan have it to handle the gametime decisions and program management of 85 plus college students. The little things just might add up to big things, and hopefully continuing our, now, bias that Coach Lanning is the real deal. I think they will, but he is unproven in the little things that happen as a person which can become huge as a leader of young men.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Joshua, as always thank you and all the writers for taking the time to write and present these articles. 

Scoring more points than your opponents has always been the goal for football coaches. But that is easier said than done. IMHO it starts with assembling a great staff that believes in you as the head coach. A staff that supports your vision and plan for all 3 phases of the game.

That staff best bring in top recruits and have a passion to develope those players skill sets.

Then Coach Lanning needs to let his coordinators coach and execute the game plan. Win or lose, the players need to see the HC and staff on the same page. 

The previous HC often talked about scoring alot of points but throttled down his OC. The result was the near destruction of a well oiled, high performing offense. Charles sounded the alarm very early on.....

So far Coach Lanning is making some good decisions. Good hires have brought in great recruits. Now we have to wait and see if the staff and players have truly bought in.

After the game in Pullman we will have a good idea of how well the coaches can make in game adjustments. Also how well the players are being developed and whether or not the offense will attempt explosion plays.

More importantly can the team execute those explosion plays and put points on the board. Lots of points.

We wont really know for a few years whether Coach Lanning will be a great hire, an average hire or a bust. Its to early in his journey as a HC.....

Be patient Duck fans because their will be ups and downs along the way. By all accounts Dan Lanning really appears genuine and humble.

That in itself is a good start.......

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Lanning does have head-coaching experience. Not in football, but he once led what he said was a “damn good” third grade basketball team. 😄

• Haha 5
  • Like 1

As with most things in life, I'm cautiously optimistic. I get there's nothing sexy or intriguing about a "wait and see" attitude, but a lesson I learned from my ex-wife is that jumping in blindly with full faith doesn't always work out so well either. I believe in what he's doing and like what I've seen so far, but I'll (enthusiastically) wait on the sidelines and cheer while I see how this thing turns out 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:35 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Remove the name Lanning, and insert Kelly and you may have read a similar article 10 plus years ago. 

I am going to politely disagree on this one; Lanning has already shown that he and his staff will be 10 times the recruiters that Chip Kelly and his staff were, IMHO. 

Kelly not only had an offensive system, but was showing everyone else how to do it.  Meanwhile I am waiting for the Spring Game and this fall to truly know what Dillingham is going to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

A really nice piece of writing, Joshua. Thanks for your work. And, agreeing with Jon Joseph above, your comment, "...they won their first national title since before this writer was born," made this guy, currently celebrating his 70th birthday, do a double-take. 

As each day rolls by, I gain more and more confidence in Dan-Lan. I'm steadily gaining confidence that, when those inevitable mistakes and stumbles occur, this guy has the under-control-ego to learn from his mistakes and to show a bit of humility that will allow the team and its fans to move past the transgressions.  We'll see...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/20/2022 at 11:20 AM, Wrathis said:

As with most things in life, I'm cautiously optimistic. I get there's nothing sexy or intriguing about a "wait and see" attitude, but a lesson I learned from my ex-wife is that jumping in blindly with full faith doesn't always work out so well either. I believe in what he's doing and like what I've seen so far, but I'll (enthusiastically) wait on the sidelines and cheer while I see how this thing turns out 🙂

Definition of a second marriage: Hope over Experience.

• Haha 2

I love how it's going so far for Lanning at Oregon. He wasn't on the short list when the search began, or maybe not even on the long list, but he got the job, at around the same time Riley was hired at USC, setting up a huge rivalry. 

Aside from Oklahoma, everybody seems to love the Riley hire at USC. The Trojans aren't being picked for the Playoffs, well except for Colin Cowherd, but nowhere have I seen a caution flag, a this might not work, about Riley at USC.

Lanning, while not missing a step has in comparison gone about his business under the radar, and that couldn't be any better, for Oregon or Lanning. The Oregon brand is still strong, but it's showing its resilience while USC is shouting and jumping up and down to get noticed again. 

By the way, Russell Wilson just bought a new place in Denver. It only cost $14 M while Riley spent $17 M, for his in LA, both have 12 bathrooms.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, cartm25 said:
On 4/20/2022 at 9:46 AM, 30Duck said:

" both have 12 bathrooms. "

Sounds like prostate issues to me...

• Haha 3

On 4/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, woundedknees said:

Exactly, 4 bedrooms and 12 bathrooms, what is up with that? My house has 4 bedrooms and I can assure there isn't even 4 bathrooms. Sounds like they built a bunch of bathrooms and added some bedrooms. Do the dogs of the wealthy have bathrooms too?

I suppose I do have 4 bathrooms as I have been known to use the outdoor one on occasion. I suppose with 12 bathrooms that is out of the question. The difference between the truly rich and us common folks. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love how it's going so far for Lanning at Oregon. He wasn't on the short list when the search began, or maybe not even on the long list, but he got the job, at around the same time Riley was hired at USC, setting up a huge rivalry. 

Aside from Oklahoma, everybody seems to love the Riley hire at USC. The Trojans aren't being picked for the Playoffs, well except for Colin Cowherd, but nowhere have I seen a caution flag, a this might not work, about Riley at USC.

Lanning, while not missing a step has in comparison gone about his business under the radar, and that couldn't be any better, for Oregon or Lanning. The Oregon brand is still strong, but it's showing its resilience while USC is shouting and jumping up and down to get noticed again. 

By the way, Russell Wilson just bought a new place in Denver. It only cost $14 M while Riley spent $17 M, for his in LA, both have 12 bathrooms.  

Wilson’s new house is 20,000 square feet, 4 bedrooms and, yes, 12 bathrooms.

He actually paid $25 million for it, supposedly the highest price ever for the Denver area.

Bathrooms are expensive!

• Haha 2

I have 14 big fir trees and several large maples maybe need a real bathroom on occasion. 

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe you have to also look at what was left in the cupboard when assessing the success of a new head coach coming in.

Also what was the standing of the team. Were they already at the upper eschelon of their league and CFB.

Also the coaching staff and the other parts of the program. Are they held in high esteem by their peers and the best minds in CFB.

The Ducks check all of these boxes. This lessons the chance for failure IMHO. That is why I'm so gungho.

It maybe green and yellow glasses that I'm looking through but I truly don't think so.

I have stated this numerous times.

We are going to shock the naysayers this coming year.  We have all the things you need for a successful season and future. 

Go Ducks Fly High

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 1:59 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe you have to also look at what was left in the cupboard when assessing the success of a new head coach coming in.

Also what was the standing of the team. Were they already at the upper eschelon of their league and CFB.

Also the coaching staff and the other parts of the program. Are they held in high esteem by their peers and the best minds in CFB.

This is what absolutely confuses me about the expectations from USC vs OBD! Our cupboard was FAR from bare, and we've been as (or moreso) successful as USC over the last 20 years. Despite this, the expectations are still SKY HIGH for USC and we're completely under the radar. 

Granted, I much prefer to be under the radar and impress than to be the subject of soaring expectations and disappoint, but I can't fathom why they're being viewed with such higher expectations. The differences (as I see them) are that yes, USC is a "blue-blood" and Riley DOES have head-coaching experience, but he also has no offensive line to protect Williams, an unproven back-up in Moss and a decimated defense that can't really hold water.

Someone help me out here (hopefully that nice, new USC fan who's been so pleasant)

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, DUCKED said:

Wilson’s new house is 20,000 square feet, 4 bedrooms and, yes, 12 bathrooms.

He actually paid $25 million for it, supposedly the highest price ever for the Denver area.

Bathrooms are expensive!

Bladder control issue??  Or perhaps an unhealthy addiction to overly spicy food?

Edited by kirklandduck

I believe it's they are in la la land and won a natty or 2.

It's always been that way. To get national respect u have to have won a natty even if it was centeries ago.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:29 PM, kirklandduck said:

Bladder control issue??  Or perhaps an unhealthy addiction to overly spicy food?

No worries on Wilson's part, he is selling his seattle home for over $30 million and his wife has a pretty good job too. I agree, what do you do with 12 bathrooms other than keep housekeeping, plumbers and remodelers busy?

On 4/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, Wrathis said:

This is what absolutely confuses me about the expectations from USC vs OBD! Our cupboard was FAR from bare, and we've been as (or moreso) successful as USC over the last 20 years. Despite this, the expectations are still SKY HIGH for USC and we're completely under the radar. 

Granted, I much prefer to be under the radar and impress than to be the subject of soaring expectations and disappoint, but I can't fathom why they're being viewed with such higher expectations. The differences (as I see them) are that yes, USC is a "blue-blood" and Riley DOES have head-coaching experience, but he also has no offensive line to protect Williams, an unproven back-up in Moss and a decimated defense that can't really hold water.

Someone help me out here (hopefully that nice, new USC fan who's been so pleasant)

The DL? A big (players too small) problem at SC. But the OL in 2021 gave up only 18 sacks on the season, and that was playing in front of a QB far less mobile than is Caleb Williams. SC rushed at 4.4 yards per attempt last season which is not terrible.

The OT SC is bringing in from the portal at tackle from UVA was 2nd team All-ACC and he joins 4 returning starters. Thin numbers wise but good quality with the starting 5.

I expect SC will put up lots of points but will the D be able to stop anyone?

On 4/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

No worries on Wilson's part, he is selling his seattle home for over $30 million and his wife has a pretty good job too. I agree, what do you do with 12 bathrooms other than keep housekeeping, plumbers and remodelers busy?

More space to hide the money?

both have 12 bathrooms.  

I guess he can only have either the offense or defense over at the same time!

• Haha 1

So far like his predecessor Lanning is winning the off season. Bringing in big recruits and getting the fan base hyped for next season. That is the glory of sports, especially college sports, a bad season is washed away by hope for the next season. 

Let's just hope that Lanning is better than Cristobal in delivering is a better season. 

Cristobal-v-Stony-Brook-2021-Craig-Strob
FISHDUCK.COM

Mario Cristobal will be Oregon's head coach in 2022. The only way this doesn't happen is if he opts to leave for another program, which is highly unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take Joshua! But did you have to rub-it-in with: "before this writer was born?" (KIDDING!) 

Yes. you have to score points to win in CFB today. The final score for UGA in the Natty was an pick 6 but UGA played far better O vs Bama in the champ game than in the SEC title game.

Smart, unlike Pruitt, is a heck of a recruiter without handing McDonalds bags full of money to recruits. (One wonders if Tennessee will be dinged for this and other illegal recruiting in today's environment? Can the Ducks get its schollies back for Chip using a 'runner?'  Talk about selective enforcement!)

Dan to date has made great hires among making all the right moves. I hope Ducks fans will evidence patience if necessary, with Dan. It took Kirby Smart 6 seasons to get over the Saban hump.

Thanks for another great take.

Haha, that just means you have a lot more wisdom on me, Jon!

Patience is key. Success doesn't come over night.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, Flyin Vee said:

With great risk comes great rewards. Safe plays get you the average.

from what I have gleaned from available information every position coach was hand picked by DL as one of a band of brothers. Comments from current Ducks indicate a evolving culture. I have always believed if your job is to eat the elephant, don’t look at the size of the job, just do it one bite at a time.

“New shooter coming out!”

I certainly a proponent of taking risks in order to succeed in just about every area of life. This applies to college football especially.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

Well written and thought out piece of writing. I will say the wild card is how well will/can he handle the variables which effect coaching is another question I will be watching. I think Chip Kelly handled the Blount incident incredibly well, and the team was under his control. The way Mario dealt with the airsoft gun incident, to me, was just another nail in his coffin. The little things, and big things were wearing away the program under Mario.

As stated most importantly can a DC get our offense off the ground. This isn't a little thing and an O-line coach couldn't. I think this could be the most intriguing question of the season. Can we create some magic, or just out coach the opposing defenses we face. We are completely unproven on this side of the ball at qb, coach, coordinator, and most importantly scheme.

I do go back to the wild card which will undoubtedly pop up with this young coach. Every leader is challenged by a situation which loudly, or quietly defines them by the players, and fanbase. I don't know what it will be, but something will create a crisis and how will Dan Lanning handle it. There are also countless little things, but we don't often see that. 

From calling timeouts, to the airlift incident this blindspot for Mario showed the inner workings of the dysfunctional side of Mario. He sold many on the fact that he was the field general, but we could see from his game management he didn't have it as a coach. We also thought he was an amazing manager of players, but the airlift gun incident gave us an insight into just how he managed the student athletes.

All these wildcards which happen in games and while coaching add up to the 'it' of coaching. Does Dan have it to handle the gametime decisions and program management of 85 plus college students. The little things just might add up to big things, and hopefully continuing our, now, bias that Coach Lanning is the real deal. I think they will, but he is unproven in the little things that happen as a person which can become huge as a leader of young men.

Hayward, this is a very, very good point, and one that often gets overlooked. I think the X's and O's are actually less important to being a good coach than managing people and handling situations. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:54 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Joshua, as always thank you and all the writers for taking the time to write and present these articles. 

Scoring more points than your opponents has always been the goal for football coaches. But that is easier said than done. IMHO it starts with assembling a great staff that believes in you as the head coach. A staff that supports your vision and plan for all 3 phases of the game.

That staff best bring in top recruits and have a passion to develope those players skill sets.

Then Coach Lanning needs to let his coordinators coach and execute the game plan. Win or lose, the players need to see the HC and staff on the same page. 

The previous HC often talked about scoring alot of points but throttled down his OC. The result was the near destruction of a well oiled, high performing offense. Charles sounded the alarm very early on.....

So far Coach Lanning is making some good decisions. Good hires have brought in great recruits. Now we have to wait and see if the staff and players have truly bought in.

After the game in Pullman we will have a good idea of how well the coaches can make in game adjustments. Also how well the players are being developed and whether or not the offense will attempt explosion plays.

More importantly can the team execute those explosion plays and put points on the board. Lots of points.

We wont really know for a few years whether Coach Lanning will be a great hire, an average hire or a bust. Its to early in his journey as a HC.....

Be patient Duck fans because their will be ups and downs along the way. By all accounts Dan Lanning really appears genuine and humble.

That in itself is a good start.......

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this, thank you for reading and commenting!

On 4/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, 30Duck said:

I do agree that I'm a fan of falling under the radar. And I'm also equally as baffled by Russell Wilson's need for 12 (!) bathrooms haha.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, WiseKwacker said:

A really nice piece of writing, Joshua. Thanks for your work. And, agreeing with Jon Joseph above, your comment, "...they won their first national title since before this writer was born," made this guy, currently celebrating his 70th birthday, do a double-take. 

As each day rolls by, I gain more and more confidence in Dan-Lan. I'm steadily gaining confidence that, when those inevitable mistakes and stumbles occur, this guy has the under-control-ego to learn from his mistakes and to show a bit of humility that will allow the team and its fans to move past the transgressions.  We'll see...

70? PUP!

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:51 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

Hayward, this is a very, very good point, and one that often gets overlooked. I think the X's and O's are actually less important to being a good coach than managing people and handling situations. 

And having Tom Brady at QB?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1