FishDuck Article

(FishDuck Article) What you MUST KNOW about the Tim DeRuyter Defense

The Oregon Ducks have hired Coach Tim DeRuyter to fill their vacant defensive coordinator position. Coach DeRuyter has spent the last four seasons as DC for the California Golden Bears, where his defensive units have given the rest of the Pac-12 headaches. He took over what was the 127th nationally ranked scoring defense the year before he arrived in Berkeley, ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good information coach. Thanks for bringing it to us. 

One question I have is when you say that Kayvon Thibodeaux will be one of the stand up edge rushers. Kayvon is not known as a pass defender so wouldn't that be a big tip off to the offense that he is a rusher and not going into pass defense, thus removing any "guessing" done by the offense ??  I wouldn't expect to see Kayvon do any pass defense as it's "just not his thing". 

4 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Good information coach. Thanks for bringing it to us. 

One question I have is when you say that Kayvon Thibodeaux will be one of the stand up edge rushers. Kayvon is not known as a pass defender so wouldn't that be a big tip off to the offense that he is a rusher and not going into pass defense, thus removing any "guessing" done by the offense ??  I wouldn't expect to see Kayvon do any pass defense as it's "just not his thing". 

Since writing this article, I have read a clinic where Coach DeRuyter talked about his defense, so I’m going to be doing a second article where I breakdown his base alignment and each position. He broke down each position and what type of player he wants at each. 

The position I think KT will play is titled Joker. It’s similar to the stud position in Coach Avalos’ defense. The Joker is the best pass rusher on the team. He does have some pass coverage responsibilities, but it always seems to be zone. KT also played some Sam LB this past season, and has had time at Stud, so I thing his education there has already started. 

• Thumbs Up 1

“Nightmare” in Autzen would be a dream come true. Welcome Coach DeRuyter. Go Ducks. Thanks Coach Boles.

Hey Coach Boles, nice article. This sounds like a great addition.

To delve into the fine points of the Coach DeRuyter defense later, you first have to start with the basics and this article is a superb foundation piece to all the articles coming later.  What I love is how easy Coach Boles makes it to learn this, and we will have a section devoted to the DeRuyter defense in the Analysis Library in our sister site, FishDuck.

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

Popo Aumavae will enjoy this new defense--I'm certain!
(Is that the coolest picture ever of Popo about to make the big sack at the end of the 2019 Washington game?  The timing by photographer Tom Corno was superb...)

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you very much Coach! Great article, and I look forward to the next one.

Thanks for the great article coach Boles. I have a fond spot in my heart for the five man front because that was what I was taught in high school (so I have a good understanding of it!)

I was the second-string "anchor" end, or strong side linebacker, and often got lined up in practice across from my friend, who was our biggest tackle and was a walk-on for the ducks for a few years.

A few times, after a scrimmage play, he would bellow at me G** D****T!, Stop pinching me!

I told him - I'm not pinching you, I'm holding on so you don't knock me on my rear!

This is why I was NOT a walk on Duck!

• Haha 2

Haven't seen this one linked here, some nice background on coach TD:

https://www.dailycal.org/2017/11/04/change-coming-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter-bears-walking/

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherOD said:

Whoa.  He learned from Coach LeBeau?  That guy is the GURU of the 3-4 defense...

Mr. FishDuck

2 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

https://www.dailycal.org/2017/11/04/change-coming-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter-bears-walking/

This highlights him as a real level headed friend and smart coach. Good attributes. 

I'm not sure if this article has been linked about coach Deruyter.  Seems like quite a few football people think highly of Tim Deruyter.

https://autzenzoo.com/2021/01/22/oregon-football-ducks-hire-tim-deruyter-defensive-coordinator/

55 minutes ago, Tandaian said:

I'm not sure if this article has been linked about coach Deruyter.  Seems like quite a few football people think highly of Tim Deruyter.

https://autzenzoo.com/2021/01/22/oregon-football-ducks-hire-tim-deruyter-defensive-coordinator/

He is highly regarded. I’m excited to see his defense in action next season. 

Jeesh, the disrespect for the Big 12 in this article lol. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles