Charles Fischer

Official Spring Game Thread!

I thought we would have a thread for those who like to comment/discuss through the game.  No bets on who wins...as Oregon always wins!

So, do you like what you are seeing?

2021 Spring Game Congrats_Pac12 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

More empty seats than I expected.  No Pac-12 network so will be following this thread with interest.

I was hoping the fan turnout would be much better than what we see.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

I was hoping the fan turnout would be much better than what we see.

There is over 30,000, they said fans still piling in   Will see what the actual attendance end up being.

I will have a copy of the game for those who want it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Nix is looking pretty good!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thompson looks like the inexperienced kid he is...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2022 at 2:01 PM, McDuck said:

More empty seats than I expected.  No Pac-12 network so will be following this thread with interest.

I am watching on the PAC-12 network.  It followed the Utah game.  Bo has all the tools - but he needs to take better care on his throws.

My impression so far after the Utah game and part of a half in Eugene  - take the over when Utah and Oregon play!

OH NO! 

The weather is, "Honey, we gotta move out of California and move there!' good!

Nice to see Nick A on the call. Pretty good turn out. 

Love the aggressive and fun play calling!

Rich Brooks, looking good my fellow grey beard.

Got the coin in the air much better than the majority of my golf shots!

Coach Dan: Thanks for re-recruiting SEVEN!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 4/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, NJDuck said:

There is over 30,000, they said fans still piling in   Will see what the actual attendance end up being.

Great call. Looks like lots of fans were taking advantage of great tailgate weather.

LOVE watching the game being played in the daylight and not kicking off at 10:30 on the Right Coast.

• Go Ducks! 1

They're going fast. I missed it so much! Is it perfect? Not by a longshot. But is it a great foundation to be built upon going forward? Absolutely, I've seen everything I needed to see from both sides of the ball. Can't wait til the fall.

Both Ds are looking good, especially for a spring game.

Have family emergency, recording the game. Is everyone staying healthy?

Someone woke up the defenses after a couple sluggish possessions.

Bo Nix doing what Bo Nix does - Looks good for a couple series and then makes a throw that makes you say, "What in the h, e, double hockey sticks was that"!

Noah Wittington and Chase Cota are putting up the effort.  

Seven McGee is going to enjoy this offense.

Ty Thompson had a couple good reads and was faced with smaller windows than Bo for the most part.

I am concerned over the two injuries.  

Special teams...yeah, there still special.  

We'll see what happens in half #2.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jester said:

Someone woke up the defenses after a couple sluggish possessions.

Bo Nix doing what Bo Nix does - Looks good for a couple series and then makes a throw that makes you say, "What in the h, e, double hockey sticks was that"!

Noah Wittington and Chase Cota are putting up the effort.  

Seven McGee is going to enjoy this offense.

Ty Thompson had a couple good reads and was faced with smaller windows than Bo for the most part.

I am concerned over the two injuries.  

Special teams...yeah, there still special.  

We'll see what happens in half #2.  

Great call on Nix. He looks gimpy and so far, his play is a mirror of his career at Auburn. The starters on OL look good. Transfers Whittingham and Gonzalez both look good.

This team gets quality play at QB and gets the DL guys sitting out the game healthy and watch out.

One of the injuries looked like Caddy Shack, 'I should have yelled 2!" and not fore.

Ty's interception takes me back to his INT last season.  A crossing route that was behind a receiver. 

I thought it was illegal for a QB to line up under center. 🙂

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2

Im taking the QB play with a grain of salt because the O lines aren't looking all that great.

Wasn't the third quarter when the guest coaches called the plays?

Another interception by Thompson-

• Mic drop 1

1. Bo Nix

2. Butterfiield

3. Ty Thompson

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 9

I think Butterfield has a better grasp of this offense than Thompson does. The pro-style aspects of it play to his strengths. He was slinging it in the 2nd half. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

My takeaways:

- Receivers are a deep and very talented group. 

- D-Line was impressive...especially DJ Johnson. 

- Nix is the clear starter at QB going into to the fall.

- Seven McGee is going to be exciting to watch.

- Energy around the team seems really good.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

Chase Cota -- impressive.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

DJ Johnson will be a major problem on defense. So glad to see him back on that side of the ball!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/23/2022 at 6:52 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

DJ Johnson will be a major problem on defense. So glad to see him back on that side of the ball!

It's either that or the major problem may be our right tackle.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/23/2022 at 3:16 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

1. Bo Nix

2. Butterfiield

3. Ty Thompson

Completely agree. Despite throwing the worst pass of the entire game, Nix put up points.  He did enough to be No 1 heading into Fall camp

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:16 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

1. Bo Nix

2. Butterfiield

3. Ty Thompson

Agree or even butterfield #1 if we are purely evaluating passing 

Both lines were split up and its tough to see what qb can squirt out of the pocket when they call collapse.

I didnt see many screen plays or play action pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought DJ Johnson was the most impactful player on the field. McGee and Cota were also impressive.

While Nix may have emerged as the No. 1 quarterback, I wasn’t overly impressed . Throwing to a receiver with three defenders around him is inexcusable for a player with his experience. Makes me concerned about his decision making.

• Thumbs Up 1

Butterfield would get my nod. His receivers didn’t help him out. Bo and Ty both had their moments but were too inconsistent. It also will depend on which one the most mobile. The QB I believe will be big part of the running game. Coda mvp

Spring game highlights on YouTube

• Thumbs Up 2

I was there today. Announced attendance of 42K.  My take:

QB:  Nix was clear No.1 but had a couple poor decisions.   Impressed with Butterfields arm.  Wanted  so badly for  Ty  to take the job,  May have been third best .  Maybe now we do know why AB started after all.  Made me wonder if Ty’s late pick might just be his last game pass thrown as a Duck.  To be fair, QBs not allowed to run.  That part hard to evaluate. 

WRs:  3 words- Ducks Are Loaded.  The sophomores all got great separation and long ball PROWESS,  Hutson looked ok after the injury. Cota catches everything, already saw QBs use him as security blanket, should be clutch on third down.

Special note: Seven McGee might be Tyreek Hill. I thought he was MVP even on non catches due to “touch sacks”

RBs looked good.

Hard to evaluate Defense given schemes and rules but VERY ball hawkish.

Tempo: speed is back .  Offense is going to get playmakers in space.  This will be way more Chip than MC.

Overall: lots to work on but that is expected given it is April.  DEPTH is apparent.   Offense will score a lot. Defense: will make plays. Cannot eval PROWESS based on scheme and many starters who hardly played.

outlook: Will compete for  Pac12 title.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 4/23/2022 at 5:34 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Spring game highlights on YouTube

Thanks for sharing that!

My quick takeaway about the quarterbacks after watching and reading @AllOregon 's comment is that I am grateful that Nix transferred over. If he hadn't, I suspect we'd have Butterfield as the clear number one going into fall camp and the early date with Georgia, with Thompson as a backup not looking like he's quite ready for serious action yet. Hopefully TT stays around and keeps progressing.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ty, oh my?

A guy who looks great on the range but shaky at the first tee.

So many athletes on both sides of the ball and what looks like a staff and a system that will let them play ball.

No more of I'd rather punch you in the mouth and get 3 yards than run around you for a TD.

If Moorhead watched THIS he has to be sick to his stomach.

Thank you Mario for going MIA.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Nix looked like he had been there before, Ty looked like he needed a do over or two, and Butters looked like he has a touch I would like to hear what the receiver group thinks of. Nix made some nice, safe throws, when he was on, Ty made some bullets which shows his potential, but Butters was the one who just seemed to have the vision and touch you want in a starter. It is astounding these guys have been in the program this long and still look that raw.

The most exciting thing I saw was players flocking to Ngata, alumni on the sidelines, Brooks finally back openly supporting his Ducks. It just seemed like the Ducks are truly back, who knows how good they will be, but the Ducks of old are back. That is reassuring, and all I wanted to see. I am an excited Duck fan, again. 

But Hayward is beyond awesome, just wow! I am not sure there is a more beautiful, better designed sporting venue in the world. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

QB takeaways:

#1 Nix is #1;

#2 Too close to call which I hope means both Ty and Jay stick around to battle for #1 next year after a full year in Dilingham's system.  

#3 Based upon the non-contact aspect of QB play, we weren't able to see much in the way of rollouts or options.  So that may have something to do with the final priority.

This made me chuckle

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

The forward pass?  I don't care WHO you are....that's funny!

Mr. FishDuck