FishDuck Article

Critical Analysis: Oregon Spring Game Hits and Misses

An interesting Spring Game, with some items to ponder...

Sean-Dollars-runs-outside_Gary-Breedlove
FISHDUCK.COM

Like most observers of the Oregon Spring Game, I was pleased overall with the beginning of the Dan Lanning era. The discussion on our forum covered most of the...

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am slightly disappointed in our QBs, I do think Butterfield isnt that far off from Thompson and Nix.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Charles for putting some perspective to what we witnessed yesterday during the spring game.

Totally agree the game presented a mixed bag of good and not so good.

However, IMHO Coach Lanning didnt expose that much of what the end result will be or what we will see against Georgia. He simply let the players play and have fun. He let the fans have fun, too.........

This spring game appears to be the beginning of the end of the bad taste that MC left in our mouths. Not to mention our brains. No pistol! No 3 yards and the inevitable punt! Actual downfield pass attempts and actual completions.  

Once the starters are in place this summer the repetition in practice should pay dividends. There is a lot of talent on this team. The defense could be a monster to handle.

The D will have its hands full against Georgia. I watched the Georgia spring game. DAMN...... Their receivers get open and the returning starting QB was impressive. Their D could not stop him. But they handled the back ups pretty well. Again it was a spring game. But our QB's need to improve their decision making and accuracy against the Dawgs. Or it could be a long day in the hot, humid South for the Baby Ducks. Hope not........

Just an observation but Thompson didnt always work thru his progressions. He honed in on 1 receiver. He made it easy for the D. Needs to improve his accuracy and stop trying to just run the play. Work the defense and kerp yhem off bslance.

Butterfield did work thru his progressions and found the open receivers. Too many drops by those receivers hurt his numbers. But he appears to be ahead of TT......

Nix looked comfortable on the field. Soft, accurate throws and in command. But he is too far along in his career to make bonehead decisions. Hope he does a self check and starts to discipline his decision making.

All in all, a good start. Some red flags? Yes...... Nothing that cant be fixed. Go Ducks........

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Excellent observations Charles!  And thanks for writing it so quickly.

I had much criticism last year watching Mari (no O) and his plodding pistol offense.  My main concern was the lack of pass protection by HIS linemen!

They are built for bulldozer type work - straight ahead and double teaming and sliding off to pick up a linebacker.  

Too many times their attempts to block quick pass rushers looked like matadors at a bull fight last season!

Coach Klemm has made some improvements this spring.  I saw some good pockets early.  But as the game progressed with more pressure we all saw the potential for too many QB sacks.

I trust Coach to make improvements by September.  We may see some new personnel in the fall.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Great article Charles, lots of stuff to chew on. I absolutely agree with your hits and misses. However I think this staff is even smarter than we think. Stay with me here, these coaches see these young men on a daily basis.

They are constantly grading and evaluating their performance and effort. They know who is bought in and who isn't. While I totally agree with you about the way our O-line has been recruited and built. It may also be a process of tearing down some of the old regimes techniques and ways of thinking. This line has to think faster, and move faster.

Scheme plays a big part in how protections are structured, and coach Klemm may have the toughest job of all the coaches in gaining complete buy in from his group. Coach Mirabal (However we may feel about him and his allegiances) was a great motivator and trusted mentor to these young men. As a former lineman myself, and a current O-line coach, I know that even though you might say the right things and be teaching correct technique, if the players don't believe in you as a person, if they don't TRUST you, no progress or growth will be made. 

Between now and the fall is when these coaches will earn their money. Film study is key in showing the truth behind what he and all the other coaches have been saying. Can they get total buy in? I think a lot of the misses yesterday can be attributed to lack of buy in. I mean as much as we are impressed by this staff, these young men have only known them as their coaches for a few months. And they may interact with them completely opposite to the coaches they were recruited by and coached just months ago. 

So many great positives yesterday. I seen everything I wanted to see on the field. Great potential for explosive offense and lockdown defense. I didn't expect perfection or even for it to look as clean as it did. Very few penalties, and no sense of confusion or indecision that I seen. Now we find out why Dan Lanning was such a fast riser in the coaching ranks. Now we get to see if this staff is truly elite. Can they get total buy in? As you always say...Oh how we love to ponder about our beloved Ducks. 

Edited by Gizmoduck
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Spot on analysis Charles. I liked Cota’s ability to free himself up, but he can also catch the ball in a crowd. He is not a burner but if the Ducks are facing third and long he appears to be a reliable option. And D.J. ….. he has the quickest, lightest feet, and his initial burst is going to be tough for any tackle to contend with. Seven had his moments, too.

I thought the quarterback play was mediocre and frankly I was disappointed. I guess Bo is number one, but if so his spot is not secure. And, until you pointed it out, I wasn’t aware that the running game struggled as much as the stats indicate. 

Lanning and his staff have work to do, and identifying what needs to be addressed may be the biggest positive coming out of yesterday’s “scrimmage.”

• Thanks 1

I think the reason for the lopsided pass/run ratio was two-fold. 

1. 1.      There is a greater level of complexity to pass blocking vs. the run.  Even though the defense was somewhat vanilla, I did see a few stunts and overloads on a few reps.  This was a good opportunity to set a baseline                on  where the o-line stands in regard pass blocking schemes. 
  2. 2.      We’re all Tiger Woods on the driving range but what happens on the first tee?  It may have been just a glorified scrimmage, but this was taking reps. in a game situation, in front of 42K+ fans and television cameras                while knowing there will be lasting impressions of what you leave on the field today.  I think we all have a sense of where the QB’s stand at the moment, and I believe the coaches wanted a barometer for this as well.

What was the temp. in Eugene yesterday?  Based on all the t-shirts and the halter tops (not complaining) being worn I would guess close to 70, if not in the 70’s?  In today’s day and age, why were all the kickoffs not reaching the end zone, and was the 53 yard attempt short?  Couple that with one return I saw (blown dead) that may have been a house call, and I’m nervous about the kicking game.  How comfortable would you be if on the 19th of Nov. we were down two with 6 seconds left and we just spiked the ball (no timeouts left) at the Utah 26 yard line?  Cam, we’re rootin’ for you buddy, cuz my spidey senses tell me you’re going to be called upon to win a game this season. 

Couple quick shots:

1. 1.      Chad Cota looked as if he was playing for a starting position.  Nicely done.
  2. 2.      What a talent DJ is.  I liked him on the offensive side but certainly can’t find fault with his performance yesterday.  Nice first step off the ball. 
  3. 3.      There was a Harrison Taggart sighting.  Good to see him getting in the mix. 
  4. 4.      I was just glad to see Sean Dollars on the football field.  Good for that young man.
  5. 5.      Coach emphasizes explosive plays.  He got them on both sides of the ball and I can’t say “thank you” enough for getting the d*man ball down-the-field.

Ultimately, I think the Ducks come away from that game with many positives and definitive negatives.  Really, what more could you want from a game like that.    

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Thank you Charles. Terrific game review including critical analysis where and when needed. 

You were far from the only person to miss the boat on Chad Cota.

Good call on the OL fit. Maulers and brawlers may not be a fit for this O?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Or it could be a long day in the hot, humid South for the Baby Ducks.

Utah needs to worry about this playing in The Swamp but Oregon will be playing indoors with the benefit of AC.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Thompson didnt always work thru his progressions.

I'm beginning to think that Ty does not have "IT!" I think the game at the P5 level may well be too big for him?

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

A hit we didn't see but that I know is coming is Kyler Kasper and his 6'5, 200 lbs getting added to the passing game. Cota was very impressive, now imagine a defense covering Cota and Kasper on 3rd down? And this isn't to say that Cota and Kasper are only to be used like Stanford did in their Giraffe offense, Cota and Kasper, along with the rest of the receivers are all every down receivers, Oregon has a corps of Maehl's and Carrington's. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I was pretty impressed with Butterfield.  Once he got over the nervousness of playing with fans present, which hasn't happened since high school,  he looked like he knew what he was doing.  He may not be mobile enough for the staff, but is smart, accurate, and reads progressions well.  From what I saw, I'd be comfortable with him in game situations.  From my perspective, while he may not have the physical talents of Thompson, he was far ahead at this point.  Nix looked good most of the time, but made some bonehead errors as well, some errors a player with his experience  shouldn't have made.

The spring game is a no win deal.  As  Lanning said, one side is going to look good on any given play, but then you're unhappy with the other side of the ball.  I think Lanning made a concerted effort to emphasize an explosive offense in this game.  He's no dummy.  Lanning knows the fans were unhappy with the previous offense, he knows recruits want to see explosiveness and excitement, so a spring game like this makes most everyone watching happy. 

I also was really impressed with Cota.  He seemed to catch anything that was thrown his way, including three 50/50 passes.  You could tell he was a very experienced, veteran player.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 4/24/2022 at 6:55 AM, Smith72 said:

They are built for bulldozer type work - straight ahead and double teaming and sliding off to pick up a linebacker. 

Yes, Josh Conerly was recruited not just because he was a 5-Star, but because he fit the new profile of offensive linemen needed here, IMHO.  He is not 330 lbs. like Steven Jones and never will be...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, Gizmoduck said:

if the players don't believe in you as a person, if they don't TRUST you, no progress or growth will be made. 

On 4/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, Gizmoduck said:

Can they get total buy in? I think a lot of the misses yesterday can be attributed to lack of buy in. I mean as much as we are impressed by this staff, these young men have only known them as their coaches for a few months. And they may interact with them completely opposite to the coaches they were recruited by and coached just months ago. 

Coach....these are great observations, and a perspective that I had not considered.  They were recruited and sold on a "system," and now that new guy is doing something different? Getting the players to buy-in is going to be crucial.

Please comment often!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you Charles. Terrific game review including critical analysis where and when needed. 

You were far from the only person to miss the boat on Chad Cota.

I know Chad Cota casts a big shadow….but we’re talking about his son, Chase!

• Mic drop 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm beginning to think that Ty does not have "IT!" I think the game at the P5 level may well be too big for him?

Jon, I concur and I sadly fear that your second sentence should end with a period.  

That being said, this was a very small sample size and hopefully things are going better for Ty during practice sessions.  

I'm gaining confidence that this coaching staff will appoint the appropriate starter when the season gets underway.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/24/2022 at 5:32 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Thompson didn't always work thru his progressions.

HTBAD....this is great stuff, and I always welcome your thoughts.  As I watch the game again closer--I will look for this....thanks.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

One thing for sure all our QBs have splendid arms. The deep balls were very impressive. Ty struggles a bit with accuracy over the middle but hopefully that will change. As far as our option game the QBs weren’t running the ball and the defense knew it so those plays didn’t fool anyone. Our QBs had several opportunities to run for big yardage on options but that part will become very valuable against our opponents in the fall.

One thing for sure is our receivers look good and they all seemed to battle for the ball and I agree with Charles about Cota. Kid looked great. Seven is going to make defenses pay, our DBs had trouble covering him in the slot so I assume most of our opponents will have the same problem.

Punting was a huge upside and if that part stays consistent it could win us a couple close ones.  All in all there was a lot of positives for a spring game with a new coaching staff. 

The Rally girls looked great as usual and the weather was beautiful. It was a bit chilly in the shade for an old man so we moved to the end zone for the second half. I’ve always like the end zone where you can see the plays develop much better. Good showing by the fans, a young group for sure, but half them left early. Not a good look for the players. I was a little disappointed in that. 

One thing stood out the most is the Ducks have a but load of talented athletes.  Can’t wait for fall.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, DUCKED said:

He is not a burner but if the Ducks are facing third and long he appears to be a reliable option.

Agreed.  Chase Cota is not going to stretch a defense, but we need someone to turn to at crunch time--that gets open even when the opposing defense knows we are.  Dwayne Stanford (2014-2015) was like that, along with Keanon Howry, and of course Jeff Maehl.  The "Clutch-Guy" is an important part of the team, and it is nice to see we now have one.

(Although I will admit that Kris Hutson was also growing into that role.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, Jester said:

In today’s day and age, why were all the kickoffs not reaching the end zone, and was the 53 yard attempt short?  Couple that with one return I saw (blown dead) that may have been a house call, and I’m nervous about the kicking game.  How comfortable would you be if on the 19th of Nov. we were down two with 6 seconds left and we just spiked the ball (no timeouts left) at the Utah 26 yard line?  Cam, we’re rootin’ for you buddy, cuz my spidey senses tell me you’re going to be called upon to win a game this season. 

Jester....it is hard for me to follow Rule No. 26, where we can be negative about player performance, but do so without getting personal.  I do not have confidence in Lewis at all during crunch time.....because he has the talent, but it is all in his head.  (Which is a part of player performance--especially at placekicking)

Love your posts as always Jester...

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, Jester said:

Coach emphasizes explosive plays.  He got them on both sides of the ball and I can’t say “thank you” enough for getting the d*man ball down-the-field.

I did not cover that enough in my article, but it was over 1,000 words and I could not go longer.  Agreed--more explosion plays in one spring scrimmage that how many games of the former regime? 

Good stuff-thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

First, I think we may want to pump the brakes a bit on concerning observations. Thirteen practices with an entirely new coaching staff, playbook, and techniques to relearn philosophy to embrace, that, a lot to absorb in such a short time. Just being in the right position, using the right communication and techniques and making the right reads is a lot to ask in so little time. Also factor in the crew coaching staff learning on the fly how to mesh all their styles together. Overall I was impressed.

Offensive observations:

Seven looks special. I saw a lot of "IT" in that guy all day long.

Butterfield looks like he's ready to be the 1 B guy.

Whittington at RB looks like he'll be getting some good reps early.

Cota Also looks ready for playing time but the receiver group as a whole looks very solid.

Defensive observations:

DJ is ready for prime time

The DBs caused a lot of havoc disrupting catches and stealing interceptions. Liked that.

Quite a few sacks in this game. The D may have looked even more impressive if it were a live game.

Special teams props for those two 60+ yard punts.

Overall I liked what I saw. Lanning now has tape and three months to get get ready for the season. From everything I've seen from this guy so far, I'm sure he'll have the team ready.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

They are not.  I am the first to publicly point this out and will be going more in-depth about it in future articles.

And it only makes sense; you have certain player profiles for certain type offenses and it takes a while to bring in the talent needed to implement the new offense.  Right now...with some good coaching--Conerly could help us right away at only 278 pounds because he has quick feet.

Good for pass protection, and good for pulling and blocking in open space.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 8:55 AM, 30Duck said:

Oregon has a corps of Maehl's and Carrington's. 

Good point my Duck-Buddy, as I must be grateful to Coach Cristobal for the superb young talent assembled.  It lifts the future, no doubt.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, 47sgs said:

Nix looked good most of the time, but made some bonehead errors as well, some errors a player with his experience  shouldn't have made.

My point as well. An interception because the receiver let the ball go through his hands, bounced off a pad, etc. is fine. But that interception thrown is what a freshman would do...

If he is doing that after three years of starting--it means I better get accustomed to seeing it on a regular basis.  It is who he is... 

But can we win in spite of it?  (Yes!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, Just Ducky said:

Our QBs had several opportunities to run for big yardage on options but that part will become very valuable against our opponents in the fall.

OK...with all I wrote and watched in slow-motion...I did not notice that and will look for it in many replays coming up.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, Just Ducky said:

Punting was a huge upside and if that part stays consistent it could win us a couple close ones.

Usually when you have someone completely new, and perhaps a walk-on....you get a 39 yard average or worse.  But this guy averaged over 44 yards a punt?  Whew!

Great stuff, and thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

First, I think we may want to pump the brakes a bit on concerning observations.

No way!  That is what we do here....is discuss the good and the bad.  Besides...it is just our opinions, not pronouncements.  We may be right, or we may be wrong, but it is fun to discuss and then see what materializes.

I want to see everyone's opinion on every topic, so no....I do not want to discourage anyone from posting.  That is what a forum is for!

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2022 at 5:28 PM, Just Ducky said:

Punting was a huge upside and if that part stays consistent it could win us a couple close ones.  All in all there was a lot of positives for a spring game with a new coaching staff. 

I see that Tom Snee is not currently with the team.  Any scoop from anyone on what's happening there?

• Salute 1

It was written elsewhere that Snee and DT Kristan Williams were not with the team as they are both..."working through some issues."  Who knows what that means?

Mr. FishDuck

I won't say we need to pump the brakes on anything, but I do think certain situations are hard to judge in a scrimmage game like this.  For instance, the QB sacks and possible QB runs.  Some of the "sacks" I saw, I doubt would have actually been a sack in a live game situation, and the QB could have rolled out or taken off.  They were erring on the side of safety for the QB.  At the same time, I'm sure the QBs were told absolutely no running, so we couldn't evaluate that part of it either.

Also hard to judge given what I'm sure is vanilla game planning and calls, including O-line blocking schemes at this point, plus each team being a mix of starters and subs, with a bunch of guys shuttling in and out.

In these games, I look more for individual performances.  QBs shouldn't make boneheaded decisions, particularly knowing they have no chance of getting hit.  QBs should be reasonably accurate on passes.  Skill position players shouldn't fumble.  Guys making the tough, contested catch (including DBs).  Tight coverage.  Stuff like that.

From what I was able to see (unfortunately just in extended highlights), I was most impressed with Cota.  Given his numbers at UCLA, I wasn't terribly excited about getting him from the portal, but I may have been flat wrong on that one.  Nix's decision making and Thompson's accuracy concern me.  

Still think '22 is a transition year - new staff, new schemes, some guys probably won't fully buy in, some are wrong for what these coaches want to run, etc.  It'll take a while for this to shake out.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/24/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Still think '22 is a transition year - new staff, new schemes, some guys probably won't fully buy in, some are wrong for what these coaches want to run, etc.  It'll take a while for this to shake out.

Completely agree.  That is why I am not on-board with those predicting an 11 win season, as we may have to take a small step back to make a big one forward in '23 and '24.

Mr. FishDuck

Did the Ducks just throw downfield more than the entire last season? 

Did the Ducks commit fewer false starts than during the previous regular season under the previously vaunted offensive line gurus?

Did the Ducks finally look explosive, run more tempo than during the entire MC tenure?  

Is DJ Johnson going to be better than Thibs?

When healthy is this Dline going to look massively talented and physical? 40 sacks?

Split squad, guys out, hard to tell. Promising however

The Pound puppies lost a very nice DLineman. D line MAN. 

Oregon has Multiple talented receivers and Tight ends from 6’3 and up.

By Fall the offense might line up 5 across above 6’4” with several 6’5”. Red zone, 2pt.

Cota belongs. 

Trikweze and Addison look the part. Jalil flashed. Greenfield!!  

cam was short but true. Special teams already better. 

It’s clear to me that more Development is happening and that guys are buying in. I’m excited at the thought of how motivated they all might be these next months before fall camp.

How hard will each player work and will they take real professional level ownership.

It’s what the champions do. Champions have superior talent but usually also outwork their opponents and create noticeable separation. 

Big things brewing in Eugene. I’m taking the Ducks and 15. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with just about everything noted here. Seven (DAT clone), DJ (KT2) and Chase (the second Mailman cometh) were my standout players short of Noah and Taki's expected dominant play. Hard to watch both Nix and Thompson commit the cardinal sin of throwing behind crossing route receivers with the grim and anticipated outcome of a pick.

Much to like, though and I'm sure the coaching staff will have plenty to work on. I think it is a smart idea to not have the spring game be the last practice before the break as I bet there will he be a lot of breakdown of the game film and teaching this week.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

OK...with all I wrote and watched in slow-motion...I did not notice that and will look for it in many replays coming up.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Some of those could have been play action which actually wouldn’t be considered an rpo. But the running room was there.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It was written elsewhere that Snee and DT Kristan Williams were not with the team as they are both..."working through some issues."  Who knows what that means?

I guess it could be academic or family or anything else I guess. Pretty vague statement for sure.

It's Sunday and I don't have much time. But here were my thoughts from the Spring Game.

1) QB's... I marched into Autzen pulling for TT. I left believing he is the #3 QB. Nix appeared (to me) to easily be the starter.

2) RB's... I was impressed with Sean Dollars. He was running with more aggression and vision than the other backs. Again just my opinion. 

3) DJ looked great on defense. He has talent at TE.... But, he belongs on the D.

4) Cota and Thorton (?). We will be hearing these names A LOT this year. Very impressed with the WR's.

Overall was happy with how the team looked when thinking how young they are... and learning a new system. Autzen is so amazing when under blue skies.

One negative observation. I had some students right behind me. The whole group (15-20 of them) seemed to hold a severe prejudice against who they call "Auburn Boy". I was not impressed. I may be old. But, why come to a scrimmage game to heckle/boo/curse anyone on the team that reps your University?

They were so oblivious to what was going on they were calling Butterfield "Auburn Boy" as well. I have to say I was very disappointed in this group of our young fans. I can only hope they gain some knowledge and respect by fall. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 4/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, DUCati855 said:

I have to say I was very disappointed in this group of our young fans. I can only hope they gain some knowledge and respect by fall. 

Yeah, not a lot of "prowess" demonstrated by that bunch. 

Those "students" wanted to be at the campus riot earlier in the day but overslept and came to Autzen instead. Some proud parents there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made a comment on how young the crowds were but with basically free admission it was easy for the whole family to attend if you could afford the gas to get there. There should be much more knowledgeable fans at The games this fall. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:
On 4/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, Jester said:

In today’s day and age, why were all the kickoffs not reaching the end zone, and was the 53 yard attempt short?  Couple that with one return I saw (blown dead) that may have been a house call, and I’m nervous about the kicking game.  How comfortable would you be if on the 19th of Nov. we were down two with 6 seconds left and we just spiked the ball (no timeouts left) at the Utah 26 yard line?  Cam, we’re rootin’ for you buddy, cuz my spidey senses tell me you’re going to be called upon to win a game this season. 

Jester....it is hard for me to follow Rule No. 26, where we can be negative about player performance, but do so without getting personal.  I do not have confidence in Lewis at all during crunch time.....because he has the talent, but it is all in his head.  (Which is a part of player performance--especially at placekicking)

Love your posts as always Jester...

Charles - I apologize for sounding too critical of the young man's efforts.  I was probably toeing the getting-to-personal line which was clearly not my intent.  Cam's come through on many occasions when handling kicks within his range.  

From a kicking technicality perspective, do you guys see any change in the football rotation of Cam's short FG's vs. his longer attempts?  I really don't.  He seems to have excessive end-over-end rotation on his kicks which indicates a low strike.  Longer attempts obviously require a strike a little closer to the center of the football.  Ah...I'm probably just imagining things.  

To your point Charles, our guy does have the talent and we're all in his corner wishing him the best.  

No sweat Jester, as it is tough for me too.

Mr. FishDuck

If Thibs was in the discussion for consideration for the Heisman, keep DJ on defense, but put him in the for TE on occasion and start the campaign ASAP. The guys deserve any and all kudos going forward, along with opportunities to impact games.

Seven should also be given an opportunity to become a name on pundits tongues as they discuss the most dangerous offensive weapon in the NCAA.

As far as opportunities I just think we may be seeing the ceiling or close to it on Bo, and we have no idea how high Butterfield can rise. Ty may also rise up high, but the qb IQ and potential seem to be off the charts on Butters. As far as taking a gamble, which the previous staff was adverse to, starting Butters and seeing how high he can rise would be interesting. Bo still has a transfer available after graduating, from my understanding. Keep Ty and start Butters is my take, but then again anything but settling for the perceived safest one is what I want to see.

As far as concerns about the offense, I don't have so much. When the same trick play is run twice in the same half, we know they haven't put in the whole offense. We also know the defense knows it almost as well as the offense. No other defense will know the Oregon offense like our defense. Much like a little brother who knows each and every emotional trigger of his bigger brother.

The team with Donte and Coda had an advantage. I want to see Donte and Seven on the field 99% of the time we are even thinking about an explosion play or need a score. Those two players are special!

I will say the Lanning staff is much more in the gambler mode than our previous staff. Now how will that gambler attitude play out in the starting positions, and play calling come this fall. I look forward to finding out as that spring game was highly entertaining. 

As far as students I did see quite a few alcohol poisoning, or puking coeds. I would hope there is more awareness of this issue than when I went to college. The university would be well served to have education on alcohol and drug abuse, along with fan behavior. There will always be a few bad apples, but it did seem a bit too many coeds off the deep end of behavior.

Lastly on attendance I left at halftime with my 90 plus year old mom, and walked back to watch the track meet. There were about the same number of fans coming and going. With a free game, and lots of options I think there was a high turnover. We would have stayed if it wasn't for the track meet to see too, and then a dinner reservation to make. The attendance and enthusiasm was impressive to me. Next year if they want to fill it, and keep it full don't schedule so many options.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Couple notes... 

I think the total rushing yards was bu design going to be a bit low for a couple reasons. 

1) no need to beat up the runningbacks too badly by having them get tackled too much. Cardwell was apparently out due to some precautions. They probably could have run some walk ons more but that didn't seem like a priority. 

2) the quarterbacks needed reps in front of a crowd and they threw a lot of passes. Some good and some bad ... But they threw a lot. 

3) the offensive lines in play weren't full units whether they are first, second, or third string. By the sound of all the practice information, there isn't really a depth chart anywhere but perhaps the offensive line as that is really the only grouping (I suppose besides the entire defensive unit) that needs to play as one. So not too surprising that when mixed together they didn't perform too great. 

4) On the flip side the defensive line just played aggressive and got behind that lose conglomeratation of an o-line and recorded a ton of "sacks". In an actual tackling situation how many of those would have been real sacks, probably less than what was called but not all of them certainly. With that in mind being as quarterbacks are considered down by touch and not by being tackled they really didn't make many rushing attempts themselves. 

In short... I'm not really worried about the rushing attack or lack there of at this time. 

What I was THRILLED to see though is a rushing attack that attacked the edges frequently and forced defenders to make tackles in space. Moorhead did a great job making a solid rushing attack last year WITH Cristobal's offensive restraints but Dillingham's rushing attack will be fun. 

On 4/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, DUCati855 said:

One negative observation. I had some students right behind me. The whole group (15-20 of them) seemed to hold a severe prejudice against who they call "Auburn Boy". I was not impressed. I may be old. But, why come to a scrimmage game to heckle/boo/curse anyone on the team that reps your University?

They were so oblivious to what was going on they were calling Butterfield "Auburn Boy" as well. I have to say I was very disappointed in this group of our young fans. I can only hope they gain some knowledge and respect by fall. 

That's what happens in a section awash in alcohol fumes and drifting smoke. 😉

Charles,

OT, I  L O V E, the new Emoji Bar! ! !  Sometimes, just a look says it all.🥰  old and sentimental, maybe mental.  Thanks.

I know Lewis was 1-3, but he wasn’t as wild as he used to be. His first Miss was just outside the upright. His Miss from 53 was accurate, but short. He’s  just not a deep threat. I heard Boyle, the WSU transfer has a strong leg, but he isn’t on the roster. Is he supposed to be coming in the Fall?   

I'm a forever optimist when it comes to preseason expectations for the Ducks football program. I often get asked by friends and family members about various sporting outcomes (some for betting reasons, some for general discourse) because I read a lot of analysis, but I still get some smirks when I invariably say, "Oregon is going to make the National Championship this season." But you know what? I've been right twice in recent memory. 

Seeing that I have lofty expectations for the Ducks, I am here to champion the cause on behalf of our presumptive starters until there is a zero percent chance of making the National Championship. So, as for now, I'm all in on Bo Nix, because I think he is our only QB with elite potential, and he can give us the best chance to make the Playoffs. I'm not here to settle for the Rose Bowl. I'm not sure that Nix is personally aware that I have assigned our fortunes on  to his back, but I know that he already has a gigantic motive- and it's not to be QB1 for Oregon, or even to win the National Championship. No, I believe Nix transferred to the University of Oregon because it will give him the best path possible to be drafted in the First Round of the 2023 NFL Draft. 

I raise my eyebrow when reading people debate about who the QB1 should be for the upcoming season, because if it's not Nix then we most likely won't be at SoFi Stadium on January 9th, 2023.

On 4/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I know Lewis was 1-3, but he wasn’t as wild as he used to be. His first Miss was just outside the upright. His Miss from 53 was accurate, but short. He’s  just not a deep threat. I heard Boyle, the WSU transfer has a strong leg, but he isn’t on the roster. Is he supposed to be coming in the Fall?   

I heard Boyle can kick it through the uprights on kick-offs, and I am sticking to that story until I see otherwise. Here is a video where you can see what a soccer player, turned kicker can do. I hope Lewis sharpens his game.

• Wow 1