30Duck

DJ Johnson Could be Big Time Player for Oregon

I'm not calling for a Heisman campaign for DJ, but as Lanning says, "he, "could be one of the best players in the conference" And maybe not just in the conference.

USATSI_16732283.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

7 tackles, 5 TFL, and 4 sacks. DJ Johnson showed out and turned a number of heads at the Oregon spring game.

• Thumbs Up 2

DJ was fun to watch yesterday. This guy is going to be a force, especially with Sewell and Flowe at his back. KT was a good player, I think DJ will leave a bigger mark when all is said and done. 

The whole scrimmage was fun to watch. Spring games are what they are, hard to get a read on the team. But they were having fun and that was the biggest take away for me.

• Cool 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

DJ has been a great surprise going from defense to offense back to defense.  Love his heart, whatever the team needs.  He is going to have a great NFL career, IMHO.  Will be successful in what ever position he plays, offense or defense.

If the stats start piling up, we should highlight DJ big time. He is my favorite Duck and won't just be successful on the field, but off to with the attitude and effort he shows.

As I stated previously if he shows big time promise at DE we should also give him a chance to put up some stats at TE. It is time for college football to start talking about our players, and just how special they truly are. Thibs brought us some exposure again, but hopefully that is just the start of it. Lets see the Ducks be the greatest show in college football on both sides of the ball!

If DJ can continue to play at this level that will mean opponents will have to game plan for him a little.  Maybe double team him now and then which will free up others to make big plays.  Can't wait to see this defense at full speed come fall!   Happy So Excited GIF by TikTok😃

DJ was the player that caused me (Ute fan) the most discomfort.  He looks like a real impact player.  I try to be objective on KT, but honestly not as big of a fan as some.  There are always extenuating circumstances (coaches etc) but it just looked like he didn’t play as hard at the end.  DJ just looks like he plays harder and a lot of passion.

Also not loving the WR’s and TE’s.  Will be hard to cover for most of the teams Oregon plays including Utah who still looked shaky to me in our spring game.  

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1

A game plan disrupter. The guy directly inside DJ and outside DJ will be in a position to take advantage of their focus. If not for the color of his jersey you assumed he belonged in their backfield.

I could see him used in special short yardage red zone situations on offense either as the ball carrier or lead blocker for the RB.  

That 2019 season where DJ and KT played on the same DL together was sweet. And I wish it could have been for more than that single season. 

• Great post! 1

After being listed out of HS at 6'4" 240# to as big as 6'5" 273# last year, DJ looked stronger and leaner on Saturday, maybe 260# with a KT level first step and quickness we didn't see the last two seasons. Good reason why Lanning and Tupoi are so high on him, he was just flat out dominant.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, Log Haulin said:

KT was a good player, I think DJ will leave a bigger mark when all is said and done. 

My thoughts exactly... 

KT I think did a lot for Oregon's recruiting ability and he was a bit target for teams to have to account for ... But I feel the coaching staffs really didn't do enough to get him in more favorable positions to make big plays. 

Johnson is such a selfless player and plays so hard and couple that with a coaching staff that knows exactly how to use him... He is going to have a big season and make a big name for himself this next year. 

Now think... Johnson, Sewell and a healthy Flowe on the field at the same time. With all the rest of the potential game wreckers getting coached up. I don't want to be an offense that has to deal with that. 

Jackson LaDuke was looking pretty darn good during the spring game as well. Sewell was quiet but many of the solidified starters tend to be quieter in spring games.

• Thumbs Up 2

On Talkin' Ducks (Comcast), Jordan Kent's Bold Prediction for 2022:

DJ has more sacks next year than KT ever did in a season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

DJ has more sacks next year than KT ever did in a season.

And that Oregon would be No.1 in Total Defense. DJ accomplishing the Sacks prediction would definitely help with that.

• Thumbs Up 2