Gusduck71

Where Does the Future Lie at QB For Oregon?

I want to see Butterfield or Thompson take the reins with Nix as a solid back-up. What say you?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

Umm, nope! I want the guy who had an interception on broken play by his WR's and threw for 200+ on 8 completions and it's not even close. Kid moves the chains.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 4/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, Gusduck71 said:

I want to see Butterfield or Thompson take the reins with Nix as a solid back-up. What say you?

No

Nope.

1. Nix

2. Butterfield

3. Thompson

• Thumbs Up 6

The item I saw was Nix running up to the line of scrimmage after the big pass, and leading the team to a touchdown on the first drive. His leadership was evident in how he handled that drive, and the transition between plays. Thompson had much the same situation, but didn't show the same type of leadership. Butterfield also failed to show that type of I am in charge, and leading each player on offense. Nix is the only one, right now, who shows the number one quality we need at QB.

I do agree there is a lot of potential behind Nix, but we need a strong leader, and right now, that is Nix. That can all change, but that is what I saw as the number one indicator on my scale.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

Nix #1.  #2 is close enough that I hope neither Ty nor Jay enter the portal. Should be a great battle for #2 spot the rest of this year and then for #1 next year.  If either enter the portal, good luck to them and more reps for the now unanimous #2.

Ty's review of himself after the game.  Spot on.

11054705.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

The 2022 Oregon Spring Football Game was a glimpse into what the quarterback battle has been like over the last 13 spring football practices. With one practice left

You can’t replace Bo Nix game experience and the advantages it provides over Butters and Ty.  

Butters admitted nerves playing in front of a crowd for the guest time since HS. Spring game adoring home crowd and only teammates is a far cry from Atlanta. 

TY has every physical tool but the game/offense  is still fast to him. 

They both need playing time

At this point barring miraculous gains from Butters and TY and a regression from Nix, I just don’t see anyone starting other than Nix. 

• Applause 2

On 4/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

You can’t replace Bo Nix game experience and the advantages it provides over Butters and Ty.  

Wait that was the excuse last year. At some point talent and development will overcome Bo's experience if he stays where he is and was in the spring game. Agree we need better development and maybe the perceived amount of work needed to get there by these two talented young Ducks.

What I don't want is to see the coaching staff just value experience over talent and maybe a few growing pains as the light in the bulb of the young guns goes to full strength. I do agree Nix seemed to be the one most ready 4/2022. I am excited to see the answer 9/2022, and how bright that qb will shine!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the future of the QB position for teams playing at the highest level of P5 ball is more likely to come from recruiting the portal than it is from recruiting high school?

As Lane Kiffen noted: 'You have a far better idea of what you are getting with a transfer QB than with a kid out of high school. And, the transfer QB has used up his one chance at free agency without having to sit out a year.'

It's just me, the young man obviously should and will lead his life as he sees fit and I would love to see him stay at Oregon, but I don't think it would be a bad thing if Ty was to follow Joe Moorhead to Akron?

5/1 is the cut off date for portal people to commit and be eligible in 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

The item I saw was Nix running up to the line of scrimmage after the big pass, and leading the team to a touchdown on the first drive. His leadership was evident in how he handled that drive, and the transition between plays. Thompson had much the same situation, but didn't show the same type of leadership. Butterfield also failed to show that type of I am in charge, and leading each player on offense. Nix is the only one, right now, who shows the number one quality we need at QB.

I do agree there is a lot of potential behind Nix, but we need a strong leader, and right now, that is Nix. That can all change, but that is what I saw as the number one indicator on my scale.

He's the only guy in the QB room and who has defeated Bama and Oregon (SIGH.)

IMO, because of his experience, the quality of the opponent and the game location he is the one guy who gives the Ducks a shot versus UGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:11 AM, Gusduck71 said:

IMHO, Ty needs to go where he can get reps against better players than he faced playing in Gilbert, AZ.

His stats made Ty a 4/5*. But QB recruiting rankings are the most illusory of any position group. I just don't believe he is ready for 'prime time' and will never be ready if he doesn't play somewhere where he can get starting reps. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

IMHO, Ty needs to go where he can get reps against better players than he faced playing in Gilbert, AZ.

His stats made Ty a 4/5*. But QB recruiting rankings are the most illusory of any position group. I just don't believe he is ready for 'prime time' and will never be ready if he doesn't play somewhere where he can get starting reps. 

So do you send him down the minors, and then bring him back up once he can hit the curve?

This isn't too crazy of an idea if you see a recruit who just can't play at D1 speed. Have him go to a D2 school graduate, and then transfer back in. Is this possible?

Seems like this type of process may become more the norm when you consider how busy the portal, transfer situation is. I think the programs which embrace the transfer rule will prosper.

Completely agree the recruiting services are about as reliable as my 2 iron.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, Haywarduck said:

So do you send him down the minors, and then bring him back up once he can hit the curve?

This isn't too crazy of an idea if you see a recruit who just can't play at D1 speed. Have him go to a D2 school graduate, and then transfer back in. Is this possible?

Seems like this type of process may become more the norm when you consider how busy the portal, transfer situation is. I think the programs which embrace the transfer rule will prosper.

Completely agree the recruiting services are about as reliable as my 2 iron.

As I suggested above, I think Ty following Joe Moorhead to Akron could serve him and JM, well? He balls out in the G5/MAC and he will not go under the NFL radar.

Ty needs game reps.

May I humbly suggest that you swap out that 2 iron for a 4 or 5 hybrid! The game's hard enough; take advantage of this modern 'cheating,' equipment. (Also, I hope you are not playing balata balls?)

Hope Ty stays at Oregon as I really like his competitive attitude and acknowledgement that there are things he needs to improve upon. In a world where people enter portals and jump from companies when they don't immediately get promoted it would be great to watch someone actually hang in there and achieve his ultimate goal. It might be this year or next but if he stays committed to his development and keeps his positive attitude he can end up as starting QB at Oregon which will be much better than playing at Akron. Hope he keeps working hard and will be cheering for him when he wins the starting job.

• Thumbs Up 1

You never know.  If y'all remember Dennis Dixon, he had a lot of talent and just wasn't putting it together.   He put a lot of extra time in the off season and it suddenly clicked for him and he became one of the best players in college football.   Ty has time and the right attitude so with some more experience the light bulb may suddenly turn on for him.   I'm rooting for the guy.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thompson certainly looks the part of the D1 P5 QB and has a cannon for an arm. As much as he has a ton of raw talent he seems to have a tough time reading coverages and then getting an accurate throw to the checkdown receivers. Butterfield is like the old Avis ads, he knows he's perceived as #2 so he tries harder. Both those guys are competitive and it seems they will stay till the fall to battle it out. If I had to predict:

Nix is the clear #1 leaving the spring game. Butterfield will be the #2. Thompson will transfer at some point. Oregon will work to add a good 2023 QB like Jaden Rashada.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, Quackerbacker said:

You never know.  If y'all remember Dennis Dixon, he had a lot of talent and just wasn't putting it together.   He put a lot of extra time in the off season and it suddenly clicked for him and he became one of the best players in college football.   Ty has time and the right attitude so with some more experience the light bulb may suddenly turn on for him.   I'm rooting for the guy.  

Didn't Dixon actually go play pro baseball, minor league, before his senior year then comeback and put it all together? I'm not sure what the best steps are to make it all click, but it sure makes it interesting after no clear leader, or really sure 1 coming into fall.

Nix was the only QB I felt may have escaped a couple “presumptive” sacks in the spring game.  He appeared more comfortable sliding in the pocket that the other two, and that fits with his game tape where on occasion he would ware-out pass rushers with his mobility.  Also, if our o-line is possibly transitioning to a different/modified blocking scheme, we may experience a few breakdowns and I want the guy with the wheels. 

As for Ty, we’re continually discussing his athletic ability.  I think the game is moving too fast for him right now, so his physical attributes have been nullified.  He easily could have had three picks in that game, and he just didn’t seem to be able to get comfortable.  Just looks like it’s a game speed issue.

Then there’s the curious case of Jay Butterfield.  Now with him, I sensed confidence growing as the game continued.  Jay needs reps., needs to watch tape and appreciate the fact he can play at this level.  Jay intentionally dumped one in the ground when he noticed things we not materializing.  It’s a subtle veteran move, but it’s a move that’s not lost on football aficionados.    

Based on the spring game, I start Bo knowing he’s going to have one or two “why” throws because as I’ve stated before – that’s what Bo does.  I got to go Butters at 2.  I just trust him more right now.  That puts Ty at 3.  Like many of you, I would have loved to see Ty put a stranglehold on the starting position, but that’s not in the cards right not.     

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:44 PM, Haywarduck said:

Didn't Dixon actually go play pro baseball, minor league, before his senior year then comeback and put it all together? 

He sure did. When he left I wished him well and hoped we'd never see him again. Then Bellotti hired a young O coordinator named Kelley, changed the scheme, and the rest is history 

• Applause 1

Nix at 1 for sure. Dudes a baller. He reminds me of a young Brett Favre.  Favre made a ton of "why?" Throws but the guy was a winner. I see Nix having his best year. My prediction is at some point in the season both Nix and DJ will be in the Heisman discussion. A ton to be excited about with this Duck roster and staff.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bo is the guy right now.  Dillingham knows him and needs someone he can trust with his system right out of the gate and he just looked better.  The question was where does the future lie.  I think that really comes down to how well Dillingham can develop a quarterback.  He looks to have the resume of putting a good offense on the field - but can he develop young talent to be great at QB?  He didn’t have Bo long enough to show development year to year and I just don’t know what he did at FSU and Memphis regarding development.

The two young qb’s have talent, but don’t look ready.  If he can develop them they could be awesome.  I don’t think Oregon will have trouble recruiting really good qb’s - but will need to develop them to have a great one consistently.  My two cents is Butterfield is a lot closer to where you need him than Ty and I think one will likely leave (after spring game next year).  

And that was the year a guy named Chip came in as OC as well...

On 4/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Nope.

1. Nix

2. Butterfield

3. Thompson

That’s the way I saw it as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on our small glimpse into the program, Nix would be the starter if the season started tomorrow. 

I think Thompson and Butterfield have loads of potential but aren't quite there yet. 

Right now I think Butterfield has the edge on Thompson. It is really hard to make much of a judgement though with the dubious offensive line play due to mixing the players and teams as they did. 

The good thing for all the quarterbacks is that the season is still months away so loads of time to learn the system and improve.  

On 4/25/2022 at 8:04 PM, David Marsh said:

Based on our small glimpse into the program, Nix would be the starter if the season started tomorrow. 

I think Thompson and Butterfield have loads of potential but aren't quite there yet. 

Right now I think Butterfield has the edge on Thompson. It is really hard to make much of a judgement though with the dubious offensive line play due to mixing the players and teams as they did. 

The good thing for all the quarterbacks is that the season is still months away so loads of time to learn the system and improve.  

Great take. 'Months away?. BUMMER!

My only question? When is a 4/5* QB ready if not now? Not now under a new QB coaching group and a better O for QBs.

I think that Ty has so much potential but if he can't get starting reps?

I find this guy with boat loads of potential simply 'nervous in the service' game ready? How does ne get the starting reps he needs?

I am frankly PO'd that Mario did not let the young man see the field last year behind and god bless him, a journeyman QB who had no shot at playing pro ball. 

Again, I respect Mario's recruiting but his use of talent on the roster was abysmal.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, DUCKED said:

No

AMEN. Experience matters. Especially when the opening game is at UGA and the 3rd game is versus a preseason top 35 team.

I watched the Wazzu spring game. He wasn't all that consistent but Cam Ward looks like the real deal. Second coming of the 'Stache?

Nix was also a 5*. He has seen a ton of snaps against the best teams in the nation. Under achieved? Perhaps. He was clearly the best qb on the field saturday. Of TT or Butters wants the 1 spot they will have to step up and take it. Right now its Nix's spot to lose.

It all clicked for Dennis after he played Baseball that Summer. Belotti didn't want him to but it helped him open up his game. Man if he doesn't hurt his knee we probably win our first Natty! So close for something to get in the way and especially injury's. Unfortunately they are part of the game and that's why Oregon needs to recruit like Georgia does. Thompson needs to just keep working and stay hungry, humble and honest with himself. He could be great yet he needs to progress or he will get left behind.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:24 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

It all clicked for Dennis after he played Baseball that Summer. Belotti didn't want him to but it helped him open up his game. Man if he doesn't hurt his knee we probably win our first Natty! So close for something to get in the way and especially injury's. Unfortunately they are part of the game and that's why Oregon needs to recruit like Georgia does. Thompson needs to just keep working and stay hungry, humble and honest with himself. He could be great yet he needs to progress or he will get left behind.

An injury that should have never happened. I don't have a lot of recall but remember it being dirty. ASU if I remember right.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, Log Haulin said:

Nix was also a 5*. He has seen a ton of snaps against the best teams in the nation. Under achieved? Perhaps. He was clearly the best qb on the field saturday. Of TT or Butters wants the 1 spot they will have to step up and take it. Right now its Nix's spot to lose.

Great take. Under Dillingham he was the SEC Frosh of the season. 

I think at the level Oregon plays we best get used to the starting QB coming out of the portal.

Let's remember that he was not in a throwing friendly O under Malzahn. Last season under Harsin? He was but for a blip against GA ST, balling. I think if Bo stayed healthy last season the Tigers do not take the L at home vs Bama?

He will drive us nuts with the occasional throw into massive coverage, But he gives the Ducks the beat shot to win 'at UGA" and I hope he can get his ankle recovered to 'full speed' between now and the UGA game?  When healthy he is a legit at least a semi dual threat QB. He looked a bit gimpy in the spring game. Hopefully by September 3rd he will be full go?

You cannot duplicate experience in life. No QB on the roster comes close to this guy's, be it good or bad, game experience.

I expect on 9/3 to see him starting his 4th game vs UGA. Hopefully with better results than the first 3 efforts? He has thrown 1 TD and 2 picks against UGA to date, But as they said in the Civil War, he has seen the Elephant. And he once beat the Elephant, Bama. 

And when he underachieved, for the most part it was against the best competition in CFB.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some simple facts are we have two very talented kids in Butters and Thompson and I can only blame one person for them not being ready, if that ends up being the case, and we all know who that is. I feel sorry for the Caine’s, NOT, if he stays on coarse.