FishDuck Article

Coach Kenny Dillingham’s New GTE Sweep Read

The play is a wonderful indicator of the future, as it is a throwback to what scored TONS of points in the past, but it has been enhanced!

No.-3-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=194736
FISHDUCK.COM

The 2022 Oregon Spring Game was a fun unveiling of Dan Lanning's Ducks, it also gave us a glimpse into a few parts of the Kenny Dillingham offense.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great job of breaking down, teaching, and illustrating this new GTE Sweep Read!  What a fantastic play!

Angles, quick movement, and attacking the defense in many different areas.  All designed to stress the defense and not let them know where you're going!

Amazing design of just one play.  I can't wait to see other plays Coach Dillingham has brought to Our Beloved Duck Football team!

Thanks for all the hard work Charles it takes to create this article!

• Applause 1

Aaaaah yes. Nice breakdown Charles. Signs of the past give us hope going forward.

• Cool 1

Great analysis about one of the plays which gives us great hope about the future of our Ducks under the guidance of the Lanning staff. I imagine we only saw the start of this type of thinking and play making. As you noted there was excellent blocking going on, which is the secret sauce to any great play. This was something, at times, which was sorely lacking the previous few years.

I am not sure if it was just the WR's knowing they weren't going to get the ball or just poor coaching, but too often I saw whiffs on blocking, and the play blown up. I loved seeing our WR make two big blocks on that play.  Kudos to Troy Franklin, a tall speed guy, showing how to get it done. His block on two guys was a huge part of this play!

All it takes is one missed block to kill a play and 11 guys working together to make a play like that. The truly elegant thing about that play was the 11 guys working in concert, a thing of beauty! If we have team play like that come this fall, who knows how good the team will be. Love the way the team played together, giving it up for each other!

Really enjoyed the article Charles! But I’m also fairly confident that this play is GH Counter. It’s not designed to act as a sweep but it can be. What I mean by that is the TE is actually reading. 

Because the DE squeezed like he did, it makes it virtually impossible for the pulling guard to get a good kick out that would have allowed the TE to lead inside. The TEs are taught that if it gets gummed up on the inside like that, pull to the outside. 

We can also see from the end zone shot that the RBs initial path is to the inside. The play is also a fantastic example of Whittington’s vision.

I will say that I know of high school coaches who have made this into two plays so that the onus is on the coaches instead of making the players think about too much. But I’m college, from what I understand, it’s the same play with two options. 

As far as reading the backside backer, I can definitely see that being the case. They read an LB on the same run with an RPO attached for Thompson’s TD pass. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Really enjoyed the article Charles! But I’m also fairly confident that this play is GH Counter. It’s not designed to act as a sweep but it can be. What I mean by that is the TE is actually reading. 

Because the DE squeezed like he did, it makes it virtually impossible for the pulling guard to get a good kick out that would have allowed the TE to lead inside. The TEs are taught that if it gets gummed up on the inside like that, pull to the outside. 

We can also see from the end zone shot that the RBs initial path is to the inside. The play is also a fantastic example of Whittington’s vision.

I will say that I know of high school coaches who have made this into two plays so that the onus is on the coaches instead of making the players think about too much. But I’m college, from what I understand, it’s the same play with two options. 

As far as reading the backside backer, I can definitely see that being the case. They read an LB on the same run with an RPO attached for Thompson’s TD pass. 

yes, I was thinking it looked designed to go inside with the right side of the line blocking down and the tackle and tight end pulling to kick out as you said.

What made it a big play for the offense is that tight end read, plus the corner and safety both sold out on gumming things up inside. Making a seal block on the corner from the receiver easier and a block on the safety unnecessary.

Whittingham then properly reads it as opening up outside and no one was there. 

If the end and corner aren't crashing inside, then the blocking gives the play a good chance to open up inside. 

Over all a very well designed play. Yeah, hoping for a lot more of this!

On 4/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’m also fairly confident that this play is GH Counter.

Glad you saw it because I was going to email you for your opinion.  I thought that at first as well, but I ruled out "Counter," because there was not any counter action of the QB and RB going one direction in the backfield to get the linebackers stepping one direction, and the the counter-action in the backfield going the other direction.

We can disagree--no sweat.  But I'll be we will see a GH Counter in the future....and I'll bet it will be enhanced as this play was as well.

I would agree with you that I was mistaken though...that your point and that of others that it is not a sweep is true.  It turned into a sweep due to the actions of the corner coming so far inside.  

So what to name it?

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Glad you saw it because I was going to email you for your opinion.  I thought that at first as well, but I ruled out "Counter," because there was not any counter action of the QB and RB going one direction in the backfield to get the linebackers stepping one direction, and the the counter-action in the backfield going the other direction.

We can disagree--no sweat.  But I'll be we will see a GH Counter in the future....and I'll bet it will be enhanced as this play was as well.

I would agree with you that I was mistaken though...that your point and that of others that it is not a sweep is true.  It turned into a sweep due to the actions of the corner coming so far inside.  

So what to name it?

I see what you’re saying with the traditional counter movements of the RB not being present. And the thing is, not every coach does it that way. 

Lincoln Riley for example, doesn’t use any counter motion from the RB. He’s just using the counter blocking scheme.

• Like 1

Thank you Charles! Always enlightening. I was so glad to see a return to up-tempo football.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

And the thing is, not every coach does it that way. 

Yep...I just had some time today finally to comment.  In many respects--Coach Aliotti had it right; it is a G-Series pulling the guard, and sometimes a tackle or tight end.  To me, this new play is more of a sweep than it is a counter--but we can call it anything.  Goodness knows I did that 11 years ago with the Chip Kelly videos!

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep...I just had some time today finally to comment.  In many respects--Coach Aliotti had it right; it is a G-Series pulling the guard, and sometimes a tackle or tight end.  To me, this new play is more of a sweep than it is a counter--but we can call it anything.  Goodness knows I did that 11 years ago with the Chip Kelly videos!

You can definitely call it whatever you want, I’m sure there are a bunch of different terminology used in coaching for every play. 

For instance, as you pointed out, Coach Aliotti called it g-series. I’m assuming he considers any play with a pulling guard in that.

But did you see down-g? That’s something we’ve really never seen at Oregon. I even wrote about it a couple years back, talking about how I wanted Coach Arroyo to add it to the playbook. And they ran it a couple of times during the spring game. 

All I know is we are back to preventing the defense from being ready or knowing what is going to happen next. Much better than preventing the offense from excelling. Just look at what taking Seven off the bench has done, getting the ball to Donte, onward and forward!

I am looking forward to saying 'so what, now what' at mistakes this group makes. The opposing defense better be ready for now what, that is for sure. Hopefully the offense also says 'so what' when we go up by 20. I know the team up north better be ready for us to say 'so what' when we are up by 70, 'now what' 80!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 4/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is we are back to preventing the defense from being ready or knowing what is going to happen next. Much better than preventing the offense from excelling. Just look at what taking Seven off the bench has done, getting the ball to Donte, onward and forward!

I am looking forward to saying 'so what, now what' at mistakes this group makes. The opposing defense better be ready for now what, that is for sure. Hopefully the offense also says 'so what' when we go up by 20. I know the team up north better be ready for us to say 'so what' when we are up by 70, 'now what' 80!

And watching Memphis and FSU tape, the spring game wasn’t the half of it!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1