McDawg

Dawgs Fan From Georgia: What I Hope to Learn and Share

No, I am not a troll.  I just like to come to a new opponents board to try and learn a little about your program and maybe shed some light on my Dawgs.  The conferences and cultures are so vastly different so I hope I might can shed some light on what and who we are, and maybe even prepare you for the culture shock of coming to Atlanta. I did this several years ago when we played Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl, and it was fun and interesting. After all, y'all got our boy Lanning; hes gonna be a good one for you.

Edited by McDawg
bad sentence
  • Like 1

Welcome, McDawg, we enjoy it when fans of other teams show up and want to share their thoughts and opinions on the game between their team and the Ducks...when they do so in the manner that you and the other Georgia fans have done.

• Like 1

We love our football here and our drink. We might get a little loud sometimes, but we don't mean any harm. 

Hello Dawg friend. 

Hats off on the break through last year. It was good to see Kirby finally get over the Saint Nick hurdle. 

The only thing that frustrates me no end is that the game on 9/3 is being played in the  ATL and not 'Tween the Hedges.'  Anytime, anywhere for a H+H series but I don't like one off games against quality SEC teams in Dixie. It's not like Pac-12/SEC teams are not playing H+H.

For example, Utah plays in the Swamp on 9/3 with a return game in SLC next year. Arizona plays the first of a H+H with MS ST this year. So, it's not like SEC teams will only play in LA (like LSU H+H with UCLA) for west coast recruiting juice. Down the road, Arizona has a H+H scheduled with Bama.

I live in Aiken, SC. Once a year we make a point of tripping to Athens, GA.; absolutely, one of the best college towns in the USA.

There is no doubt that the enthusiasm for college football down south is off the charts compared to the Pac-12. Eugene is one of the few Pac-12 towns/cities where the enthusiasm for CFB comes close to what you see in the SEC.

The line is UGA -15. I have a bet down on OR +15. It will be interesting to see in what direction the line moves? (You didn't have enough quality TEs? You needed Gilbert Too? SIGH.)

I know NIx is 0 for UGA. But at least he has played ball in the SEC and the crowd in Atlanta should not intimidate him. BTW, I love what your QB, The Mailman, overcame to start for Georgia.

The only place where I respectfully disagree with your post. The Atlanta metroplex is not representative of a city down south in the manner of Tuscaloosa and Columbia, SC. Too many darn Yankees have moved to Atlanta.

IMO, adult beverages and respectfully screaming your lungs out is what CFB is all about.

Thanks for the visit. Look forward to 'talking' with you about the game.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for stopping by McDawg.   We are pretty excited to come to Atlanta and play the reigning national champion this fall. Especially since we have your former Defensive coordinator as our new head coach.   I live in Texas, got to see the Ducks play Auburn  in Arlington  (Bo Nix was the quarterback).  Jerry's World is a pretty spectacular place, plus you can't beat the food in Texas. 

I like the one off's actually.  There is a lot of excitement and anticipation for these games and the venues are usually pretty nice stadiums.  Not to mention a chance to check out the local food and beverages establishments.  😊  It's going to be a great way to start the season, we might even surprise you guys a little bit!  

Jon my daughter graduated from USC Aiken a few years back.  That's a pretty little town.  Makes it easy to go watch the Master's if you are lucky enough to get tickets.  🙂 

On 4/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Hello Dawg friend. 

Hats off on the break through last year. It was good to see Kirby finally get over the Saint Nick hurdle. 

The only thing that frustrates me no end is that the game on 9/3 is being played in the  ATL and not 'Tween the Hedges.'  Anytime, anywhere for a H+H series but I don't like one off games against quality SEC teams in Dixie. It's not like Pac-12/SEC teams are not playing H+H.

For example, Utah plays in the Swamp on 9/3 with a return game in SLC next year. Arizona plays the first of a H+H with MS ST this year. So, it's not like SEC teams will only play in LA (like LSU H+H with UCLA) for west coast recruiting juice. Down the road, Arizona has a H+H scheduled with Bama.

I live in Aiken, SC. Once a year we make a point of tripping to Athens, GA.; absolutely, one of the best college towns in the USA.

There is no doubt that the enthusiasm for college football down south is off the charts compared to the Pac-12. Eugene is one of the few Pac-12 towns/cities where the enthusiasm for CFB comes close to what you see in the SEC.

The line is UGA -15. I have a bet down on OR +15. It will be interesting to see in what direction the line moves? (You didn't have enough quality TEs? You needed Gilbert Too? SIGH.)

I know NIx is 0 for UGA. But at least he has played ball in the SEC and the crowd in Atlanta should not intimidate him. BTW, I love what your QB, The Mailman, overcame to start for Georgia.

The only place where I respectfully disagree with your post. The Atlanta metroplex is not representative of a city down south in the manner of Tuscaloosa and Columbia, SC. Too many darn Yankees have moved to Atlanta.

IMO, adult beverages and respectfully screaming your lungs out is what CFB is all about.

Thanks for the visit. Look forward to 'talking' with you about the game.

Whew! Lots to unpack there!  Yes.  I would liked to have seen a true H&H but I am pretty sure these Chic Fil A games pay both teams pretty well and are good for both as a one off. Yeah, it won't be like being in Sanford ( Between the Hedges) with all the tradition and pageantry, but to be honest, Athens Ga in early September can be hot as ya mommas kitchen cooking turnip greens; it is unpleasant and provides an almost unfair advantage to SEC teams. Anyone who has experienced Georgia heat in August can testify. Utah has a good squad, but that Gainesville heat will be tuff on em.

Yup.  We gots some good tight ends.  I saw where someone posted that they were upset because Bowers was a Cali kid that came to UGA; I am pretty sure there's plenty of kids on PAC rosters from the south too, so it is what it is. But yes, we do have some pretty special TE's.  Probably the best in the country. There will be some 13 for sure and probably some 14 sets.

I don't see the line moving much either way, unless there is some tectonic shift in rosters or unforeseen changes in staff. I think the line is right, but Oregon could easily cover. 

Bo Nix is an enigma.  He is an athlete more than a QB in my opinion, and that gives him more of an advantage.  It will be interesting to see how Lanning molds that to his philosophy. Crowd and atmosphere won't bother him much, but he know UGA's how athletic and fast UGA's defense can be. 

Yeah. Atlanta sucks.  I hate Atlanta and everything about it.  I have friend who live there and say the same. Nicer than most metro areas, but its still Atlanta. The traffic is so bad that "Atlanta is only an hour away from Atlanta." Take Atlanta out of Georgia and you've got a higher class version of Alabama. All that said, go to the CFB Hall of Fame while you're there. 

On 4/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, Quackerbacker said:

Thanks for stopping by McDawg.   We are pretty excited to come to Atlanta and play the reigning national champion this fall. Especially since we have your former Defensive coordinator as our new head coach.   I live in Texas, got to see the Ducks play Auburn  in Arlington  (Bo Nix was the quarterback).  Jerry's World is a pretty spectacular place, plus you can't beat the food in Texas.  I like the one off's actually.  There is a lot of excitement and anticipation for these games and the venues are usually pretty nice stadiums.  Not to mention a chance to check out the local food and beverages establishments.  😊  It's going to be a great way to start the season, we might even surprise you guys a little bit!  

Jon my daughter graduated from USC Aiken a few years back.  That's a pretty little town.  Makes it easy to go watch the Master's if you are lucky enough to get tickets.  🙂 

Good chance to surprise.  I am looking forward to hearing more about the Ducks from the fans before the talking heads screw it all up 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, Quackerbacker said:

Thanks for stopping by McDawg.   We are pretty excited to come to Atlanta and play the reigning national champion this fall. Especially since we have your former Defensive coordinator as our new head coach.   I live in Texas, got to see the Ducks play Auburn  in Arlington  (Bo Nix was the quarterback).  Jerry's World is a pretty spectacular place, plus you can't beat the food in Texas.  I like the one off's actually.  There is a lot of excitement and anticipation for these games and the venues are usually pretty nice stadiums.  Not to mention a chance to check out the local food and beverages establishments.  😊  It's going to be a great way to start the season, we might even surprise you guys a little bit!  

Aiken is a great small town, growing to small city size. 

Texas BBQ vs southern fried chicken? Tough choice!

Not only did I not get Master's tickets, for the 70th + year in a row I did not get invited to play! Can't believe the US postal service could to fail to deliver my invite so many years running?

• Haha 1

Welcome to OBDF. There are a few Dawg fans showing here. Duck fans are rabid as SEC fans. You will enjoy it. We have been slapping around dAWGs for a few decades now. Don't see a lot changing in 22. Seriously though, lets have some fun and make new friends. You will find Duck fans have a high Football IQ. Enjoy!

• Applause 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Aiken is a great small town, growing to small city size. 

Not only did I not get Master's tickets, for the 70th + year in a row I did not get invited to play! Can't believe the US postal service could to fail to deliver my invite so many years running?

Being a true southerner, I have had BBQ from all over the south and there is nothing like Carolina Sweet. My son was recruited by quite a few schools all across the south and nearly every school always had BBQ.  Appalachian State had the best by far. And yes, he went to App State. 

Oh hey...my wife's cousin has had tickets to Augusta since something like 1960....they were passed down from his dad. 

On 4/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, Log Haulin said:

Welcome to OBDF. There are a few Dawg fans showing here. Duck fans are rabid as SEC fans. You will enjoy it. We have been slapping around dAWGs for a few decades now. Don't see a lot changing in 22. Seriously though, lets have some fun and make new friends. You will find Duck fans have a high Football IQ. Enjoy!

Those dogs in Seattle aren't worthy of the spelling "Dawgs" 

I'd about guess you will be able to see the difference. 

Edited by McDawg
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, McDawg said:

Being a true southerner, I have had BBQ from all over the south and there is nothing like Carolina Sweet. My son was recruited by quite a few schools all across the south and nearly every school always had BBQ.  Appalachian State had the best by far. And yes, he went to App State. 

Those dogs in Seattle aren't worthy of the spelling "Dawgs" 

I'd about guess you will be able to see the difference. 

Little "d". 

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 5:18 PM, Log Haulin said:

Little "d". 

Big D    🙂  

I have Ga buddy that just moved to Coeur D' Alene last year to drive log trucks.  Y'all boys do well, but he sent me some pics of those roads.....

Edited by McDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, McDawg said:

Big D    🙂  

I have Ga buddy that just moved to Coeur D' Alene last year to drive log trucks.  Y'all boys do well, but he sent me some pics of those roads.....

It's a great way to pay the bills and have a little left over. Tough work but great work for sure.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:42 PM, Log Haulin said:

It's a great way to pay the bills and have a little left over. Tough work but great work for sure.

Exposes you to some pretty good hunting lands too if you're a hunter. I hunt so my eyes would be skinned back all the time!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, McDawg said:

Exposes you to some pretty good hunting lands too if you're a hunter. I hunt so my eyes would be skinned back all the time!

20220415_055504.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice!! 
Here’s  a pic from near where I live. 

136CC892-8D98-4015-AD63-2097F3579ABA.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 6:27 PM, McDawg said:

Nice!! 
Here’s  a pic from near where I live. 

136CC892-8D98-4015-AD63-2097F3579ABA.jpeg

Sublime. Where's the nearest golf course?

On 4/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, McDawg said:

No, I am not a troll.  I just like to come to a new opponents board to try and learn a little about your program and maybe shed some light on my Dawgs.  The conferences and cultures are so vastly different so I hope I might can shed some light on what and who we are, and maybe even prepare you for the culture shock of coming to Atlanta. I did this several years ago when we played Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl, and it was fun and interesting. After all, y'all got our boy Lanning; hes gonna be a good one for you.

One thing is for sure, I have been to Atlanta and you strip clubs beat ours to death. I thought I was in a Vegas night club with Valet parking no less. You guys rock.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

On 4/25/2022 at 5:42 PM, Log Haulin said:

Harder then turning over and hurdling a whole bunch of paper made from them logs!

Probably, heck yes.

Plus at the end of the day you go home and quaff, instead of thinking of papers to be pushed tomorrow and quaff.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Just Ducky said:

One thing is for sure, I have been to Atlanta and you strip clubs beat ours to death. I thought I was in a Vegas night club with Valet parking no less. You guys rock.

As a guy who lived for years in Las Vegas, I'm tipping my hat to the Atlanta platform of pulchritude. Plus, the tips are cheaper and better appreciated.

Of course at grey beard + years it's all a (faded) memory now.

• Haha 1

Jon, I wouldn't have taken you for a southerner but your comments (and from Aiken no less) have convinced me. I second McDawg's point about Dawg fans lovin their spirits. In fact, the leading Dawg blog even has a Bourbon thread which I enjoy very much.

Sure wish McDawg had told us where the beautiful vista from his house was located. Looks like the view from my cabin that I had when I lived near Blairsville, GA.

Y'all may get more of us Dawg fans on the forum as the game in Atlanta draws nearer. Most who bother to visit will be very cordial and are serious college football fans. One of my best  friends  is a Duck grad and fan. We hope to head East for the game  in September. On the subject of H & H series, Georgia has scheduled a number with football powers for the next 10 years, and I know many Dawg fans who would love to travel to Eugene for a game. So you never know what could happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/25/2022 at 8:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'll top both those options with mudbugs from down Loosiana way - I'm a west coaster (now west coast of Europe, but still...), but you can't beat good Cajun cooking.  🙂 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/26/2022 at 1:37 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Jon, I wouldn't have taken you for a southerner but your comments (and from Aiken no less) have convinced me. I second McDawg's point about Dawg fans lovin their spirits. In fact, the leading Dawg blog even has a Bourbon thread which I enjoy very much.

Sure wish McDawg had told us where the beautiful vista from his house was located. Looks like the view from my cabin that I had when I lived near Blairsville, GA.

Y'all may get more of us Dawg fans on the forum as the game in Atlanta draws nearer. Most who bother to visit will be very cordial and are serious college football fans. One of my best  friends  is a Duck grad and fan. We hope to head East for the game  in September. On the subject of H & H series, Georgia has scheduled a number with football powers for the next 10 years, and I know many Dawg fans who would love to travel to Eugene for a game. So you never know what could happen.

I'm transplanted. Grew up in Boston then spent decades in the west.

Love the southeast, except for the games kicking off so darn late!

Once upon a time the Ducks did have a H+H scheduled with UGA but it was canceled by the Dawgs. But this is a new age dawning. Exhibit A: Florida tripping to Salt Lake City in 2023.

What a great-great thread!

As I wrote before, Georgia fans that have visited this forum have been all class.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/27/2022 at 1:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As I wrote before, Georgia fans that have visited this forum have been all class.

I know it's not exactly a representative sample, but it always is fun to kind of get a feel for fans of various teams through interaction on these boards.  Years ago I was very active on the Pepperdine basketball chat boards (when we were consistently one of the top teams in the country).  We faced Indiana in the first round of March Madness, and IU fans just flooded our board with all kinds of garbage - how we were going to get beaten by 50, how we didn't even belong on the same floor with Indiana, how our sad little team was just an embarrassment, etc.

Almost every one of them behaved like an arrogant jerk.  So it felt fantastic when Pepperdine routed the fabled Hoosiers by 20, sending Bobby Knight out a loser in his last game at the school.

Next game, we faced Oklahoma State.  Totally different experience.  The vast majority of their fans were pleasant, informed, and ready for discussion.  Sucked that we lost to them, but still, what a contrast from what we faced with Hoosier fans.

Glad to see that so far, UGA fans seem to be like OK State and not IU.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember when Tennessee came to Eugene a few years back and I spent quite a bit of time chatting with their fans. Our tailgate area was very close to the Volunteers tented area. They were knowledgeable and very supportive of the Ducks, even though they knew they were about to get boat raced, because they all thought the Ducks could take down mighty Alabama. A class act all the way around and a great experience for me and my wife. I will never forget it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Sublime. Where's the nearest golf course?

Out and to the left of the pic, in Blairsville. Pic was made looking to the north. 

On 4/26/2022 at 1:37 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

The pic was made on the Richard B Russell parkway ( Hwy 348) between Blairsville and Helen. It isn't at my house tho! LOL But not too far away. It's near Hog Pen Gap, Cowrock Mtn. Yeah...just south of Blairsville. It's pretty nice.

Yeah...Dawgs love their bourbon. Ask any Dawg and he will tell give you a list of favs: WL Weller Reserve, Angels Envy, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare.....errybody has a list. Y'all gonna think we're a buncha alcoholics here in Georgia.

Edited by McDawg

On 4/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, McDawg said:

near Hog Pen Gap,

Now THAT's some kind of southern!

Beautiful countryside, beautiful.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, McDawg said:

I have to say I have been going to the ATL for two decades several times a year for work. I am always in my Duck gear, and have no bad things to say about the people, the food is dangerously good, specially Spondivits, for you ducks going for the game put that place on your list of must go eat at.

One of the best in the area. I will be out that way this coming Monday in full duck gear as always. Take time to see the College football hall of fame, and the PTC is on my short list of retirement locations, something about driving golf carts around the city is appealing. Go Ducks! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the compliment Charles. I love this forum because, unlike others I visit and enjoy, there is none of this bull of posters going  after one another in ridiculous pissing contests that can absolutely slay an ongoing thread. I feel perfectly comfortable commenting on others' posts here because the people here are all about college football and not at all about protecting their ego. Man I hope that it will stay that way.

• Great post! 1

Thanks, and know that I am very committed to protecting this safe place from the nastiness of the world, where we can “banter-with-our-buddies” about college football.

A high percentage of people don’t want to be “polite and respectful,” thus this forum is not a good matchup for them.

This forum is not for everybody, and we don’t want to be.

Thanks again.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

It sure is nice to be able to come to a competitors board and have civil conversation. I may brag a little every now and then, but that is to be expected to a degree. But I will always be both polite and respectful.  The easy part is reading the rules; the hard part is understanding the cultural differences and not knowing the subtleties that might sound like a slight.

Y'all gotta remember that we deal with Bama fans, and that may be the most sensitive fanbase in America! Georgia fans actually don't hate Bama or Saban, but we have found that you never want to give them a negative fact 😆   Georgias fans hate Flarduh and The Barn (Auburn) but actually don't hate Bama...I know, weird.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/28/2022 at 8:10 AM, McDawg said:

I may brag a little every now and then, but that is to be expected to a degree.

Dang right you can brag, y’all won it all!

Y’all can brag right up to kickoff in Atl, and hopefully not after.🤷‍♂️🤪🤣

Thanks for our head coach! I think Oregon upgraded. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, McDawg said:

It sure is nice to be able to come to a competitors board and have civil conversation. I may brag a little every now and then, but that is to be expected to a degree. But I will always be both polite and respectful.  The easy part is reading the rules; the hard part is understanding the cultural differences and not knowing the subtleties that might sound like a slight.

Y'all gotta remember that we deal with Bama fans, and that may be the most sensitive fanbase in America! Georgia fans actually don't hate Bama or Saban, but we have found that you never want to give them a negative fact 😆   Georgias fans hate Flarduh and The Barn (Auburn) but actually don't hate Bama...I know, weird.

Great take. You take Bama, I'll match you with the Ohio State 'fans.' 

How do you think Utah is going to do in The Swamp. It will be very interesting to see what time this game kicks off? If its the CBS Game of the Week a 3:30 KO will not be easy on the Utes.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, McDawg said:

How’s the wild boar hunting around your neck of the woods? I’ll be at my brother’s house in Blackshear before and after the game with my loud boar killers.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How do you think Utah is going to do in The Swamp. It will be very interesting to see what time this game kicks off? If its the CBS Game of the Week a 3:30 KO will not be easy on the Utes.

Napier is going to elevate Flarduh pretty quick. Ive known him and his family for years; went to church with them, his dad coached my son, been to their house a 100 times.  Billy knows football. His dad coached till his death if als. Both his brothers are HS head coaches. AND He’s next level class character for them and that’s something the gatas haven’t experienced. They’re gonna be much better but it may take him some time. Mullen left the cupboard bare. Give him two years and fu will be 9-3 or better. 
I don’t really know how the Utes stack up against a limping Flarduh, but even a weak lizard squad is dangerous with decent coaching in the Gainesville heat. Early September, in that part of Flarduh and it could be 110* at field level and 98% humidity . It’s like trying to breath through a wash rag in a sauna. Utah will feel the heat bad. Conditioning will be huge for them but you just can’t prepare for that kind of weather. FU will give ‘em a game for sure. 

On 4/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, Dukduponquak said:

How’s the wild boar hunting around your neck of the woods? I’ll be at my brother’s house in Blackshear before and after the game with my loud boar killers.

In places it’s not terrible. Most people here hate the hogs. They’re considered a non game animal and a pest. Destructive critters. I’m glad there’s not many around  the little farm I live on. 
Good whitetail, good bear, and good turkey tho. Fly fishing is pretty good here too. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I’ll guess Utah v FU will be a 12 noon game on ESPN / ESPN 2 

if it’s at noon, that place will be hotter than Satans outhouse.

Ducks & Dawgs will be probably be a 3:30 game on ESPN 

I don’t think the CBS 3:30 SEC picks up until we start league play. 

On 4/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, McDawg said:

I’ll guess Utah v FU will be a 12 noon game on ESPN / ESPN 2 

if it’s at noon, that place will be hotter than Satans outhouse.

Ducks & Dawgs will be probably be a 3:30 game on ESPN 

I don’t think the CBS 3:30 SEC picks up until we start league play. 

Thanks friend. Do you think there will be TP in Lucifer's outhouse?

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks friend. Do you think there will be TP in Lucifer's outhouse?

It's Flarduh. You should expect a Sears catalog 

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, McDawg said:

It's Flarduh. You should expect a Sears catalog 

Great day 1 draft for Georgia with a record 5 D players being picked in the 1st round including the #1 pick.

(13 of 32 1st rounders, 40+%, from the SEC. The beat goes on.)

I have to think this is good news for the Ducks? No matter how good the replacements for these starting 5 may be, they will not be as good in the 1st game as the Dawgs D was last season. And I say this knowing the back ups are big time recruits and athletes.

BTW, thanks for giving me another reason not to go to Florida,

All Dawgs loathe Flarduh with the fires of a thousand suns. 

Out of our whole schedule this year, Oregon is perhaps the scariest game to us. 
To be truthful, I think Oregon is the game we maybe can least afford to lose and barring a brain fade vs someone  like South Carolina ( Sahkalina ) the Ducks is the team who has the best odds to beat us in the regular season.